2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
43 members (ando, akc42, Bett, Alex_G, Alex C, AZNpiano, apianostudent, blueviewlaguna., 9 invisible), 373 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Berhinger XR18 or Midas MR18
#2972538 04/28/20 04:30 AM
A
Abdol Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Does anyone here own the XR18 or MR18? And other than wifi issue, what other issues they possibly can have?

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Re: Berhinger XR18 or Midas MR18
Abdol #2972562 04/28/20 07:25 AM
W
W
I have the Behringer XR12 which is very comparable to the XR18 digital mixer.

It's unbelievable how much value these little mixers give for the money. I paid for the XR12 249EUR.
The XR18 has more channels and has a full audio interface for PC recording, the XR12 has direct USB 2 channel stereo recording. We use this latter option a lot during practicing. From what I have read the Midas mixers are basically the same as the Behringer but have better pre-amps. Not sure if it's worth the extra money.

We have it in use for about a year now and it works as intended. We use it when practising/performing with a 3 person band and connect 2 guitars, keyboard, stage piano and up to 3 mics. I have made individual settings for every song that we perform and you can retrieve these settings rather quickly. Positive points: low noise on connections, decent range of effects, wireless control via Ipad or Android app, small form factor.
Without an Ipad or other pad you can't change anything although the mixer still works without connection to a pad. You can also control it wired with a laptop if you are concerned about the wifi.

I have tried to control it wireless up to about 15 meter distance without any issues. We did not encounter interference from other cell phones when there is public present. Make sure that you change the wifi settings because by default it's an open access point. Being able to control it wireless is a huge plus because you can hear and control your sound from everywere in the room. The wifi antenna is fragile, I broke the plastic cover very quickly but it still works. The antenna itself is just a flexible fibre.

There are plenty tutorials and reviews on YT for these mixers.

Abdol #2972613 04/28/20 11:30 AM
T
T
Certain forums have their own strengths. To read up on the XR18 and MR18, search gearslutz.com. It’s the most active forum for technical/recording matters and digital “mixerfaces” are frequent topics there.

Tom Fort #2972702 04/28/20 03:39 PM
A
Abdol Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Tom Fort
Certain forums have their own strengths. To read up on the XR18 and MR18, search gearslutz.com. It’s the most active forum for technical/recording matters and digital “mixerfaces” are frequent topics there.

I have gone through almost every relevant posts in gearslutz and other similar forums.

In gearslutz only 10% or less of the posts are usually relevant to what I have posted and it either takes a long time or barely got an insightful answer. I have posted a question to compare Zoom L12 and XR18, and in 1 year got only one answer.

So I got a feedback as good as Gearslutz here! Thanks, Willem63.

Just wondering if the master bus and channel effects are shared or master bus can have its own effects? (I know there are 4 effects but don't know if they are shared with master bus or it has its own effect line)

Last edited by Abdol; 04/28/20 03:41 PM.

Abdol #2972730 04/28/20 04:41 PM
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Keyboard Corner can also be a good source of this kind of information.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
Abdol #2972835 04/28/20 08:28 PM
T
T
The biggest knocks on the XR18 I've heard (other than the wi-fi dropouts in crowded environments; bring a laptop and ethernet cable to wire directly our through an external router as backup) are mostly about the lack of tactile control when moving to a tablet-based digital mixer. This is especially true if you're performing as well as mixing/recording. Also for some people it's a dealbreaker that it can't record at rates above 48K, and the lack of manual is not offset for some by the plethora of online video tutorials. The MR18 has lockable Neutrik connectors and supposedly quieter preamps, but it costs a LOT more. The prices at the overseas shops are much better than the US stores. I keep thinking that an update to make the XR18 more up-to-date (USB-C connector, recording at 96K or 192K, bluetooth connection for break music).

Abdol #2972973 04/29/20 01:21 PM
W
W
@Abdol: the 4 effects are shared, you can’t add effects directly to the main output channel. You can download the free xair software and run in demo mode to get an idea.

@ Tom Fort: to control the mixer via an iPad is very convinient: I put the iPad on my sheetmusic holder and you control the faders while playing. I could not place my old analog mixer directly on my piano.

Abdol #2973054 04/29/20 05:17 PM
S
S
I'd pick the Midas if you expect to use many mics simultaneously; for example when recording drums. If you only plan to use one or two mics get the Behringer and a mic preamp if you feel you need it. Personally I find the pres to be fine for my baby blue bottle. If you have high-end mics you might want to get a similarly high-end pre.

Abdol #2973317 04/30/20 01:14 PM
A
Abdol Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Willem63
@Abdol: the 4 effects are shared, you can’t add effects directly to the main output channel. You can download the free xair software and run in demo mode to get an idea.

@ Tom Fort: to control the mixer via an iPad is very convinient: I put the iPad on my sheetmusic holder and you control the faders while playing. I could not place my old analog mixer directly on my piano.

Thanks. It seems there is a master compressor which is neat. I also installed the Midas app and it seems when I click on the master line, there are some effects available. ?

Originally Posted by sleutelbos
I'd pick the Midas if you expect to use many mics simultaneously; for example when recording drums. If you only plan to use one or two mics get the Behringer and a mic preamp if you feel you need it. Personally I find the pres to be fine for my baby blue bottle. If you have high-end mics you might want to get a similarly high-end pre.

Thanks for the input. MIDAS is almost 2 times more expensive. The only information I found regarding noise levels was input 1 and 2 have higher noise levels. Is there going to be any issues if I use regular Shure sm58s or Audio-Technica AT2023? (these are the mics I have at the moment) and for now I need a maximum of 8 inputs. Of course when the pandemy is over!!!

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hammer Drilling Jig
by BDB - 07/10/20 12:15 AM
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-700 Series
by Almaviva - 07/09/20 09:57 PM
Chicago's "Colour My World"
by MacMorrighan - 07/09/20 09:53 PM
Re-envisioning the Piano Recital: An Audiovisual Alternative
by Tyrone Slothrop - 07/09/20 08:18 PM
Avantgrand N3 repair and regulation
by Eric NYC - 07/09/20 07:00 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,155
Posts2,978,932
Members97,722
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission