2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
67 members (dbudde, CyberGene, bobsax, AWilley, b4xter, clothearednincompo, 13 invisible), 517 guests, and 402 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Searching for a nice grand
#2962011 03/30/20 06:03 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Good afternoon,

I am looking to purchase a grand piano - again. I used to own a Mason & Hamlin BB7 a few years back, but I needed to sell because we were moving across the country (from Atlanta to Seattle). There was too much uncertainty regarding where we'd end up, including whether our new house could fit a 7' piano (pricier out here in Seattle = smaller house) In retrospect, storing it might have been a good move, but what can you do. Choice made sense at the time. Recently, I've been practicing on a Kawai MP11se. Decent enough for now.

Anyway, I've started looking again and am trying to find a great, new piano - something in the 6-7' range. I play jazz, not really a classical player.

I've tried several Estonias in that size range and found them beautiful, crystalline, clear, articulate, lovely but felt like I was missing the sumptuous tone that I could get from my Mason & Hamlin & didn't feel like I could get the bass to growl/punch, not as prominent as I might like. Part of me feels like maybe I'm just missing the point with them. It sure sounds beautiful for some things.......just stunning in some ways. I found myself spontaneously starting to play this version on it, which I forgot I figured out a long time ago: I Remember You - Marcus Roberts

I've also tried the Yamaha CX series (6 an 7 ft). They certainly sound warmer than I remember of Yamaha's. It's hard to describe, it almost had a 'bright/warm' sound, like the tone had two layers within. The piano felt and played big (could play it in a big, orchestral Erroll Garner type manner and it held up well). That said, one thing I was struggling with is this sense that the piano had a lot of reverb from within the cabinet. It was almost like the piano was in a hall, and it was that sound exiting the piano. That's an exaggeration of course, but I'm not sure of a better way to describe it than that - inherently highly reverberant. So it felt warm, clear, but somehow distant. Does that make any sense to those who have played them? I felt like I would want to have available a more intimate, present, 'felt-y' tone. For how I play, I preferred it over the Estonia (e.g., channeling Erroll Garner on the Estonia felt odd), although I think the Estonia did what it does best to a higher level than the Yamaha and can understand the appeal.

I've also tried a Bosendorfer 185VC. That was a big (pricey) problem. Warm, round, clear, felt-like tone that could blend, or not - just wonderful. Very expensive. Coronatimes might help but still very, very expensive.

I thought to go back to Mason & Hamlin, but it seems like Mason and Hamlin isn't being sold anymore in my area, prior dealers no longer carrying them? I thought maybe try out an AA or BB again, but nothing appears to be available anywhere (hence looking back and thinking that storage might have been an option). I did enjoy playing it (recording before the sale - Sample).

Any suggestions or other brands to try? Trying to find that sweetspot but it's almost like there's a hole in the market without Mason & Hamlin there. When I was first shopping, mid 2000s, there was a lot of activity around MH as the more-affordable-yet-blindfold-test-passing-no-brainer alternative to a Steinway.

I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

(ad int) Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
Re: Searching for a nice grand
mrhudson #2962036 03/30/20 08:09 PM
M
M
Hmm... I've not been in the market for a grand. Also, I don't know what the recent vintage of M&H were like, I won't have a lot of direct advice on capturing that appeal. I have, however, been checking recordings and following conversations here.

Steinway is a useful fulcrum for pricing-- many premium European makes do list for much more, and there is a growing herd that costs less while being pretty good. Not sure how that plays out at the salesman's desk. A lot of wiggling and slithering room there between list and actual price paid.

There are some other Yamahas that are remarkably lush, if videos and testimony are to be believed. The S_X line, which is not as expensive as their top line but seems to offer a lot of charm to go with the reliability. 3, 5, and 7.

Then there is the parade of Germans. Grotrian, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Sauter seem to head the queue around here. In many cases, those are expensive, although Bechstein's "Academy" series is a lot cheaper and doesn't always suck, by a long shot. If the economy takes a real swan dive, they might have a lot less pricing power in the barely-used market.

If you haven't read it, pianobuyer.com has a list of profiles and prices (https://www.pianobuyer.com/brand-profiles/) and some brief essays by technicians and tuners with their impressions (https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/...h-end-pianos-they-service-parts-1-and-2/).

Sounds like a nice project. Have fun!

Last edited by Maestro Lennie; 03/30/20 08:13 PM.
mrhudson #2962052 03/30/20 09:42 PM
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
at my last visit to a showroom to look at used pianos, one that stood out < $50k. was a boesendorfer 200. my initial suggestion would be to stay patient and wait for a boesendorfer you enjoy appears in your budget.

some jazz players in the past century liked Baldwin grands. if that included you, and you're not biased against trying something made in the people's republik, Parsons now builds Baldwins.

mrhudson #2962066 03/30/20 10:45 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
huaidongxi #2962067 03/30/20 10:46 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by huaidongxi

some jazz players in the past century liked Baldwin grands. if that included you, and you're not biased against trying something made in the people's republik, Parsons now builds Baldwins.

The new Baldwin grands don't sound like the old ones. I do like a well-prepped 190 model, though.

terminaldegree #2962068 03/30/20 10:53 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by terminaldegree

I’ve been to Classic Pianos in both Seattle and Portland at various points over the last few years and have never seen then on the floor. I’m not sure why, but nothing to try regardless.

Last edited by mrhudson; 03/30/20 10:54 PM.
terminaldegree #2962070 03/30/20 10:58 PM
T
T
Originally Posted by huaidongxi

The new Baldwin grands don't sound like the old ones. I do like a well-prepped 190 model, though.

I have a Baldwin BP190. TerminalDegree,what prepping do you suggest? Voicing? It is an expressive, resonant instrument though some notes sound brighter or mellower than others. Perhaps it is the location in the room - I have it against a wall which is not idea due to standing waves and partials that may degrade the sound.

Your thoughts? Sorry for derailing the thread.

mrhudson #2962089 03/31/20 01:05 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
To perform at their best, all pianos require some prep work prior to sale. How much of that happens at the factory, the dealer, or in your home varies by brand, model range, and typically is commensurate with the price paid (and, for that matter, how much the dealer is discounting from SMP pricing). Those dealers who are marking down 40% from SMP are most likely doing as little prep as possible to make money on a piano sale, or are typically least willing to do much in terms of after-sale service. Of course, I'm painting with a broad brush...

mrhudson #2962264 03/31/20 03:02 PM
j&j Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Have you tried Schimmel Konzert? I thought the ones I tried had such beautiful clarity. If my dealer had a Konzert K195 in stock when I bought my Estonia.... well maybe not. Schimmel Konzerts are noticeably more expensive than Estonia. But if you’re considering M&H and Bösendorfer you’re under different price constraints. And you really should try the new Yamaha CFs. They fly much higher than the CX series and are pricier for sure. The bigger your budget, the more breathtaking pianos you can include in your shopping. Best Wishes.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
I save far better than I play!
[Linked Image]
mrhudson #2962272 03/31/20 03:19 PM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Stick with looking for a Mason Hamlin BB or AA. It seems from your post that you really miss the BB. Worth a one or two day trip to find some to play when the world gets back to normal.

Rich

Retired at the beach

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"
mrhudson #2962273 03/31/20 03:26 PM
j&j Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mrhudson

I’ve been to Classic Pianos in both Seattle and Portland at various points over the last few years and have never seen then on the floor. I’m not sure why, but nothing to try regardless.

Yeah. That’s true. When I went to the Albuquerque store, called Pianowerkes, partner of Classic Piano, they showed a link to Mason & Hamlin. When I went to the sale late October 2019, I asked about seeing Estonia and Mason & Hamlin and was told they had one Estonia and did not or no longer offered Mason & Hamlin. Since some of the Classic Piano crew was helping with the sale and had to ask other people about having M&H’s in stock, I’m thinking there may have been issues? But who can know know the hearts and minds of folks in the piano business? I think the worst job in the world for me would be to manage a whole team of luthiers and piano makers. That’s like herding sharks. laugh

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
j&j #2962274 03/31/20 03:28 PM
j&j Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
No wonder orchestra leaders have a distinctive title. They deserve it!

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
mrhudson #2962303 03/31/20 05:00 PM
J
J
I played almost every piano is Dallas last summer and finally got it down to a new Estonia 190 and a 2-3 year old M&H AA with the 190 offered around 2k less than the Mason. I got the M&H.

M&H AA
mrhudson #2962306 03/31/20 05:21 PM
D
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
D
If you like an American sound, Steinway may be having some unusual deals in the midst of COVID—though everyone probably is.

j&j #2962311 03/31/20 05:31 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
Originally Posted by mrhudson
Yeah. That’s true. When I went to the Albuquerque store, called Pianowerkes, partner of Classic Piano, they showed a link to Mason & Hamlin. When I went to the sale late October 2019, I asked about seeing Estonia and Mason & Hamlin and was told they had one Estonia and did not or no longer offered Mason & Hamlin. Since some of the Classic Piano crew was helping with the sale and had to ask other people about having M&H’s in stock, I’m thinking there may have been issues? But who can know know the hearts and minds of folks in the piano business? I think the worst job in the world for me would be to manage a whole team of luthiers and piano makers. That’s like herding sharks. laugh
M&H has bounced around between at least four different dealers in the Phoenix area during the past 20 years - but at least they've had a presence here.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
mrhudson #2962339 03/31/20 06:49 PM
R
R
I was in a similar position as you earlier this year, looking for new 7ft class grands. I tried the CX, CFX, 214VC, Model B, Fazioli, M&H BB, Estonia 190, Steingraber, Sauter, among others. Couldn't find an CF or SX. I did also really like the Baldwin BP190. I would have gotten the Steingraber but it was out of my budget. I ended up with a Bluthner Model 4.

Last edited by RdWing; 03/31/20 06:50 PM.
Carey #2962354 03/31/20 07:29 PM
j&j Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It is a shame because I thought I might have the opportunity to try a new M&H, without having to travel out of state. I’ve only had a single chance to try an older grand. I couldn’t tell if it had a typical M&H sound or feel. No telling really with a single used piano.

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
mrhudson #2962387 03/31/20 09:24 PM
A
Silver Supporter until Feb 1 2020
Silver Supporter until Feb 1 2020
A
Mr. Hudson, two questions. Do you have a budget? If so, how much? and are you willing to buy a used piano or only a new one? The answers can broaden or narrow your choices.

Boesendorfer 225 (1985)
Yamaha S400E (predecessor to CF4) Disklavier (1992)
mrhudson #2962493 04/01/20 09:02 AM
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I don't think anyone has mentioned the Shigeru Kawai (SK) pianos here. They are quite lovely. I think the sound is a little closer to the american sound than the Yamaha CX line. I've played several lovely SK6 and SK7 pianos. The Millenium III action is a lot like the WNG action you'll find in a new M&H.

GC13 #2962639 04/01/20 03:09 PM
j&j Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by GC13
I don't think anyone has mentioned the Shigeru Kawai (SK) pianos here. They are quite lovely. I think the sound is a little closer to the american sound than the Yamaha CX line. I've played several lovely SK6 and SK7 pianos. The Millenium III action is a lot like the WNG action you'll find in a new M&H.

Thanks for the reminder! If you can find them in inventory I hear the new Yamaha SX series with special rim design can be lovely. Unfortunately my dealer had none in stock, but he did let me try the CF4 which was wonderful. But yes, check out the Shigerus for sure.

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
TIPS: Latency and UVI Workstation Ravenscroft
by Bruce In Philly - 05/28/20 10:41 AM
The woman at the heart of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata
by pianoloverus - 05/28/20 09:22 AM
Time for a new teacher?
by Sebs - 05/28/20 09:00 AM
Upgrading to Kawai CA99
by Beowulf - 05/28/20 08:36 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,231
Posts2,963,134
Members97,212
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission