2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, 11 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2971488 04/25/20 04:14 PM
K
KevinM Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
K
We are near the end of the month without an April piano bar.

I'll start the piano bar with a cheat. I submitted to the Beethoven recital with the second movement of Moonlight Sonata, the least well known of the three movements.

I was pushing it really to have something worthy for the recital as I only started learning the piece 6 weeks beforehand and it is close to the limit of my skill level. Since the recital I've been continuing to practise the piece and I feel some improvement has occurred as a result so I felt I could start the April piano bar with it.

I have two recordings. The first is played using the Synthogy Ivory II American Concert D (ACD) virtual piano.

The second is played using the Garritan CFX lite virtual piano and is a far more organic recording. I'm paying less attention to the dynamic instructions etc. and more listening to my own playing and responding to that during the recording. I find the Garritan CFX virtual piano is a less interesting than ACD and more playable, one of the consequences is I find I will be a bit freer with my playing style using Garritan CFX. In every case my ACD recordings have been preferred over Garritan CFX (my only two virtual pianos), I wonder if that remains the case for these two recordings.

Last edited by KevinM; 04/25/20 04:15 PM.
KevinM #2971492 04/25/20 04:20 PM
A
A
I'll add to the piano bar.
I completely forgot about the recitals, maybe I'll be able to have something ready 😀

I've also forgotten how much I enjoy playing the piano. Here is David Nevue, you are my hiding place. I made the video using my favorite scenic pictures from my travels.

Eventually I'll get back to the level of piano I was at several years ago when I was posting stuff all the time.

Last edited by Augustina; 04/25/20 04:22 PM.

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spot1530
KevinM #2971582 04/25/20 08:11 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Kevin, I'm glad I don't have to make a choice between your recordings. I can hear differences between them but I certainly liked both of them and would be hard-pressed to say which I prefer. Well done!

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

KevinM #2971583 04/25/20 08:23 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Augustina, that is a lovely arrangement, played well.

I am noticing that after weeks of lockdown, I seem to enjoy nature photos and videos even more than I normally do. Godo job!

Ed

KevinM #2971603 04/25/20 10:12 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
My piece this month is Blues for Alice, by Charlie Parker. This tune fits in the category of a "jazz blues", meaning that it keeps to the general form of the blues, but also has additional non-blues chords, such as a Maj7 chord, a secondary dominant, and a ii-V progression.

I am playing from a lead sheet, with a backing track.

Ed

Blues for Alice

KevinM #2971658 04/26/20 03:42 AM
P
Pianist685
Unregistered
Pianist685
Unregistered
P
Kevin – 2nd Movement Moonlight Sonata IMO both recordings have too much treble, I would prefer a somewhat warmer sound. The acoustic differences between the two are marginal. Your playing is excellent in both versions, worthy of a professional pianist.

Augustina – You are my hiding place A very dreamy tune and beautiful images. Who could ask for more?

Ed – Blues for Alice Your recording put me in a good mood. This is very pleasant jazz, but I would not call it a blues. It is far too happy a tune to be called a blues and it does not follow the harmonic pattern of a blues, either. Strange…

My contribution this time is one of my favourite songs from the movie “Fame”: “Out here on my own” was written by Lesley and her brother Michael Gore and sung by a very young Irene Cara. Lesley Gore once was a very young singer herself in the early 1960s, maybe some of you remember “Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows” or “It’s my party” and its sequel “Judy’s turn to cry”.

Out here on my own

#2971672 04/26/20 05:09 AM
K
KevinM Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
K
Augustina – You are my hiding place

Melancholy and loneliness is the feeling I get. If that is what you aiming for then you've got it spot on. I enjoyed that.

Ed – Blues for Alice I think I agree with Pianist685. This did not feel like blues to me. It was nicely played.

Pianist685 – Out here on my own That was great. I enjoyed this.

Pianist685 That is the first time I have had too much treble. It has always been your bass dominates to much. Perhaps I needed my teacher who I've not seen in 6 weeks to tell when to stop and I've gone too far the other way.

KevinM #2971699 04/26/20 08:20 AM
P
Pianist685
Unregistered
Pianist685
Unregistered
P
Originally Posted by KevinM
[b]Pianist685 That is the first time I have had too much treble. It has always been your bass dominates to much. Perhaps I needed my teacher who I've not seen in 6 weeks to tell when to stop and I've gone too far the other way.
Oh, I was just referring to the sound characteristics of the audio not your playing. Load the files in Audacity and enhance the frequencies between 1 and 6 kHz by 3 or 6 dB and maybe the bass region from 50 to 250 Hz as well and the sound might be fantastic. Well, just a suggestion.

KevinM #2971700 04/26/20 08:29 AM
T
T
I loved that performance of 'Out here on my own'.

It might be because it’s one of the rare pieces of music that I’ve heard on here that I recognise. laugh

Lovely song and a great rendition.

Don’t practice until you get it right. Practice until you can’t get it wrong.
KevinM #2971783 04/26/20 12:52 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Constantin, that was superb.

Your playing is very expressive, ranging from gentle to powerful, and always in a very musical way.

Ed

T
T
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
Gets very frustrating being locked up in the house most days. Half the public places are shut to prevent social gatherings. Only the stores considered essential services are open.

Spending more time at home has unique challenges. Shopping for food yesterday I went to 3 separate stores for flour. 2 of them were out and the third just have 2 bags left as if all of a sudden everybody is spending more time in their kitchen doing baking. It's not good to watch the news on TV for many hours. Many of us would use the time to express our creativity.

I don't normally add messages in the intro and the ending of videos about the C-19 pandemic & reminding people to keep social distancing. These are special times. Our lives get turned upside down. My next video is probably going to be recorded on my balcony as a way to share my music to the rest of the world like what people are doing in Italy.

This is probably the first time in history that whoever we are and wherever we live, we’re all doing the same thing.

And none of us can get any flour.

KevinM #2971802 04/26/20 01:26 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm rarely coming to piano bars, but today I felt like recording a small piece :-) It's Bolmus Populi, a calming piece from a calming location in a beautiful computer game called Child of Light, composed by Cœur de pirate. Somehow it always lightens the mood :-) I hope you'll like it!

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
KevinM #2971807 04/26/20 01:31 PM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Gets very frustrating being locked up in the house most days. Half the public places are shut to prevent social gatherings. Only the stores considered essential services are open.

Spending more time at home has unique challenges. Shopping for food yesterday I went to 3 separate stores for flour. 2 of them were out and the third had just 2 bags left as if all of a sudden everybody is spending more time in their kitchen doing baking. It's not good to watch the news on TV for many hours. Many of us would use the time to express our creativity.

I don't normally add messages in the intro and the ending of videos about the C-19 pandemic & reminding people to keep social distancing. These are special times. Our lives get turned upside down. My next video is probably going to be recorded on my balcony as a way to share my music to the rest of the world like what people are doing in Italy.

KevinM #2971812 04/26/20 01:39 PM
T
T
Love 'Moonlight Serenade'. That was really nice.

Not wanting to sound old but they really don’t write them like that anymore.

KevinM #2971944 04/26/20 06:07 PM
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Me too I decided to record a video for the piano bar.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

KevinM #2972085 04/27/20 02:55 AM
P
Pianist685
Unregistered
Pianist685
Unregistered
P
thepianoplayer416 – Moonlight Serenade I like Glenn Miller very much, and I enjoyed your performance.

Mati – Child of Light I did not know this tune but it sounds very romantic, so it is my kind of music, indeed.

Serge – Your song Some great Elton John in the original key. Wonderful! Your sunglasses look cool.

KevinM #2972095 04/27/20 04:00 AM
K
KevinM Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
K
Mati Bolmus Populi

I really enjoyed that, your Kawai grand has a nice rich warm sound.

Serge88 Your song by Elton John

Enjoyed that, nice and relaxing and you give it a warm sound.

KevinM #2972949 04/29/20 12:32 PM
A
A
Kevin: I liked both versions
Riddler: I enjoyed listening to your piece, I found it very relaxing
Pianist685: I enjoyed this, well done
Mati: Bolmus Populi is indeed a very calming piece well played, thanks for sharing
Serge88: love the look, the stuff animals, made me smile!:) I also enjoyed your piano playing

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spot1530
KevinM #2973621 05/01/20 09:46 AM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Mati, that was indeed a calming piece, played calmingly, just what we need. Well done.

thepianoplayer416, This piece also has a calming effect for me, probably because it was the music I heard in my earliest years. There's something ironic there since those were amongst the most turbulent of all times for the world at large, but I guess I had no understanding of all that. Well done.

Serge, cool playing, very listenable.

Constantin and Kevin, yeah, not very bluesy. I think the people who genre-ize say if it has twelve bars and the fifth bar is the IV chord, then it must be a blues. Parker called it a blues, but then when he played, he infused everything with a blues feeling. He always blended blues language into his bebop language. Me - not really articulate in either language! Bottom line - yer right, but it's me, not the song!

Ed

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission