2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2964868 04/09/20 12:53 AM
W
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
Have you noticed that there has been a change to the frequency that the regulars have been posting? Is it me being sensitive or are some regulars gone or just aren’t posting as much? Is this the normal ebb and flow of the forum or a consequence of Covid-19? I hope everyone’s ok.

Kawai K500
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I am one of those who post less regularly. I am fine, and so are my family and friends. I am just not as single-mindedly focused on the piano any more - other things to think about and discuss. Yes, covid.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm fine, but over the Bay, one o' my family had it. Got over fortunately.
I'm too busy playing the piano; it's an instant cure for nasal congestion but only whilst I do it. . . .I wish I could get over that!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've noticed it too. I haven't seen Tyrone posting lately, so that explains half of the missing posts. wink

As for me, I got somewhat annoyed by the defeatist attitudes displayed in some Corona-related threads and just disengaged from posting on PW alltogether, but in recent days I have been posting a bit here and there.

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
C
C
More kids at home time now so not allowed to use the piano so much :-(

Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
I'm still here grin I guess folk get a little numbed by each day's the negative news. Yesterday 930 people died of the virus in the UK and its still rising. Having a variety of things to do can take our minds off the horror. I'm practicing my alto sax and starting to digitise my old negatives. However my goto is still playing my piano everyday and of course popping in here.
Stay Safe,
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Musical pursuits are a luxury for most amateurs. In a crisis, luxury items are the first to go. I know my practice has been unfocussed and haphazard. My lessons have been disrupted, and future plans have had to be changed or cancelled.

But the Piano World recitals will continue as scheduled. The Beethoven themed recital is open for submissions now and will go live on the 15th. The next quarterly recital will open for submissions on May 1st and go live May 15th.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
Have you noticed that there has been a change to the frequency that the regulars have been posting?

perhaps it was something I said smirk

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
I haven't seen Tyrone posting lately, so that explains half of the missing posts. wink

wink

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
For a retired person of solitary temperament at the best of times, being confined to home except for essentials has turned out rather well. Everything is slower and quieter, the air is noticeably fresher, no tedious duties to perform, no forced contact with tiresome people, no pressure to go out or attend functions. I've been training hard, working in the section and giving the piano heaps. Fortunately I had it tuned just before lockdown.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
G
G
My adult son, authist with mental issues, has temporarily moved back home. I have worked from my home office for 17 years by now so things OUGHT to be perfectly normal here but - sigh - it is very stressing. My son had a major breakdown this night, keeping us all awake with his wild tantrum. He is a very big person. We are happy that we are all safe and alive right now. But life is tricky right now. I get so little time to work, to rest, to sleep, instead I seem to be a therapist for my own son in duty 24/7 and obvisouly I am also expected to produce nice and nutricious meals on the table for the whole family twice a day. Where do I squeeze in piano playing in all this? I was supposed to get online lessons with my piano teacher but I have turned that option down. I have not had the time to set up any equipment for that, and with my son lurking in the background, demanding attention whenever he likes, it is far too stressful.

Who said this corona time meant LESS stress and less things to do???

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by ghosthand
My adult son, authist with mental issues, has temporarily moved back home. I have worked from my home office for 17 years by now so things OUGHT to be perfectly normal here but - sigh - it is very stressing. My son had a major breakdown this night, keeping us all awake with his wild tantrum. He is a very big person. We are happy that we are all safe and alive right now. But life is tricky right now. I get so little time to work, to rest, to sleep, instead I seem to be a therapist for my own son in duty 24/7 and obvisouly I am also expected to produce nice and nutricious meals on the table for the whole family twice a day.

I admire your dedication and wish you all the best!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Everyone is practicing for Beethoven and May recitals.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Change in routine.
In my former life, screen interaction was a break from all the face to face contact of work.
Now I have headache from all the video conferences and looking at a screen is much less attractive.

Learner
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I'm still around. It's been a lot quieter on here for a few weeks now, but I do try and check in. Hope you guys are all well!

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
The un-serious answer to "where is everybody?" is that no one has posted in the last week or so and asked if they should get a teacher. laugh

I think a number of people are just worn down by having the 'coronapocalypse' constantly hovering over them. It's mind-numbing--along with being an all-around disaster--and coming up with something interesting/informative to say takes more energy than usual.

I think I'm a little past peak distraction at this point and hope to get back to some kind of normal. That said, my lessons have been stopped for now and I'm not sure when or if they will restart anytime soon. On-line lessons have zero appeal to me. Without the carrot/stick of a weekly lesson to prepare for, I've been spending more time with Mr. Stubbie out hiking, which is good for both of us.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
Everyone is practicing for Beethoven and May recitals.

That is me, though my second submission for Beethoven recital is in, I'm not happy with it, so I'm continuing to push myself. My intended submission for the May recital is also proving to be recalcitrant and is taking a lot more work to get ready than I would have thought. Plenty of practising happening here. It is not quite as focussed as it should be, which probably explains the time needed to make improvements.

I
Ido Offline
I
Well I can only speak for myself.

I've been viewing the forum as a means to share the journey of learning piano, because I don't really have anyone to share it with offline. The ABF forum is kinda special because most of its members are really taking the piano seriously - even if it's just a hobby. It's a big part of their life. Many talented and smart people here as well. I'm really thankful to many people here who helped me throughout the process.

However, I've refrained from posting for a long time, even if I had something to contribute. I even found myself writing a complete post, and then not posting it. That happened for several reasons, non of which is related to the virus:

1. I feel like the communication is broken. Someone is asking a question, you put precious time into answering, and then this person is gone, no reply, no nothing. In other cases, you reply in a thread, sometimes in a lengthy manner, which, again, took precious time, and it's completely ignored. The thread goes on as if you haven't written anything. I know I'm not the only one feeling this way.

2. Cultural differences - I always feel like people might be offended by my posts, even if I didn't mean anything. People speak in a very direct manner where I come from. I also find it hard to make connections with members outside this forum, maybe due to that reason.

Still, I like this forum, perhaps more as a reader, and as a listener in the recitals.

Last edited by Ido; 04/09/20 10:18 AM.

Started playing piano in early 2017. My YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNyp3JmDfITneq2uSgyb-5Q/videos
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I've not been playing since the beginning of December because my vein problem (caused by a bicycle accident) has resurfaced (probably literally frown ). Not sure if and when I'll get back to it, so I find looking at PW rather depressing. However, I've started logging in again and, well, things might improve. Hope you are all well.

regards
Pete
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ghosthand
My adult son, authist with mental issues, has temporarily moved back home. I have worked from my home office for 17 years by now so things OUGHT to be perfectly normal here but - sigh - it is very stressing. My son had a major breakdown this night, keeping us all awake with his wild tantrum. He is a very big person. We are happy that we are all safe and alive right now. But life is tricky right now. I get so little time to work, to rest, to sleep, instead I seem to be a therapist for my own son in duty 24/7 and obvisouly I am also expected to produce nice and nutricious meals on the table for the whole family twice a day. Where do I squeeze in piano playing in all this? I was supposed to get online lessons with my piano teacher but I have turned that option down. I have not had the time to set up any equipment for that, and with my son lurking in the background, demanding attention whenever he likes, it is far too stressful.

Who said this corona time meant LESS stress and less things to do???

Christina,
My wife and I are in self isolation just now because of our age and both our medical conditions. This helps me sympathise with your situation and I do hope you continue to give us updates in this thread. My mind jumps to the movie Groundhog Day and I just hope that we can all get out of this intact both physically and mentally. I have just had the worst saxophone lesson ever as it was done over video link. My stress level has only just subsided due to the glass of gin in my hand (not a joke). So why have I just jumped to reading posts on here? Well I get comfort from a great community with a common interest and of course to try to help wherever I can. Later tonight I will sit down at my piano and mull over today's events including the words that you wrote. Hope to hear from you here soon.
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission