2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
78 members (Animisha, Bruce In Philly, claburo, Beowulf, 36251, accordeur, Bill McKaig,RPT, 15 invisible), 514 guests, and 410 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Hugh Sung Popular Piano
#2961440 03/29/20 01:16 AM
D
DannyS Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi all, I am on the cusp of joining ArtistWorks Hugh Sung. Can any of you that have done it give me a real quick thought on it? I am a beginner with about 4 weeks of self learning. I am currently using Piano Marvel and I am at level 2A in both method and technique. I can play part 1 of Für Elise fairly well at 70bpm both hands.

Thank you for your reply.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Hugh Sung Popular Piano
DannyS #2961453 03/29/20 03:25 AM
Hugh is an incredibly good teacher. I think you’ll love him. He IS in demand and travels as he is asked to perform quite a bit (although....due to the Worlds current crisis that is changing). But if he’s performing or traveling you may have to wait a bit to get a response to your video submission, but really, he’s a really hard worker and is usually pretty good at multitasking and getting back to you with really valuable feedback in a timely fashion.

The ArtistWorks structure ITSELF is what is letting down some of the really fabulous teachers as it really does need a little work in organizing its layout and making it better to communicate with other pupils, teachers, etc (ALL in My Humble Opinion of course!) I know they’ve been making a lot of improvements over time but it still needs work.

You could join for a short while and try it out. They offer pretty good deals from time to time which allows you to extend your subscription by 6 months to a year depending on the offer.

TH
[Linked Image]
DannyS #2961457 03/29/20 04:02 AM
E
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by DannyS
Hi all, I am on the cusp of joining ArtistWorks Hugh Sung. Can any of you that have done it give me a real quick thought on it? I am a beginner with about 4 weeks of self learning. I am currently using Piano Marvel and I am at level 2A in both method and technique. I can play part 1 of Für Elise fairly well at 70bpm both hands.

Any reason why you don't want to use the traditional method of having a teacher in person, or online live?

Following Trying to follow the Ling Ling 40 hour method

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
DannyS #2961467 03/29/20 05:53 AM
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Hugh Sung is a very positive and encouraging teacher, and you can play any piece you like, but some of his students play with not very good technique and/or pieces that other teachers would say are too difficult for them, and he still admires them and congratulates them.
Christie Peery, who also works via ArtistWorks, is much stricter with technique.

Last edited by Animisha; 03/29/20 05:55 AM.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
earlofmar #2961521 03/29/20 12:05 PM
D
DannyS Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by earlofmar
Originally Posted by DannyS

Any reason why you don't want to use the traditional method of having a teacher in person, or online live?

No reason specifically. I am retired military and have the time. Getting lessons in person is not an option right now for obvious reasons. I have been researching options, (Pianote, Flowkey, Playground sessions, and pretty much everything I can find online) I emailed Hugh last night at 11:28 pm, and he actually replied at 11:48. This actually put him at the top of the list, and I wanted to hear what others have thought about his course.

DannyS #2961549 03/29/20 01:37 PM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I think the Artist Works (Hugh Sung) would be a very good choice for you right now.

He will give you a chance to get proper instruction while allowing you to progress at a pace comfortable to you.

I think you will enjoy working with him.

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used)
DannyS #2961564 03/29/20 02:48 PM
M
M
Being guitar was my main instrument for decades I'v had experience with ArtistWork since their early days and have tried a number of their teachers. I've only tried one of the piano teachers. Teachers on ArtistWorks like in real world vary a lot and what you can get out of their classes mainly depends on you.

The teachers with the most prerecorded lessons seem to be the better path to take. There is a lot to learn just from the videos alone. Also how in depth the teacher goes in the videos. The key to this is making videos and submitting them and even though hard to believe a lot of the student don't make videos. A couple teachers were too, you have to do it my way with zero variation, sorry but everyone is different and variation is part of life, it's the end result that matters. Then there is the opposite teacher that too loose and just give token pats on the back and say submit again. To make ArtistWorks work for you, you have to be self motivated dig into the video both lesson and student submissions, Teacher are not going to do hand holding mainly critique and comment and either say try again and send a video, or okay time to move to another lesson. This is because your submissions are seen by all other students. I preferred another online school (they don't do piano) where your videos were only between you and the teacher so they drill down more.

So you have try out a teacher for a month or so and see if they are a good fit for you. Now ArtistWorks in beginning would bend over backwards to be helpful. Like if a teacher is working for you let your switch and other customer service things, but over the years more rules and they seem to be less flexible. I think last time I didn't like a teacher I had signed up for a six month or year plan and when I asked to switch the made it very clear you only get to switch once. So I'd only sign up for a short time to evaluate the teacher, if you like them then go for longer.

In the long run I prefer Skype type lessons interactive and individual.

DannyS #2961570 03/29/20 03:01 PM
This is cheaper than PianoCareer. Are they very different approaches to learning?

Jaime CLP-645 😃
DannyS #2961638 03/29/20 06:03 PM
Animisha brings up a really good point. If your after strict playing and Classical is your ultimate goal you could take her classes and Hughes. Or take a year of hers then pop over to Hughes.

TH
[Linked Image]
DannyS #2962230 03/31/20 12:27 PM
The Hugh Sung course at Artistworks is great and I highly recommend it. The people that participate and stick with it become good players. The only downside is that YOU must be self motivated. There are no weekly deadlines in which to have things completed. Check out the course outline - if you like the music then go for it!

DannyS #2962605 04/01/20 01:47 PM
I am giving a try to the ArtistWorks method.
The videos are very good so far but they DO NOT provide the music sheets for the lessons. You have to buy the books, and that's a lot of money if you are not a beginner and want to go really fast for the first lessons.
That's a real nuisance if you don't want to spend money on beginners books.
YMMV though

Jaime CLP-645 😃
Sol Finker #2962611 04/01/20 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by Sol Finker

Unless you go to the public domain, but you are going to find some variations and not the exact sheet the teacher is using in the video.

Jaime CLP-645 😃
DannyS #2962627 04/01/20 02:50 PM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Hugh Sung's course includes all the sheet music for the lessons (as well as a ton of extra sheets he provides for extension) for free as PDF downloads. I'm really enjoying the course. I use it as a supplement to my weekly classical lessons with a local teacher to do some fun pop stuff.

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth) and C minor Prelude (big chords), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO
DannyS #2962646 04/01/20 03:17 PM
I have access to the piano forum where they talk about the Required Material and where to buy it. But I think they refer to the Classical Piano Lessons only.
I do love the way the teachers explain each lesson, but I am starting them and I may change my opinion over the next months.
It's a good thing the Hugh Sung's course include all the sheet music for the lessons and your opinion about the course counts.
I am going to try to stick with the Classical Piano Lessons and I may change to the Pop Music Lessons down the road.

Jaime CLP-645 😃
Sol Finker #2962793 04/02/20 01:46 AM
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
I am giving a try to the ArtistWorks method.
The videos are very good so far but they DO NOT provide the music sheets for the lessons. You have to buy the books, and that's a lot of money if you are not a beginner and want to go really fast for the first lessons.
YMMV though

The music sheets for Beginners Musical (Christie Peery's course) are all provided but can be a bit hard to find on the site.

Last edited by Animisha; 04/02/20 01:47 AM.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Animisha #2962799 04/02/20 03:01 AM
Originally Posted by Animisha

The music sheets for Beginners Musical (Christie Peery's course) are all provided but can be a bit hard to find on the site.

Sure thing. I haven't found them.
And the forum refers to external suppliers.

Jaime CLP-645 😃
Animisha #2962941 04/02/20 01:03 PM

The videos are very good so far but they DO NOT provide the music sheets for the lessons

Well, I was WRONG
Originally Posted by Animisha

You were RIGHT
They provide a printing version with markings for every piece so far.
My mistake.

Last edited by Sol Finker; 04/02/20 01:08 PM. Reason: grammar

Jaime CLP-645 😃
DannyS #2966794 04/14/20 10:11 AM
M
M
I signed up to Hugh Sung at Artistworks last year. I chose Hugh after trying his Youtube videos of Clair de lune. I find him very calming.

However due to work commitments and having to work away I only used it for a few weeks. So for me i wasted some cash.. However I have a at least 2 more months of lockdown so I'm tempted to have another go.

DannyS #2966846 04/14/20 01:17 PM
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Hugh has a very calming and inspiring voice. I never heard of the Artistworks but just checked it out.

There is a 25% discount code now at the top banner of the Artistworks site. The 25% code seemed to work fine for his course in the checkout screen. The 3-month course, even at regular pricing, is tempting...

Sol Finker #2966872 04/14/20 02:13 PM
They provide a printing version with markings for every piece so far.
Wrong
I'm having trouble finding most of the pieces.

Jaime CLP-645 😃

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
TIPS: Latency and UVI Workstation Ravenscroft
by Bruce In Philly - 05/28/20 10:41 AM
The woman at the heart of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata
by pianoloverus - 05/28/20 09:22 AM
Time for a new teacher?
by Sebs - 05/28/20 09:00 AM
Upgrading to Kawai CA99
by Beowulf - 05/28/20 08:36 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,231
Posts2,963,118
Members97,210
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission