2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
62 members (David Lai, Bill McKaig,RPT, David B, Cudo, CyberGene, 14 invisible), 574 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Difference between VSL Bosendorfer and Modern U?
#2976828 05/09/20 02:35 AM
A
angmyu Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I'm thinking about which to buy between vsl visenderfer or modern u.

Does anyone know the difference between VSL Bosenderfer and Modern U or their pros and cons?

Re: Difference between VSL Bosendorfer and Modern U?
angmyu #2976833 05/09/20 03:40 AM
A
A
David B has both libraries and seems to prefer Modern U because it's clear and direct (no room ambience). Another poster likes the Bosendorfer Upright more because of its mellow tone. Here's a post where both libraries are mentioned:

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2963734/1.html

angmyu #2976848 05/09/20 04:50 AM
H
H
I just purchased Modern U and I have the Bosendorfer Upright also. You probably won't go far wrong with either of these two.

I would say Modern U provides a better sound out of the box. The library is only 5GB but VI Labs really nailed the scripting and the software itself. It has better implementation of sympathetic resonance and release sampling. VSL is also good at release sampling but I feel the Modern U has a slight edge over it. I only played Modern U for less than one hour so this might change in the future. It feels so natural that I don't feel like I'm playing a digital piano when I play the Modern U, instead I feel like I'm playing a brand new Yamaha U3 acoustic upright piano, just like the upright pianos most people have in their houses, but it is a well regulated and voiced one and it's always in tune.

For the VSL Bosendorfer Upright, I need to spend a lot of time tweaking the mic positions and velocity curve in order to get the sound that I'm looking for. I don't have the natural feeling of playing an acoustic piano when I play the default setting of VSL Bosendorfer Upright. However, the sample size and the mic positions make this VST very flexible and you can eventually tweak it to your liking. At least that is my feeling. Personally I think it is too mellow out of the box. I adjusted the velocity curve to get that clear attack of each note.

I must say that both pianos have a fairly limited dynamic range compared to other reputable VSTs sampled from concert grands (e.g. VSL Steinway, VSL CFX, Garritan CFX). I don't have as much expression as I have compared to, say other VSL pianos. But it can be suitable for certain style of music. The Bosendorfer Upright has wider dynamic range than Modern U if the velocity curve is tweaked right, simply because Bosendorfer 130 is a much better piano compared to Yamaha U3 in the acoustic world. The sound of Bosendorfer Upright is more woody and sweat if that makes sense. However, even if that Yamaha U3 upright is a mediocre instrument, I still feel enjoyable playing it just like I will enjoy playing on a brand new Yamaha U3. It's not too far away and I think they did something right, especially the release sampling.

Both these two upright VSTs can achieve a soft and mellow sound, and I can play pp fairly easily just like other VSTs. The weak part is the base and the ff sound. Both these two uprights lack that power and clarify from a big grand piano. Ironically, my scale sounds better on these two upright VSTs since notes do not stick out easily like those bright concert grand VSTs.

Last edited by Harpuia; 05/09/20 04:59 AM.
angmyu #2976851 05/09/20 05:05 AM
H
H
One more thing is that the treble of Bosendorfer Upright is too weak in the default setting. Fortunately VSL provides note by note editing and I adjusted the volume of the treble.

angmyu #2977207 05/09/20 10:31 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
D
Here is a comparison between VI Labs Modern U and the VSL Bösendorfer 130 upright pianos. I currently prefer the Modern U. It seems to have a more direct, clear, and powerful sound in the samples. The Bösendorfer is warm, mellow, and has a softer sound to it.

This might not be an accurate comparison because I only have the standard Bösendorfer library that lacks some close and room mics. So you can probably get more out of it with the full library. However, I don't think I would have bought the Bösendorfer if I had purchased the Modern U first. I don't feel compelled to get the full Bösendorfer library (at this time) because the Modern U seems to be enough in the upright department.

Here you go.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Mac mini 2018/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Completed
Duane Shinn Praise and Gospel Course; In Progress
Duane Shinn Pro Secrets Course; On Hold
angmyu #2977222 05/09/20 11:14 PM
H
H
Nice playing as always! Is this also an arrangement from the course that you are taking?

Harpuia #2977227 05/09/20 11:31 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Harpuia
Nice playing as always! Is this also an arrangement from the course that you are taking?

Thanks.

That was an arrangement from the course I just finished (52 Week Crash Course). Now I'm in the Praise and Gospel Course and the arrangements are actually more difficult, but they are all Gospel songs so I won't get tired working on them.

BTW, I agree with everything you said in your Bosendorfer/Modern U comparison. I think it's a very accurate assessment. Thank you for sharing.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Mac mini 2018/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Completed
Duane Shinn Praise and Gospel Course; In Progress
Duane Shinn Pro Secrets Course; On Hold
David B #2977411 05/10/20 12:02 PM
A
angmyu Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Alex C
David B has both libraries and seems to prefer Modern U because it's clear and direct (no room ambience). Another poster likes the Bosendorfer Upright more because of its mellow tone. Here's a post where both libraries are mentioned:

I read all the posts you linked me and it was very helpful. Thank you smile

Originally Posted by Harpuia
I just purchased Modern U and I have the Bosendorfer Upright also. You probably won't go far wrong with either of these two.

Thank you for your detailed explanation! I have VSL CFX and D-274 and planned to upgrade to full version of Bundle, but I changed my mind to purchase only the Bosendorfer Standard separately to purchase Modern U later. When I listen to the official demo or watch YouTube videos, Modern U seemed to be an instrument that impresses the piano player a little more as you said. However, considering that VSL Bosendorfer is a little ahead of the dynamic range and that Bosendorfer 130 is a better piano than Yamaha U3, having a VSL with Modern U would not be a bad choice! My wallet is the only problem. smile

Originally Posted by David B
Here is a comparison between VI Labs Modern U and the VSL Bösendorfer 130 upright pianos. I currently prefer the Modern U. It seems to have a more direct, clear, and powerful sound in the samples. The Bösendorfer is warm, mellow, and has a softer sound to it.
Here you go.

God Bless,
David

Including this video, thanks to the demos you played on your YouTube channel. They helped me a lot in my choice. I'll buy the standard of VSL Bosendorfer first, and buy Modern U when there is a discount event of it later. Thank you, David.

angmyu #2981002 05/19/20 04:42 AM
A
A
Listening to the official demos, the Modern U can sound bright and clear, but it can also sound more intimate and warm or 'cinematic'. To be honest, I'm more drawn to the latter, as heard in the demos of Justin Kauflin or Ruslan Sirota. The first demo track 'Dreams Change' is probably the reason why I eventually will buy this library. I wish there was a 'try before buy' option.

https://www.vilabsaudio.com/modernu

Last edited by Alex C; 05/19/20 04:43 AM.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Casio CDP-S350 / 150 now available in USA
by PianoManChuck - 07/12/20 11:46 AM
Brodmann vs Boston vs Yamaha?
by sdag - 07/12/20 10:12 AM
Warning for second hand sellers
by KevinM - 07/12/20 09:36 AM
Key weight setting
by CajunJ - 07/12/20 09:10 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,218
Posts2,979,843
Members97,750
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission