2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
43 members (Burkey, Bett, anotherscott, 1957, Auraltuner, cmb13, BrokenSymmetry, Alexander Acosta, 9 invisible), 386 guests, and 404 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Where is everyone?
Ted #2965031 04/09/20 12:59 PM
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ted
For a retired person of solitary temperament at the best of times, being confined to home except for essentials has turned out rather well. Everything is slower and quieter, the air is noticeably fresher, no tedious duties to perform, no forced contact with tiresome people, no pressure to go out or attend functions. I've been training hard, working in the section and giving the piano heaps. Fortunately I had it tuned just before lockdown.

This is very similar to me and to my situation, except that I wish I had had the piano tuned more recently than I did. It's calling for attention that it's not getting at the moment, although it's holding rather well except for a few unisons.

Indeed, everything is slower, isn't it? While I have more time to do the things around the house that need doing on a regular basis, I do find that I am accomplishing less, and what I planned to do day before yesterday, I still haven't done. I wonder why?

Keep well.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
WeakLeftHand #2965041 04/09/20 01:28 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
ghosthand, I am so sorry that you're having a very difficult time at the moment. What you're doing is incredible.

I hope this current situation improves soon for you.

WeakLeftHand #2965090 04/09/20 02:53 PM
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
I read the threads everyday but often don't feel like I have any new insight or content to add. How many different ways are there to say "yes, you should find a teacher"? Obviously there's more discussion than that but that seems to be the running joke for the forum. My own piano journey has progressed to wanting/needing more specifics on technical issues so I do a lot of reading and watching videos from some of the masters out there who speak to my issues. I've developed shoulder and forearm pain for the first time in 30+ years of playing with no obvious change in my seating or my health. It is frustrating as I'm working on more difficult music which, of course, may be the problem. Chord and octave stretches coupled with increased tempo.

In the mornings, I'm working on my Beethoven to add to the e-cital by the 15th. Hope the sound on my recorder works better this time...my Bach was barely audible. Also it's almost Easter so I'm finding peace in playing beautiful hymns.

[Linked Image]

Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
WeakLeftHand #2965135 04/09/20 04:37 PM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Normally I'd be practicing with a music group every week but the city enforced a ban on social gathering of more than 5 people. The piano playing continues at home on an 88 keyboard. I had access to a grand piano at the local conservatory. Now that the building is shut, I can only practice at home.

Piano group lessons resumed last week. After a 2-week break, the local conservatory worked out a plan with the teachers to conduct lessons through our home computers with Zoom. Everybody would put in the meeting ID & PW to join the group meeting. Instead of tackling challenging pieces, the teacher got us into playing Jazz tunes arranged for easy piano. We had to go through a few pieces out of the Hanon 60 exercises and a Czerny Etude for the first 1/2h of class. In a typical piano class at the conservatory, no food & drink was allowed in the room. At home food & drink is accessible when the teacher chats about how everybody is surviving the week.

An interesting article:
Pandemic project: this pianist finally tackled the 'mountains of crap' in his studio

WeakLeftHand #2965159 04/09/20 05:21 PM
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
I am still around. I have not been posting much and I have not checked in lately. I also have not been reading posts as much. That is mainly due to a change in life. I’m going through a divorce and it threw off my entire world. I have not been practicing as much or playing as much. I have been reading more and starting to date. This has increased my Facebook time possibly at the expense of piano world. My soon to be 19-year-old son is home from college due to the coronavirus and the house has been loud. I’ve also been exercising more. My work schedule is thrown off. Nothing is quite right lately. All this has thrown my piano time off. Anyway, I’m getting used to it now and maybe I’ll start checking in some more once again.

:like:

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
ghosthand #2965169 04/09/20 05:36 PM
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by ghosthand
Who said this corona time meant LESS stress and less things to do???

Of course, sorry if my comments seem flippant, which they probably are come to think of it. More correctly perhaps, I find my music buoys me up during times like these, even if it only comprises a few minutes listening. I hope your situation improves soon.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
WeakLeftHand #2965179 04/09/20 05:53 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Maybe some ebb and flow and a lot of people just getting beat up with bad news constantly. It gets depressing after a while. My motivation has always seemed hit or miss. I check in regularly and I’ve been happy to see our Faber group has grown a bit and has some input. Let’s hang in there and be well.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Ido #2965208 04/09/20 07:01 PM
E
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Ido
1. I feel like the communication is broken. Someone is asking a question, you put precious time into answering, and then this person is gone, no reply, no nothing. In other cases, you reply in a thread, sometimes in a lengthy manner, which, again, took precious time, and it's completely ignored. The thread goes on as if you haven't written anything. I know I'm not the only one feeling this way.

2. Cultural differences - I always feel like people might be offended by my posts, even if I didn't mean anything. People speak in a very direct manner where I come from. I also find it hard to make connections with members outside this forum, maybe due to that reason.

1. Remember many people read the posts but don't always feel the need to reply. When the OP does not reply don't be too disheartened, the advice/opinion is there for the record. They may come back to the post (even if they don't contribute), you may have aided them (even if they don't contribute), and your thoughts may be read years done the line by others. As an example in the beginning I used to do vast searches on this site to answer some of my issues, and over the course of time this was my go to place because the internet in general was not reliable.

2. I like when people speak their mind.

Following Trying to follow the Ling Ling 40 hour method

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
WeakLeftHand #2965245 04/09/20 10:08 PM
I think everyone’s still here. Just utilizing Social Distancing.

@ thepianoplayer416, nice article. I can definitely relate to the mountains of crap!

TH
[Linked Image]
earlofmar #2965325 04/10/20 08:06 AM
I
Ido Offline
I
Originally Posted by earlofmar
1. Remember many people read the posts but don't always feel the need to reply. When the OP does not reply don't be too disheartened, the advice/opinion is there for the record. They may come back to the post (even if they don't contribute), you may have aided them (even if they don't contribute), and your thoughts may be read years done the line by others. As an example in the beginning I used to do vast searches on this site to answer some of my issues, and over the course of time this was my go to place because the internet in general was not reliable.

2. I like when people speak their mind.

That's encouraging, thank you for writing this!

Ido #2965356 04/10/20 10:40 AM

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
@Ido I feel you. Many times I wrote something and then deleted it, because of political correctness, politeness, whatever they call it on the other side of the pond. I pride myself on being attentive to other people's feelings, but some things could still come out as offensive to most Americans. But it's for the best, and I think it's what makes this particular forum a safe haven, except for the occasional bickering between some members.

@everybody
By the way, I've been on this forum for almost 8 years, could it be time to get a teacher?

grin

Ted #2965359 04/10/20 10:46 AM
A
A
Originally Posted by Ted
For a retired person of solitary temperament at the best of times, being confined to home except for essentials has turned out rather well. Everything is slower and quieter, the air is noticeably fresher, no tedious duties to perform, no forced contact with tiresome people, no pressure to go out or attend functions. I've been training hard, working in the section and giving the piano heaps. Fortunately I had it tuned just before lockdown.
+ 1 . Got my piano on December 18th and it had been tuned on delivery...

sinophilia #2965375 04/10/20 11:28 AM
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sinophilia
@Ido I feel you. Many times I wrote something and then deleted it, because of political correctness, politeness, whatever they call it on the other side of the pond. I pride myself on being attentive to other people's feelings, but some things could still come out as offensive to most Americans. But it's for the best, and I think it's what makes this particular forum a safe haven, except for the occasional bickering between some members.

@everybody
By the way, I've been on this forum for almost 8 years, could it be time to get a teacher?

grin

You do such a great job as a self-learner that I wonder what you would think about taking lessons. Are you considering it?

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
WeakLeftHand #2965423 04/10/20 02:01 PM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
@Ido

I think you would be surprised by how many old posts get read as a result of people doing searches.

I only know because I can tell from people clicking on my signature soundcloud link, and soundcloud shows the webpage url the user was on when they click the link. Many of the hits on my soundcloud are via old posts of mine here on PW.

There is no other indication that they are being read.

dogperson #2965456 04/10/20 03:20 PM

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson
You do such a great job as a self-learner that I wonder what you would think about taking lessons. Are you considering it?

I am considering it - I've been thinking about asking Shirley Kirsten to give me lessons via Skype for some time now. She is great with adult students. But I can never bring myself to actually do it! Never say never though.

sinophilia #2965476 04/10/20 04:30 PM
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sinophilia
Originally Posted by dogperson

I am considering it - I've been thinking about asking Shirley Kirsten to give me lessons via Skype for some time now. She is great with adult students. But I can never bring myself to actually do it! Never say never though.

I never say never—— not even about myself🙄.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Anthony Hopkins / National Cat Day
by MH1963 - 10/29/20 09:38 PM
Passable new string
by LemonColor - 10/29/20 09:06 PM
Faure Improvization
by cmb13 - 10/29/20 08:45 PM
Once upon a time there was a real Gors and Kallman
by Lady Bird - 10/29/20 07:01 PM
Practice advice
by 3B43 - 10/29/20 06:01 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,484
Posts3,018,571
Members99,068
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission