2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mark122 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hello all, apologies in advance for the wall of text

I've been playing for a couple months now being self taught, learning online and acquiring a plenty of resources and pasting them on this large "piano study" document I made (I'd be happy to share upon request). I really enjoy my playing style

I've delved into some music theory extensively as well

I'm creating this posting as after looking at interviews of my favorite musicians and inspirations, like Greg Phillinganes, they seem to be well versed in technique and their hand positions/fingering as well as overall dexterity seems like one of an expert pianos if you get what I mean? :P The video attached is a prime example of what I'm talking about

Some seem to have background in classical studies, so I assume that is a crucial factor in playing

I never took time to really study what is considered to be "proper fingering" which mainly applies for my left hand than my right hand, due to the fact that normally I just play octaves and sometimes add a fifth. I fear that is affecting my playing in numerous ways, a will in the future if I don't do something about it now.

For example, I've recently tried to perform some soloing only to discover that I rarely use all five fingers, mainly just my thumb, finger, and middle finger. This applies to when I'm playing licks with both hands. In addition, I find that my speed as well as my accuracy is not all that great due to this

Fortunately, practically everything I've been doing/studying now is playing in C and transposing :P, so the problems don't spread to all the keys as I haven't studied them that much

I've basically considered starting from the ground up to ensure that my technique is good

Any advice on tips and resources for classical-esque technique and the problems I've faced?

Note - I don't intend to read sheet music, so for some older piano books, I've been transcribing the notes on noteflight or a music notation software

Yamaha Montage, Yamaha Motif ES8, Kontakt and a ton of VSTs
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
You might look at Hanon exercises to build dexterity in both hands. Start slowly and don't feel like you have to do all of them. I only do the first 20 that are listed, alternating 1-10 one day and 11-20 the next.

Once you get the hang of a given exercise, you can easily transpose it to another key.

It also is a good fingering reference for scales, arpeggios etc.

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Сlassical piano study is based on reading music, if you don't intend to read music you can't go the classical path.

You can use exercises to improve your technique substantially, but still it will not get you close to the technical level of someone who had a classical piano study.

If you care mostly about dexterity, the most dexterous pianist having an extensive free video course on the Internet is Josh Wright.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp4DtLatjb5dBNHHYcvVXCw

M
Mark122 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you guys for the responses!

Yamaha Montage, Yamaha Motif ES8, Kontakt and a ton of VSTs
M
M
Everyone's hands and bodies are different including the balance of fast twitch to slow twitch muscles. So in the long run the best info is from watching and listening to yourself. You are your own best teacher, record yourself, play slow and watch what your fingers are doing, and adjustments and record again. Listen to your playing let your ear tell you what is working.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by TBell
You might look at Hanon exercises to build dexterity in both hands. Start slowly and don't feel like you have to do all of them. I only do the first 20 that are listed, alternating 1-10 one day and 11-20 the next.

Once you get the hang of a given exercise, you can easily transpose it to another key.

It also is a good fingering reference for scales, arpeggios etc.

If you decide to use Hanon, do not follow the instructions in the exercises to lift your fingers high... it can lead to injury

https://www.pianoarticlesweekly.com/how-to-practice-hanon-exercises/

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission