2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
66 members (Abdol, Baltguy, ambrozy, APianistHasNoName, accordeur, An Old Square, Beansparrow, 18 invisible), 667 guests, and 892 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2965428 04/10/20 01:15 PM
Duaner Offline OP
OP Offline
I want to be able to sit down at the piano and just "join in" to others with no rehearsal at all, to a song (any song) that others are playing at that moment. Just go and join in without discord. I figure the only way to do this especially if you don't know the melody (for the right hand) is to just play the chords relevant to the music.

If you play guitar you can just join in to other guitarist as they play along using the 1-4-5 rule (once you know the key the song is in) and so I would like to know how to do this with the piano also. I figure that the only way to do this is to play chords with the right hand instead of plunking out the melody. Can anyone give me instructions or at least a better way to join in?

Duane Graves

"Pushin 70...still haven fun I think..."
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
For what you say you want to learn, I recommend this site:

https://pianofool.com/

That is exactly what he teaches. By doing it guided by a methodology, you will get all you need rather than piecemeal with a bit of this and that. He goes into using chord inversions and that sort of thing, with the idea of being able to jam with other people.

Tony

Last edited by TonyB; 04/10/20 01:31 PM.

Roland V-Grand
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
You are correct about playing chords is the way to be able to just "join in".

As long as the chord progressions are those that you are familiar with ... i.e. 1,4,5 or any other you recognize.

However, you do not have to play them with your right hand.

Since you apparently do not intend to play an of the melody .... you can use both hands to play notes of the chords.

Usually you will play the root (lowest tone) of the chord with the left hand and any other chord tones you wish to include.

The right hand can be used to play other chord tones and/or additional "color" tones (not 1,3, 5,or 7).

You can then use both hands to develop the rhythm you wish to employ with the music.

Good Luck

Last edited by dmd; 04/10/20 01:37 PM.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, Edifier R1850DB Bookshelf speakers, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Here is a site that might be a great help for you ....

https://www.doctorkeys.com/

Don

J
J
This is something that interests me too. I often find myself sitting in with a band and playing off of chord sheets. I can bang the chords but I have noticed better comping piano players have go to tricks and riffs that bring that piano to a higher level. They just know what to do beyond broken chords. But where to learn the tricks of the trade?

“Nobody wants to show you the hours and hours of becoming. They'd rather show the highlight of what they've become.”
― Angela Duckworth, Grit: Passion, Perseverance, and the Science of Success
Duaner Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Josh1770
This is something that interests me too. I often find myself sitting in with a band and playing off of chord sheets. I can bang the chords but I have noticed better comping piano players have go to tricks and riffs that bring that piano to a higher level. They just know what to do beyond broken chords. But where to learn the tricks of the trade?

I hear you Josh, if you find the "shortcuts" and there are some I'm confident, I hope you'll share them with me....but for now I think my only refrain is to find a program I think might lead me to the end I desire, invest in it and ride it till I see exactly where it's headed....although I'm very curious and envious of those who can slip into any piece and not only "play-along" but add to the music.

Duane Graves

"Pushin 70...still haven fun I think..."
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

Here is a site that might be helpful ...

https://www.doctorkeys.com/

Don

J
J
DMD - I took a look at doctorkeys (and the pianofool) when you posted it last night. It seems like doctorkeys is closer to what I am looking for (especially the second level) but I can't be sure. Is this something you've tried and are familiar with?

“Nobody wants to show you the hours and hours of becoming. They'd rather show the highlight of what they've become.”
― Angela Duckworth, Grit: Passion, Perseverance, and the Science of Success
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
DMD - I took a look at doctorkeys (and the pianofool) when you posted it last night. It seems like doctorkeys is closer to what I am looking for (especially the second level) but I can't be sure. Is this something you've tried and are familiar with?

Yes, I have tried and it is very good.

If you tested the subscription option you know it only costs $25 for 6 months access.

So it is very affordable and I repeat .... it is very good.

As far as I remember, it aims at exactly what the OP is interested in .... playing chordal accompaniments and quite sophisticated ones also ... not just simple stuff.

He is a very nice player and it would be well worth the $25 fee.

Even though I really do not wish to go in that direction, I am considering coughing up another 25 just because his instruction is so thorough and enjoyable.

Good Luck

Don

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Duaner
I want to be able to sit down at the piano and just "join in" to others with no rehearsal at all, to a song (any song) that others are playing at that moment. Just go and join in without discord. I figure the only way to do this especially if you don't know the melody (for the right hand) is to just play the chords relevant to the music.

If you play guitar you can just join in to other guitarist as they play along using the 1-4-5 rule (once you know the key the song is in) and so I would like to know how to do this with the piano also. I figure that the only way to do this is to play chords with the right hand instead of plunking out the melody. Can anyone give me instructions or at least a better way to join in?

If you learn your chords well, then you will be able to do this with many basic tunes before long. The issue though is going beyond basic progressions. To be a good ear player and accompanists takes years. Usually people that get there were already good at all the other disciplines like reading theory and chords.

Most of your time should be on these other disciplines first.

The ones that just sit down and play along with sophisticated music are experienced musicians.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T

Glad that you found the right course for you. That is what matters most. I looked at that site that dmd recommended, and it does look quite good and reasonably priced.

Tony

Roland V-Grand

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ned Rorem
by Steveskates - 12/01/21 09:00 PM
When Pianist and Piano Rebuilder Get together
by Chernobieff Piano - 12/01/21 08:51 PM
Regulating a digital piano advice needed
by Purdy - 12/01/21 06:06 PM
WNG Portable Piano pounder.
by jkess114 - 12/01/21 05:16 PM
Talking while playing
by wg73 - 12/01/21 03:19 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,340
Posts3,150,093
Members103,487
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission