2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,596 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Nahum Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
N
The former student practically embodies the idea of ​​a close connection between improvisation and spoken language - but in the correct English language:

https://www.facebook.com/olevine/videos/10159714606913098/?t=56

N
Nahum Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
N
The gradual transformation of Billy Holiday's prosaic speech into rhythmic speech, riff and instrumental melodic sentence :
https://soundcloud.com/jazzman1945/from-talking-till-improvising

The basic idea is this: if someone thinks that art is born behind the marble walls of the Palace of Arts, then he is mistaken - endless materials for art are scattered everywhere, anywhere: inside us, on the floor of a house, on the street in rainy weather. You just need to focus on the phenomenon, to frame it and come back to it repeatedly - like a bottle of Coca-Cola by Andy Warhol.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Naham

Only watched your student video.
Very cool - it made me think of Mose Allison!

Cheers

Simon

Casio PX-S3000
Korg SV2S (73)

ABRSM Grade 7 distinction 2023.
Decent blues/rock Pianist.
Try to play Jazz Piano, but pretty rubbish.
Studying ABRSM grade 8 now.

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B

N
Nahum Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by beeboss
Of course; he is my light and guide! !

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Nahum
Of course; he is my light and guide! !

And mine
I love this one as well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVajWqWdEco

N
Nahum Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
N
And mine
I love this one as well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVajWqWdEco
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_AFJ7NPcEA

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Barry Harris method teaches improvisation skills.

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
N
Nahum Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by rintincop
Barry Harris method teaches improvisation skills.
And also Dave Frank ,Bob Stoloff, John Mehegan, Lenny Tristano, Jerry Cocker, Charlie Banacus, David Baker, Bert Ligon, Jerry Bergonzi, Hal Crook,Hal Galper , Gary Burton, Shelly Berg, Ron Miller, Youssef Lateef, Dave Liebman, Ed Baker , Bill Dobbins, Mark Levine, Frank Mantooth, Charlie Austin, Tim Richards, Jim McNeely, Dan Greenblatt, Jason Klobnak , Graham Collier, Martial Solal, Joe Viera, Igor Bril, Roman Stolyar, Yuri Chugunov( I apologize to all those whose materials I also studied over the years and also bring thanks , but could not remember at the moment).

So...?

Last edited by Nahum; 05/06/20 04:49 AM.
N
Nahum Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
N
It happens that the initial stage of studying improvisation skills by beginners, stylistically not exactly defined (this does not mean that the result will not be influenced by music already heard in one genre or another, before in the field of rhythms).The process of modern teaching of improvisation is overwhelmingly, with few exceptions, focused on jazz improvisation, and is extremely academic to take pride of place in academic institutions (ivory towers), along with traditional improvisation courses in the genres of baroque, rococo, classical and romantic, which also requires study of counterpoint ( not for beginners !).
I'm not even talking about free improvisation and improve music - there are scanty number of textbooks on this subject, two of which are in my library (" Improvisation games for classical musicians" by Jeffrey Agrell and "Modern Improvisation: A Practical Guide for Piano" by Roman Stolyar).
In such circumstances, when on the one hand we are not talking about jazz improvisation, on the other hand, not about Bach's style improvisation , on the third hand, not in the Arabic or Indian style, on the fourth hand there are no clear methodologies , it remains to invent them!
My very diligent student, plays the piano for 2.5 years, suddenly announced at beginning of the semester that he wanted to study improvisation, but not in jazz and not in pop style ( he studied only classical pieces ) . The elementary theory - major& minor scales, 5 types of chords, voice leading , functions, he already knows; which makes it easier to focus on the melodic line.
I do not have much experience teaching this type of improvisation, although I can improvise in the classical (academic) style on the piano and violin; however, the beginner has none of this. I had to search the Internet, and everything I found is too high for my student. Maybe there is something better, but I did not find anything systematized, with the exception of the mention of scales, chords and Alberti bass . Then the idea came to transfer the initial tactics for improvisation from melodicaaaa to the piano; namely: to hold a drone in the left hand and to play a simple sequence of 2-3 pitches in the right hand, starting from the root; and carefully listening to the alternating senses of tension and resolution in the interaction of the melody and drone. This is exactly where the music begins!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Have you studied improvisation with Barry Harris?

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
N
Nahum Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by rintincop
Have you studied improvisation with Barry Harris?
With him personally, no; however, two of my students participated for quite some time in his workshop, so I’m familiar with his basic teaching principles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHykAVyNWFI

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission