2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
64 members (arl16, anotherscott, Burkey, Anglagard44, accordeur, bwv872, Bill McKaig,RPT, andredatele, 16 invisible), 663 guests, and 461 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
AKG K-240 Studio: good headphones for digital piano
#2967594 04/16/20 05:29 AM
OP Offline
Headphones are an essential piece of equipment for a DP owner, no doubt about that.

Definitely not all of them suit the purpose.

After a long search/selection and specs/reviews comparisons, plus phone calls to music stores and friends, exchanging opinions in order to choose a pair of headphones set to be used "specifically" with a digital piano, I narrowed down my search to a few models and finally picked up the one I deemed to be the most suitable to my needs AND budget:

AKG K-240 Studio

So I ordered them from Thomann and received them a couple of days ago (€56, tax & shipping included).

I spent some time testing them with "acoustic piano" presets and a number of other sounds in my DP* (there are too many to test them all properly)

They work like a charm, so far the best audio response I got from the instrument: I can finally hear how my piano actually sounds.

very good price/quality ratio, IMHO...

Light enough and comfortable to wear, they adapt easily to your head. Being circumaural, ears tend to get a little warm (that's the only detail I'm not too fond of), yet, after several hours of use, it really wasn't a big deal.

There is still a lot to mention about specs and features but I don't want to make it too long.

I'm sure that better results can be achieved with some higher-end headphones, if you're willing to pay the price.

but I like "good & cheap" wink

to those who might be interested...

(*Kawai MP7SE)

(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Re: AKG K-240 Studio: good headphones for digital piano
Ragtime2k #2967626 04/16/20 07:37 AM
J
J
I've had these for 5 years or so, and while they are nice and warm in the midrange, that's mostly all you get. The highs and lows are noticeably recessed. Great for some music and vocals, and definitely not bad for piano, I just wouldn't say I recommend them specifically for this task. But being cheap, they are definitely a good value.

Ragtime2k #2967644 04/16/20 08:32 AM
OP Offline
I may be wrong but I believe good quality mid-range frequencies are "the" problem, when it comes to headphones for digital pianos.

besides, I have to disagree: I have a pretty good response both in high and low frequencies, as well.

frequency response range goes 15-25000hz, 55 ohm, nothing is exaggerated, quite balanced instead.
basses are full but not overblown and highs are clean and not hissing.

the sound is nice and linear, though full and warm, throughout all the keyboard extension, for all the sounds I tried.

I don't know which instrument you used them with, but I can say they perform pretty well on my MP7SE.

Ragtime2k #2967653 04/16/20 09:07 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
I think what you get for your monies, the AKG K-240 along with SuperLux 681 (EVO or not EVO versions) are the best you can get. To do better the amount of extra money you have to spend is a lot. I've a recollection the three Macs has a spreadsheet of headphones and from memory there is nothing close to the response curve of these headphones until you start paying a lot.

KevinM #2967660 04/16/20 09:24 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by KevinM
for your monies, the AKG K-240 ...are the best you can get. To do better the amount of extra money you have to spend is a lot. ... there is nothing close to the response curve of these headphones until you start paying a lot.
...my point exactly.

and "a lot" means three times the price and up...

anyway I've been searching for some kind of a "straight answer" to the question "good headphones for digital piano to buy without having to put a mortgage on my house" and I didn't get any.

I believe the K-240 Studio could be such a "straight answer".
I take no responsibility, though... all I can say is that I bought them and I'd buy them again.

(no, I don't get a dime from AKG...) :P

Ragtime2k #2967679 04/16/20 10:16 AM
J
J
Originally Posted by Ragtime2k
I may be wrong but I believe good quality mid-range frequencies are "the" problem, when it comes to headphones for digital pianos.

besides, I have to disagree: I have a pretty good response both in high and low frequencies, as well.

frequency response range goes 15-25000hz, 55 ohm, nothing is exaggerated, quite balanced instead.
basses are full but not overblown and highs are clean and not hissing.

the sound is nice and linear, though full and warm, throughout all the keyboard extension, for all the sounds I tried.

I don't know which instrument you used them with, but I can say they perform pretty well on my MP7SE.

I've used them with Pianoteq and the built-in sounds on my ES8 and PX130. I didn't say they were bad or not suited for the task, but to my ears, at least, they aren't necessarily the cans I'd recommend first. I had some Sony MDR-V6 that I bought for about $70 10 years ago (that I just recently lost mad) that sounded very nice with the piano. I also just purchased a pair of Beyerdynamic DT250 headphones ($180-$200) which also have a very nice sound, rich and balanced through the full range, slightly more bass and treble presence than the k240, but not exaggerated at all.

Being open, the k240s just have a different sound. They have a very pleasant openness to the sound, not quite as closed in as my other heaphones, but they are just a bit weak sounding at the extremes (to me). Again, not bad, just different.

Last edited by JoeThePro; 04/16/20 10:17 AM.
Ragtime2k #2967687 04/16/20 10:46 AM
O
O
I love my K-240's, been using the same pair since 1984 when I was in recording engineering school.

Ragtime2k #2967707 04/16/20 11:59 AM
C
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C
They leak very much in and out.

And they are supposed to be flat, so if strong treble and bass are desired then there are other options for that.

Not that I know anything headphones or the AKG-240 but I did try them for a while and decided that my old Sennheisers work better with my low end digital piano.

Or at least the AKG didn't bring any benefit.

Ragtime2k #2967900 04/17/20 06:04 AM
OP Offline
first, I REALLY LIKE to be able to hear what happens around me while I'm wearing headphones, so it is a matter of personal opinions whether or not the "leaking" is a good or a bad thing.

these headphones are "half-open", on purpose, and I love that.

second, I already have headphones sets with overblown bass and exaggerated high frequencies, you can have that from a $15 Sony walkman type of headphones, already.

But, when it comes to reproducing the original sonority of the instrument, things change: headphones (and speakers, too) ARE SUPPOSED to be "flat".

An unsatisfactory experience may depend on the instrument sound quality, not the headphones

Besides "flat" doesn't mean "empty", it means "linear" and that is the feel I get from these headphones: the sound is linear AND full.

Reproducing/amplifying an instrument, such as a digital piano (same a guitar and more...), DIRECTLY from it has nothing to do with listening to instruments after they are recorded/mixed/equalized, like in a song from a cd player.

A "boom-boom-hiss-hiss" kind of headphones are really not good for the purpose.

just to make an example, if you play an arpeggio in the lower area of the keyboard, with an "acoustic piano preset", the notes will sound kind of "mixed and overlapped", with the wrong (pumped) headphones, while they'll sound "clean and separate" with a linear one.

Being used to play with acoustic pianos, I could make tens of similar examples, mentioning the lack of performance digital pianos have, in comparison, in the different regions of the keyboard and playing chords with different degree of dissonance or sequences of notes more or less fast.

That would be too long to do here, of course...

All I can say is that I tested these headphones in different harmonic and melodic situations and I found them to be quite sufficiently satisfactory, considering the limitations imposed by the fact of the instrument being a digital piano, which will NEVER be an acoustic.

Nonetheless, as I mentioned on my first post, you can pay three times more and get something better, though "linear and clean" sound will always be what is needed for the case.

So I wouldn't be too sure whether the improvement would actually be worth the price...

Ragtime2k #2967925 04/17/20 08:18 AM
J
J
I'm glad you're happy with them, because in the end that's all that matters.

Ragtime2k #2967971 04/17/20 09:57 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yep, the best piece of gear is the one you like. Specs don't matter.

As for flatness ... that, too, doesn't matter to me.
If what I like from a piece of gear is measured as flat, then I guess I like flat.
If it measures as way way way not flat, then I guess I like way way way not flat.
My ears are my only measuring tools, and that's all that matters.

Ragtime2k #2968034 04/17/20 12:46 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
All I ever wanted was a pair o' h'phones that didn't sound a million miles from my piano speakers when I plug 'em in. Bit like changing from an acoustic to a digital; should be an easy transition, which we all know, often isn't the case.
I've sent loads back. Fed up of ordering new from different places. Last time I tried any in the shop, they'd been superseded by something different. Couldn't try them; they wouldn't take the risk. Went to another (piano) shop, and tried the salesman's personal ones. They were the best to date, so I bought a set. £25 for some Stagg SHP 2300 with the knowledge that I can go higher, for better in that range.
I'm ok with what I got. But if i change my speakers I'll probably have to start again on the 'phones!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beginner looking for purchase advice
by savagekeys - 12/05/20 11:21 AM
Fazioli soundboards
by Withindale - 12/05/20 10:08 AM
Practice and resting
by Ubu - 12/05/20 05:25 AM
Strange phenomena....
by piano_primo - 12/05/20 12:55 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,279
Posts3,030,862
Members99,493
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission