2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
lutuyen Offline OP
OP Offline
Does anyone have a tuning tutorial video for Yamaha G2?

- How to solve the sovle sticky key issues?
- Steps to learn proper tuning from A to Z?

I have some experience with the upright, but not with the Grand one.

Thanks for help.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
You should only tune from A to G-sharp, or H if you are German.

Semipro Tech
lutuyen Offline OP
OP Offline
Sorry. I mean a complete or comprehensive tuning tutuorial video.

Last edited by lutuyen; 04/09/20 02:18 AM. Reason: typo
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Howard Piano has some on YouTube, though not specifically for any brand.. Here is his tuning intro: Intro to Tuning. He also has one on using Tune Lap pro, an electronic tuning program\app.

Here is one with sticky keys: Sticky Keys

There are some that address lubrication also, which might cause sticky keys. He has some good videos for the DIY person .

lutuyen Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by TBell
Howard Piano has some on YouTube, though not specifically for any brand.. Here is his tuning intro: Intro to Tuning. He also has one on using Tune Lap pro, an electronic tuning program\app.

Here is one with sticky keys: Sticky Keys

There are some that address lubrication also, which might cause sticky keys. He has some good videos for the DIY person .

It's good for an upright. However, I'd like a video for a Grand piano. Thanks anyway. It's helpful as well for me to fix my upright one in the future coming to this issue.

H
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
H
Howard site also has a video demonstrating how to use a tuning hammer on a grand too.
Just search their youtube channel.

You might then either tune by ear or use an app.

S
S
Bet of all...hire a good tuner/technician who can properly and completely service your piano.

Bottom line...this isn't really a DIY task.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by lutuyen
Does anyone have a tuning tutorial video for Yamaha G2?

Nothing that specific will probably ever exist.

- How to solve the sovle sticky key issues?

By fixing whatever is causing them to stick? The problem is that there could be multiple different causes of them sticking, so you need sufficient knowledge to identify what the problem on your piano actually is, and then sufficient knowledge to know if the required remediation work lies within your ability to fix or not.

- Steps to learn proper tuning from A to Z?

If you are sufficiently committed I imagine the best way would be to seek an apprenticeship with an experienced tuner. Failing that you can read and reread the reference books, and the information on this site. There are youtube videos, but some are really bad and give ridiculous dangerous advice so you need a minimum of knowledge first. There are many different ways of tuning a piano, and even the best of the videos tend to only provide limited information on a single method so you need to know enough to know what to learn.

I have some experience with the upright, but not with the Grand one.

I am also in the position of limited experience - but if you can tune an upright to a satisfactory standard you should be able to tune any piano, provided it is in good condition and actually tunable. Identifying and fixing problems however is another matter and it is probably a lifetimes study to be able to deal with anything you might find wrong. Tread carefully and be realistic in what you might do and what is best left to others.

Thanks for help.

lutuyen Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks all. I understand what you guys concern. I never want to be involved in complicated issues and in case I think I can't fix, I'll call an expert. But still want to learn fundamentals to fix what is within my capacity to save time and money. Also, every time booking an expert in my country, it's not at hand. You have to wait until they can arrange their time, not yours. That's why I need to handle as much as I can.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Lutuyen. I say go for it. Having never worked on a piano before I bought my grand 3 years ago, I watched the various tuners my dealer sent to tune and deal with issues in my new Kawai and thought, "that doesn't look so hard." Since then I've pulled the action multiple times, read a lot of books, watched a lot of YouTube videos, and talked to a lot of techs. I've found and addressed issues in my piano that the techs, working under time constraint, did not find. I feel I now have a good working knowledge of how to adjust my action. I've regulated it better than it was from the dealer, and made some changes that have improved the action a lot. I even replaced strings and am about to try a chemical voicing solution tonight that is being debated on the tech forum. Nothing is broken yet, so yes, you can do it. If techs are hard to schedule where you're from, even more reason to do it yourself.

Have you pulled your grand action out? After doing so and moving things around, it often becomes apparent what is causing the problem. Unbolt the action rail and see if the stickiness is coming from the keys or the action. That will narrow things down a lot, and I bet it becomes apparent what is causing things to stick.

As for tuning, have you tried the Pianometer app? PW forum member Andrew Willey created it, and it does a good job of plotting an equal temperament that you can then tune your grand piano to. With your experience pulling a tuning hammer on an upright, you should be good to go on a grand. Be sure to look at the support section of his site for the video on how the software works. It's not a perfect tuning by any means, as good tuning is an art that takes a long time to master. But it will easily get you a playable tune and help you keep your piano that way.

Best of luck Lutuyen. There is so much to learn, and once you start, you realize it's both simpler and more complicated than you first imagined. But once you get into it, it's like any other mechanical device. And it's so rewarding and useful being able to diagnose and address your own piano issues, rather than having to call someone to help every time.

Last edited by Emery Wang; 04/09/20 10:51 PM.

Main battle axe: Yamaha N1
Living room axe: 1999 Petrof III
Road axe: Yamaha P515
Office axe: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
Neighbor's axe that used to be my axe: Kawai GL10
R.I.P. axe: Kawai MP11SE
lutuyen Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Emery Wang
Hi Lutuyen. I say go for it. Having never worked on a piano before I bought my grand 3 years ago, I watched the various tuners my dealer sent to tune and deal with issues in my new Kawai and thought, "that doesn't look so hard." Since then I've pulled the action multiple times, read a lot of books, watched a lot of YouTube videos, and talked to a lot of techs. I've found and addressed issues in my piano that the techs, working under time constraint, did not find. I feel I now have a good working knowledge of how to adjust my action. I've regulated it better than it was from the dealer, and made some changes that have improved the action a lot. I even replaced strings and am about to try a chemical voicing solution tonight that is being debated on the tech forum. Nothing is broken yet, so yes, you can do it. If techs are hard to schedule where you're from, even more reason to do it yourself.

Have you pulled your grand action out? After doing so and moving things around, it often becomes apparent what is causing the problem. Unbolt the action rail and see if the stickiness is coming from the keys or the action. That will narrow things down a lot, and I bet it becomes apparent what is causing things to stick.

As for tuning, have you tried the Pianometer app? PW forum member Andrew Willey created it, and it does a good job of plotting an equal temperament that you can then tune your grand piano to. With your experience pulling a tuning hammer on an upright, you should be good to go on a grand. Be sure to look at the support section of his site for the video on how the software works. It's not a perfect tuning by any means, as good tuning is an art that takes a long time to master. But it will easily get you a playable tune and help you keep your piano that way.

Best of luck Lutuyen. There is so much to learn, and once you start, you realize it's both simpler and more complicated than you first imagined. But once you get into it, it's like any other mechanical device. And it's so rewarding and useful being able to diagnose and address your own piano issues, rather than having to call someone to help every time.

Thanks for encouragement. I only need a comprehensive tuning video for a grand piano which I can't find on Youtube. I need to see from the very first step since I haven't got any experience with a grand one. I've had several with the upright ones.
If you can help shoot a fundamental video teaching me from the very very very first step, even how to unbolt neccessary stuff before tuning, considering my knowledge of a Grand Piano a BIG ZERO, I'll highly appreciate your help, Emery.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Tuning is one of the parts of working on a piano I'm least familiar with, so hopefully some actual tuners here will chime in. As for getting started, nothing to unbolt. Just take off the music desk and you should have full access to the tuning pins.

I think this video gives a good overview, but if you've tuned uprights, likely you know far more about the actual tuning process than I do.

Main battle axe: Yamaha N1
Living room axe: 1999 Petrof III
Road axe: Yamaha P515
Office axe: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
Neighbor's axe that used to be my axe: Kawai GL10
R.I.P. axe: Kawai MP11SE
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Tuning involves making all the beats one hears in all the intervals as unobtrusive as possible as regards the musical utility.

The most difficult part of piano tuning is having the skill to place the string in tune and stable.

Last edited by Ed McMorrow, RPT; 04/09/20 11:28 PM. Reason: typo

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Lutuyen, I don't think you will find a comprehensive video since tuning is somewhat complicated and is an art as much as it is a technical exercise. Most of the videos are multi-part beginning with theory like intervals, beats and inharmonicity and go from there. I don't have a good ear for beat rates (not a tech) and such so I rely on an electronic tuner. But at least I can do touch ups between my professional, technician tunings.

If you have tuned your upright the grand is very similar. Like Emery said, just slide the music stand off to get to the pins. Make sure your hammer is on the note you are playing so you don't overtighten a string and break it. You can lower the pitch at first as insurance.

If you just want to fix the unisons, just tune the outer strings to the middle one (or the left one for two string notes). I think the Howard video shows how to do that using mutes.

Also here is the hammer technique video that Hakki mentioned. Hammer Technique

Let us know how you progress. I plan to tune mine as soon as the humidity subsides.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Thanks for encouragement. I only need a comprehensive tuning video for a grand piano which I can't find on Youtube. I need to see from the very first step since I haven't got any experience with a grand one. I've had several with the upright ones.

This is what I'm finding hard to understand in your questions Lutuyen. Tuning a grand is the same process as tuning an upright so if you can do one you can do the other, there is essentially nothing new to learn.

When you tuned your upright(s) did you do that aurally or with some sort of tuning app? The recommendation above for Pianometer above seems good by the way, I've just started using it and find it both easy to use and producing a very nice tune as well.

lutuyen Offline OP
OP Offline
Gwing, Tuning is similar I think but what I need is a comprehensive tuning process video for a Grand one, if not, giving me a fundamental video to show me the very first steps how to take off the boards, keys, hammers, etc like we have to do with the upright,... since I haven't got a chance to do this sort of things with a Grand and I don't want to risk when I have no ideas how to.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Gwing, Tuning is similar I think but what I need is a comprehensive tuning process video for a Grand one, if not, giving me a fundamental video to show me the very first steps how to take off the boards, keys, hammers, etc like we have to do with the upright,... since I haven't got a chance to do this sort of things with a Grand and I don't want to risk when I have no ideas how to.

Have you seen this?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RNLHYNn75Hk

lutuyen Offline OP
OP Offline
Dogperson, yes, I have. It's fine for me to handle tuning on a Grand learning from such videos on Youtube.
What I need is more than that. Do you have a video which can help solve sticky keys, for instance, on a Grand piano, not on an upright? I know there are many causes that led to sticky keys. Just show me one of them and fix it on a video.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Dogperson, yes, I have. It's fine for me to handle tuning on a Grand learning from such videos on Youtube.
What I need is more than that. Do you have a video which can help solve sticky keys, for instance, on a Grand piano, not on an upright? I know there are many causes that led to sticky keys. Just show me one of them and fix it on a video.

To do that you need an understanding of how the keys and action work. Videos aren't always the best answer and my recommendation is to read 'Haynes Piano Manual' and for more information then 'Piano Servicing, Tuning and Rebuilding' by Reblitz. Both of these are available on Amazon.

The subject is too large and there are too many possible causes for a single video to cover this which is why you need the more comprehensive information available in the books above. If someone had published a complete Piano Maintenance course in video form that would be an alternative but there is no such online course available. So you either need to reed that material which is available, or seek apprenticeship/training from an experienced repairer, or just go ahead without the knowledge and learn from experience as you go - if you can afford to get someone else to repair any mistakes you make and can't fix.

lutuyen Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks gwing!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission