2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
67 members (alexii, apassionata, AZNpiano, AWilley, AlphaTerminus, 19 invisible), 515 guests, and 407 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Guilty Pleasures - Goofy Settings... Yours?
#2963599 04/04/20 11:11 AM
OP Offline
So... as an audiophile, I want perfect sound. High Fidelity (aka high truth).... I want exactly what is in these samples or hardware to come to my ears completely perfect. I want to know the truth of what's in there. So..... for piano sounds, I want the best piano sound on the planet reproduced perfectly. Ok, that out of the way......... umm.... not all the time.

What is your goofiest settings you use to play? I am not talking about dicking around.... but really enjoying playing with off-the-wall settings.

For me: I mix three sounds together and can play all night on them:

1 - VI Labs Ravenscroft 275, mixed with
2 - Roland RD-2000 phased Rhodes (I tweaked it to take out any amp distortion and made it a little less bass-heavy), mixed with
3 - A Roland RD-2000 soft PAD (strings) with a slow uptake and long tail (dominant in the higher registers, almost un-hearable in the lows).....

Does this sound like a great piano? Heck NO! But I love it. The Rhodes has a bell-like quality with a click/bong-like attack of a hammer on metal. The PAD adds some really cool ambiance that sings in the higher registers which really accentuates crescendos there.... and the dominant sound the Ravenscroft piano. Boy I like this setup.

Yours?

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 04/04/20 11:20 AM.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Re: Guilty Pleasures - Goofy Settings... Yours?
Bruce In Philly #2970959 04/24/20 01:38 PM
OP Offline
Bump....

Odd, no bytes..

I take it that most here... all? are piano purists and don't care about the other sounds their digital pianos can make? Don't like to layer on a pad?

Hmmmm....

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Bruce In Philly #2970987 04/24/20 02:39 PM
OP Offline
OK, if you don't like layering on sounds... how about beers? I find three Pilsner Urquells and well..... I am famous!!!

Peace
Bruce in PHilly

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Bruce In Philly #2970992 04/24/20 02:43 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I've sometimes experimented with mixing various piano VSTs, never non-piano sounds. One example, Native Instruments Giant with the Upright from the Kontakt 5 Factory Library.

Another combo I've tried, is Galaxy II German Baby Grand with the Concert Grand from Kontakt 5 Orchestral library. Not bad either, the CG fills up the Bluethner Baby Grand.

I feel one can create an entirely new piano voice this way, the complementary piano can give the necessary body, where the other one is lacking.

Edit
He he, I never mix beers, but I can drink one sort after another. laugh Heineken and Carlsberg are my favorites.

Last edited by TheodorN; 04/24/20 02:50 PM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
Bruce In Philly #2971047 04/24/20 04:42 PM
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
ON ES8, I layer the piano with slow strings. I find the slow strings implementation on ES8 very good, at least compared with RD2000's and my previous Casio PX-350.

I still need some quality time with my RD2000 to try finding a combinhation that closely mimics this ES8's. The decay of the slow strings on ES8 is longer when damper is pressed than when not and I think the dynamics configuration also varies the sound according with key velocity so the effect is gorgeous.

On PX-350, I layered the strings with piano to give it more "body" as it sounded thin by itself, because of the fast decay.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
Bruce In Philly #2971055 04/24/20 04:59 PM
OP Offline
The good/bad about the RD 2000 is any given program... like 0385 Wide Soft PAD..... has around 64 effects boxes and processors with a gajillion settings.... you can mod any one of those sounds if you put the time into it. The interface on the RD 2000 is a nightmare... it really needs a PC interface with a big screen. But you can make anything sound like anything on this board. It is amazing... but boy the effort required.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Bruce In Philly #2971195 04/25/20 02:07 AM
I like the 'Random' button in Pianoteq. Most of what you end up with isn't all that compelling, but press it enough times and you're bound to find something cool.

Novus NV10
Bruce In Philly #2971198 04/25/20 02:45 AM
U
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
U
I liked to play with the added pad option synthogy's piano's always offered, but since me and embertone's walker have a really nice relationship i have no pad option. Good reminder! Ill see if i can find a separate pad to use with it, it can be nice.

I also always liked (many) beers, along with other alcoholic drinks, but right now I'm trying to finally really fix important unfixed things in my life, which has been quite a struggle, and i find practically no alcohol works best for me to be able to do that. I haven't had (practically) any alcohol in 2 months now, and have no plans to change this new drinking behavior anytime soon. Every once in a while i make the exception of drinking just one beer, when I hang out with friends that still drink alot, and strictly never more than just one is the new "drinking" for me. This is the only way I can wake up fresh the next day to do what i want or need to do. I was never addicted to alcohol, but I did drink way too much in weekends just to feel comfortable in social situations, which is not good and I'm happy to say I don't need anymore.

Sorry for the serious note, i guess i felt the need to express it, plus you asked about beers. smile

Bruce In Philly #2971207 04/25/20 03:29 AM
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
U3piano, I loved the added pads in Synthogy 1. It’s the only time I liked how pads sounded layered with a piano without being cheesy. I’m wondering what synths they sampled for these pads. I’m after such sound. I think they were Kurzweil engineers and probably borrowed some of their sounds.

As to alcohol, I wish you keeping with the strong will. I am myself guilty of being insanely addicted to Internet and my iPhone and I spend unhealthy amounts of time reading various stuff online about anything (including PW). Sometimes I wish I had the will to overcome this addiction and spend more time outdoors with my family.

Last edited by CyberGene; 04/25/20 03:30 AM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
CyberGene #2971213 04/25/20 04:03 AM
U
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by CyberGene
U3piano, I loved the added pads in Synthogy 1. It’s the only time I liked how pads sounded layered with a piano without being cheesy. I’m wondering what synths they sampled for these pads. I’m after such sound. I think they were Kurzweil engineers and probably borrowed some of their sounds.

As to alcohol, I wish you keeping with the strong will. I am myself guilty of being insanely addicted to Internet and my iPhone and I spend unhealthy amounts of time reading various stuff online about anything (including PW). Sometimes I wish I had the will to overcome this addiction and spend more time outdoors with my family.

Yes, I liked them too! I never tried different ones tough. I also like the pads in synthogy's American D, but I haven't payed to much attention to comparing them with the ones in ivory 1, but I think they have changed a bit.

Thanks for your kind message. And (I think like many of us these days) I am also quite addicted to my smartphone, pw, and reading other stuff online like you. I think it's not the worst addiction one can have, but it's still far from good. A while ago i really realized that i was doing this, and I really worked on breaking free from this behavior. My methods were just consiously making an agreement with myself, to do anything but pick up that smartphone, leaving it in different rooms than I was in, and actually leaving it in the house when i went outside for a walk.

It's funny how people have grown so fast to thinking having your smartphone with you at every moment of the day is the standard. When i went out for a walk, i left my smartphone on the dinner table, and my girlfriend reacted quite surprised, asking me. "Your not taking your phone? But.. but.. i can't reach you then!" I told her, yes, but how is that a problem? Back in the day nobody had mobile phones, and people still lived there lives. I think she just found it kind of strange, but of course i explained i did it to break free from this addicted behavior.

Actually right now I completely fell back in this smartphone/internet addiction, and Im happy that you brought it up, because it's made me realize that it's a waste of time once again, and i need to work on that again. The time that i stopped doing this, I found it's amazing what you do in a day when you forbid yourself to pick up that smartphone or open up the laptop. When these things are not an option, you are still going to do something, but usually something way more useful/forfilling, than just wasting time on the internet, possibly like building your very own digital piano even! smile

But, as i said, i need to fix some unfixed things, and i now realize that i just grab anything i can to distract me, and as long as i don't fix these things, I will probably keep on doing that. It's just anything to keep my mind occupied so i don't have to deal with reality. Maybe there are things you are trying to keep your mind off as well?

Playing piano is the best distraction ever, and it's the first truely positive one I discovered, and feel really blessed that i discovered it.

Bruce In Philly #2971234 04/25/20 05:37 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I combined the Pianoteq Steinway with an Arpeggiator from Analog Labs 4.
Doesn't really work for Piano music but it's a lot of fun to toy around with. laugh

Piano + String pad sounds cool also but it's difficult to pull off w/o the strings making a mess of things.

On occasion I also like to use the Harp from Pianoteq or the cute little Organteq alpha.

As for Ethanol: I do not willingly ingest toxic substances. Thank you very much.

Originally Posted by U3piano
It's funny how people have grown so fast to thinking having your smartphone with you at every moment of the day is the standard. When i went out for a walk, i left my smartphone on the dinner table, and my girlfriend reacted quite surprised, asking me. "Your not taking your phone? But.. but.. i can't reach you then!" I told her, yes, but how is that a problem?
Should have told her: Not being able to be reached is the point of taking a walk, my dear.

I have a smartphone too.... all it is allowed to do is dump nice music into my ears when I am riding the bus. No mobile internet here. I am too antisocial for social media anyway, just don't care.

Last edited by Granyala; 04/25/20 05:40 AM.

The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.
VPC 1 -> Pianoteq 6 Std | Garritan CFX / Pearl Alto Flute 201
Granyala #2971236 04/25/20 06:02 AM
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Granyala
I have a smartphone too.... all it is allowed to do is dump nice music into my ears when I am riding the bus. No mobile internet here. I am too antisocial for social media anyway, just don't care.
I'm not using social networks (a lot). Checking Facebook a few times a day. Not sure why people always think about social media when speaking about smartphones. Basically it's a mobile computer and you can do everything you can do on a computer while on the move or even on the sofa: read articles on Wikipedia, participate in Forums, watch instructional/entertainment videos, read books, create music with apps. I think you're lucky to haven't recognized how many things you can do with your phone rather than listening to music and scrolling through Facebook/Twitter smile That being said, I believe I've learned almost all stuff I've learned in my life from the Internet and through my phone smile I wouldn't have been able to create my DIY project if it wasn't the Internet and the comfort of my smartphone in any possible location and time of day. The only thing that's bad, and it's not a small issue, is I spend too much time learning stuff from the Internet, while I could probably play with my daughter, talk with my wife, go outside, etc. But, as my wife herself admitted, it's better than a husband who is outside drinking with friends or flirting with women laugh

Last edited by CyberGene; 04/25/20 06:04 AM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Bruce In Philly #2971240 04/25/20 06:19 AM
N
Nip Offline
N
What sets me off more than anything is just piano and a slow swell on choirs - that is lovely. 1-2s or so resting a note and voices come in.

But this is not goofing at all - so I won't write this....

Kawai MP7SE - Hammond XK3c - Synthesizers
CyberGene #2972067 04/27/20 01:41 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I think you're lucky to haven't recognized how many things you can do with your phone rather than listening to music and scrolling through Facebook/Twitter smile
I am well aware of it but I can't stand looking at a tiny screen or trying to type via touch based interface. My eyes aren't the best and my hands are pretty shaky, so yeah. Not a great combination there. laugh

If I want to work / read I use my desktop computer.
Also I can't read when in a moving vehicle. I have to look outside or I get motion sickness.

Last edited by Granyala; 04/27/20 01:41 AM.

The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.
VPC 1 -> Pianoteq 6 Std | Garritan CFX / Pearl Alto Flute 201
Bruce In Philly #2972220 04/27/20 11:05 AM
A
A
I am an audiophile too, want a perfect sound too, and tried mixing Ravenscroft 275 with other sounds too, so far unsuccessfully (I have 3-4 dozens of pianos and almost 1500 other instruments including those of Yamaha Motif).

Ravenscroft is definitely a king in my piano collection. So far I have not found a good unison combination of Ravenscroft with anything. Padding piano with strings (and most other instruments) sounds for me unnatural: it hides most important piano harmonics.

For me, the instruments (sections) should speak to each other rather than co-sound in a padding or unison. I prefer combining the instruments dynamically, using 2-3 keyboards simultaneously and applying sustain pedals for making the instruments co-sound and for being able to engage both hands for playing one of them.

Speaking of goofy sounds, a special setting of Ravenscroft makes it a highly interesting instrument. Particularly, the Una Corda mode (combining 100% Player mic, 20% Close mic and 50% Side mic, with maxing the Release Volume, Pedal Resonance and Sustain Resonance, without any reverb) makes the physical resonances of the wood of this instrument "resonate" with our sub-conscience. Non Una-Corda mode of Ravenscrorft is less interesting in this aspect, so I almost always play Ravenscroft with left pedal depressed.

Long sustained notes in this instrument can co-sound with leggiero passages in high registers without hiding each other, so you can hear and discriminate all (ADSR) phases of separate notes in very complex asynchronous chord/passage combinations, which provides exciting audiophile experience. (I speak of the using Sustain Pedal simultaneously with Una Corda Pedal).

A similar distinction of co-sounding sustained notes is possible in Una Corda of Synthogy ACD, but I like Ravenscroft's Una Corda better.

Last edited by Andrew_G; 04/27/20 11:06 AM.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
4th Finger Pain
by alexii - 06/04/20 05:14 PM
Contemporary music forum
by toyboy - 06/04/20 04:20 PM
Gebr. Zimmermann bass string replacement
by Ny. Dominik - 06/04/20 04:20 PM
New-Sample Science-Cinematic Piano
by newer player - 06/04/20 03:36 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,401
Posts2,966,056
Members97,301
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission