2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
58 members (Bill McKaig,RPT, bobsax, beeboss, CosminX, Chernobieff Piano, CyberGene, Boboulus, 20/20 Vision, 1009Vic, 16 invisible), 463 guests, and 424 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Buying advice. FP-30 vs. D1
#2962179 03/31/20 10:24 AM
P
Pil3up Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Been a lurker for a very long time. This is however my first post. I've come to the realization that I'll never be satisfied with the sound from internal speakers. I'm currently pianoless, having previously owned a Korg SP-250 and DGX-660, that I sold for more guitar amps. Even the DGX-660, which is often touted as having good on-board speakers, was lacking for me. You could probably say I'm a audiophile, always searching for better sound, it drives me as crazy.

Anyways, I'm in the market for a piano. I'd consider myself a beginner, possibly intermediate. I like the Roland FP-30, but as I know I won't be able to live with the internal speakers, whatever piano I purchase will be accompanied by some monitors and a sub. This has me thinking that the Korg D1 may be a better choice. Aesthetics don't really matter that much to me, and I like the feel equally.

So everything else being the same, the Korg would probably sound better due to the dedicated line outs, right? I know that I need to just get out and try them, but, I'm in Michigan, on a mandated stay at home order, so that's not possible right now. I'm also not sure that Id be able to demo both of these with a monitor and sub setup.

Thanks for taking the time to read and thanks ahead for any opinions.

Re: Buying advice. FP-30 vs. D1
Pil3up #2962193 03/31/20 11:13 AM
O
O
I can’t help RE your other choice however I had an FP-30 and quite liked the sound, just found the action a bit hard on my fingers as a beginner...

...WHY they omitted a line-out is beyond me, because it would certainly appeal to more people had it been included - being relatively light, compact, good action and Bluetooth*.

(*Not in all regions around the world for some sort of licensing reason).

If you do opt for an FP-30, consider a continuous damper pedal (the included pedal is just an on/off switch, and reminds me of the video game controllers from my childhood).

Learning to play. Consciously incompetent, which apparently is a good starting point. smirk
Pil3up #2962197 03/31/20 11:19 AM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Pil3up
everything else being the same, the Korg would probably sound better due to the dedicated line outs, right?

The difference in sound quality between dedicated line outs vs. dual-purpose headphone outs--if any--will be negligible compared to how different the two pianos will sound for other reasons.

You can hear all the Korg's piano sounds in the demo at https://youtu.be/K6Tz-8gQegM

You can hear the Roland's sounds at https://youtu.be/5fUOwDCnFgg

They would have been recorded out of the respective board's outputs, however they were implemented, though it's the different underlying samples and other technology that make them sound as different as they do.

Pil3up #2962203 03/31/20 11:25 AM
P
P
I owned D1 for some month (needed portable piano when was far from home) and was extremely satisfied with it. It sounded really good and the action was nice.

Roland LX706

If you wonder what my happen if you start learning piano as an adult (at the age of 33, for example) - subscribe my channel and let's find this out together:)
YoutubeChannel
anotherscott #2962208 03/31/20 11:33 AM
P
Pil3up Offline OP
OP Offline
P
The thing that has me seriously considering the D1 is that headphone outs are not ideal for sending a signal to monitors. They work, but the headphone out is an already amplified signal, that would again be amplified by the monitors. While the Korg is a Line level signal ready to be amplified. The Korg would be easier to get a good clear amplified sound out of. Right? Or am I looking at this the wrong way?

Pil3up #2962234 03/31/20 12:54 PM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Pil3up
The thing that has me seriously considering the D1 is that headphone outs are not ideal for sending a signal to monitors. They work, but the headphone out is an already amplified signal, that would again be amplified by the monitors. While the Korg is a Line level signal ready to be amplified. The Korg would be easier to get a good clear amplified sound out of. Right? Or am I looking at this the wrong way?

In theory, true line out jacks can give you better sound quality when connecting to external amplification or for recording. This can be due to signal to noise ratio (esp. at the low volume outputs you'd have to use on the DP so as to prevent over-driving the destination with an unnecessarily amplified source), as well as possible frequency response issues which can arise a couple of ways, i.e. from impedance mismatch or from the fact that true line outs are usually flat frequency response whereas headphone outs may have EQ applied, especially if they are tapped off the signal that normally goes to the internal speakers which is often EQ'd to get the best out of those speakers. But the fact that these CAN be issues doesn't mean that on a given model they WILL be issues, or even if they are, that they will be issues in your intended use (e.g. the sound quality needed to record tracks for a CD may be more critical than the sound quality needed to get perfectly satisfying sound out of a $200 pair of monitors, which itself is unlikely to have dead quiet playback).

Again, with no ability to get out and hear them yourself, I'd suggest listening to the recorded samples of both pianos on youtube or elsewhere. True, you may not be hearing something at its very best...e.g. youtube audio is roughly MP3 quality... but you will still get a pretty good sense of how these instruments sound, out of their line respective available outputs. They should be subtly better in person, and in a critical playback environment, the Korg may have more of an edge, but the pianos themselves sound so different that I think the amount of sound quality difference will be small next to the difference between the inherent sounds of the Roland and Korg pianos. Personally, I'd rather have a piano sound I love with slightly less than optimum playback electronics than a perfect sounding piano sound I don't like nearly as much. Slightly overdone pizza is still better than perfectly cooked brussel sprouts. ;-)

And if you find you actually prefer the sound of the Korg anyway, since it has the outs you prefer, that would eliminate any reason to bother with the Roland. So it may end up being an easy decision, of getting everything you want instead of there being a tradeoff at all!

anotherscott #2962238 03/31/20 01:23 PM
P
Pil3up Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks for the informative post. I like the pizza and brussel sprout analogy. I don't particularly love or hate the piano on one more than the other. So perhaps the Korg is the better choice.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Method books beyond 2nd grade
by JoniD - 05/29/20 06:29 AM
Scale Proficiency -- An update
by IntermedPianist - 05/29/20 05:55 AM
I found a true folding 88 key keyboard
by AlphaTerminus - 05/29/20 03:32 AM
Casio GP 510 VS Yamaha NU1X
by Dodo3009 - 05/29/20 02:55 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,255
Posts2,963,492
Members97,224
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission