2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
#2968527 04/18/20 05:57 PM
ebonyk Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
My tuning date is quickly approaching and I'm reticent. I certainly want my piano tuned, but everything seems so complicated. What are you all doing?

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
My tuning’s been postponed for the duration. I have to wait for our Governor and her storm troopers to open non-essential businesses, so that my tech will come and tune and adjust a couple things. I’d sure be thrilled if he chose to come and I certainly wouldn’t rat him out. But he’s obedient so I’ll wait until he’s ready. smirk

Last edited by j&j; 04/18/20 06:08 PM.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
F
F
My piano was due for a tuning a couple of months ago, but missed it for various reasons.
It’s impossible now and it really needs tuning, but I’m just going to have to wait.
It will be interesting to hear the difference once it gets tuned.

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
You might consider fixing a few out of unisons that annoy you the most yourself, and wait until things turn normal for a full tuning/regulation from your tuner.

ebonyk Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
My tuning’s been postponed for the duration. I have to wait for our Governor and her storm troopers to open non-essential businesses, so that my tech will come and tune and adjust a couple things. I’d sure be thrilled if he chose to come and I certainly wouldn’t rat him out. But he’s obedient so I’ll wait until he’s ready. smirk

I think I'll give mine a call, I hadn't considered that he can't come out, only that maybe he wouldn't want to come out. That would make up my mind for me, wouldn't it? 🙁

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
If this goes on too long I can certainly find several piano techs that would be willing to bend the Governor’s orders and at least get it back in tune. It would certainly be safer than me doing my own tuning. We already have protests going on across the state, so who knows???

J & J
Casio Privia P230
[Linked Image]
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Since either my tech or I can have shedding COVID-19, and have no symptoms, I can’t imagine getting my piano tuned until the pandemic is over. The potential consequences are too large for me.

ebonyk Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
What state are you in, J? I'm in NY. No protests here, we're the epicenter and have had many, many deaths. No one wants more, we're willing to stay home.

Just left my tuner a message. I know others, as well, but this guy has been my go-to for 24 years. I can't quit him! ❤️😂

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
New Mexico. I’ll wait for my fabulous tech. I’m just afraid he might decide to fully retire in the meantime. I’m one of his few chosen clients.

Last edited by j&j; 04/18/20 06:43 PM.

J & J
Casio Privia P230
[Linked Image]
ebonyk Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson
Since either my tech or I can have shedding COVID-19, and have no symptoms, I can’t imagine getting my piano tuned until the pandemic is over. The potential consequences are too large for me.

It's definitely something I've been mulling over. How to make sure we're both safe, how to disinfect when he's done, do I really want to chance this? Everything is SO complicated.

ebonyk Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
New Mexico.

We're alphabetical neighbors, LOL! ❤️😂

Online Content
Agree 100%. At lease in NYC if one has food delivered almost everyone doesn't even open the door until the delivery person is gone. Letting someone come into your home makes no sense to me.

ebonyk Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Agree 100%.

Yeah, I think I'm in that camp, too. Luckily my piano finished it's settling-in pains last year and is holding a good tune.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I really want to get my piano tuned (not so much because it's so out of tune, but because I want to do some recording). But I think that might be against the terms of our state's emergency orders... Maybe I should look into that first...

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Online Content
Originally Posted by ebonykawai

It's definitely something I've been mulling over. How to make sure we're both safe, how to disinfect when he's done, do I really want to chance this? Everything is SO complicated.
You have to disinfect before he comes or you could give it to him. The latest figures I've seen say somewhere between 25% and 50% have not symptoms.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by ebonykawai
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Agree 100%.

Yeah, I think I'm in that camp, too. Luckily my piano finished it's settling-in pains last year and is holding a good tune.

My piano may be very out of tune when I can finally get it done, but as least I’ll be around to play it when the tuning is finished. I will not use my governor’s assessment of ‘all clear’ but my own, which will be more data-based than his😽

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Thanks to PianoMeter (Thanks Andrew!) I am back to normal with my own Steinway B after taking the time of really going down to getting it into perfection. Yes, takes me about 3 times the times a regular tuner would need, but, guess what, I have that time.

Funny thing is that the professional side of me always has access to a perfectly tuned concert grand, but I've found that this privilege came with a certain neglect of my private piano - and I am not having that.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I tuned my own on March 30th before live streaming a concert from my living room that night. Since there was time, I spent a few hours the day before doing some voicing and regulation tweaks. All that's left is to diagnose and adjust a damper pedal that isn't as smooth as it should be, and otherwise we're operating (pianistically) at 100% here...

Knowing what was coming for the full-time techs, I gave away my last 2 scheduled tunings to the tech who tunes at the college, and got him 2 more tunings in the music building before they completely shut down the facility to faculty and students who couldn't go home.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
D
D
My piano is due for a tune in July, I'm not confident our travel restrictions will be fully lifted by then. My tuner has to visit our area to do a batch once a year from several hundred kilometres away. My GL30 has been quite stable this year for a new piano, so not desperate, but my only concern is the condition for Kawai warranty to have it tuned at least once a year. Surely if it is late due to these circumstances, Kawai will be understanding if a warranty issue ever happened in the future?

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Of course it’s best to wait this out but I’m extremely concerned because more than one mayor and more than one Governor, which includes my own, is urging people to photograph other people and other peoples’ license plates to report violators to social distancing. We’re expected to report to Big Brother if we see friends, family, or neighbors “committing” inessential business or jogging too long or not wearing a mask and gloves that no one stocks. We have to make our own.

Last edited by j&j; 04/18/20 07:59 PM.

J & J
Casio Privia P230
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission