2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
40 members (chopinetto, bobrunyan, AZNpiano, Chrispy, AmyKaye, Beowulf, apianostudent, bopping, 8 invisible), 424 guests, and 254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Beethoven 250th Birthday Recital - Discussion Thread
AB Forum Recital #2967848 04/17/20 12:13 AM
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
thanks for your work on this Sam

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
AB Forum Recital #2967928 04/17/20 09:22 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
15 Simon Finlow – Bagatelle 126/3 Simply wonderful! So warm and calm. Thanks for this exquisite recording.

32 Winterflower – 3rd movement of Sonata op. 101 Some very expressive late Beethoven. A fantastic piece, very well played. However, the sound of that public piano you are playing is… at least very special, haha. And what are those clicks I am hearing? A metronome?

42 PatH – Bagatelle 33/5 Fantastic! Very joyful and energetic. This is another piece by Beethoven I did not know before. Thanks for introducing.

45 Simon Finlow – Bagatelles 126/1 and 4 Thanks for telling us that this is Beethoven which is not trivial. I just bought some stamps at my local post office and the employee asked whether I wanted Mozart or Sesame Street. I chose the Mozart stamps which turned out to commemorate Beethoven’s 250th birthday, rather. Mozart, Beethoven - isn’t that all the same? Of course, it’s not. And Beethoven’s late “bagatelles” are anything but that.

46 QuasiunaFantasia – Allegretto WoO53 Ah, yes, there are a lot of fantastic pieces by Beethoven without opus number (WoO = Werk ohne Opusnummer). I absolutely agree that learning a piece on one’s own is often more beneficial than a paid lesson with a piano teacher. Your rendition is perfect, you have come to an amazing in-depth understanding of this kind of music. Congratulations!

Pianist685 #2968230 04/18/20 05:56 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
15 Simon Finlow – Bagatelle 126/3
45 Simon Finlow – Bagatelle 126/1 and 4

Simply wonderful. I loved all of these Bagatelles. All so different and a delight to listen to.

AB Forum Recital #2968486 04/18/20 04:36 PM
J
J
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your comments

Hi Barbaram, I like the 4th movement as well!

Pianist 685,
Thanks for listening, the prestissimo is very energetic yes. I also realized I uploaded the wrong mp3 for moonlight which is number 41 on the playlist. Here's the YouTube video that has the right audio! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8VYxzfyp4U

Here's more comments from a great listening session:

44 Jason Lenthe Pastorale Sonata Scherzo
Great energy! A joy to listen to all the way to the last note!

45 SiFi Simon Finlow
Thanks for sharing the Op. 126
I'm not as familiar with the bagatelles, but I want to be after hearing those!

51-53
Andy Liao
Thanks for sharing the Sonata no 6. Such a fun listen!

This online recital was a great idea and am glad to be a part of it!

AB Forum Recital #2969082 04/20/20 04:52 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
13-14 Tim – Sonata #27 Marvellous! Loved it. But I must admit I am not that familiar with the characteristics of Beethoven’s periods of composing nor am I a real Beethoven connoisseur. All I can say is that the first movement sounds very impressive with those runs (which you are not playing perfectly, either) and the second movement is very touching in an almost romantic manner.

23-25 Tyger – Waldstein Sonata You captured me right from the first note. I am more than impressed by your outstanding, professional performance. This is so fantastic. Am I mistaken or is your piano slightly out of tune?

44 Jason Lenthe – 3rd Movement from Sonata #12 Very good and fun to listen to.

AB Forum Recital #2969227 04/20/20 01:09 PM
K
K
Slowly getting through the list but wanted to note some of my favorites so far! Wishing I could have made a submission this time, but I didn't realize it was happening until too late.

06. Tim Adrianson - Piano Sonata #28, Op 101, 1st Mvt So lush and beautiful. I really loved your sound. You kept my attention through the entire piece. I hope you get a chance to play the rest of the sonata.

07. Ruth CM - Sonata No. 8 in C Minor, Op.13, "Pathetique", 2nd Mvmt Lovely! You brought out the melody in all the the right places, and your dynamics were amazing. Nice pedal work contrasting the first and second sections.

15. SiFi (Simon Finlow) - Bagatelles Op. 126, No. 3 in Ab Truly sublime.

19. Carey (Phil Jones) - Sonata Opus 7 I'm impressed the recording has held up so well after so many years. Wonderfully solid performance.

I'm kschwarz1116 on youtube

Unless I mention otherwise, I always like constructive feedback.
AB Forum Recital #2969602 04/21/20 09:32 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
01. Jason Lenthe - Sonata #20 in G Major, 1st Movement

02. Jason Lenthe - Sonata #20 in G Major, 2nd Movement

44. Jason Lenthe - Sonata #15 in D Major "Pastoral", 3rd Movement, Scherzo

Hi Jason, I enjoyed watching your 3 performances. I'd say the first one was my favorite though. Well played, and nice piano!

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube
[Linked Image]
AB Forum Recital #2969657 04/21/20 11:38 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
16. patH (Patrick Hollstein) - Sonata #17 D Minor op.31/2 "Tempest", 1st movement

17. patH (Patrick Hollstein) - Sonata #17 D Minor op.31/2 "Tempest", 2nd movement

18. patH (Patrick Hollstein) - Sonata #17 D Minor op.31/2 "Tempest", 3rd movement

42. patH (Patrick Hollstein) - Bagatelle in C Major op.33/5

54. patH (Patrick Hollstein) - Sonata #5 C Minor op.10/1, 3rd movement

55. patH (Patrick Hollstein) - Bagatelle in A Flat Major op.33/7

I enjoyed watching your performances as well, Patrick, all 30 minutes laugh The near 50 years experience you have is evident. It's hard to pick a favorite from above, they were all fantastic!

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube
[Linked Image]
Kevin1116 #2969899 04/21/20 07:24 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kevin1116
19. Carey (Phil Jones) - Sonata Opus 7 I'm impressed the recording has held up so well after so many years. Wonderfully solid performance.

Thanks Kevin. Yes, in some respects the recording has held up better than I have (ha ha). Glad you enjoyed the performance. I played the recital on a Sunday afternoon in early April. During the second movement of the Beethoven it started to pour rain outside, and I clearly remember hearing the sound of the deluge (like a distant freight train) on the roof directly over the auditorium stage. I was trying very hard not to let the storm distract me. Funny the things you remember. smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
SiFi #2969901 04/21/20 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by SiFi
Just listened to #19, Carey's (Phil's) Sonata Op. 7 first movement. Wow! Terrific mastery of the technical difficulties, which are rife, and a fabulous rendering of the coda, one of the best I've ever heard. Total commitment to the music. Loved it.
Thanks Simon. Much appreciated. My adrenaline was definitely flowing that afternoon. grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
AB Forum Recital #2969908 04/21/20 08:04 PM
R
R
Thanks as usual to Sam for what I'm sure was a lot of work for the many great pieces submitted.
Thank you also to Kevin1116 and Ido for listening, enjoying and providing feedback on my pieces (as I won't have a chance to listen to yours). It is so motivating to be able to interact with other players, especially at this time.

01. Jason Lenthe - Sonata #20 in G Major, 1st/2nd Movement Great clear and concise playing of the ornaments, and excellent and consistent rhythm throughout.

03. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Sonatina in F Major, Anh. 5, No. 2, Mvmt. 1/2 Some good work on this charming sonatina and I enjoyed listening to it.
You had a question on the Pathetique and legato fingering. Yes, I do try my best to stick with the legato fingering even with pedal. I usually try to learn a piece with such fingering without pedal first to force myself to do the legato. Do I cheat sometimes with other pieces, yes because I have small hands and it is not always possible for me to even have an alternative for it. Is that best practice…probably not. I find the Pathetique easier than some pieces with the legato as it is slower. Wish I had a clear cut answer for you but that’s just my two cents!

05. Tim Adrianson - Nine Variations on "Quant'e Piu Bello" WoO 69 Very nice phrasing and smooth transitions from one section to the next.

06. Tim Adrianson - Piano Sonata #28, Op 101, 1st Mvt I enjoyed this very much as well. You have a lovely and sensitive touch for the music.

09. Jordan Nylander - Sonata 1 in F minor – I/II/III/IV Great job on learning an entire sonata, something I’ve yet to do. The second movement with its gentle phrasing was my favorite. Thank you also for listening and commenting on my piece.

More to come...

AB Forum Recital #2970110 04/22/20 11:21 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Excellent recital, but how could it be otherwise when Beethoven provided the musical scores. smile

I'm splitting my comments into three chunks:

Group 1:

Tim Adrianson, Jordan Nylander, Simon Finlow, Patrick Hollstein, Phil Jones, Tyger, winterflower,
Morodiene, and Andy Liao

Your choices of music are well and truly beyond my current reach, and I do not have any advice to give you. Rather I would just say that I thoroughly enjoyed your performances and aim to join your ranks of people capable of playing such works (but don't sit up and wait for it, it could take a while smile ).

Group 2:

Sam S

Your excellent performance, and the whole well-documented endeavour leading up to it, are truly awesome and inspiring to this mere mortal.

Group 3:

01-02,44 Jason Lenthe
As pro as any professional recording. Excellent! Also, great sound.

03-04 BSharp(C)yclist (Dan)
Wonderful! First recording I've ever heard of that sonatina.

07-08 Ruth CM
Virtually flawless, as far as I could tell.

43 Snejana
Well played! And quite a fast-paced piece at that.

47 Alan Chandler
Wonderful performance. I feel your effort to tame this new, and very wild animal. smile To my ears the sound was a bit on the treble-rich side, maybe too much string, and too little wood, if that description makes sense. Closing the lid might make sense, as you point out yourself.

48 KevinM
Beautiful and pleasant.

49 KevinM
Again very beautiful and lyrical - quite a bit less rough than I would have done it. smile

50 Mosotti
Virtually perfect!

56-57 Suni
Brilliant. Nice soft touch.

58-59 barbaram
Deftly executed rapidly moving music. Very impressive.

61-62 Greta99
Quite exquisite. Very gentle touch. I've always struggled with the "Traurig" part, but you're flying through it without a trace of difficulty.

64 selfishplayer
Impressively fast; my fingers would be left dazed and not know their own order after such a workout.

65 Tyrone Slothrop
Good control of the dynamics. This is not an easy piece. Fine work!

66 MarlaJackspiano
I really like your subtle touch for this work, it captures the right spirit, I believe. But your recording equipment seems a bit lacklustre.

67 Constantin
Pleasant tranquility perfected!

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Pianoteq 6.5 (Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2), Garritan CFX Lite, Production Voices Estate Grand
Pianist685 #2970130 04/22/20 12:15 PM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
46 QuasiunaFantasia – Allegretto WoO53 I really enjoyed listening to this. I feel like you have the rhythms and dynamics done well. Well done.

AB Forum Recital #2970270 04/22/20 06:14 PM
K
K
Originally Posted by Ruth CM
Thanks as usual to Sam for what I'm sure was a lot of work for the many great pieces submitted.
Thank you also to Kevin1116 and Ido for listening, enjoying and providing feedback on my pieces (as I won't have a chance to listen to yours). It is so motivating to be able to interact with other players, especially at this time.
Of course! I'm trying to keep any critical feedback to those who asked for it, but it always feels like tiptoeing a line when I tell someone what I think. There's so much awesome music here.

23. Tyger - Beethoven Piano Sonata No. 21 in C Major "Waldstein" - So many notes! I'm impressed you made it to the end! I'm curious to hear if you have a favorite recording.
26. winterflower - Op 79 Sonata in G - I enjoyed all of it! You did a nice job setting an ominous mood for the second movement. Might be worthwhile to practice with a metronome in all the movements. grin
29. Tyger - Beethoven Piano Sonata No. 23 in F Minor "Appassionata", Op. 57 - Nice performance! That coda of the third movement is a real race to the end.
33. Tim Adrianson - Piano Sonata #18, Op 31, #3 Mvt 1 - I enjoyed your sound and dynamics! Don't forget about the slur and ritardando in measure 3, and be sure not to over-pedal too much.
34. Tim Adrianson - Piano Sonata #18, Op 31, #3 Mvt 2 & 4 - Very fun! Thank you for sharing!
37. Morodiene - Sonata Op 2 No 3, 1st movement - I played this and remember (not so) fondly struggling with it a ton. Nice performance. Do you play the the sixteenth notes in measuring with just the right hand or split between right and left? I split them up and that made it a lot easier to keep it rhythmic and consistent.
40. Morodiene - Sonata Op 2 No 3, 4th movement - Those chord scales are quite challenging and you played them very nicely! I really enjoy this movement, and you play it well!

I'm kschwarz1116 on youtube

Unless I mention otherwise, I always like constructive feedback.
Ruth CM #2973982 05/02/20 08:48 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ruth CM
03. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Sonatina in F Major, Anh. 5, No. 2, Mvmt. 1/2 Some good work on this charming sonatina and I enjoyed listening to it.
You had a question on the Pathetique and legato fingering. Yes, I do try my best to stick with the legato fingering even with pedal. I usually try to learn a piece with such fingering without pedal first to force myself to do the legato. Do I cheat sometimes with other pieces, yes because I have small hands and it is not always possible for me to even have an alternative for it. Is that best practice…probably not. I find the Pathetique easier than some pieces with the legato as it is slower. Wish I had a clear cut answer for you but that’s just my two cents!

Thanks for the comment, Ruth. I've stuck with the fingering suggested by my teacher. It's more comfortable after having practiced it for some time now.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube
[Linked Image]
AB Forum Recital #2974256 05/02/20 09:35 PM
I have finally finished listening to each any every piece submitted. It was a real treat to listen to. There's so much great music here. I also want to thank those who listened and commented on my submissions including Ido, jordannylander, barbaram, Pianist685, bSharp(C)yclist, Ruth CM, and QuasiUnaFantasia, and, of course, Sam for administering the recital.

I wish I could comment insightfully on each piece, but since that is beyond my abilities so I will just comment on these two:

58. barbaram - Sonata Op 49 No 2 1st Movement: Allegro, ma non troppo
59. barbaram - Sonata Op 49 No 2 2nd Movement: Tempo di Menuetto It was great to hear your interpretation as well. I really liked how you held some of the grace notes a bit longer in the first movement. You brought out the singing melody of the main theme in second movement very well. I hope you had as much fun learning this sonata as I did.

37. Morodiene - Sonata Op 2 No 3, 1st movement
38. Morodiene - Sonata Op 2 No 3, 2nd movement
39. Morodiene - Sonata Op 2 No 3, 3rd movement
40. Morodiene - Sonata Op 2 No 3, 4th movement I really hear the attention to detail you put into this performance and I really liked all the articulations. It was a real standout to me.

AB Forum Recital #2978620 05/13/20 11:08 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Just making sure that Sam hasn't forgotten about updating the recital index with the entries from the Beethoven recital. I just hope it isn't too onerous.

KevinM #2978762 05/13/20 06:48 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KevinM
Just making sure that Sam hasn't forgotten about updating the recital index with the entries from the Beethoven recital. I just hope it isn't too onerous.

Kevin, I'm in the process of changing the index to something easier to update. But unfortunately not as accurate. Anyway, I will update the old one when I take the quarterly recital live Friday.

Sam

AB Forum Recital #2978764 05/13/20 06:51 PM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Thanks so much Sam.

AB Forum Recital #2979566 05/15/20 05:18 PM
R
R
I hope people are still reading comments on this thread! I was not feeling well and did not get around to all the pieces as I had intended, but I wanted to take a moment to listen to the following submissions. Thank you for your comments on my piece, it is always motivating to interact with this community:

41. Jordan Nylander - Moonlight Sonata movement 1 You brought a very relaxing mood and feel to this beloved piece

46. QuasiUnaFantasia - Allegretto, WoO 53 Some great work and phrasing on this charming piece. Keep it up!

48. KevinM - Bagatelle 119.4 I’ve never heard this piece before but you brought out the charm and character in it very well. Great phrasing and ending.

49. KevinM - Moonlight Sonata 2nd Movement. Opus 27 no 2. This was so nicely done. You have a beautiful delicate touch and attention to detail.

58. barbaram - Sonata Op 49 No 2 1st/2nd Movement: Allegro, ma non troppo A fast and challenging piece! You captured the liveliness of the mood very well

63. Jordan Nylander - Sonata No. 5 in C minor I. Allegro molto e con brio Good work on this challenging and moody (both up and down!) piece

67. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Adagio (2nd Mvt) from Sonata Pathetique, op 13 I really enjoyed your take on this piece as well and the phrasing/styling in it. The voicing was very nicely done!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Modern Alternatives to the Metronome
by navindra - 07/13/20 08:10 PM
Eleanor Sokoloff RIP
by pianoloverus - 07/13/20 04:15 PM
Winter NAMM 2021 - Proceed or Cancel?
by PianoManChuck - 07/13/20 03:55 PM
Roland A-88mk2 - clunky black keys?
by Karnevil - 07/13/20 01:53 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,237
Posts2,980,383
Members97,760
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission