2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 5 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chopin Acolyte
So I guess the lesson for me is: CPU power does matter with virtual instruments smile
Doesn't matter that much if you only play piano.
Orchestras or Organ VST are an entirely different ballgame.

What matters is how optimized your system is, how much is running in the background.

For Pianoteq, avoid any standby/energy saving settings. Typically my system runs on the "balanced" setting but Pianoteq doesn't like the auto downclock of the processor at all. Pop city, oftentimes but not always.

So I use the "ultimate" power plan instead when problems arise:
https://www.howtogeek.com/368781/how-to-enable-ultimate-performance-power-plan-in-windows-10/

It varies a bit from boot to boot though, depending on what Windows is choosing to do at the moment and how many programs I had already running. If all else fails, doing a clean reboot always helps.

I typically use 192 samples @ 48000Hz. Set pianoteq to the same sample rate as your system setting. Avoid on the fly resampling at all costs.

Last edited by Granyala; 04/16/20 04:19 AM.

The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.
VPC 1 -> Pianoteq 7 Std | Garritan CFX / Pearl Alto Flute 201
E
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
For Dell computers, disable all Dell services, especially the support assist one. I do not remember from the top of my head the name of the particular one that increases latency brutally. On this computer, warranty already expired, I simply uninstalled all Dell services but on the other one I set all services to manual and latency tests indicated it worked (within reason).

Last edited by EVC2017; 04/16/20 07:15 AM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Granyala
[quote=Chopin Acolyte]
https://www.howtogeek.com/368781/how-to-enable-ultimate-performance-power-plan-in-windows-10/

I don't have the "ultimate" plan there, but I guess "Ryzen 5 High performance plan" will do...

[quote=Chopin Acolyte]
I typically use 192 samples @ 48000Hz. Set pianoteq to the same sample rate as your system setting. Avoid on the fly resampling at all costs.

Interesting, how do I know what my "system setting" is? I thought that this was entirely pianoteq thing...

Originally Posted by EVC2017
For Dell computers, disable all Dell services, especially the support assist one. I do not remember from the top of my head the name of the particular one that increases latency brutally. On this computer, warranty already expired, I simply uninstalled all Dell services but on the other one I set all services to manual and latency tests indicated it worked (within reason).

It's a custom desktop build, so I have the benefit of not having annoying services installed smile

OP Offline
One thing that is very annoying about these asio drivers is that once I launch pianoteq, all other sounds from any applications sent to the speakers are suppressed, which makes things like "play along" and such impossible. I used to have pianoteq open at all times, and just turned on VPC to play a little, now I have to close pianoteq to be able to use the computer with sounds normally...

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
That's why it's best to use a separate audio interface for the piano.
Leave the Windows sounds run on the cheap internal audio interface. Use the external interface for quality sound.

BTW, which ASIO are you using?

D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Leave the Windows sounds run on the cheap internal audio interface. Use the external interface for quality sound.

+1
RME babyface pro is expensive but it's the Apple Mac of the audio-interface world---no fettling required usually.
Stay away from Presonas products if you don't like faff.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
I have a Presonus box. Works great.

BTW ... what is "fettling"?

OP Offline

Is there several ASIO? I have no clue, pianoteq now has the option "ASIO4ALL v2" since I installed the first thing google found when I typed "asio drivers install" laugh

The cheap audio interface is REALLY crappy (screen built-in speakers) frown

BTW ... what is "fettling"?

Maybe...fiddling, weirdly misspelled? laugh it kiiinda sounds like fiddling, if you squint a little (with your ears, you know...)

C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
Fettling is a bit like deburring, I suppose.

(It's a real word. There's a definition for it. And then there's the colloquial use in UK English.)

Last edited by clothearednincompo; 04/17/20 09:26 AM.
Most (all?) external audio interfaces come with an ASIO driver ... along with whatever other drivers are required for the interface.

Built in audio interfaces generally don't have an ASIO driver ... although I've heard that some few do.

So that's why I was wondering what you're using.
Is there several ASIO? I have no clue, pianoteq now has the option "ASIO4ALL v2" since I installed the first thing google found when I typed "asio drivers install" laugh
The cheap audio interface is REALLY crappy (screen built-in speakers) frown

3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Doug M.
RME babyface pro is expensive but it's the Apple Mac of the audio-interface world---no fettling required usually.
Except RME BabyFace seems to have no bugs what-so-ever. And RME seems to provide firmware update support for over a decade.

Built in audio interfaces generally don't have an ASIO driver ... although I've heard that some few do.
My Dell laptop has RealTek built in audio card. Realtek ASIO driver is terrible; it crashes from time to time and only allows very large buffer sizes. If you want latest RealTek drivers this gets you started (but I wouldn't bother unless you or your system have problems).

https://www.tenforums.com/sound-audio/135259-latest-realtek-hd-audio-driver-version-2-a.html

Finally, the old ASIO4ALL is quite old and not "the best" these days. I read complaints that it does not run optimally on Windows 10. Some suggested that if you have a modern ASIO driver, ASIO4ALL might interfere with computer performance so I uninstalled ASIO4ALL and just use the RME drivers that came with my external interface.

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Yep you really don't want to use ASIO4All now. Plus the windows 10 WASPI driver is not bad. Not as good as ASIO but it now delivers under 10msec roundtrip audio latency.

Some software like Cakewalk by Bandlab have worked with Microsoft on the driver. I have used it and for simple projects and playback it has been fine.

I will add a basic USB audio interface from Focusrite, Presonus, MOTU would be money well spent for a ASIO driver. I would only suggest getting one with a MIDI I/O onboard the Audio Interface. Reason being sometimes it comes in handy and the units with it on board are not much more money.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Even better performance if using a desktop box would result from getting a FireWire or thunderbolt card and external DAC or recording interface for it. By using DMA for the I/O work is offloaded from the CPU so that you have more processing power for pianoteq, and no latency issues.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
FireWire or thunderbolt card and external DAC or recording interface for it. By using DMA for the I/O work is offloaded from the CPU so that you have more processing power for pianoteq, and no latency issues.
FireWire was great but it is older so difficult support.

TB provides much better performance than USB2 but for virtual pianos they are expensive and there may be no significant benefit. For intense video work-gaming, professional audio engineering with lots of tracks, etc. TB can be awesome.

Some TB caveats to think about if you like that path:

- Few TB consumer audio interfaces sold. Some of them have software issues that are not getting resolved. I think there is a price premium.

- No TB3 interfaces. Since all recent computers are only TB3, you likely will need to buy another adapter (e.g. TB2 - TB3 dongle - cheap ones are unreliable)

- Good USB2 interfaces perform about as well as good TB interfaces for latency for consumers (see GS low latency database for apples-to-apples testing by an audio engineer).

- Vin who runs that GS database interviewed the founder of RME in a 2019 podcast. The founder said engineering TB firmware was very time consuming (and expensive). RME has TB interfaces but the founder said their USB2 performs just as well for consumers so they are not moving those interfaces from USB2.

- Intel sold some "low power" thunderbolt controllers. If your laptop has one, then it might run with half the lanes and might not support some TB accessories. Check your laptop to make sure you have a higher-performing thunderbolt controller. Years ago Intel stated this would largely migrate to the CPU but since the new 10th gen CPUs for 2020 are essentially 6th gen Skylake CPUs, that has not happened.

- Very few AMD TB options. They are rolling out now.

There are plenty of lousy USB interfaces so do your research before buying.

OP Offline
I don't understand the drivers thingy really, when I set up my desktop it already had this "realtek HD audio" thing, I suppose that is somehow in the motherboard...? So what's the benefit of having asio instead of that? ASIO > Realtek?

3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Sorry. You can try the RealTek ASIO, the ASIO4All, WASABI, to see what allows you to play Pianoteq with lowest buffers and no popping.

OP Offline

I still don't know how to check the "system setting" for this...Googling didn't show anything useful so far...

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I have the same problem after reinstalling windows recently, Pianoteq ran pretty well before, now there is popping all the time. I have same hardware I had before(except CPU):
i7 9700K
16 GB RAM
SSD
Presonus AUDIOBOX USB 96
My settings:
[Linked Image]
And BTW it worked pretty well on 64 samples(before reinstalling windows)

Last edited by Nordomus; 04/23/20 11:51 AM.

Roland LX708
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Sometimes it takes several hours and restarts for the operating system and drivers to settle down after a clean install, so maybe that is your issue.

Make sure windows power options is "high performance" or similar.

Make sure you have the latest AudioBox drivers and firmware.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
[quote=Chopin Acolyte]
I don't have the "ultimate" plan there, but I guess "Ryzen 5 High performance plan" will do...
[quote=Chopin Acolyte]

Interesting, how do I know what my "system setting" is? I thought that this was entirely pianoteq thing...

1) hence the link on how to activate it. High performance should be enough, it should lock the CPU into turbo mode as well. Pianoteq does not like the variations of the clock speed.

2) In case that this is a real question: system settings -> system -> sound -> sound control panel (text link on the right side of the window)-> double click on your playback device -> advanced. There you see the system sample rate. That has to be the same as in pianoteq.

I don't understand the drivers thingy really, when I set up my desktop it already had this "realtek HD audio" thing, I suppose that is somehow in the motherboard...? So what's the benefit of having asio instead of that? ASIO > Realtek?

Most people here have a hard-on for ASIO. It does have it's adavantages, esp when you start working with VSThosts. If you use the standalone players, esp in pianoteq, Windows sound is also an option. You can set it to 192 samples and play with a 4ms buffer latency just fine.

Originally Posted by newer player
Sometimes it takes several hours and restarts for the operating system and drivers to settle down after a clean install, so maybe that is your issue.
Definitely. AV program and Windows indexing service will run amok for quite a while.
Just leave the computer running for a night, so windows can do it's thing.

Last edited by Granyala; 04/24/20 05:03 AM.

The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.
VPC 1 -> Pianoteq 7 Std | Garritan CFX / Pearl Alto Flute 201
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission