2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
28 members (Doug M., Georg Z., GalicianLeo, gwing, Evgeny 85, EssBrace, ChrisGoesPiano, 36251, 5 invisible), 448 guests, and 441 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Beethoven 250th Birthday Recital - Discussion Thread
#2967119 04/15/20 05:44 AM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Welcome to the general discussion thread for the Beethoven 250th Birthday Recital.

Please use this thread for any discussion of the pieces. Feel free to comment on any or all individual pieces. Some members offer comments on each submission individually; others offer general congratulations. Either approach is appropriate. Feel free to offer more specific, technical feedback if the participant had indicated that technical feedback was welcome.

For those who wish to comment on all pieces, a copy and paste template for offering feedback can be found here:
Beethoven 250th Response Template
Please use this thread only to discuss recital performances. If you have any comments or suggestions about ways to make the recital process better, please start a separate thread.

Enjoy the recital!

Sam

Re: Beethoven 250th Birthday Recital - Discussion Thread
AB Forum Recital #2967313 04/15/20 10:55 AM
I
Ido Offline
I
First batch smile

01. Jason Lenthe - Sonata #20 in G Major, 1st Movement
02. Jason Lenthe - Sonata #20 in G Major, 2nd Movement
I can hear vast improvement in your playing! Tone, evenness, dynamics. It just sounds better overall.
One thing I can say is that with such clear and even playing, my ears are desperately looking for some imperfection, some disruption. I think emphasizing the contrast in the dynamics even more will achieve that (there were several parts where you did that and it sounded awesome).

03. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Sonatina in F Major, Anh. 5, No. 2, Mvmt. 1
04. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Sonatina in F Major, Anh. 5, No. 2, Mvmt. 2
I see a vast improvement in your playing as well! Good job.
This piece sounds very challenging. I would personally pick a slower tempo and focus on evenness in the rhythm to make this sound more solid.

05. Tim Adrianson - Nine Variations on "Quant'e Piu Bello" WoO 69
Beautiful as always. I especially liked the last one.

06. Tim Adrianson - Piano Sonata #28, Op 101, 1st Mvt
Simply marvelous playing! Beyond words.

07. Ruth CM - Sonata No. 8 in C Minor, Op.13, "Pathetique", 2nd Mvmt
What a touch you have! Really beautiful playing!!

08. Ruth CM - Sonata No. 8 in C Minor, Op.13, "Pathetique", 3rd Mvmt
I really prefer this piece being played at a slower tempo but I haven’t found anyone who plays it slower… I just think this beautiful piece is losing something when played so fast. But that’s just a general rant smile
Regarding the playing here - really great, Could use a bit more pedal as it sometimes sounds a bit dry (or maybe add reverb?).

09. Jordan Nylander - Sonata 1 in F minor - I Allegro
10. Jordan Nylander - Sonata 1 in F minor - II Adagio
11. Jordan Nylander - Sonata 1 in F minor - III Allegretto
12. Jordan Nylander - Sonata 1 in F minor - IV Prestissimo
Sam, could you fix the YouTube link (remove the http prefix)?
Jordan - great playing!
The left hand is sometimes too loud and the reverb-full recording brings it a bit over the top. Still, great performance.

AB Forum Recital #2967341 04/15/20 11:40 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Just listened to #19, Carey's (Phil's) Sonata Op. 7 first movement. Wow! Terrific mastery of the technical difficulties, which are rife, and a fabulous rendering of the coda, one of the best I've ever heard. Total commitment to the music. Loved it.

SRF
AB Forum Recital #2967350 04/15/20 12:08 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
#65, Tyrone Slothrop, German Dance in Eb Major, WoO 13, No. 9. What a charming, delightful piece, performed with charm to match. I love Beethoven miniatures and this one, which I had never heard before, did not disappoint. Some nice phrasing and careful attention to the voice leading, which is not complex but still important to get right, especially the lovely dissonances. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Perhaps work on making the melody in the middle section more lyrical, and re-think the ornaments?

SRF
AB Forum Recital #2967351 04/15/20 12:08 PM
J
J
Thanks for all the music you've shared!

Thanks for your comment Ido.

I was planning on playing these pieces for a Holy Week concert on the Organ, and was happy that I could now share them here with you all! Recordings are from my video camera on my church's piano. Better piano than I have at home. I'll try and work on finding better ways to record for the future. The recording is a bit hot and picks up a lot of sound. Sounds live though!

Comments:

Jason Lenthe - Sonata #20 in G Major
Loved the energy you put into this Sonata. It was very upbeat. Thanks for sharing.

Tim Adrianson
Great selections. I love the choices of Sonatas 28 and 27. nice thoughtful playing as well.

Ruth CM - Pathetique
Great job on the dynamic contrast. You really capture my attention by bringing this familiar song to new life!

More comments to come.

AB Forum Recital #2967366 04/15/20 12:30 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Question on Pathetique Sonata Op 13 2nd Movement. I've listened to the submitted ones and really enjoy them. We'll done I'll listen more closely again later.

I started learning this piece with my teacher and was wondering if you stick with legato fingering as much as possible, even if you are using pedal. If I'm using pedal, my hands want to gravitate to doing less work smile The teacher on the other hand suggests I stick with the legato fingering (like 4 over 5, finger substitutions, etc). And I'm focusing on learning this on an acoustic, as opposed to the hybrid I have. Thanks!

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
bSharp(C)yclist #2967423 04/15/20 02:05 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
Question on Pathetique Sonata Op 13 2nd Movement. [...] I started learning this piece with my teacher and was wondering if you stick with legato fingering as much as possible, even if you are using pedal. If I'm using pedal, my hands want to gravitate to doing less work smile The teacher on the other hand suggests I stick with the legato fingering (like 4 over 5, finger substitutions, etc). And I'm focusing on learning this on an acoustic, as opposed to the hybrid I have. Thanks!
Not sure if I understand your question. Piano teachers often tend to create problems that did not exist before they raised an issue... I do not like piano teachers. Well, I am playing the melody notes with what you might call "legato fingering" (i.e. I leave the finger on the key until the next melody note - and I am using the pedal as well). However, I am not playing the accompanying notes in that manner, I am tipping those keys in a very delicate way, hardly touching them, as if they were dotted, and the pedal is doing the rest. Otherwise the accompaniment will get too loud.

05 Tim - Nine Variations on "Quant'è più bello" I have played these variations in my childhood and remember them very well. I like your energetic playing (though your runs are not always perfect which you are camouflaging with the pedal).

07 Ruth – 2nd Mvmt from Sonata Pathétique I enjoyed your version of this piece very much. Your rendition is rather close to how I understand and feel this Adagio. Your Yamaha digital sounds good.

48 KevinM – Bagatelle 119.4 How beautiful! Thanks for this wonderful recording. I like the sound of your Synthogy American D.

49 KevinM – 2nd Movement from Moonlight Sonata Just perfect, I enjoyed your rendition very much. I think you are a very good Beethoven interpreter, not so much a Chopin guy.

60 Morodiene – 2nd Mvt of Sonata Pathétique A very interesting rendition with more rubato and tempo changes than I would have expected. I particularly like it that you are definitely not at all trying to copy any rendition of one of the great pianists and have created an original interpretation of your own.

AB Forum Recital #2967570 04/16/20 01:37 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Some like to describe Beethoven as full of big drama. Tempestuous and passionate. However the first 5 recordings seem too all delight in a joyful playfulness. I think these are a lovely start to the recital. Thank you Jason, bsharp and Tim. They were all a delight to listen to.

No. 6 by Tim again, is the first to add some mood I think and I felt Timmcaptured the mood of the piece.

Nos. 7,8 by Ruth.CM. Fantastic. I love your playing and the sound you can get from your piano.

AB Forum Recital #2967583 04/16/20 04:02 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
03-04 BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) – Sonatina in F A very joyful tune, it reminded me a bit of Clementi - fun to listen to. I like the runs you are playing in the 2nd movement.

09-12 Jordan Nylander – Sonata #1 in F I am always impressed by pianists who can play a whole sonata with all of its movements, well, you have a BA in piano, composition and jazz, so one would expect perfect renditions such as these from you. You seem to be representing the younger generation here. It’s good to find people on PW who are not yet in their 70s or 80s. Beethoven was in his early 20s when he wrote this sonata. I like the energetic Prestissimo best – this is what I expect from Beethoven, even though it is one of his early compositions.

41 Jordan Nylander – 1st Mvmt of Moonlight Sonata This piece is entitled “Quasi una fantasia” and that’s what it is to me. Your rendition is “conventional” if that is the proper word, very much how I expect this piece to sound like. Well, I wonder if it was possible to bring out the melody in a manner somewhat more clear by playing the arpeggiated accompaniment a bit softer, but that to some extent depends on the instrument and I have the impression that your acoustic grand is a bit out of tune and not reacting precisely. The introducing chat with your partner was quite joyful…

47 Alan – 2nd Movement Sonata Pathétique Congratulations on your new instrument. So your wife dislikes your playing the piano while she is at home. Now that you have got such a fine grand piano it is time to get rid of her.

AB Forum Recital #2967588 04/16/20 04:44 AM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Terrific recital so far, though I'm only at no. 13. Lucky 13 in this case, as Tim Adrianson never fails to sparkle!
Jordan Nylander, fantastic Sonata no 1, I was particularly taken with the 4th Movement,
I loved Ruth's Pathetique, BSharpCyclist your sonatinas were lovely,
And Jason, what can I say, great job, I am taking notes! I was really interested in some of the different choices in articulation etc we made. (aside from the more fundamental observation that your performance is pretty polished and mine is still frankly sloppy!)

[Linked Image]
Pianist685 #2967591 04/16/20 05:10 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
51-53. ALiao78 Sonata No. 6 in F major Opus 10 No 2

I loved this, beautiful played with wonderful articulation and a fantastic interpretation.

Last edited by KevinM; 04/16/20 05:10 AM.
KevinM #2967669 04/16/20 09:55 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KevinM

I loved this, beautiful played with wonderful articulation and a fantastic interpretation.
+1 Great performance, Andy!

SRF
KevinM #2967752 04/16/20 02:38 PM

Thanks...really liked your playing of the Op. 119/4 Bagatelle!

SiFi #2967753 04/16/20 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by SiFi

+1 Great performance, Andy!

Same with your performances, especially the A-Flat Major Op. 120...wouldn't expect anything less from you!

AB Forum Recital #2967770 04/16/20 04:03 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I've really enjoyed the submissions I've listened to thus far, and hope to get through all of them in the next few days. Thanks again to Sam for pulling it all together. smile

Question. I'm happy to submit positive comments to the various participants when the spirit moves me - but would it be better to offer any well-intended suggestions for improvement through Private Messages? None of us are "pros" and we certainly can learn from each other as we strive to improve. But the last thing I'd want to do is make anyone feel bad about what they've accomplished, and any suggestions would be phrased constructively. Just thought I'd ask, since I haven't participated on one of these online recitals for several years now. Thanks.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
AB Forum Recital #2967773 04/16/20 04:21 PM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Carey

Your submission from your masters is all class. It was just wonderful to listen to.

In relation to your constructive critique comment, I think it depends, if it gets technically quite involved then DM is probably best. Otherwise I think just do what you think is right.

AB Forum Recital #2967775 04/16/20 04:31 PM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
I can understand why Opus 13. Pathetique second movement is so popular. I enjoyed all 4 interpretations from this recital. They are all worth listening to and giving your full attention.

It is interesting to hear different interpretations of the same piece, and what different pianos give. Thank you all.

AB Forum Recital #2967776 04/16/20 04:38 PM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Submissions 61, 66

The 119 No 1 Bagatelle.

I enjoyed both of these recordings very much. I have the music for this but have never learnt, so I have a new piece to add to my collection of pieces to learn.

For some reason, jaunty is the word that comes to mind and I feel both versions captured that spirit.

KevinM #2967786 04/16/20 05:04 PM
Carey

Your submission from your masters is all class. It was just wonderful to listen to.

In relation to your constructive critique comment, I think it depends, if it gets technically quite involved then DM is probably best. Otherwise I think just do what you think is right.
Kevin - thanks for the feedback - and the guidance - Most appreciated !!!!! Phil

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Carey #2967796 04/16/20 05:43 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Carey
I've really enjoyed the submissions I've listened to thus far, and hope to get through all of them in the next few days. Thanks again to Sam for pulling it all together. smile

Question. I'm happy to submit positive comments to the various participants when the spirit moves me - but would it be better to offer any well-intended suggestions for improvement through Private Messages? None of us are "pros" and we certainly can learn from each other as we strive to improve. But the last thing I'd want to do is make anyone feel bad about what they've accomplished, and any suggestions would be phrased constructively. Just thought I'd ask, since I haven't participated on one of these online recitals for several years now. Thanks.

Carey, it's pretty rare to get suggestions for improvements in the ABF recitals - but it is nice when it happens. This recital is special though - I don't think we have ever had so many excellent players at the same time. Be polite, supportive and helpful, and we can all benefit from reading your comments.

Sam

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hailun 218 vs Feurich 218
by Sonepica - 11/30/20 03:03 AM
The Search Continues--thoughts on Round Three?
by jmiley97302 - 11/29/20 11:15 PM
Why no enough like for Casio GP?
by Harpuia - 11/29/20 11:12 PM
My Yamaha P-515 Review / Impressions
by Chummy - 11/29/20 09:48 PM
New member! My apologies!
by ul7 - 11/29/20 07:24 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,154
Posts3,028,741
Members99,423
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission