2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Carey, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 8 invisible), 2,059 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2962964 04/02/20 01:50 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi all,

I have recently purchased a Casio Grand Hybrid which I have been using exclusively as a MIDi controller, in collaboration with my laptop. Pianoteq’s Bechstein Digital Grand is my go to instrument, but I also own the actual Bechstein Digital Grand. Interestingly enough I can’t get the latter to sound anywhere near as good as Pianoteq... it just sounds very thin.

Firstly, is anyone else using the Bechstein DG and if so what settings do you use, to make it sound believable?

Secondly what other great VSTs are there that would be recommended for someone who primarily wants to play and not record? I do own imperfect samples Walnut Grand, which again, just isn’t doing it for me!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I like the Galaxy Vintage D and The Grandeur. Both are Steinways.
Lots of people here like the Garritan Yamaha CFX.

Have a look at the many threads on the subject.
This online spreadsheet might help you search for threads on this sort of topic.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_ax7Q3Bn4Zmm1ZHjeD4zLxbpCX8y5cQw/view

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Seb Clement

I have recently purchased a Casio Grand Hybrid which I have been using exclusively as a MIDi controller, in collaboration with my laptop. Pianoteq’s Bechstein Digital Grand is my go to instrument, but I also own the actual Bechstein Digital Grand. Interestingly enough I can’t get the latter to sound anywhere near as good as Pianoteq... it just sounds very thin.

Are you dissatisfied with Pianoteq in any way?

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Seb Clement

Secondly what other great VSTs are there that would be recommended for someone who primarily wants to play and not record? I do own imperfect samples Walnut Grand, which again, just isn’t doing it for me!

There are only two I would recommend: Garritan CFX and VSL Concert D-274. Personally, VSL Concert D-274 has been my favorite lately.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
I recommend Embertone Walker 1955. Make sure you have a fast pc (especially cpu) tough, because it is quite demanding of cpu power. My I5 4570 has a hard time with it, Ill have to upgrade if I want to use more than one mic position simultaneously, and mixing mic positions sounds incredible with this vst.

A
A
I recommend Piano Noire by Native Instruments.

Best Demo here (Noire vs Ravenscroft vs Keyscape)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2G0xMRdjDM
Noire vs Garritan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANwDPfLnmi8&t=118s

Kawai VPC1, Nektar Impact GXP61+88
Past: "Fazer" acoustic piano, Yamaha P120, Roland JV90, M-audio and Novation Midi Keyboards
other instruments: electric and acoustic violins, Wal custom 4 string e-bass, Sire V7 fretless e-bass, Musser vibraphone
Software: Logic Pro
A
A
Originally Posted by U3piano
I recommend Embertone Walker 1955. Make sure you have a fast pc (especially cpu) tough, because it is quite demanding of cpu power. My I5 4570 has a hard time with it, Ill have to upgrade if I want to use more than one mic position simultaneously, and mixing mic positions sounds incredible with this vst.

Did you try it with a fast pc? If not, I don't see any reason to recommend it as a playable VST.

Last edited by Andrew_G; 04/03/20 09:01 AM.
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by Andrew_G

Did you try it with a fast pc? If not, I don't see any reason to recommend it as a playable VST.

Why not? My at least 5 year old pc handles it reasonably well with one mic position, and aside from the high cpu demand of this vst I am having a blast with this amazing sounding library, for me, playing garritan ctx, ravenscroft, or synthogy's American d didn't nearly give me such a realistic feeling playing experience, so in my opinion, it is very much worth recommending it, and op top of that my recommendation included recommending a fast cpu. smile

A
A
My 3 years old computer does not handle Embertone Walker reasonably well even with a single mic when I apply the sustain pedal. Without the pedal yes, this is a beautifully sounding VSTi.

Last edited by Andrew_G; 04/03/20 02:47 PM.
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I had a listen to the Embertone Walker tracks Emberton has made available on Soundcloud. I was a bit disappointed. I think perhaps it is a VST that isn't for everyone.

https://soundcloud.com/embertone/sets/walker-1955-concert-d

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by Andrew_G
My 3 years old computer does not handle Embertone Walker reasonably well even with a single mic when I apply the sustain pedal. Without the pedal yes, this is a beautifully sounding VSTi.

You probably play more complicated/faster/more demanding pieces than me. But i do agree, it is quite the cpu hog when applying the sustain pedal, and I do too have cpu overload problems sometimes. The strange thing is using multiple mic positions doesn't seem to make the problem that much worse.

BUT... if i put the sample frequency on 44100, cpu problems are gone, and I can even use multiple mic positions without problems.

I don't want to lose audio quality tough, and I like this vst alot so I'm thinking about upgrading my motherboard + cpu, or something like that.

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O

I have a reasonably fast PC - and have had no issues with at least 5 other VSTs I have tried (including Garritan CFX, VSL Synchron D-274, Ravenscroft 275 etc.). But, I always have issues with live playing on Emeberton Walker 1955 with 2 mics. I have tried all the tricks mentioned in Pianoworld and Vi Control board to make it usable - but it has been frustrating.

It is really unfortunate as I love the sound of Embertone Walker 1955. So, I will use it for rendering midi - but will not recommend it for live playing.

Osho

Last edited by Osho; 04/03/20 06:31 PM.

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by Osho

I have a reasonably fast PC - and have had no issues with at least 5 other VSTs I have tried (including Garritan CFX, VSL Synchron D-274, Ravenscroft 275 etc.). But, I always have issues with live playing on Emeberton Walker 1955 with 2 mics. I have tried all the tricks mentioned in Pianoworld and Vi Control board to make it usable - but it has been frustrating.

It is really unfortunate as I love the sound of Embertone Walker 1955. So, I will use it for rendering midi - but will not recommend it for live playing.

Osho

Hm.. yes that is unfortunate. What cpu do you have? I also have had no real issues with other vst's on my mid-aged pc, well except for garritan cfx which started to crackle after a while because of it's memory leak. But that was back when i had 8gb of ram, I added another 8gb, but haven't really played the cfx anymore since i got synthogy's American d and now emberrtone's walker.

I think a new mid-range or better PC will play most any VST.
Then time goes by. The old VSTs work fine. But the new bigger better beefier ones don't.

No matter how big your pool ... you'll find yourself with enough visitors to fill it to capacity.
And then you buy a bigger pool.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
My ‘pool’ is the Hudson River; so no, I don’t see it filling to capacity anytime soon!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
[...]BUT... if i put the sample frequency on 44100, cpu problems are gone, and I can even use multiple mic positions without problems.

I don't want to lose audio quality tough, and I like this vst alot so I'm thinking about upgrading my motherboard + cpu, or something like that.
I'm curious to know why going above 44.1KHz should make a difference in audio playing, considering it's scientifically proven (Nyquist theorem) that with that frequency rate you can perfectly reproduce up to 22050 Hz frequencies, and considering that an adult doesn't hear so much above the 16KHz, I think playing an audio signal, for example, at 96KHz is completely and utterly useless (at least for an human ear)...
IMHO those high sampling rates are useful just for purposes of master recording and editing. If I record a sample at 96KHz, then I can "manipulate" that sample (i.e. playing it slowly than its original frequency rate) without losing significant quality. That's all.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Yes, higher than 44100 is useful for editing. But you don’t need higher than that for just replaying samples. Save your money smile

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Really, well that is interesting.

I thought I was hearing a "less full" sound when i put in on 44100, but that's possibly just between the ears then.

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Really, well that is interesting.

I thought I was hearing a "less full" sound when i put in on 44100, but that's possibly just between the ears then.

Well, in my enthousiasm I just tested this again when i got home from work (yes i still work) and it turns out that unfortunately you guys were wrong about this one. The piano definitly sounds less impressive at 44100 compared to 96000, or my mind is playing massive tricks on me.

Or ... there's an uncontrolled variable.
[quote=U3piano]The piano definitly sounds less impressive at 44100 compared to 96000, or my mind is playing massive tricks on me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission