2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
44 members (dbudde, chen, David B, computerpro3, Chewbacca, AZNpiano, 14 invisible), 466 guests, and 436 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Roland FP-8 Resurrection
#2964767 04/08/20 04:29 PM
S
OP Offline
S
My parent's church gave me their dying Roland FP-8 instead of tossing it in the garbage (score!).

I'm somewhat handy and know my way around a multimeter and circuit board...for the most part anyway - I'm always learning though!

When they gave me this keyboard (which I think is circa 1991?), it would turn on, operate for a while (variable amount of time), and then shut down - lights, sound, everything would just turn off.

Now it won't even give power to any of the lights when I switch it on. I have tested the switch and it seems to be operating correctly (tested the continuity for both positions).

I have found a replacement power supply online (keyboard kuntry) but I wanted to check with y'all before I pour money & effort into this instrument.

Do I have a power supply issue? Any suggestions?

[insert signature here]
Re: Roland FP-8 Resurrection
ScubaCamper #2964770 04/08/20 04:41 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Without seeing it, first guess is power supply failed, maybe the caps. Sometimes you can see they leaked or swelled. Sometimes you can tell only by testing. Make sure to unplug from mains and discharge the caps as they can zing.

Possible fuse blew. But just replacing that doesn't get to the cause of the problem.

You can find a service manual online. There is a hardcopy for sale on reverb.com for $10.

newer player #2964771 04/08/20 04:46 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by newer player
Without seeing it, first guess is power supply failed, maybe the caps. Sometimes you can see they leaked or swelled. Sometimes you can tell only by testing. Make sure to unplug from mains and discharge the caps as they can zing.

Possible fuse blew. But just replacing that doesn't get to the cause of the problem.

You can find a service manual online. There is a hardcopy for sale on reverb.com for $10.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Cylinder caps all LOOK normal (will test) - I did blow a fuse checking the outputs from the transformer (shorted a circuit with my leads - oops!) - new fuse, still no dice.

Manual - that's kind of funny - the FP-8 manual has been very difficult to locate; I'll give reverb a try though!

[insert signature here]
ScubaCamper #2964778 04/08/20 05:13 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ScubaCamper
I did blow a fuse checking the outputs from the transformer (shorted a circuit with my leads - oops!)
Glad you are ok. Be triple extra careful with mains power as that easily kills. There are some good safety videos online to review.

Hopefully the fuse mitigated any issues.

Old caps can fail over time without leaking or swelling. Most reliable testing is out of circuit. But before removing them do some more troubleshooting with the manual. You can start with the tips below.

Disconnect mains.

You can visually look at all the boards and components with a loop and bright light. Look for any burn marks, deformed bits, corrosion (typically white or green), or anything that looks out of place.

Check all connectors are seated properly.

ScubaCamper #2965073 04/09/20 02:33 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
There is an online digital piano salvage yard whose name I forget. A google search, such as “used roland digital piano parts” should locate it easily.

The site has both salvaged parts and out of production new parts. They seem to specialize in Roland.

Before throwing money down this hole, open the piano up and inspect the counter weights just under the keys. These pianos were notorious for breaking the counter weights due to a seemingly poor design. On many of these older Rolands neither used or new replacement parts can be found anywhere on this planet.

The name of the salvage company might be “Centaur” or similar.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX Lite
Pianist since April, 2015
Ralphiano #2965098 04/09/20 03:04 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Looks like it's www.Syntaur.com

No dice on the power supply.

They keys are all in good shape - seriously, this thing was babied by old ladies smile lol

[insert signature here]
newer player #2966784 04/14/20 09:25 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Power supply replaced - still no power to the LED display. I do hear a slight little 'pop' in the speakers, which seems to indicate the speakers/amp are getting power but perhaps the portion that processes the sounds is at fault....(?)

[insert signature here]
ScubaCamper #2966786 04/14/20 09:31 AM
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Is this a external power supply ?

Maybe there is some DC-DC converters at fault. You're best bet is to check all the electrolytic capacitors.

Last edited by Serge88; 04/14/20 09:34 AM.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

Serge88 #2966807 04/14/20 10:53 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Serge88
Is this a external power supply ?

Maybe there is some DC-DC converters at fault. You're best bet is to check all the electrolytic capacitors.
Sorry for the confusion - not power "supply" - power board, technically.

[insert signature here]
ScubaCamper #2969119 04/20/20 08:38 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Update:
I took out the main board to test the capacitors and found several showing approximately double the capacitance stated on the can.

I would post a picture but this site won’t let me without posting it somewhere else smirk

[insert signature here]
ScubaCamper #2969135 04/20/20 09:09 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It's not unusual for electrolytic capacitors to show capacity higher than rated. That's because the specs are (sometimes) +80% / -20%. Given the way they're used a bit more is better (usually).

It might be wise to also check three other things:

1. The capacitor maker / brand. Go online to find out which brands are good and which are crap. Easy to do.
If yours are crap branded, replace them.
I can't remember the good names and bad names, nor the good logos and bad logos. So you'll have to check for yourself.
But the goog is always there to help.

2. Is there any expansion on the top or bottom of the can? If so ... defective. If not ...

3. Can you check the leakage? That's electrical leakage, not liquid leakage.
Electrolytics always leak a little. But too much leakage is a call for replacement.
Unfortunately you need equipment for this. Does your capacitor checker have a leak test option?

ScubaCamper #2972718 04/28/20 04:17 PM
S
OP Offline
S
1. the caps I got (From Mouser.com) were all Nichicon. I've installed most of them on the main board (not all though - ordered the wrong ones and now have to wait for the rest to come).
2. No visible signs of cap failure (no bulging, expansion, etc) - no burn marks, but it does appear the caps have been replaced at some point.
3. Checking power leakage: I have a Fluke 110 and a Fluke 324 but sadly, no other test equipment. smirk

As I observe the issues this keyboard is having, I can't help but be frustrated with my lack of knowledge of how it works. Can someone give me a brief process "map" of how this digital keyboard works?
Here is what I know so far (of course, correct me where I'm mistaken): It gets AC power and the power board transforms it into DC, sending it to the other PCB's.

Where I get fuzzy is which board does what, and in what order.

I'm guessing the Main Board is what processes the signals from the synth and keys and sends it to the "amp" board to provide the speakers & line out with usable signals.

When I turn on the keyboard, the 4-digit LED display tries to begin it's bootup sequence ("FP-8") but only gets to the point of flashing the letter "F" before failing. If I lean down toward one of the speakers, I can hear a slight hum. This tells me the "amp" board is getting SOMEthing, and therefore the issue must be earlier in the "assembly" line.

The board with the LCD display must not be getting adequate power as it does not light up. Is this a problem with that board, or another board?

[insert signature here]
ScubaCamper #2973699 05/01/20 01:22 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I decided to run some in-circuit tests on the resistors and capacitors on the original power board. A few caps failed to measure within their stated thresholds (one even measure WAY out of spec (rated for 10uF, measured 3k+ uF)). There were 6 resistors which failed to measure within their stated thresholds: 2 failed up (above threshold), 4 failed down (below threshold)

Several articles I've come across online seem to indicate failing down is not big deal for resistors but failing up is (?).

None of the above mentioned components have any visual damage (burns, swells, cracks, etc...).

[insert signature here]
ScubaCamper #2978213 05/12/20 10:53 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I have replaced all caps on the main board.

I have replaced the AC Power Switch.

At this point, the unit will not power on but when power is supplied, an offensive smell (similar to what I imagine the red light district late at night, or a previously occupied hourly-rate motel room might smell like) emanates from the jack board.

I have read online that funny smells from electronics typically indicate aging glue/adhesives and/or wire casings heating up and/or breaking down.

My guess is the next step is to closely evaluate the jack board for defects; anyone agree?

Could the jack board be preventing the keyboard from powering up?

[insert signature here]
ScubaCamper #2978312 05/12/20 03:51 PM
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Are you measuring the resistors and capacitors in circuit ? Because you are also measuring all the other components that are connected to the resistors so the value you read mean nothing, you don't have the schematics. Usually resistors keep their value forever, they are never defective excerpt for low value resistors that can get hot and burn.

The first thing is to make sure the power supply provide voltage and the reading you measure is right.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

Serge88 #2978741 05/13/20 05:25 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Serge88
Are you measuring the resistors and capacitors in circuit ? Because you are also measuring all the other components that are connected to the resistors so the value you read mean nothing, you don't have the schematics. Usually resistors keep their value forever, they are never defective excerpt for low value resistors that can get hot and burn.

The first thing is to make sure the power supply provide voltage and the reading you measure is right.
Thanks for the direction and tips!
Can you walk me through the proper procedure in checking output voltages for the transformer? It looks like there might be 3 sets of terminals on the output side: The first set with 3 leads (all have continuity with each other), the 2nd set having 2 leads, and a 3rd set with 2 leads.

On the first set, would the center lead be the "center post"?

[insert signature here]
ScubaCamper #2979950 05/16/20 02:28 PM
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I re-read the thread and power supply has been change so this is not the problem But you said it smell like something is burning. That’s a problem, use your nose and find it . It could be a defective component.

- Robert Schumann

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Emotional Response - Don't Have One?
by IntermedPianist - 05/27/20 07:30 PM
Duane Shinn Praise and Gospel Course
by David B - 05/27/20 06:20 PM
Beginner advice
by SwfcDan - 05/27/20 06:01 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,221
Posts2,962,937
Members97,209
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission