2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
28 registered members (Chernobieff Piano, carlspost, camperbc, dobro, cameronkkk, 36251, Almaviva, David B, 5 invisible), 297 guests, and 337 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Would sound get affected because of cracked sound board? #2960138 03/24/20 09:40 PM
D
DreamPiano80 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Is it true that when the sound board is cracked, the sound is not affected like many people (sellers?) claim? I always suspected that the claim was not true because if it was so, the piano manufacture would not even bother gluing the pieces of the sound board together. If the sound got affected when the sound board was cracked, then how and in what way it would?

(ad int) Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
Re: Would sound get affected because of cracked sound board? [Re: DreamPiano80] #2960151 03/24/20 10:17 PM
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by DreamPiano80
Is it true that when the sound board is cracked, the sound is not affected like many people (sellers?) claim? I always suspected that the claim was not true because if it was so, the piano manufacture would not even bother gluing the pieces of the sound board together. If the sound got affected when the sound board was cracked, then how and in what way it would?

The easiest way to put it is that a crack in a soundboard is a symptom, but not the disease. A crack shows that the soundboard is moving. This is usually the result of changes in the relative humidity that has caused the pieces of wood making up the assembly to expand and contract. What I refer to the assembly , I mean the board itself, as well as the bridges and the rib stock that make up the entire unit we call the soundboard.

A crack, in and of itself, does not subtract substantially from the area of active soundboard. It usually will not impede parts of the board from becoming active. However, if the soundboard is cracked, then it is moving.This is frequently caused by rapid or extreme changes in humidity over time.

If the soundboard is moving, then it is likely not at the specified position it should be in. For example, the height of each end of the speaking length of the string (bridge pin to agraffe) will not be where they ought to be. The soundboard assembly itself may have lost what we call crown, which is the "curve" of the entire assembly that helps to create tension - and better tone.

When a soundboard loses crown, the piano will not sound as it was designed to sound. It will not have the breadth of tone or the length of decay that it was designed to have.

So, while a crack in a soundboard may not, in itself, cripple a soundboard, it is a sign that something is beginning to happen.... or has already happened.

I hope that helps,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Philadelphia, King of Prussia, and Cherry Hill, NJ
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/CunninghamPiano
Re: Would sound get affected because of cracked sound board? [Re: Rich Galassini] #2960168 03/24/20 11:48 PM
D
DreamPiano80 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
Originally Posted by DreamPiano80

The easiest way to put it is that a crack in a soundboard is a symptom, but not the disease. A crack shows that the soundboard is moving. This is usually the result of changes in the relative humidity that has caused the pieces of wood making up the assembly to expand and contract. What I refer to the assembly , I mean the board itself, as well as the bridges and the rib stock that make up the entire unit we call the soundboard.

A crack, in and of itself, does not subtract substantially from the area of active soundboard. It usually will not impede parts of the board from becoming active. However, if the soundboard is cracked, then it is moving.This is frequently caused by rapid or extreme changes in humidity over time.

If the soundboard is moving, then it is likely not at the specified position it should be in. For example, the height of each end of the speaking length of the string (bridge pin to agraffe) will not be where they ought to be. The soundboard assembly itself may have lost what we call crown, which is the "curve" of the entire assembly that helps to create tension - and better tone.

When a soundboard loses crown, the piano will not sound as it was designed to sound. It will not have the breadth of tone or the length of decay that it was designed to have.

So, while a crack in a soundboard may not, in itself, cripple a soundboard, it is a sign that something is beginning to happen.... or has already happened.

I hope that helps,

Thanks Rich for the explanation!

So a crack might not affect the sound very much unless other parts are moving.

if a crack is big enough that makes the sound board pieces that are involved to completely separate, I guess it would prevent the sound board acting as sound board?

Re: Would sound get affected because of cracked sound board? [Re: DreamPiano80] #2960175 03/25/20 12:22 AM
B
BDB Offline
B
I am not certain whether soundboard cracks or lack of crown has any effect on the sound in most circumstances. I have tuned lots of pianos with cracks, and even a couple of Rippens with reverse crowns (made flat and crowned downward by the force of the string downbearing), and they fall within the normal range of piano sound. That is not to say that is true of all pianos, but I am not convinced that anyone knows every last secret of how soundboards work, and probably not enough to say for certain what element of their design and construction makes a particular difference in the sound. I understand hammers a little better, and I know that changes in them make quite a difference in loudness, sound decay, and tonal quality, which correspond pretty much with my understanding of the wave equation. Soundboards also seem to work according to one part of the wave equation, that which has to do with going from one, two, and three dimensions, but as for specific changes making specific differences in the tone, that remains arcane.

I have never heard a piano that has changes in tonal characteristics that I could ascribe to a crack or loss of crown in the soundboard during the time that I have heard, tuned or played it. It could happen, I suppose, but as far as I can tell, it is not likely to happen within the lifespan of other components of the piano, and unless there is a catastrophic event, not during a particular tenure of ownership. There are some pianos I have known for many decades, and many of these pianos are much older than I am.

Semipro Tech
Re: Would sound get affected because of cracked sound board? [Re: DreamPiano80] #2960287 03/25/20 12:28 PM
PianoWorksATL Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
One of my neighbors had a house fire in his attic. His grand piano, a Yamaha G3, was on the main floor (2 below). Between the fire and the fire department, the piano experienced zero humidity and then 100% sauna within an hour. A few cracks opened up.

We removed the piano, treated it for smoke damage and stored it during the home repairs. By the time we returned the piano 8 months later, the cracks had all sealed and looked "healed". The piano was lucky. Most do not heal, and we see a lot with fire and water damage.

Those are instances of an "event" that caused the failure. Most cracks are due to cyclical changes and longer time spans. A bigger problem than a crack is often a bridge or rib separation. In these case, bad buzzes can develop or significant loss of performance in 1 or more registers.

If a soundboard is designed to have crown and looses it, the performance is diminished. If the downbearing is no longer at spec, flatness of sustain is typically lost, and sometimes total sustain.

Most pianos in homes have more than enough top end range, that is loudness, so when that diminishes, it is far less obvious than it is for a performance venue. In those venues, the loss of top end projection can lead to the retirement of an otherwise still good piano.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Re: Would sound get affected because of cracked sound board? [Re: DreamPiano80] #2960361 03/25/20 04:39 PM
R
Rank Piano Amateur Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Given that I am not an expert, it seems to me that sound board cracks sometimes produce changes in sound, and sometimes don't. Of course, as Rich points out, the changes in sound might be produced by the same factors that cracked the soundboard in the first place, in which case the cracks don't change the sound, but, if the sound has changed, it might be due to the same things that caused the cracks.

In any event, even a crack that has not either caused or accompanied a change in sound can and probably does affect the value of a piano, or why would anyone care whether there's a crack or not? Cracks in the soundboard are not viewed as a good thing by customers, and hence cannot be viewed as a non-issue by sellers either.

Just my less than two cents, as a non-expert customer. . . .

Re: Would sound get affected because of cracked sound board? [Re: DreamPiano80] #2960370 03/25/20 05:16 PM
Rickster Offline
Originally Posted by Rank Piano Amateur
In any event, even a crack that has not either caused or accompanied a change in sound can and probably does affect the value of a piano, or why would anyone care whether there's a crack or not? Cracks in the soundboard are not viewed as a good thing by customers, and hence cannot be viewed as a non-issue by sellers either.

I'm no expert either, RPA.

The piano mover I use on occasion, and also a long-time acquaintance and friend, said he road up to north Ga. to move a Yamaha grand piano for a buyer, who met him at the seller's home. He said when he got there and was looking the piano over before he started work, he noticed a small crack in the soundboard.

He pointed it out to the buyer, who had not noticed it (not sure if they got a tech inspection, but probably not) and the buyer pointed it out to the seller, who had not noticed it, apparently.

My mover friend said the seller reduced the price $1000 immediately, and the buyer agreed to follow through with the deal. So, yes, a cracked soundboard does indeed affect the price, even if it doesn't affect the sound/tone. I'm not sure what the actual selling price was, I don't think the mover ever mentioned it. But he did mention the immediate $1000 discount because of the crack.

The older I get (and I'm already old:-) I've come to the conclusion that what you hear when you play a piano is much more important than what you see when you play the piano. Maybe that is why I like old relics that sound and play good but look bad? smile

Just a few thoughts...

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Would sound get affected because of cracked sound board? [Re: DreamPiano80] #2960373 03/25/20 05:32 PM
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
4000 Post Club Member

4000 Post Club Member
I think a crack is sort of analogous to a tumor. The tumor might be benign, premalignant or malignant. Regardless, it's better not to have a tumor at all. A given crack may not cause problems, or it may cause problems in the future. Better to not have a crack at all.

And still I dream she'll come to me
That we will live the years together
But there are dreams that cannot be
And there are storms we cannot weather
Re: Would sound get affected because of cracked sound board? [Re: Rickster] #2960374 03/25/20 05:33 PM
Retsacnal Offline

4000 Post Club Member

4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
I've come to the conclusion that what you hear when you play a piano is much more important than what you see when you play the piano.

thumb

And still I dream she'll come to me
That we will live the years together
But there are dreams that cannot be
And there are storms we cannot weather
Re: Would sound get affected because of cracked sound board? [Re: Rickster] #2960435 03/25/20 08:30 PM
D
DreamPiano80 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Given that I am not an expert, it seems to me that sound board cracks sometimes produce changes in sound, and sometimes don't. Of course, as Rich points out, the changes in sound might be produced by the same factors that cracked the soundboard in the first place, in which case the cracks don't change the sound, but, if the sound has changed, it might be due to the same things that caused the cracks.

Originally Posted by Rickster

I'm no expert either, RPA.

The piano mover I use on occasion, and also a long-time acquaintance and friend, said he road up to north Ga. to move a Yamaha grand piano for a buyer, who met him at the seller's home. He said when he got there and was looking the piano over before he started work, he noticed a small crack in the soundboard.

He pointed it out to the buyer, who had not noticed it (not sure if they got a tech inspection, but probably not) and the buyer pointed it out to the seller, who had not noticed it, apparently.

My mover friend said the seller reduced the price $1000 immediately, and the buyer agreed to follow through with the deal. So, yes, a cracked soundboard does indeed affect the price, even if it doesn't affect the sound/tone. I'm not sure what the actual selling price was, I don't think the mover ever mentioned it. But he did mention the immediate $1000 discount because of the crack.

The older I get (and I'm already old:-) I've come to the conclusion that what you hear when you play a piano is much more important than what you see when you play the piano. Maybe that is why I like old relics that sound and play good but look bad? smile

Just a few thoughts...

Rick

I agree with cracks affecting the value of the piano. A small or big scratches, heck many scratches or even dents, might not be stop a car from being drive able, but it will certainly lower the value of the car.

Nobody will pay same price for a piano with cracks vs a non-crack imho.

Re: Would sound get affected because of cracked sound board? [Re: DreamPiano80] #2960489 03/25/20 11:45 PM
VladK Offline
Sorry, I posted a wrong video, let me find the right one.

Last edited by VladK; 03/25/20 11:51 PM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner.
Yamaha P-515, P-80, HS8, Sennheiser HD 650, HD 800 S, CEntrance DACport, DACport HD
Re: Would sound get affected because of cracked sound board? [Re: DreamPiano80] #2960871 03/26/20 11:21 PM
J
joe80 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
There's a story about one of the Steinway brothers proving that a crack wouldn't affect their soundboards, cut a hole in the soundboard of one of his new pianos and challenged anyone to notice a difference. Two points though - the soundboard was still in good *shape*, and also we don't know where he cut the hole. The point he was trying to make was that despite changes in the soundboard over time, the instrument would still maintain beautiful sound. That's changed days for sure!

Colin Leverett of Blüthner's UK, later Piano Restorations Ltd Uk told me that the first time he encountered needing to replace a soundboard was a Blüthner grand that was about 50 years old at the time, back in the late 50's. He told me that they'd tried everything to get the tone of this piano back - changed the down bearing so many times, the scale, the bridges, the hammers, and nothing worked. Remember that they were also importing and servicing the new pianos before they were sold at that time so they did have a comparison. Anyway Colin called up his boss and said he felt the soundboard needed to be replaced, and his boss said that was unheard of in piano repair and not to do it. They went ahead and replaced the soundboard and told the boss to come in and see the piano. Boss said "it sounds as good as new, how did you do that then?", and Colin winked and told him "soundboard was replaced boss", and boss went ballistic at first but was ecstatic soon after.

Most of the soundboards they replaced actually didn't appear cracked, but in a lot of them you could see with the naked eye that the crown had gone and in some cases reversed. Colin Leverett says that his workshop was the first in Europe to replace soundboards, which is probably true because it's actually something that's generally not done very often in Europe where the approach to piano restoration is far more conservative.

Does anybody know when soundboard replacement first became a 'thing' in piano restoration? I know that Steinway and Blüthner in the UK have offered it as part of their service for many years now. What about the USA?

I know there's disagreement even on this forum about soundboards, but I just post that to share an anecdote from within the trade.

Re: Would sound get affected because of cracked sound board? [Re: joe80] #2960991 Yesterday at 01:25 PM
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by joe80
Colin Leverett says that his workshop was the first in Europe to replace soundboards, which is probably true because it's actually something that's generally not done very often in Europe where the approach to piano restoration is far more conservative.

Does anybody know when soundboard replacement first became a 'thing' in piano restoration? I know that Steinway and Blüthner in the UK have offered it as part of their service for many years now. What about the USA?

I know there's disagreement even on this forum about soundboards, but I just post that to share an anecdote from within the trade.

I believe that Colin and now Paul may have been the first in the UK. Soundboard replacement has probably been happening longer here in the USA. It certainly happens more often, or at least it had, from my admittedly limited exposure.

I take as experience my first time visiting Europe in the 1980's, which included London, Paris, and Athens. Even then, I visited piano shops whenever I traveled. In London and Paris I found piano shops who also restored pianos. I saw no new boards in either city, and was surprised that the general opinion was to restore, rather than replace and rebuild, even when it came to actions.

For instance, a shop in Paris had a technician who was painstakingly breaking joints in a wippen so the entire assembly could be cleaned, reglued, rebushed, and reassembled. It was amazing to me that this effort was taking place. With 20/20 hind sight, I think this was either a throw back to the days when new replacement actions were less available. They WERE generally available in the 1980's, but if someone had been in the industry for years, they may have just been in the rhythm of doing this - or preferred it for some reason.

After that visit, and experiencing first hand appreciation for history and the richness of culture throughout Europe, it could be that something else was happening as well. In parts of the USA, a building 75 years old is OLD and there is no qualms about generally ripping it down and replacing it. In Europe, there are so many buildings that have been around for hundreds of years. They would think no more of ripping down one of these structures as they would cutting off their own arm. This way of thinking may well have influenced their decisions in what and how to do restoration on a piano.

Anyway, my 2 cents,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Re: Would sound get affected because of cracked sound board? [Re: DreamPiano80] #2961034 Yesterday at 03:44 PM
P
P W Grey Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
I think Steve Jellen in CT was one of the first to do soundboard replacement back in the late 50's and early 60's.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
Re: Would sound get affected because of cracked sound board? [Re: DreamPiano80] #2961043 Yesterday at 04:37 PM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
So again please excuse my curiosity. What’s the cost difference between replacing a soundboard or an action vs rebuilding a soundboard or rebuilding an action?

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
“Send lawyers, guns, and money. The $hit has hit the fan.” Warren Zevon
[Linked Image]
Re: Would sound get affected because of cracked sound board? [Re: DreamPiano80] #2961252 12 hours ago
B
Bill McKaig,RPT Offline
B
Wally Brooks was doing soundboard replacement quite early as well.

Professional Piano Technician serving the Tampa bay area. website: mckaigpianoservice.com
Re: Would sound get affected because of cracked sound board? [Re: j&j] #2961266 10 hours ago
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by j&j
So again please excuse my curiosity. What’s the cost difference between replacing a soundboard or an action vs rebuilding a soundboard or rebuilding an action?

Let's talk about the action. To prep., hang a new action, regulate, voice, and get the piano humming to concert condition can take several weeks. IMHO, to work with the ORiGINAL parts and fully restore the action, Like I saw happening in Europe (se my earlier post) it HAS to take twice that time, and frankly, it requires additional skills than using a new action. SO as far as cost, I don't see it as being substantially less, in fact it could be more.

I need to add that because older parts are being used and reassembled, there is a greater chance that the position of each part within an assembly, like a wippen, might not be exactly the same position that they were. The possibility of getting as an exacting a final product as with new parts, while not impossible, is not as easily achieved.

My 2 cents,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Re: Would sound get affected because of cracked sound board? [Re: Rich Galassini] #2961291 9 hours ago
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j

Let's talk about the action. To prep., hang a new action, regulate, voice, and get the piano humming to concert condition can take several weeks. IMHO, to work with the ORiGINAL parts and fully restore the action, Like I saw happening in Europe (se my earlier post) it HAS to take twice that time, and frankly, it requires additional skills than using a new action. SO as far as cost, I don't see it as being substantially less, in fact it could be more.

I need to add that because older parts are being used and reassembled, there is a greater chance that the position of each part within an assembly, like a wippen, might not be exactly the same position that they were. The possibility of getting as an exacting a final product as with new parts, while not impossible, is not as easily achieved.

My 2 cents,

So I guess in those shops in Europe that rebuilt the actions rather then hang and fit a new action would be they couldn’t import or buy a new action, they had to rebuild and refit the old action? Same with soundboards?

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
“Send lawyers, guns, and money. The $hit has hit the fan.” Warren Zevon
[Linked Image]
Re: Would sound get affected because of cracked sound board? [Re: Rich Galassini] #2961342 6 hours ago
D
David-G Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
After that visit, and experiencing first hand appreciation for history and the richness of culture throughout Europe, it could be that something else was happening as well. In parts of the USA, a building 75 years old is OLD and there is no qualms about generally ripping it down and replacing it. In Europe, there are so many buildings that have been around for hundreds of years. They would think no more of ripping down one of these structures as they would cutting off their own arm. This way of thinking may well have influenced their decisions in what and how to do restoration on a piano.

I think Rich has made rather a profound point - it perhaps has something to do with differences between the American and the European character.

When my Bluthner (1881) was restored, the rebuilder kept the original soundboard, and the wrest plank. The hammers were kept but refelted. He was dead against regilding the frame, and I am now so glad that the original patina was kept.

Re: Would sound get affected because of cracked sound board? [Re: Rich Galassini] #2961354 5 hours ago
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j

My 2 cents,

You didn’t discuss the soundboard: replace or repair in a vintage piano? I have a vintage M&H grand, and my uneducated concern is that replacing the soundboard might change the tone. Is that hogwash?

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pieces to learn or listen to during COVID-19 pandemic
by Tubbie0075 - 03/28/20 09:00 PM
Self-isolation
by MarieJ - 03/28/20 08:57 PM
Essential Services?
by malkin - 03/28/20 08:34 PM
Why are Kawai and Nord doing this?
by Almaviva - 03/28/20 06:53 PM
MP7SE vs S7 Pro vs Grandstage
by PeterGr - 03/28/20 05:39 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,751
Posts2,939,775
Members96,393
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission