2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
42 members (Bett, Beowulf, Calavera, Alex C, AZNpiano, 13 invisible), 422 guests, and 377 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Dealers that carry Kawai & Yamaha digital lines
#2963504 04/04/20 02:50 AM
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
In my hunt for a digital piano, I have narrowed my choice down to three models - the Kawai CA78/79, the Yamaha CLP 675 and the Yamaha CLP 685. The Kawai is sandwiched in between the two Yamahas in price.

In my home town there are NO dealers that carry both the Kawai and the Yamaha digital piano lines. I am willing to travel anywhere in the continental US and Canada (if need be) to get to this dealer so that I can audition the pianos side by side.

Any dealer names and locations, guys?

Last edited by Almaviva; 04/04/20 02:54 AM. Reason: Left off the last paragraph.
Re: Dealers that carry Kawai & Yamaha digital lines
Almaviva #2963507 04/04/20 03:20 AM
D
D
I'm about an hour East of Los Angeles and the dealer I go to - SoCal Pianos -carries both Kawai and Yamaha and I have spent quite a bit of time on those same models.

Almaviva #2963551 04/04/20 07:32 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
One dealer in Richmond has the Kawais, and another has the Yamahas?

So you're willing to spend large on a trip ... risking contact with crowds of viral zombies ... just to try two brands of piano side by side?

Make it simpler:
1. Eliminate one of the Kawais. If you prefer the CA79 over the CA78, then eliminate the latter. Simple. Or vice versa. You need not consider both.
2. Eliminate one of the Yamahas. The word here is that the CLP675 action is quite inferior to the CLP685. Eliminate the CLP675.
3. Now you're down to CA7x vs. CLP 685. These are sufficiently different that I wouldn't need to try them side by side.
Two stores, two pianos. Try 'em out.
Buy one.

Question: Are the piano shops even open these days? They don't get heavy traffic in good times. How much are they getting in contagion times?

Recommendation: Bring your disinfectant. Those piano keys are infected.

MacMacMac #2963625 04/04/20 01:01 PM
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
LOL. Thanks, Mac, for your concern, but it is misplaced. I won't be traveling until this COVID-19 virus is under control, hopefully within the next few months. (I am especially leery of the NYC metropolitan area right now.) Hopefully this Kawai-Yamaha dealer is within one day's one-way driving distance so I won't have to worry about crowds. I plan on calling ahead to make a private appointment, so no crowds there. And finally, I wash my hands regularly. smile

The hometown Kawai dealer doesn't have either a CA78 or CA79 in stock, and his business was in shaky condition even before the corona virus. I don't think he will be ordering any new stuff soon.

The Kawai CA 79 is the updated version of the CA 78. I prefer the CA 79 but, if the older model is available at bargain-basement prices, I might save some money by getting the CA 78.

Thanks for the advice on the Yamaha CLP 685. I was leaning toward foregoing the CLP 675 when I made this post.

Since you own a Yamaha, Mac, I might as well ask you. I saw on a PW thread that Yamaha was planning to introduce a successor to the CLP 600 series at this year's Musikmesse in Frankfurt. (That trade show was either postponed or cancelled recently.) Do you know if Yamaha still plans on rolling out the CLP 700 (?) series this year?

It would be nice to compare the competing Kawai and Yamaha models side by side. If a dealer carrying both Kawai and Yamaha digital lines does not exist, I plan on finding separate dealers (hopefully) within an hour's driving distance between them, try out both models separately, and use my short-term memory to make a decision.

Again, thanks for your concern.

Almaviva #2963647 04/04/20 02:35 PM
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Sam Ash near Port Authority terminal NYC had a wide variety of Kawai and Yamaha digital pianos on the floor (they even had a used VPC1 which the manager didn't know was there). I wouldn't be surprised if they had 100 digital pianos and slabs on display (including used models). Across the street is B&H Camera which might have a decent sized piano selection to try. Call before going and speak to manager of digital pianos before going to confirm what you want to try is actually on the floor as the "inventory lists" are not too accurate IME.

If you have opportunity to visit Tokyo, the huge music stores and electronics stores typically have a staggering number of digital pianos on display. Awesome city if you like live music and arts.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Well! How's the playlist comin' long, then? :)
by peterws - 05/31/20 01:39 AM
Difference between n1 and n1x
by lopmax - 05/31/20 01:17 AM
A Philadelphia piano store was looted tonight
by Rich Galassini - 05/30/20 11:19 PM
Piano By Jonny
by 20/20 Vision - 05/30/20 06:59 PM
Kawai ES-110 Piano Samples
by Skyscrapersax - 05/30/20 06:12 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,295
Posts2,964,123
Members97,243
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission