2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Barry_Braksick, Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, 8 invisible), 1,576 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Hi all, I have finally joined the land of acoustics. My original intent was to upgrade my DGX-660 to a higher end digital like the CA79 but the sales person convinced me to also check out the acoustic uprights. I stayed away from acoustics because of noise concerns but once she revealed the muffler feature, i was sold. This was my first time playing an acoustic and I have to say, the action and feel is incredible. I will keep my DGX-660 or upgrade it to a P-515 for night practice and the different sounds (I like the sound of the Bosendorfer).

The K300 is used, made in 2016 and in excellent condition. Price was $4700 including: 5 year transferable Kawai warranty, lifetime full value Kawai trade-in, first tune and adjustable bench. I think it was a good deal. They also had a used K200 which was newer but the sales person recommended I get the K300. The price delta wasn't that much. Should be delivered this week. Very excited.

[img]https://imgur.com/a/9ge0Ddk[/img]

Anything to look out for owning an acoustic besides tuning? Also, is there any material out there that goes over the different parts of an acoustic and how they work? Thanks.

Currently: Yamaha P-515
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Congrats on your new piano!

Anything to look out for? Yes! Humidity! You’ll need to buy a hygrometer (Amazon is a good place) and possibly a humidifier or dehumidifier (or both) depending on your climate. The recommended humidity is usually in the range of 40-50% but this depends on your outside temperature. My tuner has recommended 35-40% for me in my winter months as we’re cold and extremely dry. Every time he tunes, he checks off whether the owner is using a humidity control.

You may also want to buy a rug and pad to dampen the sound a bit if that’s required. I did. I don’t like my practice pedal because it makes the sound too soft and I can’t hear myself practice so I prefer to use my digital at night. My digital is not very good compared to my piano, but it’s an option.

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 05/03/20 12:12 PM.

Kawai K500
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Here’s an article that covers everything in detail. Congratulations on your purchase!

https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/caring-for-your-piano/

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
OP Offline
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
Congrats on your new piano!

Anything to look out for? Yes! Humidity! You’ll need to buy a hygrometer (Amazon is a good place) and possibly a humidifier or dehumidifier (or both) depending on your climate. The recommended humidity is usually in the range of 40-50% but this depends on your outside temperature. My tuner has recommended 35-40% for me in my winter months as we’re cold and extremely dry. Every time he tunes, he checks off whether the owner is using a humidity control.

You may also want to buy a rug and pad to dampen the sound a bit if that’s required. I did. I don’t like my practice pedal because it makes the sound too soft and I can’t hear myself practice so I prefer to use my digital at night. My digital is not very good compared to my piano, but it’s an option.

Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Here’s an article that covers everything in detail. Congratulations on your purchase!

https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/caring-for-your-piano/

Thanks. Very helpful.

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Congratulations on your new Kawai.

Have its first tuning a few eeeks later when the piano gets used to its new environment.
And at least twice a year then
Place it about 3-4 inches from an interior wall.
Keep humidity around 35-55%.
Keep it away from direct sun light, heating/ventilating sources.

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your new Kawai 300!!! Now that you’ve gotten all the expert advice posted above, I get to just co-enjoy your waiting delivery for your piano! Hurray. You can actually dance around the room in healthy excitement. I’m so happy for you. It’s so exciting getting a new to you piano. For non piano nerds it’s like getting a new car or boat.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Hakki

Have its first tuning a few eeeks later when the piano gets used to its new environment.
Humidity at 33% ? I would say no lower than 45 %
Surely at 33% the soundboard is at risk ?
I would get a good humidifier ,dehumidifier and a hygrometer.

I stay in Vancouver BC so I aim to try and stay between 48% and 56%.The smaller the range the better. Avoid humidity levels below 40.% (the piano will also stay in tune longer in smaller ranges.)

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your new Kawai upright piano!

I'm a fan of Kawai pianos, and own two of them. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
OP Offline

Yep, that's spot on. The free tuning is scheduled for about 5 weeks after the piano is delivered to give it time to settle.

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

I bought the Kawai K-18, 13 years ago. Last year the tech did a tuning, voicing and regulation and it feels like it's still new.

Last edited by Serge88; 05/03/20 01:41 PM.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Lady Bird

Humidity at 33% ? I would say no lower than 45 %

I stay in Vancouver BC so I aim to try and stay between 48% and 56%.The smaller the range the better. Avoid humidity levels below 40.% (the piano will also stay in tune longer in smaller ranges.)

Well actually it says 45% is ideal but 35-70 is acceptable .

http://www.kawai-global.com/mgr/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Caring-for-your-Kawai-Piano.pdf

OP Offline
Originally Posted by j&j
Congratulations on your new Kawai 300!!! Now that you’ve gotten all the expert advice posted above, I get to just co-enjoy your waiting delivery for your piano! Hurray. You can actually dance around the room in healthy excitement. I’m so happy for you. It’s so exciting getting a new to you piano. For non piano nerds it’s like getting a new car or boat.

I'm very excited and actually really enjoyed the shopping experience as i got to play around with some very expensive grands like the real SK-EX, CFX and Bosendorfer Imperial. Maybe in the future when i win a lottery, i'll consider one of those, lol.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I would say no lower than 45 %

Trying to minimize the extremes is more important than the absolute target %. Manufacturers have their own guidance as well. My home varies between 35% in winter and 60% (with the assistance of a dehumidifier) when it’s rainy and not warm enough to be cycling the central A/C. In my situation, with a little more work (either adding humidity in winter or replacing a couple suspect windows), I might end up between 40-60%, annually.

In climates with very cold, dry winters, it’s impossible to get the humidity up to even 40% without continuously running a humidifier and causing damage to wooden window casements.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
Ubu Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Your new piano looks wonderful, and considering the prices of new high-end digitals you have gone for the best posible option. Congratulations

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
In climates with very cold, dry winters, it’s impossible to get the humidity up to even 40% without continuously running a humidifier and causing damage to wooden window casements.

This is exactly why my tuner has told me to aim for 35-40% in the winter months, which I maintain. Anything more can cause wet woodwork and mould.

But OP is in Houston, TX, so I don’t think their climate has cold and dry winters like ours?

Kawai K500
OP Offline
But OP is in Houston, TX, so I don’t think their climate has cold and dry winters like ours?

That is correct. Houston is incredibly humid. We have maybe a few weeks in the year when it's a little not-humid.

My Nest thermostat reports the internal humidity around 55%. Nevertheless, i'll get another hygrometer to keep closer to the Piano.

B
BDB Offline
B
My father used to say that Houston was hot and humid all summer, and the summer lasted 18 months.

Semipro Tech
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L

This is exactly why my tuner has told me to aim for 35-40% in the winter months, which I maintain. Anything more can cause wet woodwork and mould.

Perhaps because I have only been more conscious of humidity problems with pianos recently
when we were looking for a new piano ?
Well one has to work with the climate where you live.Vancouver can go as high as 65 at certain
times of the year, so making 56 my target is best for me or I would have to have the humidifier on at all times in summer and fall.
Sauter says between 45 and 60 ,which seems a fairly large range.

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by BDB
My father used to say that Houston was hot and humid all summer, and the summer lasted 18 months.

Hot and humid is how I like it. Humidity is great for my skin. Unfortunately, I have to live is cold and dry. frown

Kawai K500
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Perhaps because I have only been more conscious of humidity problems with pianos recently
when we were looking for a new piano ?
Well one has to work with the climate where you live.Vancouver can go as high as 65 at certain
times of the year, so making 56 my target is best for me or I would have to have the humidifier on at all times in summer and fall.
Sauter says between 45 and 60 ,which seems a fairly large range.

This will be the first summer that I will have my hygrometer so I will know how our summers are but I have a feeling we are dry all year, which really sucks. Extremely dry (cracking, bleeding skin) in the winter, and very dry in the summer. I’ll see.

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 05/03/20 02:32 PM.

Kawai K500
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission