2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 11 invisible), 1,910 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Jethro Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
Just to follow up on this. So I received the SYS and MODI 3 today and hooked the up and all I can say is that I'm floored by the sound quality coming out of my system. This is simply the best sound system I've owned and I put it together at such little cost. I had a pretty good system with the NAD BEE 325 but once than went south and my OPPO DVD player that used to be my sound source for CDs died as well I had to make a change and I'm glad I did.

I've mentioned in other threads my love for the NHT Super Zero 2.1 speakers and I paired them with an ORB super 8 subwoofer which I believe is identical to the super 8 subwoofer sold by NHT at least their specs look identical and both use BASH amplifiers. I just set the crossover to 120 Hz and I'm ready to rock.

Here's a recovering audiophile who gives a similar impression of these speakers. He says they are better than some $30,000 he has heard and the sound quality is as good as some systems costing $500,000. I don't doubt him because I'm of the same opinion and I'm sharing you a best kept secret in the audio world. Sometimes if it sounds too good to be true, it isn't, but this is a rare exception. These speakers cost under $200 a pair. https://youtu.be/dOFOlt4qV0Q

So I have a $49 Schitt pre-amp, a $99 Schitt DAC, and old Sony Blu Ray player with coaxial output, an old Samson 160 watt studio amplifier, a $199 NHT satellite speakers and an ORB super 8 from their outlet for $329.

This set up would make a great studio system for most digital piano sound systems as well as one kick butt sound system for an office a small to medium sized room. Also great for near field home studio sessions. So if you're in the market I suggest a similar set-up. All you need is an old DVD player with digital outs and any half decent budget amplifier (because really they are pretty much all the same).

Last edited by Jethro; 04/25/20 09:30 PM.
P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
Jethro -

You and The Recovering Audiophile just sold me on the Super Zero 2.1's - they'll arrive next week. Thanks for the mention! Is it ok that I'm gonna use them in a small-room audio system instead of with my digital piano? :-)

Originally Posted by Jethro
So I have a $49 Schitt pre-amp, a $99 Schitt DAC, and old Sony Blu Ray player with coaxial output, an old Samson 160 watt studio amplifier, a $199 NHT satellite speakers and an ORB super 8 from their outlet for $329.
Is it possible for such a cheap system, to be a good one?

I understand, that yes, the Blu Ray Play player as transport and the DAC, will be as good as any - as DACs usually all sound the same, as do CD transports.

But $200 speakers?

Kawai K-500 | M-Audio Keystation 49 | Casio PX-S1000 | ADAM Audio T8V
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
That's what I was thinking ...
Originally Posted by 3am_stargazing
But $200 speakers?
The "rave" review might need some context. Perhaps the raver is accustomed to $10 Wal Mart computer speakers, and these $200 ones are "amazingly" better.

I like a bargain ... but when something sounds to good to be true, it surely is.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
And that is how we remove the subjective element, Mac, through measurements smile Otherwise you risk letting people praise or bash products based on biased personal opinion.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
That's what I was thinking ...
But $200 speakers?
The "rave" review might need some context. Perhaps the raver is accustomed to $10 Wal Mart computer speakers, and these $200 ones are "amazingly" better.

I like a bargain ... but when something sounds to good to be true, it surely is.
Yes. It is a good moneysaving tip to use a Blu Ray player as transport, together with a cheap DAC. But that is just because of the mature state of the technology, where transferring data from a CD can nowadays be achieved perfectly at low cost. So it could and perhaps should sound the same any CD player, while it might be a lot cheaper than buying a separate CD player.

But speakers are not usually like this. To my intuition, something saying $200 speakers will be as good as expensive speakers, seems as realistic as saying a cheap piano can sound as good as an expensive piano which costs multiple times more.

Last edited by 3am_stargazing; 04/26/20 12:47 PM.

There's no "risk" of letting people praise or bash ... so long as they state their true feelings and opinions (and are not shilling for a company).

We might come to agree with such opinions ... or disagree. But at least the opinions reflect perception.

Originally Posted by CyberGene
And that is how we remove the subjective element, Mac, through measurements smile Otherwise you risk letting people praise or bash products based on biased personal opinion.
Well, Amir has not measured the same product, but just a product from the same company.The NHT Pro M-00 (a product from the same company), were not very highly ranked in Amir's measurements (I'm not saying Amir's speaker measurements are particularly valuable or useful though - who knows?).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...JS-JQYSZy7kCQZMKtRnjTOn578fYZPJ/pubhtml#

Of the small number of speakers he has measured up to now, he gave the best measurements to the Genelec 8341a, which were also the most expensive ones he has measured so far. Around $6000 per pair.

Last edited by 3am_stargazing; 04/26/20 01:07 PM.

Of the small number of speakers he has measured up to now, he gave the best measurements to the Genelec 8341a, which were also the most expensive ones he has measured so far. Around $6000 per pair.
Although in his write-up, he said he didn't actually like listening to those Genelec 8341a so much, due to lack of amplification https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...am%E2%84%A2-studio-monitor-review.11652/

Last edited by 3am_stargazing; 04/26/20 01:12 PM.

J
Jethro Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by pwl
Jethro -

You and The Recovering Audiophile just sold me on the Super Zero 2.1's - they'll arrive next week. Thanks for the mention! Is it ok that I'm gonna use them in a small-room audio system instead of with my digital piano? :-)
Tell me what you think. I've had these speakers for a few years now. It wasn't that video that convinced me of these speakers merits. The objective data is all there. They have been professionally reviewed ad nauseum and they've won a bunch of awards. Yes for $200 you are getting one of (if not) the finest small to medium room speakers on the planet at any price. Remember if you want full range you need a subwoofer preferably active. These speakers designed are a closed design and limit their frequency range to the mid and upper ranges.

For the most part I think it is useful to choose speakers as you would an acoustic pianos- with your ears. Could you imagine if we took all this test equipment to measure acoustic pianos?

Yes they are perfect as small studio monitors for your digital piano. Just make sure you have enough power to drive them. They are 4 ohm speakers rated at 80 watts but they can handle much more than that and because of their closed design shouldn't bottom out. They are quite heavy for their diminutive size.

Last edited by Jethro; 04/26/20 02:03 PM.
P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
Yes for $200 you are getting one of (if not) the finest small to medium room speakers on the planet at any price.
$135 on Amazon now. Pretty hard to pass at that price!

J
Jethro Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by pwl
Yes for $200 you are getting one of (if not) the finest small to medium room speakers on the planet at any price.
$135 on Amazon now. Pretty hard to pass at that price!
I checked and read some of the reviews. Pretty much everyone has been smitten by them. They've been around for years but mostly budget audiophiles were more or less aware of their existence. I'm listening to them right now and laughing. They are so good!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission