2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
35 members (Christopher90, ChristoVanRensburg, Alex Hutor, AndrewJCW, Burkhard, Animisha, 0day, anotherscott, Bett, 4 invisible), 740 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 67 of 104 1 2 65 66 67 68 69 103 104
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by dogperson
Javaslinger
Playing in the right rhythm is tough for all of use. A piece of advice: use the metronome 🙀 and count out loud. You don’t need to do this every time, just to check/learn the rhythm.

Totally agree.

There are many free metronome apps on IOS or Android.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
T
T
What I love about Piano Marvel is that it pushes me way further than any method book. Currently it’s pushing me further than I imagined possible.

I’m currently on 'Ballad in C minor'. I’ve done the slow version and if this was in a book, I probably would have gone on to the next piece by now.

But now I need to do it in nearly half the time smile

I’m loving the challenge.

Don’t practice until you get it right. Practice until you can’t get it wrong.
I'll eventually find it, but does anyone have the link to the description of how to enter a score and upload it to PM? I mean from scratch, software, version, things that don't work, etc.

I've been sick for over a month and I want to ease back in by learning something I like. I think I played piano at least a few minutes every day but only pieces I could play from memory, nothing that took any mental acuity.

J
J
Originally Posted by treefrog
What I love about Piano Marvel is that it pushes me way further than any method book. Currently it’s pushing me further than I imagined possible.

I’m currently on 'Ballad in C minor'. I’ve done the slow version and if this was in a book, I probably would have gone on to the next piece by now.

Oh, you just recalled it to me. I will put it back for some extra exercises. Thanks. I as well liked and still like that ballad. Probably will record it soon smile For now, as usually another piece I am working on from 5E that gives me a bit of trouble. I decided tough to record it anyway, and come back to it after some brake with fresh ears and mind. Actually it works quite well - who knows, maybe will as well work for you during your practice routine.

So, enjoy watching. Knightly Tale from level 5E

pianopracticechallenge.com
Piano Marvel discount code: jw (practice every day - result will come fast smile )
T
T
Originally Posted by Jaro

Oh, you just recalled it to me. I will put it back for some extra exercises. Thanks. I as well liked and still like that ballad. Probably will record it soon smile For now, as usually another piece I am working on from 5E that gives me a bit of trouble. I decided tough to record it anyway, and come back to it after some brake with fresh ears and mind. Actually it works quite well - who knows, maybe will as well work for you during your practice routine.

So, enjoy watching. Knightly Tale from level 5E

Very well played.

It’s an aptly named piece. There’s something very medieval about it.

I’m on 3B at the moment so it will be quite a while before I get to that piece but when I do, for fun, I’ll definitely have to try playing it with the DP set to harpsichord.

I’m still on the ballad which needs to be completed in 48 seconds. I’ve decided that I won’t attempt it again in 'access' mode until I can play it in practice mode in under 42 seconds smile

Last edited by treefrog; 04/17/20 02:08 PM.

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by TomInCinci
I'll eventually find it, but does anyone have the link to the description of how to enter a score and upload it to PM? I mean from scratch, software, version, things that don't work, etc.

I've been sick for over a month and I want to ease back in by learning something I like. I think I played piano at least a few minutes every day but only pieces I could play from memory, nothing that took any mental acuity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBY...VNwM6fHGLZDZe_Takyf37NeVuX3Hjh35Hgka2nOs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqR...v4dRk_ZOYT5jbp-ZzNm3q18GB7xtIjSeXUOk2r2Q

All I know by experience is that Piano Marvel sometimes responds badly or incorrectly to following notations:
1. Tempo: make sure that all tempo changes are removed, also somewhere in the middle of the piece.
2. Pick up notes or rest in the 1st measure
3. Change of staff in the middle of a measure
4. The notation of trills and triplets
Before uploading always compare your * .musicxml file with the original, note by note and ornament and expression symbols.
Always create your midi from your musicxml file, because it must be exactly the same.

Also the score and the playback won't match if there are repeats. PM doesn't do repeats. I usually do 2 versions, one with repeats (PDF) and one without (MUSICXML and MID).

You can send me an email if you need help vera.a@telenet.be

Last edited by Sarah65; 04/18/20 06:47 AM.

Piano Marvel level 4E and everything I like smile
Thank you so much. I stored your response where I won't lose it!

T
T
Do other people settle on 100% With a couple of red notes?

I try and get everything that I can from each exercise. I won’t even attempt to do a piece in 'Access' mode until I can do it in way under the target time in 'Practice' mode.

I also won’t progress until every note is absolutely perfect. I feel that if I do, it will only come back to haunt me later on. smile

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline

I try and get everything that I can from each exercise. I won’t even attempt to do a piece in 'Access' mode until I can do it in way under the target time in 'Practice' mode.

I also won’t progress until every note is absolutely perfect. I feel that if I do, it will only come back to haunt me later on. smile

I am at a stage (end level 4) that I even settle for above 95% ... the speed is sometimes impossible for my old fingers, I have to.

J
J

Yes it happened to me... but then I come back to it anyway to have it done with 100%. Sometimes in my case it is worth to leave some exercises for few days, and come back to it and work on them again. Somehow it works really great for me. As you probably know, some pieces when you follow the program takes more then week or even two to master. I guess short brake recharges enthusiasm and lets some new skill sink into you.

After reaching 100% accuracy, it is worth to work a bit on the sound. Not to focus on the score only. I did that mistake. Real fun comes not only from accuracy, but the way you play it by just having fun and not focusing on accuracy too much. You will discover another level of fun while doing that smile

Piano Marvel discount code: jw (practice every day - result will come fast smile )
T
T
I fnally got to 'Arabia' today.

It took 3 attempts but I finally got 100% on the fast version.

Yeah. In my dreams laugh

I managed a perfect run through in about twice the time of the slow version and now I’m letting my brain digest everything for the task ahead.

I must say that it's not as daunting as I thought it would be. I'm not implying that it’s going to be easy. I'm just relieved that I actually like the tune and there’s nothing worse than learning something that you hate. I think I'm going to enjoy this.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline

Great advantage that you love the tune ... I hated it from the first note, it gave me a stomachache :p
(I tried not to break your spoiler) laugh

J
J

Great! I stop here not to break your spoiler as well smile Did not know that feature is here smile We learn all the time.

Originally Posted by Sarah65
Great advantage that you love the tune ... I hated it from the first note, it gave me a stomachache :p

So true! It is painful to learn something we don't like. Ufff... happened and will happen through the program we follow smile Luckily more are likeable then not.

T
T
I have a question about fingering.

I’m currently doing Technique 3B exercise 16 - Harmonization

It's an easy piece but It's the right hand at end of the first line that I'm finding a bit fiddly. Nothing I try feels particularly natural.

The line is as follows starting with pinky on C5

C5 G4 A4 G4
C5 G4 A4(half note)
C5 G4 A4 G4
E4 G4 D4(half note)

At the moment I’m doing

5 2 3 2
5 2 3
5 2 3 2
1 3 1

Is there a better way of doing it?

T
T
Arabia

Done smile

I can understand this being a challenge for anybody that doesn’t like it but for me, I really enjoyed practicing it.
It took a few goes to get the 100% on 'access' even though I’d managed to knock 10 seconds off the target time in practice mode.

It look a few more goes to eliminate every red note (I’m a bit OCD about red notes).

I’m loving this app. It’s only part of my practice regime but it does something that books cannot do.

It pushes me.

J
J

It's an easy piece but It's the right hand at end of the first line that I'm finding a bit fiddly. Nothing I try feels particularly natural.

C5 G4 A4 G4
C5 G4 A4(half note)
C5 G4 A4 G4
E4 G4 D4(half note)

At the moment I’m doing

5 2 3 2
5 2 3
5 2 3 2
1 3 1

You see, some exercises I guess are designed to teach you some technique and hand movement. In this case last bar (4th). I guess you play it with 1 3 1 to move your hand together with your thumb. To practice hand movement. Now it is just one key but later it will be more and more.

I play it now 1 2 1 (moving just my thumb), rest of fingers are relaxing on keys. It is more comfortable to me, and I don't have to move my hand at all. It is just siting there and relaxing while playing those 1 2 1.

I had this approach to their exercises: I try as it is suggested! Then try it different way just for fun.

PS. This discomfort is actually good sign. Very good sign. It means that you are learning something new smile At least I take it that way smile

I hope it helps smile

T
T
Originally Posted by Jaro

C5 G4 A4 G4
C5 G4 A4(half note)
C5 G4 A4 G4
E4 G4 D4(half note)

At the moment I’m doing

5 2 3 2
5 2 3
5 2 3 2
1 3 1

You see, some exercises I guess are designed to teach you some technique and hand movement. In this case last bar (4th). I guess you play it with 1 3 1 to move your hand together with your thumb. To practice hand movement. Now it is just one key but later it will be more and more.

I play it now 1 2 1 (moving just my thumb), rest of fingers are relaxing on keys. It is more comfortable to me, and I don't have to move my hand at all. It is just siting there and relaxing while playing those 1 2 1.

I had this approach to their exercises: I try as it is suggested! Then try it different way just for fun.

PS. This discomfort is actually good sign. Very good sign. It means that you are learning something new smile At least I take it that way smile

I hope it helps smile

Thank you.

I went for 1 2 1 in the end and it felt okay, especially as the following note is C again.

I guess that the rule of thumb in 'Piano Marvel' is not to change your hand position unless they tell you to, which makes sense.

J
J
Thank you.

I went for 1 2 1 in the end and it felt okay, especially as the following note is C again.

I guess that the rule of thumb in 'Piano Marvel' is not to change your hand position unless they tell you to, which makes sense.

Good job! and... You are right about the rule. I heard it from different source as well smile Really worth to remember and apply.

H
H
just take it on at a slower tempo. I concentrated on it for about a month before I felt I could finish it reliably. Roughly 3 months later and I am still practicing it daily.

currently on the 4A books on Piano Marvel
W
W
Originally Posted by Sarah65
Originally Posted by TomInCinci

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBY...VNwM6fHGLZDZe_Takyf37NeVuX3Hjh35Hgka2nOs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqR...v4dRk_ZOYT5jbp-ZzNm3q18GB7xtIjSeXUOk2r2Q

All I know by experience is that Piano Marvel sometimes responds badly or incorrectly to following notations:
1. Tempo: make sure that all tempo changes are removed, also somewhere in the middle of the piece.
2. Pick up notes or rest in the 1st measure
3. Change of staff in the middle of a measure
4. The notation of trills and triplets
Before uploading always compare your * .musicxml file with the original, note by note and ornament and expression symbols.
Always create your midi from your musicxml file, because it must be exactly the same.

Also the score and the playback won't match if there are repeats. PM doesn't do repeats. I usually do 2 versions, one with repeats (PDF) and one without (MUSICXML and MID).

I have uploaded a lot of music from Musescore to PianoMarvel, and I have not had any problems with any of the things you mention except
trills and repeats.

The most important thing to do:
write in the tempo in the score,
save the score,
then let it play a few measures,
delete the tempo marking (and do not let it play),
save the score (again),
export *.mid and *.xml,
import *.mid and *.xml to Pianomarvel with the original tempo setting you had in MuseScore.

Last edited by WalthervonStolzing; 05/01/20 06:20 AM.
Page 67 of 104 1 2 65 66 67 68 69 103 104

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Boston UP-118S opinions
by skern49 - 08/08/22 10:22 PM
OT-ish: what kind of Yamaha is this?
by ShiroKuro - 08/08/22 06:53 PM
Crack on soundboard
by phucahwa - 08/08/22 05:43 PM
Cage:Sonatas and Interludes
by pianoloverus - 08/08/22 05:31 PM
Bluetooth Pedal - page turner
by danno858 - 08/08/22 04:00 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,303
Posts3,214,910
Members106,036
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission