2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
65 members (Charles Cohen, Beowulf, Carey, 3x4rt, anotherscott, BbAltered, 18 invisible), 406 guests, and 410 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 430 of 441 1 2 428 429 430 431 432 440 441
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... #2952632 02/28/20 04:17 PM
M
M
So my last post was a month ago, and I've been playing about a month and a half now. It's funny because I feel like I've slowed to a crawl now, but I'm so much ahead of when I posted last.

I've got The Entertainer down pretty solid. There's one tricky part that I practice at least ten times each day no matter what. It's only a measure, but it took me a while to get it where I stop screwing it up. I'm probably about 90-95% "done" with the song.

"At Last" is also around the same completion, just smoothing out some parts that I sometimes stumble over. I love that song though.

"Somewhere Over the Rainbow" sounds way better than I thought it would. I've just about got that one down too, just need to speed it up a little, then add the pedals.

I haven't really done much pedal work at all yet. I think as I master songs I will then add the pedal, otherwise it's too much to think about at once.

Not looking forward to Singing in the Rain. I've played hands separately and it just doesn't sound interesting.

Skipped ahead to Laura, and that really seems out of place in this book. I don't know how I'm going to learn how to play it. It seems like I'll need to memorize every note with all the accidentals. Maybe there are easy patterns I'm not seeing yet, but it was by far the hardest sight-read yet.

I have book two, but it will be at least 1-2 more months I think before I get the rest of these songs down.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Mark... #2952670 02/28/20 06:42 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Mullolley, those all are nice songs to learn. I do “Over The Rainbow” and “Entertainer” pretty often while warming up to practice. Depending on your age I guess, “Gilligans Isle” is a fun one too. I had to practice “Singing In The Rain” at a super slow pace for a while. It sounds like you are doing well.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Mark... #2962446 04/01/20 05:43 AM
L
L
Hello everyone! I'm about to finish Alfred's basic adult piano course - lvl 1.
Some topics around the forum are making me confuse because I don't understand if going though book 2 should be a good idea or just a waste of time and I should move directly to book 3.
Can you give me some adivce? I read that book to is full of annoying songs but I want to know if it teaches some important things in piano theory and practice that are - let's say - mandatory to play piano and move to book3.

Thanks

Mark... #2962623 04/01/20 02:38 PM
Hello all, I recently started Book 1 and am currently on page 56. It was pretty rapid progress up until page 48, then things started slowing down. I did a few months of piano lessons about a decade ago so I have a slight foundation but it's good to get back to basics and learn the fundamentals as I go! I'm finding the book really well written - when I was learning previously, my teacher got me to use a book that had finger numbers on all the notes so it was next to impossible to learn how to sight read as my brain would just do what was convenient and read the finger numbers instead. I will post here to document my progress (assuming this thread is still alive).

Dogar The Brave #2962771 04/01/20 10:45 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dogar The Brave
Hello all, I recently started Book 1 and am currently on page 56. It was pretty rapid progress up until page 48, then things started slowing down. I did a few months of piano lessons about a decade ago so I have a slight foundation but it's good to get back to basics and learn the fundamentals as I go! I'm finding the book really well written - when I was learning previously, my teacher got me to use a book that had finger numbers on all the notes so it was next to impossible to learn how to sight read as my brain would just do what was convenient and read the finger numbers instead. I will post here to document my progress (assuming this thread is still alive).

Welcome to the forum, we look forward to your progress. These method threads tend to go up and down in traffic but you’ll find a wealth of info in here and the threads help me as a journal as I go along. You can ask questions and get good qualified help here at PW.

Luke88, just my opinion but I don’t know if it’s a good idea to skip levels but congrats on completing 1.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Mark... #2966138 04/12/20 03:24 PM
L
L
After 4 months of playing 30-45 minutes each day I just started on "He's Got The Whole World In His Hands". I don't like this particular song so I hope it doesn't take too much time. I can't hardly wait for The Entertainer and Amazing Grace.

Mark... #2967919 04/17/20 09:00 AM
Hey all, long time no post, but I'm finally back at it.

I was working through Alfred all-in-one book 1 and some RCM Grade 1 stuff as supplemental repertoire a couple years ago, but then life got in the way. I joined a choir and had to start using my practice time to sing, and we started home renos, and ended up surrounding the piano in boxes. Now with Choir cancelled and the renos to the living room done, I'm back at it and I've switched things around a bit.

First of all, I've dropped the RCM stuff, for now. My husband is a lapsed guitarist, and he wanted to get back into it, so we went to the local music store to pick up a collection of stuff for him. While we were there, I couldn't help but grab the "Greatest Hits" supplement books, and one book of Easy Piano video game theme arrangements.

Here's my current routine:
From Alfred's: The Stranger.
- Just needs a little polish. I'm really looking forward to finishing this and moving on to Greensleeves.

From Greatest Hits: Rainbow Connection
- This one has been giving me trouble. Not that it's difficult, but every time I try to play through the piece, I flub a different section. Doesn't matter how much I pick apart these flubbed sections and review them, there always seems to be a different section that I end up flubbing.

From Video Game Music: Theme from Final Fantasy
- This is a 3-pager. I'm currently working on getting the first page smooth and up to tempo.

Mark... #2968935 04/19/20 06:24 PM
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
I see this thread is still going...

Mark... #2969126 04/20/20 08:51 AM
B
B
How Do!

Last year I bought my niece a Yamaha E363. Turns out she doesn't like it / use it so I have heroically commandeered it for lockdown entertainment.

Bought alfreds after poking around on the internet and came across this thread. Currently I'm two weeks in and now doing TWO HANDED stuff (AMAZING).

Jingle bells is done and I'm upto Mary Ann, jeez my brain refuses to work this out but like before persistance and I'm sure it'll come together.

Now I'm no longer lurking in this thread I wanted to say Hi and to thank you all for writing so much which has given me confidence I can do this.

Nice to meet you all and have a good time,

Bob

Skullie #2969336 04/20/20 04:53 PM
L
L
Hey Skullie, welcome back. I finished Greensleeves a month ago but I still play it every day. For me it was the first piece where I could actually be expressive, or al least try to be...

Hi Bob, welcome! It is amazing to see when a piece is really hard, the next day it suddenly kicks in. Just by sleeping after practising that day, you'll learn the impossible.

Mark... #2970016 04/22/20 07:30 AM
K
K
Hi Piano players,

Can someone explain in simple terms what the difference is between ...
'Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1" and
"Alfred's Basic Adult All-In-One Course, Level 1 : Lesson, Theory, Technic"
Would I also need ...
"The Complete Book of Scales, Chords, Arpeggios and Cadences"?

Thx in anticipation smile

Andy

No good but carry on regardless
Killomiter #2970063 04/22/20 09:26 AM
Welcome, Bob! You're making great progress. Just keep at it, you'd be surprised what you can accomplish in 30 - 60 minutes a day.

Originally Posted by Killomiter
Hi Piano players,

Can someone explain in simple terms what the difference is between ...
'Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1" and
"Alfred's Basic Adult All-In-One Course, Level 1 : Lesson, Theory, Technic"
Would I also need ...
"The Complete Book of Scales, Chords, Arpeggios and Cadences"?

Alfred's has two series of adult beginner method books. One is called "Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course", and has separate theory and lesson books for each level.
The other one is "Alfred's all-in-one Adult Piano Course: Lesson, Theory, Technic", which, as the name implies, has everything together in one book. Both series cover the same material and share most of the same music. Either series is a good way to get started.

I haven't used "The Complete Book of Scales, Chords, Arpeggios and Cadences". This is something your teacher can introduce when you're at an appropriate level. If you're starting off on your own, the Alfred's books is enough to get you started - it introduces scales, chords, etc as it progresses.

Mark... #2970089 04/22/20 10:23 AM
K
K
Thx for the explain Skullie - I am self taught at I would say intermediate level but staved of basic material. I have played a few single note woodwind instruments over the years but woolie on the left bass clef. I am also very biased towards the left coming from Guitar too. So you might be able to see my dilemma.

I will go look further many thanks

Andy

No good but carry on regardless
Mark... #2970951 04/24/20 01:25 PM
Happy Friday, my fellow Alfredians. I figured I was due for another check-in.

I passed myself on "The Stranger" after spending the week working on dynamics, and moved on to Greensleeves. MUCH easier. Simple but beautiful arrangement, too. I can see why people like revisiting this one. After two or three days, I was already in the polishing stage, so I added in Go Down Moses mid-week. I think I can probably get Greensleeves done in another day or two, and Go Down Moses done this week. Getting so close to the review section!

As far as the Greatest Hits supplement goes, I'm still slowly polishing "Rainbow Connection". I've found it's best not to spend too much time on it, or I get super frustrated at my musical 'typos'. I play through it once, go over the trouble spots until I get it right 5 times, then move on. Once I've hit all the trouble spots, I set it aside. I think I might be at the point of diminishing returns.

The next piece that interested me was "Beauty and the Best" - Tried sight reading it a few days ago and it went pretty well, so I'm also working on polishing it the same way as "Rainbow Connection"

I've been making no headway on "Final Fantasy", so I set it aside for now. I think it might be worth coming back to after I make some headway into book 2. Then again, I could just be making excuses because I'd rather spend the time working through the last of book 1. Book 2 is taunting me from it's spot on the music book shelf.

Skullie #2970962 04/24/20 01:50 PM
B
B
Hi ya!

I've had a few days off from alfreds. Mainly because after reading positive reviews on here about piano marvel I got an account.

I've been doing some Alfreds on there but needed some levity so for the last couple of days I've been doing a level 2 12 bar blues boogie woogie. 100% now so loving it.

Plan is to move back to alfreds tomorrow and move forward.

Have to say piano marvel is really nice companion for me because with no teacher I had no idea how the pieces should 'really' sound.

Having a great time with this!

Hope you all are too

Mark... #2971410 04/25/20 01:43 PM
L
L
Currently working on The Entertainer while I keep polishing GreenSleeves, Scarborough Fair and Raisins and Almonds.

Mark... #2972570 04/28/20 08:19 AM
Hey everyone, just a note to say that I started self-teaching from the Alfred's All-In-One Level 1 book in February 2020. I'm now at Jericho (page 127) so it's down to the last 10 songs.

Like everyone I found pages 1-100 a breeze but then everything suddenly started slowing down. I now take 3-5 days to play each song to an acceptable standard.

I'm not a total beginner, having had two months of keyboard lessons on the Yamaha PSR-300 in secondary school. In the last few years I've gone through the Piano for Dummies book (was a great overview of all the different piano styles) and the Pianoforall course on Udemy. I'm able to play a few popular songs badly but decided to go back to basics with Alfred.

it was great to find this long-running thread - thanks Mark... for creating it. It has been a source of inspiration and I'm glad to find that I'm not the only one having problems with playing songs and finding motivation!

I'm now using an unweighted key, velocity-sensitive Yamaha PSR-E353 keyboard. Thinking of moving to a weighted key digital piano sometime in book 2, hope this will not be too difficult for me to adapt.

Keep it up everyone!

Thanks
Eug

Last edited by Eugene S; 04/28/20 08:26 AM.

Alfred's All-in-One Level 1: February - August 2020 (still perfecting the last few Level 1 songs)
Alfred's All-in-One Level 2: August 2020 -
Skullie #2973709 05/01/20 01:35 PM
Happy Friday!

As expected, I passed myself on Greensleeves and Go Down Moses this week. Currently working on "Scarborough Fair" and "Raisins & Almonds". The broken-chord style left hand on these two is something I remember struggling to wrap my head and fingers around when I last took lessons, but happily, it came back to me after a bit of practice. Planning on starting "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands" in the next day or two. I'm really eager to get past that one, since all the interesting pieces at the end start coming after that one.

Still struggling with "Rainbow Connection". I'm trying hard not to let myself give up on this one. I decided to take a step back and go over one section at a time and build it up with the metronome, which seems to be helping. "Beauty and the Best" isn't as bad. I don't like this arrangement as much, so I probably won't bring this one to as high a polish. Kind of tempted to do recordings of these with vocals, though.

Mark... #2973738 05/01/20 02:46 PM
W
W
I remember “the entertainer” took me awhile to get to grips with but I still like it now

Wayne2467 #2975271 05/05/20 02:30 PM
L
L
Hi all, currently working on The Entertainer and Amazing Grace. It feels like the rewards of Alfred Level 1 so I like it very much. The Entertainer is fun to play but difficult to stay on beat so I need a little more practise. Those arpeggiated chords in Amazing Grace are hard to master so I think that will take more time.

Is it normal my sight reading is still awful when I almost finished Alfred level 1? I mean should I do level 1 all over or just move on to level 2?

Last edited by lsie; 05/05/20 02:31 PM.
Page 430 of 441 1 2 428 429 430 431 432 440 441

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianoteq and Disklavier XP
by bSharp(C)yclist - 10/30/20 01:30 PM
The problem of ear to hand
by John 656 - 10/30/20 01:25 PM
Bluthner upright pianos
by Starre - 10/30/20 12:49 PM
Tuning Pin Bushings Prevent Glue Seepage
by Duaner - 10/30/20 12:46 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,491
Posts3,018,761
Members99,068
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission