2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
62 members (Beowulf, CoogerTown, 20/20 Vision, ChrisGoesPiano, 1957, AlphaBravoCharlie, 18 invisible), 487 guests, and 408 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Video Conferencing Shootout
#2964738 04/08/20 02:50 PM
Chrispy Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Some friends of a co-worker who are A/V experts do a very thorough comparison of many different video conferencing systems. Though it's voice only, it shows comparisons of video feed, audio feed and features. Zoom actually fares quite well. Anyway, thought you'd find it helpful as we try out different things to keep up our lessons.

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth) and C minor Prelude (big chords), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Video Conferencing Shootout
Chrispy #2964750 04/08/20 03:30 PM
M
M
My day gig for many years as a SysAdmin and involved in computer security before I retired. I still monitor geek news and Zoom has had a lot of privacy issues exposed in last couple weeks. Something to factor into your choice.

For those into the geeky side of computers and security you can watch this for more info.

Chrispy #2964765 04/08/20 04:17 PM
Chrispy Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Security is generally not a problem for piano lessons. There aren't "hacker can take control of your computer" issues, they are possible privacy issues due to their hand rolled encryption system (never a good idea.) However, if someone intercepts my piano lesson and spends the time to decrypt, well, sorry for them they have to listen to me laugh

The privacy issues are a much bigger deal for things like patient/practitioner, business meetings, etc and I wouldn't recommend Zoom for those for sure. Piano lessons, no worries.

Last edited by Chrispy; 04/08/20 04:19 PM.

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth) and C minor Prelude (big chords), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545
Chrispy #2964776 04/08/20 05:10 PM
Chrispy Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Also, the company is actively and publicly working on solutions, which is refreshing. They probably had no idea a month ago they would suddenly be the talk of the town and have their users increase an order of magnitude smile

https://blog.zoom.us/wordpress/2020...er-key-privacy-and-security-initiatives/

Chrispy #2964846 04/08/20 09:48 PM
M
M
Yes for one on one lesson this isn't a big deal and I believe it's said in this or the previous video. But a lot of people are using Zoom to stream out to the big groups of people and conference calls that where it's risky.

A few weeks ago black hat hackers really started abusing the virus for phishing scams, ransomware, and stealing identities so really have to monitor the emails and website downloads and apply a huge amount of common sense to them. There are some white hat hacker and security groups fighting the hacker attacks so at least an attempt is being made to deal with this.

Just try to make people realize have to use a lot of common sense when online, if something seems too good to be true it probably is.

Chrispy #2964918 04/09/20 07:15 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
For me the security issues are important. Work is now using zoom and I've installed the app on my iPad and I've connected to meetings without yet creating an account.

If I create an account for piano lessons, I will have to be careful not to let that account be used for anything else other than piano lessons. Many of Zoom's "security flaws" are intentional, it is providing a service to businesses for video conferencing and it wants features that makes it attractive to large corporations. Some of the "security flaw" is designed for allowing Zoom to be used for spying on employees, it wasn't by accident, the way it is installed on a mac is designed to bypass much of macOS security to add the ability to spy on the user, this is no trivial thing, many many months of work would have been required to do this. For the functionality that Zoom is providing to the user this is completely unnecessary. Of course once that back door is open for access to macOS it can be exploited by others to gain access to your mac. I have little faith Zoom will fix security issues in a way that removes functionality that is attractive to large corporate buyers. It will just attempt to hide the back door better.

Installing on an iOS device is much safer. Unless your device is jail broken getting around Apple's security on an iOS device is much harder than for macOS. Apple has had long experience of dealing with apps like facebook doing a large variety of dodging things to track information about users and has closed various loopholes.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai CA58 display
by ChrisGoesPiano - 05/28/20 04:58 AM
Do you teach sight reading?
by Ubu - 05/28/20 04:37 AM
Tool Backpack
by TimM_980 - 05/28/20 12:47 AM
Looking for a piano
by ThePenist - 05/28/20 12:25 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,226
Posts2,963,043
Members97,209
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission