2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
49 members (chopinetto, Boboulus, Carey, anotherscott, Charles Cohen, cozmopak, AWilley, Bruce In Philly, 14 invisible), 431 guests, and 484 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Kawai EGP 10 hybrid piano
#2964151 04/06/20 11:38 AM
K
OP Offline
K
Hi there!

While I was searching for a used electric piano I came across Yamaha Clavinova CLP-470 (1000€) and KAWAI EGP 10 hybrid piano (1700€). I've read a lot of good things about the CLP-470 but there is only a few information about EGP 10. Did someone by any chance played or heard the Kawai EGP 10? I've read that the model was launched in 1994 even though the seller said he bought it brand new in year 2004/2005 for 7500€. What do you think it is better choice? If I am thinking out loud I guess the materials of EGP 10 are much more superior and also the hybrid mechanism must give very realistic feeling like playing the grand piano. But I suppose when it comes to sound, CLP-470 gives better performance since the model was launched in 2012.

What are your oppinion?

Kind regards,
Klemen

(ad)
Sweetwater Sale
Sweetwater Sale
Re: Kawai EGP 10 hybrid piano
Klemens89 #2964162 04/06/20 12:07 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Judge the sound by the sound, not by the year. And judge a piano by trying it for yourself.

As for the EGP10 ... I've never heard of that one. Pianos often have a plate or sticker with the make, model, serial, and date of manufacture. Do you know when this one was made?

I found this one for sale in Germany: https://reverb.com/item/18587113-kawai-egp-10-baby-grand-black-incl-case

Klemens89 #2964164 04/06/20 12:13 PM
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Some info on this site: http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/1993077/kawai-egp-10-hybrid-model.html

Kawai UK has some official info: https://www.kawai.co.uk/products/archive/egp10/

Kawai Germany too, if you prefer it in Deutsch for some reason: https://www.kawai.de/products/archive/egp10/

Klemens89 #2964203 04/06/20 03:13 PM
M
M
If it is in good working order the hybrid could be awesome couple with a good VST - seems to be a real action which is pretty awesome.

Klemens89 #2964219 04/06/20 04:24 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The EGP-10 is from 2003. Probably it's the first hybrid DP Kawai produced in its history. It has the very first iteration of the Harmonic Imaging piano engine which uses a very old piano sound library.

It's playable, it has good dynamics and it sounds decently in the upper register and the lowest, but IMHO its timbre sounds very fake in the middle of the keyboard, where usually you play more. I know it, because on my CN37 I can select that old piano sound too (it's called Standard Grand), so I know all its defects. And probably, that same old piano library sounds better on my CN37 because I can add some resonance effects that in 2003 were not available.

Personally I would be against buying such an old relic from the past. If you are really sure it's in very good conditions (well, after 17 years I have some doubts) you could use it as a MIDI controller, considering that the action should be the same of a real grand. But I think 1700€ is too much.

Klemens89 #2964245 04/06/20 06:32 PM
P
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
P
Why didn’t they use this cabinet for the NV10? It looks quite nice.

Klemens89 #2964251 04/06/20 06:50 PM
It does look nice. It's probably more expensive, though.

magicpiano #2964397 04/07/20 11:10 AM
K
OP Offline
K
Thank you for your answer!
I am not much into the digital pianos so now I am wondering if there is an option to load a new piano sound samples on it? You mentioned MIDI controler... I guess this is a software you upload it on piano so you can get better sound? User Morten Olsson mentioned VST. Is VST something like MIDI controler? I am sorry but I am a total newbie when it comes to topic.

The piano I was looking for can be found here: https://www.bolha.com/klaviature/elektricni-hibridni-klavir-kawai-egp-10-oglas-3180372

It seems like piano is in a good shape and was played for 6 years.

Kind regards,
Klemen

Klemens89 #2964406 04/07/20 11:54 AM
M
M
MIDI is a “language” used for communicating between digital musical instruments. This would enable you to transmit information about which keys are hit and how hard from the piano to another sound generator - this could be a pc running a software piano.
If you just want to play forget about midi, vsts etc and get an instrument with onboard sound that you like.
I have no idea how the hybrid Kawai you linked to sounds - but the action is probably better than most other digitals you are likely to play.
Must it be a digital by the way ? Used acoustics can be had cheap and if you pick the right one then in my - admittedly limited - experience they are more interesting instruments.

Klemens89 #2964410 04/07/20 12:15 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
@Klemens89:
A VST is a software plugin that generates sounds. It needs a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) software (examples of DAWs: Reaper, Ableton, Cubase, etc.).

You cannot load samples on that piano. But you can connect it to a PC (via MIDI connection) so that the piano will transmit data of the keys (and pedals) you press. Then the PC receives these data and will generate a piano sound (by using the above VST). Considering that Digital Piano has a LINE-IN, you could re-route the audio output of the PC to the input of the DP, so that you will hear the piano sounds (generated by the PC) directly from the internal speakers of the DP. Or you can just use some headphones (or external speakers) connected to the PC.

In other words, to hear a decent piano sound from that old digital piano, you'll need a good PC + a DAW + a good piano VST. In this case, whenever you want to play the piano you'll need to do the following:

1) Turn on the Digital Piano.
2) Turn on the PC.
3) Load a DAW software.
4) Load a piano VST.
5) Play.

Many good piano libraries comes with a software that makes the library work in a standalone mode too (no need to have a DAW), so the above points (3) and (4) can become just one. You'll need the DAW if you want to record your playing and mix it with other audio sources, or if you want to add effects.

Klemens89 #2964430 04/07/20 01:13 PM
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
The PC+VST can also be replaced by a more or less expensive box of elecronics i.e. a "piano module".

I think currently there are two reasonably good options: the "V3 Sound Grand Piano XXL" and "Dexibell VIVO SX-7".

But of course you haven't yet even heard the Kawai and decided to hate the sound.

The timbre is one thing, the realism is another one. Different people have different expectations for digital pianos.

And liking the sound is one thing and learning being affected by the sound is another one. It could be a problem for learning e.g. if
- There are no resonances of any kind and you learn to be too careless with the sustain pedal because of that.
- The sustain is unnaturally short and you learn to be too careless with the sustain pedal because of that.

Then your playing will sound muddy on an acoustic piano.

But of course all this depends on your current skill level, expectations and goals.

Is there actually a typo here? 😁

[Linked Image]

"Piano humerique"

It's "piano numérique" in French and "humerique" probably means nothing.

Klemens89 #2964437 04/07/20 01:57 PM
That a funny typo, eh?

Klemens89 #2964443 04/07/20 02:17 PM
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Klemens89
Thank you for your answer!
I am not much into the digital pianos so now I am wondering if there is an option to load a new piano sound samples on it? You mentioned MIDI controler... I guess this is a software you upload it on piano so you can get better sound? User Morten Olsson mentioned VST. Is VST something like MIDI controler? I am sorry but I am a total newbie when it comes to topic.

The piano I was looking for can be found here: https://www.bolha.com/klaviature/elektricni-hibridni-klavir-kawai-egp-10-oglas-3180372

It seems like piano is in a good shape and was played for 6 years.

Kind regards,
Klemen

None of the pro or top model stage pianos and DPs load samples. Can you load samples on top of the line Yamaha/Kawai etc Digital Pianos or Stage Pianos? If not, it's very unlikely.

Only Nord does it (which you pay the premium for it but Nord is not even good at everything).

Sampler keyboards (CP-88 for example) are not truly Stage Pianos. They are synthesizers! Just like S90XS which was advertised as a synth and not as a Stage Piano. Stage Piano should have a specific purpose. It must have top-notch/detailed voices required on the stage, like Pianos, E-Pianos, Organs, Rhodes, and so on.

Get a synthesizer instead. With the money you're spending you can buy a MODX8.

Last edited by Abdol; 04/07/20 02:18 PM.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
MacMacMac #2964444 04/07/20 02:26 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
The PC+VST can also be replaced by a more or less expensive box of elecronics i.e. a "piano module".

I think currently there are two reasonably good options: the "V3 Sound Grand Piano XXL" and "Dexibell VIVO SX-7".
Yes, that's another possibility, and it's easier to setup compared to the PC+VST route. Of course good VSTs sound better than those modules.

But of course you haven't yet even heard the Kawai and decided to hate the sound.

The timbre is one thing, the realism is another one. Different people have different expectations for digital pianos.

And liking the sound is one thing and learning being affected by the sound is another one. It could be a problem for learning e.g. if
- There are no resonances of any kind and you learn to be too careless with the sustain pedal because of that.
- The sustain is unnaturally short and you learn to be too careless with the sustain pedal because of that.

Then your playing will sound muddy on an acoustic piano.

But of course all this depends on your current skill level, expectations and goals.
You are right, and the sound from that DP is not high-quality but it's very responsive and it has good dynamics. The length of the sustain is good enough. Of course, the sound timbre is clearly that of an old piano synth (i.e. you feel the lack of velocity layers), but if you just want to learn to play piano, without expecting a realistic sound, then it's usable.

Is there actually a typo here? 😁

[Linked Image]

"Piano humerique"

It's "piano numérique" in French and "humerique" probably means nothing.

Originally Posted by MacMacMac
That a funny typo, eh?
I would say it's an "humoristique" typo laugh .

Klemens89 #2964735 04/08/20 01:47 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Thank you guys for all the answers. I guess I will wait for the government to loose the measures so I can get out od the house and try both pianos live.
Yes, only digital piano is an option so I want to get the best out of it. I had a PETROF BREEZE P173 grand but I had to sell it because of changing the apartment. Sucks, I know. I guess the touch will say it all. I was also very disappointed about the new electric pianos (Clavinova 6 series) and they sound very ''plastic'', so good older models are the only choice I suppose.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP under 3000 euros
by Pullman12 - 11/24/20 03:21 PM
Recording device - Recommendations
by Kinimod - 11/24/20 02:52 PM
Your opinions on my digital mixer setup
by Abdol - 11/24/20 02:37 PM
Thumb under for bluesy tunes
by AntonAnton - 11/24/20 12:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,023
Posts3,026,772
Members99,361
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission