2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 17 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
OP Offline
L
What's the best place to get a digital piano?

Sweetwater vs Amazon vs Guitar Center vs Musician Friend vs Sam Ash

GO.

U
U
Kraft

Yamaha P-525
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I won't buy a piano online. Too much risk. Too little reward.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I generally order from Sweetwater.

I have used all of the other one's you mentioned.

I have no particular reason that I can point to for that.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
For digital pianos? My local brick and mortar dealer, where I can actually try things, thank you very much.
One of my students who ordered a sustain pedal for a Yamaha DP she already had, got really good service from Sweetwater (followup phone calls to confirm shipping, etc.).
I buy a lot of other electronic stuff from B&H, which has a really easy return policy and reasonable return shipping option.
Most recently, mics and studio monitors from a place in South Carolina called Front End Audio.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Sweetwater, they have good tech support if you have a question on anything, and they have an in house repair/service facility that's factory authorized for most of the brands they sell. If you can get to their store, they have a nice showroom as well as a recording studio and performing auditorium where they give workshops and let guest artists work. They also use the auditorium to book major acts.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I wouldn't buy DP online - too much trouble if something goes wrong.
1. Local dealer
2. Sam Ash
3. Guitar Center (they switched to selling mostly garbage keys; Sam Ash is much better, their local stores even carry a lot of sheet music still).

Last edited by VladK; 04/20/20 11:34 PM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I won't buy a piano online. Too much risk. Too little reward.
This.
I tried to order an MP7SE twice, both times the product suffered damage in transit and had to be returned.
Courier services just don't handle them carefully enough (Thomann sends them via UPS).

The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.
VPC 1 -> Pianoteq 7 Std | Garritan CFX / Pearl Alto Flute 201
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
I have to commend GC who sends me coupons in my email for 15% off for being a repeat customer over the years. That savings helped me sell my Casio PX-S3000 privately, with only a small loss and buy new Kawai ES110. Disclaimer: the 15% wasn't good for every manufacturer but it didn't affect my purchases.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
M
M
Originally Posted by VladK
I wouldn't buy DP online - too much trouble if something goes wrong.
I bought my piano online (I am in Germany) because I think there is less trouble if something goes wrong...

L
OP Offline
L
I guess I'll go with sweetwater. How's there support

Last edited by linda555; 04/21/20 01:19 PM.
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Guitar Center, Musician Friend, Music123 Woodwind Brasswind are all owned by the same parent company.

I have had great service with Sweetwater myself. Have used them for several keyboard purchases in the past and when I had a technical question on a Audio Interface they took the time to find the answer for me. Even said if we can't get it working to my satisfaction I can return it and try another. Luckily we got it working. So I can say they might not have the best prices but I have gotten stellar service from them over the past 10 years. Plus the candy too smile

I will add I have used Sam Ash but the local store not the online version and they have been helpful to me too. The one I don't like is Guitar Center as they were always kids blasting the guitars and I couldn't think straight. My local Sam Ash has the keyboard section in a separate room with heavy glass and opposite guitar section. Nice! Plus Sam Ash was real nice when I wanted to bring my laptop to check out some MIDI controller keyboards. Guitar Center gave me the third degree.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Sweetwater excellent support.
If you are anywhere near their place in Indiana, it’s worth a trip. It’s an awesome place.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
M
M
Sweetwater.

Steinway M, Roland HP704, Kawai ES 920, Yamaha Reface CP, Casio Tone LK-S250, Pianoteq
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
In the UK delivery companies and online trading laws are very stringent and there is very little risk with buying online, and actually even more protection for your money when doing so.

But it can also depend on how big the piano is, tbh I'm not even sure how they would go about delivering a midi grand or larger.

Last edited by Bhav; 04/25/20 03:11 PM.

'Its too rare to break a hand from playing the piano ... But playing Hanon as written will break your hand'

- Self proclaimed 'piano teachers' on the internet.
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Sweet water.

Shipping could be faster, but other than that - very positive experience overall.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
B
B
All my Guitars have been Sweetwater...No piano's....yet

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
My go to online retailer in the UK is gear4music. They are setup for online purchases with three distribution centres in Europe. One in Sweden, one in Germany and one in the UK. All three have showrooms.

The main reason gear4music is my go to online retailer is their UK distribution centre is driving distance for a day trip. I can try out more models there than anywhere else. I have been there on three occasions for many hours each time playing with the different pianos.

If they go bust I would probably have to spend more than twice the amount of time comparing pianos than I did if you taking travelling time into account.

So far their prices have been good, not always the best but close to it.I have not yet had had a problem with service. As a result for anything music related they are always the first place I go to when looking online for anything music related.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission