2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
57 members (Ampersand, 36251, anotherscott, c++, briangmoore, chopinetto, Bill McKaig,RPT, 16 invisible), 521 guests, and 462 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by BruceD
Mr. Hamelin may find himself in a similar situation to some of us where we want to get our piano tuned but are, of necessity, avoiding bringing in a tuner during the current crisis.

Yes, good point. I had my D tuned the end of Jan. and it's still rock solid but I use someone separate for the voicing and regulation. It's been two years since she voiced and while not drastic, it could use it. It's starting to bother me a bit. But yes, she's not taking any appointments until all of this settles down a bit.

And yes maybe it is a new piano, that just needs a bit of work.

Conrad Johnson is audiophile quality for certain ! Nice. I have smaller, desk top active studio monitors - Neumann KH 310As with a Crane Song Solaris Quantum DAC.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
Thanks for posting that Rich. I'm a huge fan as well. Loved it, especially the Debussy. An incredible Artist !

Just my thought on the piano and I sort of hate to even bring it up because the musical level was so high but..... I'm a Fazioli fan but didn't care that much for the tone here. It might have been the mics, placement or pre-amp.

You are totally welcome, Dave.

I actually hear a processed tone. There was reverb. added, maybe a filter, his speech was very good with no lavalier, which means (to me) this was not just a pair of mics. in a piano. This FB Live was produced. There is nothing wrong with that, but it could also possibly explain some of your thoughts, Dave.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila Area
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
The Science Channel on our piano restoration
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Rich, thanks for posting: the concert made my day! Scriabin is still ringing in my ears.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
K
K
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
That's not to say while playing - is it a 212 or 228 ? - or sitting in the room , the piano could have a totally different tonal character.

It's an F278 from what looks to be between the early 2000s and the early to mid-2010s.

Originally Posted by Retsacnal
So often we see the perspective that the only valid piano is a brand new Steinschläger, and that a concert technician must be kept on retainer once it's acquired. People can argue whether Hamelin's the best of the best, or simply amongst the best, but the fact that a pianist of his caliber chose a six foot Estonia certainly underscores the notion that the distinction between piano brands is neither as sharp nor significant as some people would like to believe it is! And while I don't advocate neglecting maintenance, the constant ministrations of a concert technician may not be necessary either.
I agree.

I have an around 12 year old Mason BB. My piano tech is universally respected and has told me that I could even have my piano tuned only once/year although I tune it twice yearly. Despite my asking him many times he has never felt it needed a major regulation or voicing. He does do some touch up regulation and voicing on most tuning visits. The piano probably averages and hour/day of mostly soft playing.

IOW I think, to at least some extent, there is an overemphasis on the need for tuning, voicing, and regulation on this forum.

Perhaps the dealer prep on my piano was better than average. Some people are fussier or have more sensitive ears/fingers than others. And some pianists play their pianos far more and at far louder dynamic levels than I do which may increase the need for more maintenance. My guess is 90% of pianos never receive a major voicing or regulation after they're sold.

I
I
Originally Posted by ando
Originally Posted by impossiblejj
I attended his recital last year and was not impressed at all, his playing was very uneven (weak Chopin etc, brilliant Gerschwin and Debussy). I think he was made pianistic superstar... but there is a lot of repertoire where he doesn't deliver what would be expected from him based on his fame. However, I will not say that his abilities are among those whom I written above. His is good pianist, but I wouldn't attend his recital again.

"not impressed at all". Seriously?

Yes. Many years ago I was fan of MAH, I have lots of his recordings. I love his Kapustin, Godowksy, Busoni Concerto, CD with encores and so on. That made him superstar. But when he switched to playing Chopin and so on... he is just not there. What I mean, is, that everyone thinks that after his concert will be thrilled and amazed... I was neither. During last 3 years I attended all of the piano reitals of world class pianists - which took place in one the worls acoustically best concert halls (National Polish Radio Symphony Orchestra Hall - http://www.nospr.org.pl ) - we has Sokolov, Seon-Jin Cho, Trifonov, Akiko Ebi, Andsnes, Lugansky, and probably I missed one or two. Out of all those recitals, Sokolov was the best, followed by Cho, Trifonov, Nikolai and others. Hamelin is last. Leif is one place before, but his recital was made of children pieces (as it was during festival, where the main motiv was children music), hence last, as you can't easy compare one playing easy Grieg Lyrical Pieces or Schumann op.68 with Etudes-Tableaux....

Hamelin does a lot of wonderful job inside the pieces, but I think he truly excels beyond anyone, when other people are breaking their fingers (ubervirtuoso pieces). I would not call him a mainstream repertoire superhero, and I think this is what is widely expected from him. On the other hand side, the repertoire he plays is something we will never hear from any other mainstream pianist, so instead working 10 years on 4 Chopin Ballades, he just shows a lot of great music.

Again - I think his Godowsky recordings (not only Etudes) are still benchmark. I heard many others, but well, noone come close to Marc smile

On the contrary - Zimerman makes everyone thrilled at concerts, but as he said, he plays publicly only like 1% of his repertoire, if not even less. Than you may ask what is the reason of playing 40 or 50 throught whole life smile

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
So often we see the perspective that the only valid piano is a brand new Steinschläger, and that a concert technician must be kept on retainer once it's acquired. People can argue whether Hamelin's the best of the best, or simply amongst the best, but the fact that a pianist of his caliber chose a six foot Estonia certainly underscores the notion that the distinction between piano brands is neither as sharp nor significant as some people would like to believe it is! And while I don't advocate neglecting maintenance, the constant ministrations of a concert technician may not be necessary either.
I agree.

I have an around 12 year old Mason BB. My piano tech is universally respected and has told me that I could even have my piano tuned only once/year although I tune it twice yearly. Despite my asking him many times he has never felt it needed a major regulation or voicing. He does do some touch up regulation and voicing on most tuning visits. The piano probably averages and hour/day of mostly soft playing.

IOW I think, to at least some extent, there is an overemphasis on the need for tuning, voicing, and regulation on this forum.

Perhaps the dealer prep on my piano was better than average. Some people are fussier or have more sensitive ears/fingers than others. And some pianists play their pianos far more and at far louder dynamic levels than I do which may increase the need for more maintenance. My guess is 90% of pianos never receive a major voicing or regulation after they're sold.

+1

“If it sounds good, it IS good.”
― Duke Ellington
!

6000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
As I re-read my comment above, it occurred to me to make a followup.

I didn't want to say "this person and that person say such and such," so I was deliberately vague. But I did not mean to imply that Rich is one who comes across that way. I'm sure that Cunningham is capable of taking care of the most discriminating player, but I suspect that they take care of the entire spectrum of clientele, including those with tighter budgets.

“If it sounds good, it IS good.”
― Duke Ellington
!
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Thank you !
I loved the recital !
The clarity in the CPE Bach was amazing as was the
subtle shading .I loved the Fazioli for this piece.
The Debussy Preludes ,again beautiful transparent
lines .I get the sharpness in tone but am glad the fault lies in recording.
Wonderful pianist and wonderful piano.

Confusion about the need to have my piano (which
was new ) regulated after a few months actually came from a bad translation into English from a
booklet that came with the piano.This caused me to
worry about the fact that my piano would need regulation and voicing after a few months.
When I finally got an independant concert technician
in to tune ,and do touch up regulation he said there
was hardly anything that needed to be done apart
from tuning. The voicing was fine as well.
So yes I do believe that there is an over emphasis
here about regulation and voicing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New Yamaha CX series vs Boston
by GraceTuraco - 04/20/21 09:15 PM
Thinking of buying a 2007 Yamaha G2 5'7" Grand
by Teresa100 - 04/20/21 07:52 PM
Estonia L190 Bass Scale
by mbd - 04/20/21 07:52 PM
A closer look at the Feurich 'Vienna' 123 model
by oswaldpeters - 04/20/21 04:22 PM
generic name for Mellotron
by TheophilusCarter - 04/20/21 03:24 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,432
Posts3,084,709
Members101,254
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission