2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
79 members (Beemer, CyberGene, BadDude, clothearednincompo, Alex C, Boboulus, 17 invisible), 495 guests, and 437 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Rust spots on strings
#2961204 03/28/20 08:30 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Sorry if this has been discussed in the past, but I was wanting to get a general opinion on some small spots of rust I've noticed on my Kawai GL30 strings.

Background....I've had the piano from new for about 18 months now, and I've noticed about 3 or 4 small spots of rust recently, mainly on the mid to treble strings. They are only about 1mm in length.
I know there was one small one when first delivered, but I didn't give it any thought.

I expected that over time this will start to occur. And I know you will tell me that it really depends on the environment and atmosphere it lives in.

It is situated in a very atmospheric stable double brick house near an internal wall, (not brick) and away from any windows. The house is about 12 km inland from the coast. Admittedly the humidity in the room has frequented the 70's quite a bit over that time, but it generally doesn't move around too much.
(The piano was bought setup from an airconditioned showroom far inland by 250km, having a dry climate.)
Most of the time I have the piano completely covered with a cover, and often just play it with the lid closed with the cover pulled back a little from the fall board.

I'm really just wanting a feel on whether that is a quick time period from new to expect the odd rust spot to appear,

thanks

Chris

The companions I can't live without.........

Kawai GL30 Acoustic Grand. Kawai MP11SE, Korg Kronos 2-88
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Rust spots on strings
Deltajockey #2961236 03/28/20 10:49 AM
J
J
Probably from hand sweat from the stringer. I wouldn't worry about it. Some people might take to steel wool. But sounds like you have string cover felt which helps with dust which can contain moisture.

Deltajockey #2961251 03/28/20 11:29 AM
I have the same on my GL10. Doesn't seem to be a problem.

Kawai MP11SE
souped up Kawai GL10
Deltajockey #2961275 03/28/20 01:13 PM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
joggerjazz +1, maybe someone touched the strings with his hands.

Maybe clean the strings next time, after the tuner/tech did his work?

I would not use steel wool though, I think it might change the thickness of the strilngs at some spots leading to unevenness. Maybe some tech could comment more on that.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Deltajockey #2961290 03/28/20 01:47 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I have a GL10 that's 2 years old and don't have any rust, I don't know what's normal. One thing that can contribute to rust on metal is changes in temperature. For example if you keep your house cool overnight and the strings cool down, then turn the heat up in the morning and that warm moist air hits the cool strings, moisture can condense which may lead to rust. It doesn't sound like that would be likely in your case because you keep the lid down and the piano covered.
I would have imagined that tuners would wear light cotton gloves to avoid touching the strings. Fingers have acid, oil and moisture on them. If I were going to try to clean the rust, I would use a nylon based pad that we call scotchbrite over here, not sure what they're called down under. I use scotchbrite on woodworking equipment to remove rust without damaging the fine finish.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
Deltajockey #2961389 03/28/20 07:57 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks guys, I'm not overly concerned. It's more my interest in the rate at which it might occur into the future. As we all know, the differences in environment is the major contributor to the differences between pianos.
Thanks Mark, we do call them scotchbrite also, I do have some under the kitchen sink. I've seen Youtube videos where piano techs use steel wool for cleaning the strings, but I feel that is only appropriate when large areas need to be cleaned in pianos undergoing refurb. I wouldn't consider that for small areas, in an otherwise spotless piano. I don't like the idea of any scouring type abrasions for the oxide dust they would leave on my pristine soundboard. I've been thinking of using a cream type compound on the end of a cotton tip. We have a marvelous Australian cleaner called Gumption. It is a cream based kitchen cleaner which while having abrasive cleaning properties, seems to be non scratching. I use it on the kitchen sink for instance, and it's good for glass and polishing my induction cooktop. I'm not due for a tune until July, which I hope will happen and not be delayed due to this awful affliction, so I'm reluctant to do anything drastic which might upset a strings tuning. It will be better for leave well enough alone if my delicate cotton tip is not successful,

Chris

The companions I can't live without.........

Kawai GL30 Acoustic Grand. Kawai MP11SE, Korg Kronos 2-88

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Roland FP-4 speaker problem
by JLouie - 05/29/20 11:50 AM
Lighting for Korg D1 keys?
by Doug Brock - 05/29/20 10:41 AM
The 21 levels of taking a bow
by pianoloverus - 05/29/20 09:59 AM
New OS for Roland Fantom
by slipperykeys - 05/29/20 09:59 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,261
Posts2,963,572
Members97,227
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission