2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 11 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2962009 03/30/20 05:58 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Very happy with upgrade but 1rst D below middle C has a blend of highest C# plain as day. I think that's called a flying harmonic which WDCO refers to as Mike error. That's not the only one but it's definately the worst. I think F right above D also has a touch of harmonic mike error. I don't notice them that much while playing but Bach and scales you can hear them. Still love this piano though only time will tell if I start to focus on them and let them bother me. Any comments? By the way when I run Cfx Standalone I can hear it with no problem on my laptop speakers too.

Rme BabyFace Pro, Dynaudio BM6-ll, Garritan CFX Full, Vienna Imperial, Truekeys American Grand, Modern U, Cantabile Solo 2, Hauptwerk Pipe Organ Vst, VB3 Hammond Vst and SPIN Leslie Vst, Yamaha CP33 and Novation Impulse 61
A
A
Every piano is imperfect by definition. A perfect instrument would produce only sine waves -- but probably you will not want such an instrument.

The question is, can a player apply a given instrument for performing music and for making it beautifully sounding. Try to concentrate on the former, and to apply for this the instrument as a whole, including its imperfections, which sometimes may define the instrument individuality rather than be annoying.

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
I am not much of an expert on these virtual instruments but most of the time I hear Garritan CFX I like the way it sounds.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
M
M
Originally Posted by Andrew_G
A perfect instrument would produce only sine waves

Nope, I don't think so.

S
S
I really want to like Garritan CFX but the envelope of hiss around each note ruins it for me. It is highly dependent on the type of speakers and headphones though. I like a bright and revealing sound so it is probably more apparent on my setup but I'm not the only one who faces this problem with the Garritan.

NI Noire, on the other hand, is far more to my liking with its cleanly recorded and beautifully voiced CFX.

Last edited by Smaug; 04/01/20 05:29 AM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Smaug
I really want to like Garritan CFX but the envelope of hiss around each note ruins it for me. It is highly dependent on the type of speakers and headphones though. I like a bright and revealing sound so it is probably more apparent on my setup but I'm not the only one who faces this problem with the Garritan.

I would agree with that, however I had a bit of luck that I used Sennheiser HD650 with Garritan CFX since the beginning and their dark character attenuates the hiss. But moving to any other headphones I have makes the hiss more audible.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller

NI Noire, on the other hand, is far more to my liking with its cleanly recorded and beautifully voiced CFX.

I have the lite version... I used it few times 'cause I really can't stand the background hiss, so I unistalled it.
I can hear it with both my Audio Technica ATH-M50X and my Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO headphones.

Last edited by orcoaffamato; 04/01/20 12:51 PM.

Schimmel 130T / Viscount Cantorum Trio / Viscount Legend '70 Artist W / Dexibell VIVO P3 / Behringer 2600 / Polyend Tracker / ASM Hydrasynth Explorer
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by CyberGene

I would agree with that, however I had a bit of luck that I used Sennheiser HD650 with Garritan CFX since the beginning and their dark character attenuates the hiss. But moving to any other headphones I have makes the hiss more audible.

I've only ever used HD598s with Garritan CFX, and the hiss has never been noticeable during regular use. From what you've said, I probably lucked out with my initial selection of headphone smile

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I did a clean install of Windows 10 and Garritan CFX earlier this year. The irritating background hiss seems much reduced and no longer irritating to me. Using the same digital piano, same computer, same interface, same headphones.

This is completely subjective and unverifiable so I would call BS on anyone else proposing this witchcraft lol.

That said, the Garritan CFX software is a bit wonky and reinstalling Garritan CFX only takes a few minutes. Clean reinstall of Windows is a bigger project.

Given the cost of CFX and all the extra time most of our hands, reinstall might be worth a try vs binning the software.

J
J

Does Noire work with the free version of Kontakt?

A
A
Originally Posted by JoeThePro

Does Noire work with the free version of Kontakt?

yes

Kawai VPC1, Nektar Impact GXP61+88
Past: "Fazer" acoustic piano, Yamaha P120, Roland JV90, M-audio and Novation Midi Keyboards
other instruments: electric and acoustic violins, Wal custom 4 string e-bass, Sire V7 fretless e-bass, Musser vibraphone
Software: Logic Pro
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I think the CFX lite that I have now sounds great. I have not heard any hiss to my knowledge and I’m using audio-technica ath-50x headphones.

M
OP Offline
M
I hear no hiss at all (white noise I think everyone is referring to) Please can somebody else play their d below middle c and tell me if it doesn't cause a sympathetic harmonic highest c# it's plain as day in my room. MooganDavid

Rme BabyFace Pro, Dynaudio BM6-ll, Garritan CFX Full, Vienna Imperial, Truekeys American Grand, Modern U, Cantabile Solo 2, Hauptwerk Pipe Organ Vst, VB3 Hammond Vst and SPIN Leslie Vst, Yamaha CP33 and Novation Impulse 61
Originally Posted by MooganDavid
I hear no hiss at all (white noise I think everyone is referring to) Please can somebody else play their d below middle c and tell me if it doesn't cause a sympathetic harmonic highest c# it's plain as day in my room. MooganDavid

I reinstalled Garritan CFX Lite to give it a second try and:
- The hiss is always there. You can hear it when you play softly and it disappears only if you set the hi at -12dB in the EQ;
- I can hear too the symphatetic harmonic if I play D3 and I keep it down.

Schimmel 130T / Viscount Cantorum Trio / Viscount Legend '70 Artist W / Dexibell VIVO P3 / Behringer 2600 / Polyend Tracker / ASM Hydrasynth Explorer
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
I never noticed any hiss on my $30 superlux headphones or my jbl lsr 305 speakers with the garritan cfx. (the jbl's have a slight hiss of themselves, which is annoying, I wouldn't recommend them for piano.)

That said I think it sounds kind of artificial, and have the feeling the samples are processed somehow, I don't know, but hardly use it because of this.

A
A
Concerning Noire mentioned here:

Are there audio demos of classical and/or modern piano music, played on this instrument, which allow one to evaluate its applicability as a pure piano? What I found is either combination with other instruments/effects (which hide the strength of the piano itself), or audio demos that sound too processed to be applicable for piano music.

Garritan CFX and other popular plugins (like Ravenscroft 275 or VSL pianos) have plenty of easily available pure piano demos, which demonstrate the specific features of the piano end its playability.

Noire does not: this is suspicious concerning its applicability. Am I missing something?

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I'm just not that big of fan of the CFX. I have to equalize the bass (too thin) and I don't do that with any other virtual piano, and I think there is generally too much resonance (set to minimum so can't be lowered) whereas I'm usually increasing the resonance on other pianos, and there is some strange honkiness in the middle octave that I find disturbing. So although I like it on some pieces I like to play, generally I don't.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MooganDavid

No audible hiss for me even on quietly played big Chords and maximum cranked volume: +24dB in voicemeeter! Better NOT hit them keys now or cans will explode. laugh

highest #C:
[Linked Image]

D3:
[Linked Image]

As you can see, 2.2kHz is definitely in there with all the other harmonics but it isn't particularly emphasized.
Maybe your equipment has a peak at that frequency and highlights it further.

The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.
VPC 1 -> Pianoteq 7 Std | Garritan CFX / Pearl Alto Flute 201
A
A
Originally Posted by Andrew_G
Concerning Noire mentioned here:

Are there audio demos of classical and/or modern piano music, played on this instrument, which allow one to evaluate its applicability as a pure piano? What I found is either combination with other instruments/effects (which hide the strength of the piano itself), or audio demos that sound too processed to be applicable for piano music.

Garritan CFX and other popular plugins (like Ravenscroft 275 or VSL pianos) have plenty of easily available pure piano demos, which demonstrate the specific features of the piano end its playability.

Noire does not: this is suspicious concerning its applicability. Am I missing something?

I think here is a good demo. NOIRE vs Ravenscroft vs Keyscape https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2G0xMRdjDM

Kawai VPC1, Nektar Impact GXP61+88
Past: "Fazer" acoustic piano, Yamaha P120, Roland JV90, M-audio and Novation Midi Keyboards
other instruments: electric and acoustic violins, Wal custom 4 string e-bass, Sire V7 fretless e-bass, Musser vibraphone
Software: Logic Pro
I recorded Garritan CFX Lite from C3 to C5 with EQ (HI at -12) off and then on.
Velocity is set to 48, but I can hear it from 1 to 60.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission