2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Is it pronounced: "Scheeeeeeit?"

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 36251
Is it pronounced: "Scheeeeeeit?"
Yep. Part of their irreverent attitude that I mentioned in my last post. I like it. It gives those guys, and their company, character.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I totally disagree. I buy a product to satisfy my wishes.
If it does, perhaps the charts can say why.
If it does not, then again perhaps the charts can say why.

But in the end it is me who must be satisfied. My ears are not able to hear charts.
Originally Posted by CyberGene
You should believe your ears/brain system only if performing double-blind testing.
Our brains are wonderful things that make us believe we hear stuff that's not there smile
Most of audiophile world is built upon this vapor structure. This is why you need measurements.

Read me again smile It’s OK to buy what you like. However your ears are just your ears. You might as well be totally deaf and love how a sledge hammer sounds. That doesn’t make it music. Which is why some people need objective data. And that’s also OK.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
J
Jethro Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
I remember one of my favorite things I would do in college (other than party) was to head to the basement of Mugar Library and before beginning my study session head to the magazine section a find the latest edition of Stereo Review (and Car and Driver of course) I would pour over every review. Studying all the data, the frequency response, the THD, is it .001 or .003 because you know that could make a difference. I learned about the apparent importance of interconnects, that jitter is bad and heat sinks were good. One of the columnists that I particularly liked to read was that of Julian Hirsch. Some of you may remember him. He was a maverick of sorts who seemed to speak his mind but more often than not any product that he reviewed ended up being a positive one and a review that made you want to go out and buy the piece of equipment. (I, of course was just an 18 year old college student who couldn't afford anything he was reviewing- but I could dream couldn't I.)

You could say I was an audiophile and once I graduated from college I was always hunting for that bargain priced but high quality audio equipment so I can just laugh at all those other audiophiles wasting their money. In one edition of Stereo Review I remember Hirsch basically putting his foot down and making a confession. He said something to the effect of, [let's be honest with ourselves here, most audio equipment considered of reasonable quality is pretty good equipment whether it be a $500 dollar piece of equipment or a $5000 piece of equipment our ears simply can't tell the difference.] He was a technician and he recorded tons and tons of data but in the final analysis he said, "“Calm judgment and judicious language serve us best in the world of hi-fi. Some audiophiles insist on calling a flaw ‘serious’ when it takes hours of listening to discover it. I don’t.” I distinctly remember the time when we were going from vinyl to CD's in the mid 80's and there was (and I believe still is) the belief that CDs produced music that was less organic to which he simply replied, "“To the extent that individual preferences in sound — digital, analog, or live — arise from a listener’s personal idiosyncrasies, one can hardly take issue with anyone else’s beliefs about sound quality. . . Listen for yourself. If you agree with those who say that CD sound is ‘unmusical,’ don’t make the change."

You gotta love the guy, but I have to admit when I read this particular column I kind wondered to myself then what the heck was I doing wasting my time reading all these reviews if none of this simply mattered. He kind of burst a lot of audiophiles bubbles, but he had a good point.

In regards to Amir's findings- without having read the entire thread but the OP I thought to myself. Yeah your data may be objective but it looks like your conclusions could be biased. If anything his sampling of Schitt's products was not randomized. So he drives 150 miles to meet up with a couple of his high end audiophile buddies from the local audiophile chapter meeting to borrow their Schitt devices. Mind you these are not normal audio listeners but audiophiles who probably drive their components harder than most and particular in this case take them apart to see what makes them click. So should we be somewhat aghast that he finds aberrations in these particular samples? That's not how you do a test. He also said he may have introduced some errors in the testing he was performing because he was in a state of stress at the time. Yes he repeated the tests, but still. And finally, how can you offer unbiased conclusions after you admit that you had been banned from a popular forum where Schitt "principals" frequented? I think he should have listened to himself when he commented that the aberrations he found in the low frequencies were basically inaudible to the human ear.

The Schitt engineers were right when they asked, but what do they sound like? Amir says why should I pay $2500 for a piece of equipment that was flawed he himself said it was considerable bargain amongst similarly featured DACS. I decided to purchase the Schitt Modi 3 and SYS. I'm paying $150 for a pre-amp and an outboard DAC with a quality chip. I'm not going to worry about a few frequencies below the human threshold of hearing if that be the case with these devices as well. As I'm finding out, there are indeed many good reviews of Schitt's products. In fact, fabulous reviews. It's all about perspective.

Last edited by Jethro; 04/22/20 09:10 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jethro
I decided to purchase the Schitt Modi 3 and SYS. I'm paying $150 for a pre-amp and an outboard DAC with a quality chip. I'm not going to worry about a few frequencies below the human threshold of hearing if that be the case with these devices as well. It's all about perspective.
The prices are right and there is a return policy. No downside as far as I am concerned.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I remember one of my favorite things I would do in college (other than party) was to head to the basement of Mugar Library and before beginning my study session head to the magazine section a find the latest edition of Stereo Review (and Car and Driver of course) I would pour over every review.
You're not my alum after all. How disappointing. wink

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
J
Jethro Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I remember one of my favorite things I would do in college (other than party) was to head to the basement of Mugar Library and before beginning my study session head to the magazine section a find the latest edition of Stereo Review (and Car and Driver of course) I would pour over every review.
You're not my alum after all. How disappointing. wink
Eagles, Huskies?

J
Jethro Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by newer player
I would try to get the NAD fixed by a local tech.

Schitt Audio has some good products, good prices, and a 15-day return policy. They have been around for a while and the engineers for longer. Just do some online research to make sure the model you are looking at doesn't have any major issues.

**The SYS is a passive preamp but some people and systems prefer active preamps. One engineer's opinion on the differences (he sells passive and active preamps)

http://www.placetteaudio.com/QandA.htm

**The MODI 3 is a popular inexpensive DAC. Note in 2018, one "reviewer" had issues with ASIO4ALL drivers which were resolved with WASAPI. When I was testing WASAPI a few years ago, I could not get very low latencies for digital piano. Maybe this has all been sorted by Microsoft, Schitt, etal.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-measurements-of-schiit-modi-3-dac.4742/
I just read the links. So apparently he recommends both the SYS and Modi 3 "whole-heartedly". I plan to use the S/PDIF inputs only from my Bluray CD transport and the optical output of my mac mini. I'm not planning on using the USB input so the drivers are a non-issue with me.

Last edited by Jethro; 04/22/20 09:41 PM.
J
Jethro Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by johnstaf
You can probably run Pianoteq on anything that doesn't take punchcards. laugh

I have it on my 2012 dual core Samsung laptop with a 64 sample buffer. It's fine, whether I use the internal or outboard sound.
Ah but I also is a state of GAS purchased the desktop version of Ravenscroft which I barely use because of latency issues. Maybe this will solve some of the problems though serendipitously.

K
K
I recently purchased a Jotunheim. I use it with an MP 11SE and Focal powered monitors, also Beyerdynamic headphones. This has been the best sound I have achieved both with the Kawai pianos and Pianoteq. I tried a couple of audio interfaces and did not care for the sound. This is obviously my preference but I think there maybe something different in consumer audio products vs. pro level. Schiit products have a strong following in the audiophile headphone community.

N
N
So I have an NAD 325 BEE that is malfunctioning (the left channel sounds weak and somewhat distorted) and I used this integrated amp to listen to music off an old Marantz CD player. Instead of buying a new audio receiver or integrated amp I realized I had a 130 watt servo amplifier laying around by Samson and I could use that to amplify my CD player. I have been hooking up the CD directly and my amp has volume controls for left and right channels but my amplifier has it's optimal THD when the output controls are at their maximum so this was not a good solution so I needed a pre-amp. I found a company called Schitt audio that sells a passive "pre-amp" called SYS for $49 which basically acts as a switch between 2 components but uses a potentiometer to control the volume. This would allow me to set the amp's outputs to maximum for the lowest THD and use the the volume control on the pre-amp. Upon further research I found that they also sell a DAC called MODI 3 on their website for $99 that I could hook up to multiple digital sources. My CD player is so old that it doesn't have a digital output option but I have an blu ray player that does and I could use it for a CD transport and then send the signal to the DAC. The nice thing about this device is that I could send an optical out of my mac mini and run Pianoteq through the DAC to the pre-amp and then to the amplifier. So basically killing 2 birds with one stone- an audio system that I can use to listen to music and to use with my digital piano.

My question is, has anyone used Schitt's products before and are they any good? Do you have any other recommendations. Any Schitty advice? Thanks in advance.
Shiit is a well regarded company in the HiFi business. I have used their Eitr USB to SPDIF interface to connect a Raspberry Pi to a Naim DAC and it worked flawlessly. I never used the Modi 3 but if you check the Audiophile Style forums you can probably get some advice on that specific DAC.

G
giu Offline
G
I have a Schiit Magni 3+ preamp/headphone amp which I use to interface the usb dac connected to my Kawai VPC2 with my headphones and active monitors. It's a great piece of equipment.

B
B
Originally Posted by giu
I have a Schiit Magni 3+ preamp/headphone amp which I use to interface the usb dac connected to my Kawai VPC2 with my headphones and active monitors. It's a great piece of equipment.

Got a pix of that VPC2..?? I have been patiently waiting its arrival...

G
giu Offline
G
Sorry that was a Freudian lapsus. It is a VPC1 :-(

B
B
haha..no sweat..I can stop looking !!!

Originally Posted by impossiblejj
Shiit are good, but chinese people with from SMSL, Matrix and Topping are conquering the world since few years. You just do not pay the extra for markeing costs. There are dozens of wonderful DACS there, like Mytek, RME, mentioned before, and the list goes one... Since the headphones started to be really popular, everyone and their grandmother is producing DACs
DACs are mature technology. They mainly all sound the same nowadays.

But speakers, headphones, amplifiers - and the interaction between them - still vary a lot in how they sound. Although whether you will like the sound or not, is ultimately subjective.

Last edited by 3am_stargazing; 04/24/20 02:30 PM.

Kawai K-500 | M-Audio Keystation 49 | Casio PX-S1000 | ADAM Audio T8V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Let's have some fun......

DACs are mature? Therefore they sound the same?

Speakers are not mature? 1874 is when they started.... they were part of the first commercial technologies developed by Bell Labs going way way back.... and that means they all sound different?

Something is amiss.... cool reading here: https://www.aes-media.org/historical/html/recording.technology.history/loudspeaker.html

Peace
Bruce in PHilly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 04/24/20 03:40 PM.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
The Schitt engineers were right when they asked, but what do they sound like? Amir says why should I pay $2500 for a piece of equipment that was flawed he himself said it was considerable bargain amongst similarly featured DACS. I decided to purchase the Schitt Modi 3 and SYS. I'm paying $150 for a pre-amp and an outboard DAC with a quality chip. I'm not going to worry about a few frequencies below the human threshold of hearing if that be the case with these devices as well. As I'm finding out, there are indeed many good reviews of Schitt's products. In fact, fabulous reviews. It's all about perspective.
The answer to this question about DACs and Amir's reviews of them, is probably that they would sound the same in blind testing. So his obsession with measuring them is interesting to him from an engineering point of view, but these measurements do not imply anything that your ears could notice.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I hear you. Give a man a hammer ...
Originally Posted by 3am_stargazing
So his obsession with measuring them is interesting to him from an engineering point of view, but these measurements do not imply anything that your ears could notice.
I don't need a technician and his gear to tell me what sounds good. I have ears.

Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I hear you. Give a man a hammer ...
Originally Posted by 3am_stargazing
So his obsession with measuring them is interesting to him from an engineering point of view, but these measurements do not imply anything that your ears could notice.
I don't need a technician and his gear to tell me what sounds good. I have ears.
I do think Amir is doing a good job overall though. Even if all he does is to stop people from getting scammed into buying those expensive interconnects...

And with all his pointless and inaudible DAC measurements - he does usually recommends cheaper products, so at least people are not being tricked into buying more expensive products than they need.

Last edited by 3am_stargazing; 04/25/20 12:02 PM.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission