2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
85 members (Adagiette, anotherscott, 36251, beeboss, Alfred La Fleur, Bill McKaig,RPT, AndyOnThePiano, A. Lucato, 18 invisible), 1,429 guests, and 426 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I have polished the Yamaha letters on my G7 several times over the years and just used whatever metal polish I had around. Ended up nice and shiny and did not hurt the finish. That's all any 'pro' would do.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Ah, this reminds me, I have a polishing cloth for silver around here somewhere. I wonder if that would make any improvement (even without using anything). I'll have to google about the vinegar, I've heard vinegar is actually quite strong (hence its use as a cleaning agent).

Re Lady Bird's comment (IIRC), it doesn't look that bad up close, but because it's sort of dulled, it looks worse IMO from far away.

Anyway, I definitely don't want to make it any worse, so that will be my guiding MO!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Q-tips and Brasso or McGuire's.

Piano Industry Consultant

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by BDB
Just be aware that if the letters are finished with a clear top coat, any tarnishing is coming from leakage through finish. Trying to polish them probably requires rubbing of some sort, which you are not going to be able to do without removing the top coat, which will affect the rest of the fallboard. You may end up making things worse.

Also, in this situation, once you remove any top coat covering the brass letters, the brass will then tarnish much more quickly in the future.

If you leave this to a professional they can take responsibility if things go wrong.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
It's about a 2 minute job. I have done it several times and so have many others. You will not cause any damage and it will look beautiful.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
D
D
Originally Posted by Roger Ransom
It's about a 2 minute job. I have done it several times and so have many others. You will not cause any damage and it will look beautiful.

I do same and there seems no damage at all smile

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Well I’ll try it I guess. But we’re not going shopping for another two weeks probably so I’ll either have to order something or wait...

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Did you try the silver polishing cloth?

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
G
G
Another thing: if making brass shine is like making silver shine then standard toothpaste works like a charm. Just put some toothpaste on it and wipe it gently away. No rubbing required - seems to be a chemical effect rather than a mechanical one. I strongly suppose that toothpaste does also not damage the polyester of the piano. Again: this works like magic on silver - not sure if it works also on brass. There was however also another gentleman in this thread who suggested toothpaste.

W.Hoffmann T122, Roland FP-50, Roland RD-64
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j

I can't find it! whome Mr. SK said he thinks he knows where it is, so I'll try that first.

Re the toothpaste, if I do that, should I just use a cotton cloth? No added water? I could try on some other brass part first...

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Originally Posted by j&j

I can't find it! whome Mr. SK said he thinks he knows where it is, so I'll try that first.

Re the toothpaste, if I do that, should I just use a cotton cloth? No added water? I could try on some other brass part first...

https://www.bhg.com/homekeeping/house-cleaning/surface/how-to-clean-brass/

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
dogperson, I think I may have read exactly that webpage when this thread first started. But unfortunately, I don't have many of the main ingredients for the make-it-yourself ones (no lemon, no flour...)

The other thing that is as yet unresolved is whether there's some kind of coating on top of the lettering. Does anyone know how I would be able to tell?

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
D
dogperson, I think I may have read exactly that webpage when this thread first started. But unfortunately, I don't have many of the main ingredients for the make-it-yourself ones (no lemon, no flour...)

The other thing that is as yet unresolved is whether there's some kind of coating on top of the lettering. Does anyone know how I would be able to tell?

Since your piano is glossy poly, I would look at it sideways from an angle. I guess you then would see a clear coat running on top of it. My guess is that the glossy poly finish on your piano would be similar to the glossy finish on my parent's 90s U1 and my friend's 00s GC1, i.e., the Yamaha letters are underneath a clear top coat.

Like @BDB said, if you want to clean it, you might have to remove the top coat on the letters to access to them and doing that might damage the whole finish of the piano. I would just leave it alone in your case. The letters do not look that bad in your picture.

On the other hand, my 60's G7 is satin finish, there might be no clear top coat on the finish like glossy as I can't see any. I guess if the top coat on the Yamaha on my piano had ever been there, it might have got rubbed off frown

Last edited by DreamPiano80; 04/27/20 01:51 PM.
G
G
If you want to know if there is something over your brass letters maybe you have an ohmmeter or a continuity tester available. If it is just metal it should be easy to tell with either one of those.

If I touch the brass with the probes of my tester I immediately get a beep. I do not have to pierce through anything to close the circuit. Apparently my letters aren‘t covered with anything.

Last edited by Gretel; 04/27/20 01:58 PM.

W.Hoffmann T122, Roland FP-50, Roland RD-64
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member

The article I attached includes toothpaste instructions: nothing but toothpaste and water required.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson
The article I attached includes toothpaste instructions: nothing but toothpaste and water required.

Yeah, I guess I don't know how to read... whome

Originally Posted by Gretel
maybe you have an ohmmeter or a continuity tester available

That I do not have.... But I will go and look at and see if I can tell if there's a coating there or not...

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Dig out a magnifying glass and flashlight. Magnify the surface as much as possible. Call on your inner MacGyver. smile

Last edited by j&j; 04/27/20 04:38 PM.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I have experience of cleaning brass fittings with Brasso. A major problem is that if the Brasso gets into any tiny cracks or crevices, it dries to a white powder/coating in the crevices which is near-impossible to remove. It is possible that the same could be true of toothpaste.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by David-G
I have experience of cleaning brass fittings with Brasso. A major problem is that if the Brasso gets into any tiny cracks or crevices, it dries to a white powder/coating in the crevices which is near-impossible to remove. It is possible that the same could be true of toothpaste.

May I re-iterate my lemon juice preference for cleaning bras at this point :-)

It also doesn't scratch like toothpaste or even brasso might, although such scratches would hopefully be very fine.

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
We don't have lemon juice, and are on quarentine-shopping schedule (no shopping for another two weeks). But I may try it... I still have go and check to see if I can tell if there's a coating.

First I need to get off of this computer... whome

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Upgrading my Roland KR-570(!) (c.1997 AD)
by ClemFandango - 09/28/21 06:15 PM
Garritan with Sibelius "sound set" ?
by RinTin - 09/28/21 03:13 PM
help teaching an autistic child
by sheilaju - 09/28/21 02:33 PM
Old Kawai MP6
by johan d - 09/28/21 02:04 PM
Half Pedaling reality check
by Dore - 09/28/21 12:47 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,337
Posts3,135,903
Members102,848
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission