2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
53 members (Busyx2, Burkie, Beagle21, cmb13, accordeur, 36251, Brendan, 10 invisible), 482 guests, and 451 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 19 1 2 17 18 19
Re: War and Peace - Tolstoy
Stremity #2945475 02/11/20 10:59 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stremity
I read that at that time, writers were paid for the volume, so the book turned out to be so long.

Welcome to PW, Stremity.

Well, Tolstoy was paid handsomely per 'printer page' so he certainly wasn't incentivized to have a short novel ๐Ÿ˜‚. That said, he was paid the same way for Anna Karenina and that one is considerably shorter.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
cmb13 #2945715 02/11/20 09:14 PM
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Well, I have read it all. Forgive the lack of commentary on Pierre/Natasha, Nikolai/Marya, and their kith and kin and their relationships to each other smile

I suppose one could read the epilogues and the appendix and go back and look for the ways that Tolstoy illustrated each concept in telling the stories of the wars and battles, both military and civilian laugh , from 1805 to 1812 - but I don't have the energy or the time. I didn't even have the energy to really follow all the ins and outs of the last of the discourse on history/philosophy/religion/science, tho at some other time that might also be fascinating.

I'm really glad I read it, and I appreciate you folks starting this thread and all the commentary. I learned a lot, found some food for thought, agreed with some things, disagreed with some (or, at least if I understood it the way it was meant I disagreed laugh ), but on the whole I thought Tolstoy had a deep understanding of humans, and his sense of all the small things that happen previously making the next things predetermined, and that there is no beginning and no end to it, and how people act on a cusp between freedom and necessity - or seemingly so - had a lot of resonance for me.

But now I'm going to finish a couple of other books I've been reading on and off, and continue to read mysteries for the fun of it, and pay attention to the books for a couple of book clubs, and play piano, and walk, and otherwise enjoy my freedom - uh, er - from War and Peace!

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
cmb13 #2945716 02/11/20 09:16 PM
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
And I am going to *astound* the library by returning their book! laugh

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
jotur #2945739 02/11/20 10:01 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jotur
Well, I have read it all. Forgive the lack of commentary on Pierre/Natasha, Nikolai/Marya, and their kith and kin and their relationships to each other smile

I suppose one could read the epilogues and the appendix and go back and look for the ways that Tolstoy illustrated each concept in telling the stories of the wars and battles, both military and civilian laugh , from 1805 to 1812 - but I don't have the energy or the time. I didn't even have the energy to really follow all the ins and outs of the last of the discourse on history/philosophy/religion/science, tho at some other time that might also be fascinating.

I'm really glad I read it, and I appreciate you folks starting this thread and all the commentary. I learned a lot, found some food for thought, agreed with some things, disagreed with some (or, at least if I understood it the way it was meant I disagreed laugh ), but on the whole I thought Tolstoy had a deep understanding of humans, and his sense of all the small things that happen previously making the next things predetermined, and that there is no beginning and no end to it, and how people act on a cusp between freedom and necessity - or seemingly so - had a lot of resonance for me.

But now I'm going to finish a couple of other books I've been reading on and off, and continue to read mysteries for the fun of it, and pay attention to the books for a couple of book clubs, and play piano, and walk, and otherwise enjoy my freedom - uh, er - from War and Peace!

Congrats on finishing this Cathy, and thanks for joining us for this reading! I'm impressed you read the 2nd appendix. I tell myself, someday I will.... but... LOL

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
cmb13 #2945771 02/12/20 12:28 AM
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Rereading this thread is a treat! We had such a variety of insights and comments, and often figured out what Tolstoy was aiming at philosophically (so maybe I don't have to go back to the book and look for the illustrations some day - we did it here!) This was a really fun off-topic thread laugh

Cathy
jotur #2948023 02/17/20 01:04 PM
D
D
Congrats, Cathy, on finishing the book and thanks for your invariably insightful comments. Sorry, I disappeared for a while from both Tolstoy threads--too much going on at work as the semester has picked up. I'll start catching up on the Anna K thread soon.

I know this is late but yes, you were absolutely right in your interpretation of Sonya's letter here. Poor Sonya...

Originally Posted by jotur

Did I interpret it right that Sonya only sent the letter setting Nicolai free when she needed again to feel like she was sacrificing, but really thought that Andrei would live and reconcile with Natasha, so that it was impossible for Nicolai to marry Marya? In other words, she thought she was safe from the consequences of setting Nicolai free? Poor Sonya - she could end up like Boris's mother or Pierre's cousins.

cmb13 #2948051 02/17/20 01:55 PM
cmb13 Online Content OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks everyone for participating in this thread. Having a discussion with people of a common interest from anywhere in the world is a truly unique experience, and one that I will not soon forget. I've learned a ton from this book and from your insights as well and really enjoyed this time!

Special thanks, again, to Dumka for donating her professional-level experience to the cause!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
cmb13 #2948154 02/17/20 05:19 PM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Well said CMB13. (Craig). It was a great experience. As is the Anna K. thread.

[Linked Image]

Kawai NV10
TomLC #2948165 02/17/20 05:34 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TomLC

Three cheers for dumka1! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Three cheers for all those who read along with us an contributed to this thread! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

It'll be interesting to see if some future W&P readers find this thread and add to it. ๐Ÿค”

[Linked Image]

cmb13 #2948437 02/18/20 09:08 AM
D
D
You are all very welcome, my pleasure, really!

cmb13 #2962071 03/30/20 11:05 PM
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Well, I just finished Catch-22 (last read, I suppose, about the same time I last read W&P) and the parallels with War and Peace were extraordinary, at least to me. It was kind of War and Peace on warp drive.

I laughed so many times in War and Peace, at the society scenes, and the officer scenes, and the enlisted men scenes, and they were much the same scenes as in Catch-22 - Colonel Korn manipulating Colonel Cathcart like officers manipulating Kutukov, General Peckham scheming to get all the air squadrons in Special Sections and to replace General Dreedle, much like the German/Austrian/Russian officers schemed to gain more power/prestige, Colonel Cathcart upping the missions all the time, and making sure the bombs went off in a small area, so maybe he could be in the Saturday Evening Post and the Polish guy that kept making elaborate plans on paper that so obviously had nothing to do with reality of the terrain or the strength of the armies. And on and on. And the comic scenes suddenly turned horrific. The soldiers on leave rioting, looting, raping as they went. And Milo Minderbinder, only profiting, somewhat like the landowner who sold his peasants to buy a horse, and the town council members who all volunteered a percentage of their peasants to go fight. Amazing.

Cathy
Tyrone Slothrop #2962271 03/31/20 03:13 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Three cheers for all those who read along with us an contributed to this thread! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

It'll be interesting to see if some future W&P readers find this thread and add to it. ๐Ÿค”

Indeed! I have read along with interest, although didnโ€™t comment. My experience with โ€œWar and Peaceโ€ is a little different, as I have approached it in the past for Russian language learning. I have read it in the past in English, a few decades ago, and watched the Mosfilm movie many times. I had an intention or expectation to read along in Russian, but my reading skills have gotten rusty from disuse (not to mention eye strain)! โ€” so I dropped out before really getting started.

However, Iโ€™m amazed at Dumkaโ€™s care and attention to this thread, in addition to her regular teaching duties. Thanks to everyone who read and commented, it has been most interesting to read the different viewpoints.

cefinow #2976766 05/08/20 09:00 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by cefinow
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Indeed! I have read along with interest, although didnโ€™t comment. My experience with โ€œWar and Peaceโ€ is a little different, as I have approached it in the past for Russian language learning. I have read it in the past in English, a few decades ago, and watched the Mosfilm movie many times. I had an intention or expectation to read along in Russian, but my reading skills have gotten rusty from disuse (not to mention eye strain)! โ€” so I dropped out before really getting started.

However, Iโ€™m amazed at Dumkaโ€™s care and attention to this thread, in addition to her regular teaching duties. Thanks to everyone who read and commented, it has been most interesting to read the different viewpoints.
ะกะฟะฐัะธะฑะพ! I was inspired by the people here, and I love this novel so much, was glad to participate. I feel a little guilty abandoning the Anna Karenina thread (haven't been on the forum at all for over a month, with all the craziness going on), but it seems like that thread didn't have as much participation, although it was also quite lively early on. (I don't mean this as criticism, I'm actually glad I didn't miss much).

Page 19 of 19 1 2 17 18 19

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai means cute and adorable
by Fleer - 05/26/20 06:12 PM
What happened to the 'real' Feurich?
by williambonard - 05/26/20 03:51 PM
An easier arrangement of Bach 639
by Chordo24 - 05/26/20 01:54 PM
Tuning book from 1860
by Craig Hair - 05/26/20 01:01 PM
So hereโ€™s an odd piano for sale.
by jakedaniel - 05/26/20 11:51 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,202
Posts2,962,478
Members97,191
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission