2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
77 members (Colette2, bobsax, clothearednincompo, Boboulus, Abdol, Arty Movie, computerpro3, BeeZee4, 21 invisible), 563 guests, and 414 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Action regulation and lubrication
#2961002 03/27/20 01:59 PM
L
Learux Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Is this something that needs to be performed on a regular bases or do you wait until symptoms arrive?

Can you only lubricate and not regulate?

How much can I expect to pay for a lubrication?

Thanks Ladies and Gents.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Action regulation and lubrication
Learux #2961050 03/27/20 05:09 PM
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Greetings,
The piano action offers resistance via mass and friction. If there is excessive friction, lubrication will make a large difference, however, it is no substitute for regulation. Some of the places friction makes a difference are the hammershank pinning, the repetition pinning, front pins, balancier mortises. Friction at the knuckle is easily addressed with teflon powder, while pinning can sometimes, (SOMETIMES!) change quite dramatically when given a dose.

While both regulation and friction determine a lot of the response, there is an order, i.e. there are times just a treating the friction is cost effective improvement but there is no sensible way to regulate if the friction hasn't been addressed. So, here is where I pay attention before a careful regulation:
1. Hammershank pinning has to be consistent, and usually between 1.5 and 5 grams. The 1.5 is for the WNG composite parts, but rarely will felt bushings provide sufficient stability with less than 4 grams, and even that changes with the weather.
2. Jack/knuckle interface, as well as the spring's bearing surface,(in the grub, under the balancer) is important because you are going to set the spring with these as prime factors. There are also squeak problems there and also at the contact of the tender and button.
3. Friction at the capstan is overrated, but it never hurts to polish the capstans, (unless they are the anodized ones).
4. The front pins can be devious. If there is a slight bit of micro-corrosion on the pins, they will be far more resistant to movement when there is side pressure on them, even though they may feel like there is plenty of clearance. You can test this by pressing the key straight down, and then pressing it down while pushing it lightly against the pin. It should feel equally smooth both ways.
5. Repetition springs, if of the type that bears directly upon the wood, need to be polished and the groove needs to be lubed. Excessive friction here will cause the spring to be far too strong for the work it is expected to do, as well as making the setting of the springs difficult.

Old elixirs for treating action centers were mixtures of a wide variety of things, most of which were detrimental to long term stability. These include WD-40,(which can ruin actions), naphtha and silicone, which can ruin finishes and pin blocks if spilled, and alcohol and water. Today, there is a new mix, Pro-tek CPL, which I have had better results with than any other. Beware of the tech that comes in promising his/her treatment will make your action play like new, as that is a sucker bet. By the time the friction is a problem, there are usually regulation short-comings that they may fear you won't want to pay for. Snake-oil is cheap on the front end, but often dear, later.

The above may not be a complete list, as there are moving parts all over a piano, (pedals, action shift, etc), but in terms of control, they are the biggest. How much it costs is not something I can suggest, as there are techs that charge $30 per hour and there are techs that charge $150-200 per hour. hope that helps,
Regards,

Learux #2961053 03/27/20 05:16 PM
L
Learux Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Thank you for you answer. I noticed that it is harder for me to play pp and ppp.

It almost seems like the action is jerky at these very low velocities.

Is lubrication part of regulation or are they separate evens?

Last edited by Learux; 03/27/20 05:16 PM.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T
Learux #2961144 03/28/20 12:27 AM
E
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
The effects of inertia in an action are dramatic to how well you can control it. If the inertia is high, (and the hammer mass is the largest driver of the inertia characteristics any action demonstrates), soft playing control can become difficult and friction problems magnified. Really fast playing is tiring or even impossible with some actions you will find because the hammers are so heavy.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Learux #2961256 03/28/20 11:49 AM
L
Learux Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Thanks Ed,

I talked to my tuner and I will let him decide if my piano needs regulation or just lubrication.

Based on the quote I got and knowing his approximate hourly rate this is about a 5 hour job, does that sound about right to you.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T
Learux #2961263 03/28/20 12:22 PM
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Learux

I talked to my tuner and I will let him decide if my piano needs regulation or just lubrication.

Based on the quote I got and knowing his approximate hourly rate this is about a 5 hour job, does that sound about right to you.

Greetings,
That is impossible for me to say without knowing what shape the piano is in and how accomplished the tech is. In a class I have given, (3 Regulations), I posit that there are different levels of regulation, i.e. what is appropriate for a recording instrument that will have to meet the highest demands in NOT appropriate for the casual player in their own living room. If everyone was a millionaire, that would not be true, but the careful tech will not sell a performance level regulation (at perhaps 20-30 hours of work) to a hobbyist player, as the value received is low.

Your piano may get 85 % of the possible improvement with just adjustment and lube. Maybe, for the next 10% you would have to pay for the hours of pinning that a more refined regulation would need. And the last "regulation" is "tone" regulation, which encompasses voicing, which can consume many more hours.

Professional advice about unknown pianos and techs is really compromised in this medium, so general principles are the best I can do. Others?
Regards,

Learux #2961284 03/28/20 01:24 PM
L
Learux Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Thank you for giving great information, it is much appreciated!

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What do you think of Lang Lang?
by DreamPiano80 - 06/03/20 12:48 PM
Casio piano
by Colette2 - 06/03/20 11:43 AM
Kawai CA79: Pre-Assembled vs Boxed
by DecathlonLeo - 06/03/20 11:41 AM
Spare plastic parts for keyboard/bed
by Doug Woodrow - 06/03/20 11:35 AM
Japanese vs German pianos
by GnGEmpire - 06/03/20 10:52 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,379
Posts2,965,590
Members97,294
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission