2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
63 members (accordeur, ChatNoir, Automata, Abdol, Boylan, Animisha, Anglagard44, 14 invisible), 350 guests, and 243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
NU1X: one month in
#2964252 04/06/20 07:58 PM
F
fraaly Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I posted my "first impressions in the shop" a while ago - here:
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2922967/my-journey-to-a-new-yamaha-nu1x.html

Happy to say that I took delivery (just before the apocalypse - woohoo!) and have been happily playing it for almost a month. Here's my 1 month review (disclaimer - I'm not very good at piano. I can kind-of hack my way through Debussy's Arabesques (especially the first one), if that provides some reference).

First impressions at home: Still love it.

- The amp/speaker system is phenomenal. It's clearly tuned to provide a well-balanced range of a piano. There's not much sub-bass when playing music through the bluetooth system, but what's there is perfect to support the lower register of a piano. And this thing can get louuuuddddd when streaming music (no distortion). It's not wanting for watts. It never gets muddy (unlike my old studio monitors). Brightness is perfect for my medium size, carpeted room.

- The action is light-years ahead of my old piano, a 15 year old Roland RD-170. I read the other thread on the front page about the NU1X action. http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2769459/yamaha-nu1x-action.html#Post2769459 - short connecty-stick or not, it's still a huge step up from a simulated action (at least the ones I've played - including the new Roland LX708 and Yamaha CLP685). Sure the repetition rate isn't going to win any awards, but the realism imparted is quite amazing. I've only had one friend come and play it (pre-lockdown) and he thought I was trying to fool him by saying it was a digital piano - he honestly required a couple of minutes of convincing. My NU1X came with firmware v2.1 (the loud note fix) and I am happy to report no loud notes, even when trying to produce one. The single sensor deficiency is totally a non-issue for me - at least with v2.1. I also haven't noticed any notes with consistently louder volume than others, thankfully. The red laser light coming from between the keys when the room lights are off definitely increases the coolness factor.

- The VRM (resonance modelling thing) is a great addition. I barely need any reverb - as it should be!

- Piano sounds: It's all about the CFX. It's a real living and breathing instrument - maybe that's the VRM working its magic. Every part of the rangs sounds amazing at all velocities, providing the volume is set to ~75% (which approximates the volume of a real upright). The Boesendorfer is OK, but not stellar. It's a nice tonal contrast, definitely mellower than the CFX, which is useful sometimes. The other three pianos: just novelty value. I had hoped the upright (voice 5) would be useful but it's a little underwhelming.

- The interface: Terrible and perfect at the same time. Terrible: if you need to change anything other than voice/reverb. Perfect: because they pretty-much nailed every setting out of the box, so you'll never need to touch it anyway! I almost bought the wifi adapter but baulked at the cost and bought the cables for my android phone instead. I'm very happy with this decision - the smart pianist app barely allows any tinkering with the NU1X anyway.

- The worst bits: a) Couldn't they have just screwed on the music deck from the CLP685?! This thing is short and ineffective for some books (I busted out the clothes pegs on the first day of ownership). b) The celesta has a good attack but very short sustain, which is a shame. The harpsichords sound good but I'll never use them. c) One day I'll figure out how to correctly clean the finish of a polished ebony piano but that day is not today! d) The red felt key cover could have just the yamaha logo with no other text, but do you know what it says? "Cover: made in Japan" hahaha. Don't be ashamed of the Indonesia factory, Yamaha! e) I really really really wanna see those hammers doing their magic. Would a hinged lid be too hard Yamaha? I'm sure you have the parts! f) The half-bluetooth implementation boggles the mind (audio streaming, but not midi over bluetooth).

You can probably tell that I love it and would totally 7 out of 5 buy it again. In fact, purchasing this in Dec 2019 was a much wiser financial decision than investing in the stock market!

Re: NU1X: one month in
fraaly #2964255 04/06/20 08:05 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Where do you keep this piano?
Originally Posted by fraaly
The action is light-years ahead of my old piano, a 15 year old Roland RD-170.
You must have VERY long arms. smile

But seriously folks ... it's nice to know that your timing worked out well. Enjoy.

fraaly #2964263 04/06/20 08:54 PM
F
fraaly Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thanks Mac - and thanks for your contributions to other NU1X/avantgrand threads.
By the way, "enjoy" is a great way of summing up my NU1X experience. No messing with settings - just sit and enjoy!

Last edited by fraaly; 04/06/20 08:55 PM.
fraaly #2964283 04/07/20 12:43 AM
Online Content
Bluetooth latency might be a reason why MIDI is sent only through USB. It would be fine for recording, but if you want to use your piano as MIDI controller, every ms of latency matters.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Roland FP-4 speaker problem
by JLouie - 05/29/20 11:50 AM
Lighting for Korg D1 keys?
by Doug Brock - 05/29/20 10:41 AM
The 21 levels of taking a bow
by pianoloverus - 05/29/20 09:59 AM
New OS for Roland Fantom
by slipperykeys - 05/29/20 09:59 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,261
Posts2,963,572
Members97,227
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission