2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 55 of 81 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 80 81
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
I was planning to take the piano practical exam in August, but I wonder if that will happen. Might get delayed until later in the year.

My teacher doesn’t think the August exam will be back to normal because either things will still be closed or there will be a surge of examinees due to those who postponed from spring. She actually suggested I should consider postponing, especially if I didn’t want to do it online. Which is fine. I will just start on material for the next grade before I do the exam.

I think you are right about that. No big deal. I'll wait till winter, more time to prepare smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I was planning to take the piano practical exam in August, but I wonder if that will happen. Might get delayed until later in the year.

My teacher doesn’t think the August exam will be back to normal because either things will still be closed or there will be a surge of examinees due to those who postponed from spring. She actually suggested I should consider postponing, especially if I didn’t want to do it online. Which is fine. I will just start on material for the next grade before I do the exam.
Even before COVID-19, I was going to be doing that. I was planning to skip my RCM 5 exam (and just have my teacher informally examine me for RCM 5, including technical tests, sight reading, etc.) and then go take the RCM 6 exam in the winter 2020 or spring 2021, whenever I am ready. My main issue was I think I spent too much time playing my pieces over and over, which is useful every once in a while, but that's why I'm going to take RCM 6. For RCM 5, I'll just be less formal and if my teacher thinks I'm ready to move on, then I'll move on.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Even before COVID-19, I was going to be doing that. I was planning to skip my RCM 5 exam (and just have my teacher informally examine me for RCM 5, including technical tests, sight reading, etc.) and then go take the RCM 6 exam in the winter 2020 or spring 2021, whenever I am ready. My main issue was I think I spent too much time playing my pieces over and over, which is useful every once in a while, but that's why I'm going to take RCM 6. For RCM 5, I'll just be less formal and if my teacher thinks I'm ready to move on, then I'll move on.

My teacher also suggested I could skip the grade 1 exam if I wanted to, but I said I would just like to postpone. So she was cool with it and so was I. As adults, we can choose whichever path we want! grin

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 04/24/20 01:18 PM.

Kawai K500
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
This is the response I got today. I thought the below was the case for those in Canada, not the United States, but maybe it has changed. I asked for the clarification. I'll ask my teacher about it too.

However, for level 4 and below, I'm guessing you should still get a certificate? I don't know.

Thank you for your message. Please note for practical exam Level’s 5-8; students are required to complete the Theory co-requisite of that Level in order to receive the practical certificate – for more information, please see pg 11 of our Theory Syllabus under Intermediate Certificates

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
This is the response I got today. I thought the below was the case for those in Canada, not the United States, but maybe it has changed. I asked for the clarification. I'll ask my teacher about it too.

However, for level 4 and below, I'm guessing you should still get a certificate? I don't know.

Thank you for your message. Please note for practical exam Level’s 5-8; students are required to complete the Theory co-requisite of that Level in order to receive the practical certificate – for more information, please see pg 11 of our Theory Syllabus under Intermediate Certificates

Thanks for the info bSharp. I also thought that was true only of Canada and that in the US you didn’t need the corresponding theory exam.

Which grade’s practical certificate are you awaiting? I thought you were also doing theory exams? So maybe your theory exams haven’t caught up to your practical exams yet?

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 04/24/20 06:56 PM.

Kawai K500
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I did theory for 5, but not 6. But I got my grade 5 certificate after I took the practical exam, before taking theory.. I then did theory 5 after that, and then received 2 certificates (one for theory and another for practical). So I actually have 2 for the grade 5 practical.

I don't plan to take theory for 6.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
I did theory for 5, but not 6. But I got my grade 5 certificate after I took the practical exam, before taking theory.. I then did theory 5 after that, and then received 2 certificates (one for theory and another for practical). So I actually have 2 for the grade 5 practical.

I don't plan to take theory for 6.

I see. I do hope it was just an oversight and they didn’t change the policy for the US.

Kawai K500
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Well, that doesn't explain why I didn't get a certificate for RCM 4. However, I just passed my exam in December, so it's just over 4 months since. Maybe this is just how long it takes.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Well, that doesn't explain why I didn't get a certificate for RCM 4. However, I just passed my exam in December, so it's just over 4 months since. Maybe this is just how long it takes.
And merely hours after I posted that, I opened my mailbox, and found a large envelope from RCM with my certificate. So I guess 4.5-5 months is just how long this takes.

[Linked Image]

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
And merely hours after I posted that, I opened my mailbox, and found a large envelope from RCM with my certificate. So I guess 4.5-5 months is just how long this takes.

Congratulations on receiving the certificate, Tyrone!

I’m anxiously awaiting mine. Something about a first exam certificate is so exciting.

Kawai K500
W
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
Glad you got your certificate, Tyrone! Congratulations. I like certificates, ribbons, medals, titles...all those items that signal accomplishment.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
This was RCM's response to my email.

Yes, candidates in the United States receive a participation certificate for taking practical exams up until Level 10 regardless of whether they have taken the theory co-requisite or not.

All certificates which were scheduled to be sent out in March 2020 have been delayed due to our offices being closed because of the COVID quarantine. All certificate deliveries are for exams taken after September 2019 are expected to arrive by the end of June 2020.

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide any certificate services at the moment due to out offices being closed because of the COVID quarantine. All certificate deliveries are temporarily suspended until we are able to return to the Royal Conservatory buildings. Once we have returned, we will reach out to all candidates whose certificates have been returned to us as undeliverable.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
This was RCM's response to my email.

Yes, candidates in the United States receive a participation certificate for taking practical exams up until Level 10 regardless of whether they have taken the theory co-requisite or not.

All certificates which were scheduled to be sent out in March 2020 have been delayed due to our offices being closed because of the COVID quarantine. All certificate deliveries are for exams taken after September 2019 are expected to arrive by the end of June 2020.

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide any certificate services at the moment due to out offices being closed because of the COVID quarantine. All certificate deliveries are temporarily suspended until we are able to return to the Royal Conservatory buildings. Once we have returned, we will reach out to all candidates whose certificates have been returned to us as undeliverable.

So, that doesn’t really answer why you haven’t received yours yet, does it? Maybe yours was lost in the mail.

It does answer for me that I shouldn’t be concerned until end of June. And thanks for posting this info.

Kawai K500
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
So, that doesn’t really answer why you haven’t received yours yet, does it? Maybe yours was lost in the mail.

It does answer for me that I shouldn’t be concerned until end of June. And thanks for posting this info.

Probably because I moved last year, and we'll move again once the Covid thing is over. No big deal. I'll get one after taking 7 smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Probably because I moved last year, and we'll move again once the Covid thing is over. No big deal. I'll get one after taking 7 smile

thumb

Kawai K500
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
As I said, I just got mine on Saturday. So either the post took 4 weeks to deliver it to Washington DC from Toronto, or it was mailed when their office was closed. Very curious.

[Linked Image]

O
O
I've been asked to reschedule my RCM1 to a video call. I think I'm ready on the pieces, but I want to make sure that I'm ready for the sightreading, clapback, major/minor third recognition, etc. Does anyone have somewhere they can point me to work on the non-piece related requirements? Any sort of training exercises or videos would be great.

--
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Do you have the sight reading/ear training book for RCM1? If so, you then have access to the online tools for ear training, clap back, etc. It sounds like sight reading will be given to you ahead of time, so it's possible you may be able to review it before having to play it.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
It sounds like sight reading will be given to you ahead of time, so it's possible you may be able to review it before having to play it.
Well, that's what everyone will likely do 😂 but I doubt that is what they intend by send the sightreading out in advance. I'd bet that it is sent out in advance so you have time to get it printed out in time for the exam. grin I bet they are expecting you not to look at the sightreading until the examiner tells you to do so wink wink wink

[Linked Image]

C
C
They can probably send you that during the video call or share a screen with you so you can see it . That would make more sense (at least that's what I would do if I was the examiner).

Kawai ES110

Page 55 of 81 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 80 81

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission