2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
53 members (ambrozy, Beansparrow, anotherscott, 36251, apianostudent, accordeur, AndrewJCW, 13 invisible), 612 guests, and 570 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Will I Ever Get Back to Work?
#2973383 04/30/20 02:55 PM
Duaner Offline OP
OP Offline
I have not tuned a piano (but my own) since March 15th. How about you?

Duane Graves

"Pushin 70...still haven fun I think..."
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Will I Ever Get Back to Work?
Duaner #2973409 04/30/20 04:22 PM
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
March 12th here.

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
Duaner #2973433 04/30/20 05:37 PM
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Fri Mar. 20th last tuning.
Just changed a set of humidifier pads today on a system that was blinking red. Customer preferred now rather than waiting. They have been isolating and we have low incidence of coronavirus here.
Don't anticipate doing regular tunings again until May 17 or 18. That is for a summer resort hotel which had postponed their opening from 5/1 to 5/21. We'll see if that date holds ...

Thankfully, I have a backlog of shop work (restring 5'2" grand and new soundboard in 7'6" grand) plus keeping up with "remote piano service" like the lady that had the broken keys that mailed them in and was so happy to get a functional piano (see post "At the end of the day"). Also, we have the internet piano component sales business.

I'm thinking of doing a "next tuning free" for my music teacher clients who have been hit harder than I have.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
Duaner #2973456 04/30/20 06:42 PM
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Duaner
I have not tuned a piano (but my own) since March 15th. How about you?

My last one was March 12th. It was in the afternoon, and I was tuning as the customer was watching TV as the President declared a state of emergency.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
Duaner #2973472 04/30/20 07:27 PM
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I wonder how many tuners in their 60s or 70s will finally decide that the calmer life around the home is better than going back to tuning.

Chris Leslie
Piano technician
http://www.chrisleslie.com.au
Chris Leslie #2973478 04/30/20 07:45 PM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
What is this calmer life you speak of? smile

I have spent a lot of the day dealing with the cancellation of our band season, plus associated issues that arose from that.

I had someone call for a tuning today, as well. She is willing to wait.

Semipro Tech
Duaner #2973485 04/30/20 08:01 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I got a call last week for a tuning. Unfortunately, they were about 9 hours away... right town, wrong state!...great SEO!!! wink

Duaner #2973613 05/01/20 08:23 AM
B
Online Content
B
The last tuning I did was in the home of our county health official.

Bob Runyan, RPT
Chico, CA
www.runyanpiano.com
Duaner #2973618 05/01/20 08:35 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm glad I tuner part-time! But when things open up I doubt many people and institutions will be able to afford it. And once they get used to the piano ALWAYS being out of tune, well, why bother. Soooo... I just might run an ad offering free tunings for a couple months to local institutions as a way to "celebrate" the lifting of restrictions. But my business plan is very different than others'. I see what I do as more of a community service, and I WANT people to have tuned pianos, not just simply want them to hire me to tune. Kinda funny here. I've been able to to cash checks at a bank without ID just by saying I'm so-and-so's Dad. smile

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
Chris Leslie #2973631 05/01/20 09:10 AM
Duaner Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Chris Leslie
I wonder how many tuners in their 60s or 70s will finally decide that the calmer life around the home is better than going back to tuning.

Good Point, Chris. I wonder that myself "about myself". I'm already retired from my long-term employment and will be 69 in July....but I have been into tuning/light repairs for eight years so I'm wondering....but then I think it does lend to a sense of "adventure/intrigue" and get me out of the house and you meet some "interesting" and nice people (some not-so-nice....o, ya) to say the least. Maybe I'll just cut my tunings in half or perhaps follow Jeff's lead at least partially and offer "some" of them free (or half price if your on old age pension or if your dog doesn't bite me) something like that (NOT). Good point though....

Last edited by Duaner; 05/01/20 09:14 AM.

Duane Graves

"Pushin 70...still haven fun I think..."
Duaner #2973652 05/01/20 10:02 AM
D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
I think there is a much better case for offering a service free, than offering it for half price.

Free makes it obvious that you are doing a community service out of goodwill. Half-price somewhat implies that you normally charge double what you should.

I'm not into cut-price tunings at all. Added-value services for free, yes, maybe, like fixing something that's broken or needing adjustment, during a tuning visit, and not charging for that.

Don't give people the idea that they can negotiate for you to work for half price. They know they can't negotiate for you to work for free, and that if you're doing that, it's charitable, which is fine. "The worker is worthy of his hire".

Duaner #2973708 05/01/20 12:32 PM
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Remember that when you tune a piano for free, you are taking revenue away from another tuner that needs it. I can understand some doing some free work for charitable institutions and such.....

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
accordeur #2973718 05/01/20 12:56 PM
B
B
Originally Posted by accordeur
Remember that when you tune a piano for free, you are taking revenue away from another tuner that needs it. I can understand some doing some free work for charitable institutions and such.....

Doing it for free is not taking work away from anyone...Its goodwill..but frankly If someone needs their piano tuned they can afford it...

accordeur #2973796 05/01/20 04:00 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
And so does tuning for money - someone else would tune if I didn't, right? wink But I get your point. I would only offer this in my own "territory." There are no actual boundaries set between tuners around here, but people in rural areas tend to prefer someone local.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
accordeur #2974056 05/02/20 11:40 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
In Russia, there is a good tradition to do any service for free. even if a client is financially wealthy, he has money to pay. For people main thing is that no one knows about this free service.
I am always doing just that. I don't care what others think it about

Duaner #2974150 05/02/20 03:51 PM
T
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
T
I've continued to work since my state & city has not had an official lock down. Some of my business has stopped like the local school system and some has picked up. Since people are home they figured it was a good time to get the piano tuned. Another interesting phenomena is that piano lessons are being taught online, therefore the teacher is hearing their home piano and telling them they really need to have it tuned. I've been tuning some really horrible pianos but, since I charge more for a pitch correction, it's helped my income a little.
Here's some protocols I've been following:

So, assuming everyone is feeling well & healthy here's some tips.

1. Be sure to wear a mask. Depending on the kind of mask you use it may not protect you but it should help protect others around you. We're finding out that many people don't show symptoms but do have the virus.
2. Wipe down the keys with an antiseptic wipe. I also wipe down the surrounding area and then wipe it off with a dry towel. I know there's some concern about damaging the keys or wood but right now there are bigger things to be concerned about.
3. Request that the person meeting you at the door wears a mask and that other people are in another part of the house.
4. Consider a UV light. I got a UV light that's battery powered (rechargable) and set it on the piano to help disinfect the area.
5. Latex gloves. This would be more for you than for the customer. It's another layer of protection although if you've disinfected the keys I think you should be safe.
6. Hand sanitizer. If you can find it!!
7. Social distancing. Do the best you can...

"That Tuning Guy"
Scott Kerns
Lincoln, NE
www.thattuningguy.com
That Guy #2974160 05/02/20 04:24 PM
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by That Guy
I've continued to work since my state & city has not had an official lock down. Some of my business has stopped like the local school system and some has picked up. Since people are home they figured it was a good time to get the piano tuned. Another interesting phenomena is that piano lessons are being taught online, therefore the teacher is hearing their home piano and telling them they really need to have it tuned. I've been tuning some really horrible pianos but, since I charge more for a pitch correction, it's helped my income a little.
Here's some protocols I've been following:

So, assuming everyone is feeling well & healthy here's some tips.

1. Be sure to wear a mask. Depending on the kind of mask you use it may not protect you but it should help protect others around you. We're finding out that many people don't show symptoms but do have the virus.
2. Wipe down the keys with an antiseptic wipe. I also wipe down the surrounding area and then wipe it off with a dry towel. I know there's some concern about damaging the keys or wood but right now there are bigger things to be concerned about.
3. Request that the person meeting you at the door wears a mask and that other people are in another part of the house.
4. Consider a UV light. I got a UV light that's battery powered (rechargable) and set it on the piano to help disinfect the area.
5. Latex gloves. This would be more for you than for the customer. It's another layer of protection although if you've disinfected the keys I think you should be safe.
6. Hand sanitizer. If you can find it!!
7. Social distancing. Do the best you can...

Yep, all good measures. I'm trying to think about what tuning post-Corona is going to look like. At the very least, it will include the 7 measures you brought up. I'm also thinking some form of contactless payment will be #8. Maybe email them an invoice and let them pay electronically. Going to be a bit cumbersome going forward, I think.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
Duaner #2974242 05/02/20 07:46 PM
T
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
T
Contactless payment is a great idea 👍 There's an app called VENMO who's parent company is PayPal. My daughter uses it and I've had customers ask me about it. I actually downloaded the app and signed up but I didn't like how it posted (like social media) who I sent money to or got money from. I'm now told you can turn off that feature. So, I might give it another try.

"That Tuning Guy"
Scott Kerns
Lincoln, NE
www.thattuningguy.com

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2021 Free Newsletter for piano lovers is here now...
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to sound like Scriabin
by pianoloverus - 01/22/21 08:10 PM
Most realistic Piano VST?
by Rickdiculous - 01/22/21 06:13 PM
An exemplary piano quiz
by Withindale - 01/22/21 05:57 PM
First DP -- PC Connectivity Question
by Mikex3 - 01/22/21 03:09 PM
CA99 vs LX706
by David Izquierdo - 01/22/21 02:50 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,470
Posts3,050,290
Members100,180
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission