2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
74 members (AndrewJCW, 36251, ambrozy, Beansparrow, Anglagard44, Abdol, AaronSF, accordeur, 18 invisible), 596 guests, and 614 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
New vs Old Bechstein
#2969479 04/20/20 10:10 PM
N
N Artur Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Any thoughts on the agraffes all the way up the 88 keys on the older style Bechstein vs use of capo d'astro bar in the newer Bechsteins? It seems the sound is very different for these two different design techniques. I do realize they made other changes than just the use of the capo bar. I understand they wanted better projection and a better concert grand for concert hall venues.
The reviews seem to love the newer Bechstein from the 192, 212 and 234 to the concert grand.
Others say they love the older style plate, pins and agraffes all the way up. Fans of newer Bechstein remember the older style as having thinner plates and problems with cracking and perhaps a thinner sound. What are pros and cons of each use of aggraffes vs capo in the treble section?
What would you do or look for-- restored turn of century, 1980s C Bechstein or used but newer design Bechstein?

Re: New vs Old Bechstein
N Artur #2970388 04/22/20 09:21 PM
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
This is quite a complicated question and actually it kind of applies to all of the German pianos except for Steinway (I'm counting Hamburg Steinway as German for this). Steinway's plate and rim design, while not exactly unchanged over the last 100 years, has remained constant enough that Steinway Hamburg (and presumably New York) can rebuild a 100 year old Steinway B and turn it out like a current model. Bechstein and Blüthner can't actually do this because the designs have changed. Grotrian as well - their designs have changed dramatically. Blüthners have actually changed less than one might think, the DNA is still the same, although things have been changed to make the piano more projecting than it was 100 years ago.

Therein lies a central issue. The Bechstein of 100 years ago was built to sound clear and somewhat ringing, it really was a singing tone with a lot of colour in it, and it seemed to be that smaller venues, theatres, and music teachers rooms were all attracted to that sound. What it wasn't, really, was incredibly powerful. It was always a kind of delicate sound in comparison to Steinway. When we talk about Liszt having a Bechstein that he found far more powerful than the other pianos of his day, don't think Steinway, think Erard or Streicher, or Graff.

I *think* that the first of the post-war Bechsteins were incredibly similar in design to the pre-war Bechsteins and that these designs were in use until at least 1990. At some point in the 1990s or maybe later, Bechstein changed the design and it now looks more like a Hamburg Steinway. In some ways the actual tone still has a lot of the signature Bechstein clarity and ring, but it has a lot more power. The rims are much heavier, the plates are heavier, everything is bigger. I think C. Bechstein is a wonderful piano, both new and old, but the two instruments are built to a different ethic.

What would I look for? Well, I think they all have their good points. A turn of the century Bechstein would probably need to be rebuilt if it hadn't been already, and it seems about half of them suffer from cracked plates, but that can be very easily repaired in the rebuilding process. Most of the time the cracks in the plate are of little to no concern, and have often been there from quite early on in the life of the piano, but if I was having the piano rebuilt I'd want it fixed.

If money was no object and I was definitely set on buying a Bechstein grand for my music room, I'd buy a brand new concert A because I believe that the pianos of today are built with better materials and greater precision than the pianos of 100, 70, 50, even 30 years ago. In my opinion which may be subjective, the Bechsteins of today are objectively better. I also believe that the Blüthner of today is objectively better than the Blüthner of 100 years ago although the Blüthner of 100 years ago was exquisite as well. The same with Steinway, I think a new model B would be a far more musically rewarding instrument than a restored one because of the precision engineering used in the plates and other parts, particularly if I was buying a New York Steinway, I'd want the latest model I could find and afford and have it prepared by the best tech I could afford.

That's the other issue, when you've got your piano you need to decide who you're going to entrust the maintenance to, and in a way that's more important than even which brand of piano you buy. In the hands of the right technician even the humble Yamaha C3 can have a glorious and blooming tone and in the hands of the wrong technician a Bösendorfer 200 can play like a pig (and I've experienced both of these specific situations personally!)

N Artur #2972572 04/28/20 07:28 AM
N
N Artur Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thanks for advice here and on other thread. Sorry didn't respond earlier. Appreciate your thoughts. On goes the search!
Oh if the new were not so pricey.

N Artur #2972620 04/28/20 10:45 AM
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
It costs a lot to build them! You should go to Europe and investigate buying one there and paying the import duties on it. Even a rebuilt one.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2021 Free Newsletter for piano lovers is here now...
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Most realistic Piano VST?
by Rickdiculous - 01/22/21 06:13 PM
An exemplary piano quiz
by Withindale - 01/22/21 05:57 PM
First DP -- PC Connectivity Question
by Mikex3 - 01/22/21 03:09 PM
CA99 vs LX706
by David Izquierdo - 01/22/21 02:50 PM
Test your love for the piano
by EB5AGV - 01/22/21 11:02 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,468
Posts3,050,266
Members100,177
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission