2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
38 registered members (Chernobieff Piano, Deltajockey, 36251, cameronkkk, camperbc, D959, cmb13, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 301 guests, and 437 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Steinway “C” owners— do you like this model or ??? #2960532 03/26/20 04:05 AM
C
Coda9 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Here’s a query for anyone who owns or has impressions of playing a Steinway model C —7’5” grand... do you like this Steinway models’s scaling , does it have more sound compared to the model B ? Do you own one that has been partially or fully restored ? I become lured by this model C because It’s a bit longer than the 7 foot model B. However it’s definitely a vintage age from the New York Steinway production so there’s a strong possibility a restoration would be quite necessary plus reevaluating the panels finished sound . Thanks for any observations !

(ad int) Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
Re: Steinway “C” owners— do you like this model or ??? [Re: Coda9] #2960619 03/26/20 10:12 AM
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Coda9,

I see you are in San Fran. , but I have to ask anyway - Are you talking about a new piano or a rebuilt piano?

You should also know that there were several iterations of the Steinway C. Since you mention a 7'5" I assume you are talking about pianos that were made after 1886 (or thereabouts - I am home without my reference and am going by memory). If so, this piano is really a scaled down model D more than it is a larger B. The company was looking for a "more concert grand piano" performance in a smaller footprint.

Now in 1892-ish, an updated version of the C was introduced. This is likely the piano most have played because there were more of these made than any other version of the C.

I look forward to your reply,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Philadelphia, King of Prussia, and Cherry Hill, NJ
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/CunninghamPiano
Re: Steinway “C” owners— do you like this model or ??? [Re: Coda9] #2960696 03/26/20 01:10 PM
K
Keith D Kerman Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Hello Coda9,

I love the American Model Cs and am mixed about the Hamburgs with some that I have experienced being wonderful and others not so much. They stopped production of the New York Cs around 1917 IIRC, and made a few more on special order maybe through around 1940.

Because of the age of the NY Cs they require extensive rebuilding. Also, because they are so rare, most rebuilders have little experience with them compared with more common models like the B, the O and the L for example.
I agree with Rich that the older Cs were basically scaled down Ds, but in general the Cs are less of a concert grand in terms of overall power and volume then even the Bs, unless they are modified for extra power. Of course, they have plenty of power for a home environment and even a recital hall.

FWIW, A couple of years ago in the DC area, the great Irish Pianist John O'Conor when performing Beethoven's Third Piano Concerto ( with a smaller than modern orchestra. One of a similar size to what would have been experienced during Beethoven's time ) chose a PianoCraft rebuilt Steinway C over a concert grand and was quite generous in his praise of the instrument. The hall was not huge, seating only around 500. Had it been a larger hall and/or larger orchestra a Concert grand would have likely been more appropriate.

Here are some videos of a New York Steinway Model C originally manufactured in 1887/88 that we comprehensively rebuilt. The stunning rosewood finish does not show up very well on the videos but I think you can get at least a good idea of the piano's tonal qualities and the music is quite beautiful. Enjoy! I will be curious as to your thoughts.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
Rebuilding & Sales - vintage and used Steinway, Mason & Hamlin
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Baldwin
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
Re: Steinway “C” owners— do you like this model or ??? [Re: Coda9] #2960727 03/26/20 02:33 PM
trandinhnamanh Offline
Here's the thread about my C:

Hamburg Steinway C-227

Hope this may help, as there were many opinions about this model.

Last edited by trandinhnamanh; 03/26/20 02:34 PM.

Hamburg Steinway & Sons C-227
Yamaha Stagea Electone ELS-02X
Re: Steinway “C” owners— do you like this model or ??? [Re: Coda9] #2960869 03/26/20 11:09 PM
J
joe80 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
I haven't played that many Cs, but the ones I have played have been very beautiful. They kind of have the tone profile of the D but somehow more rounded and sweeter, if that makes sense. They seem to be more balanced than the B.

I'm talking only about the Hamburg C because I've never seen a New York C in the flesh, restored or otherwise.

I still get misty eyed thinking about the Hamburg C we had in Glasgow, new in probably 1988 when the new conservatoire building opened. It had one piece ivory on the white keys, and it was an absolute joy to play. Up until about 2000, nobody practiced on the piano and it was only used for certain concerts, and it was voiced and fully regulated every year by Ulrich from Steinway. The problem was that one of the piano students got themselves a Steinway key cut and started using it for practice, and then many other students started to join in. Very quickly the hammers went hard and the tuning had to happen more often, that was a shame. They sold the piano in something like 2006 when they moved over to leasing pianos. I say they should have kept that one, it was a really special instrument, and with the right maintenance it maybe would still be in good condition today. Soundboards last a long time in Scotland because we have such boring weather.

Re: Steinway “C” owners— do you like this model or ??? [Re: joe80] #2960983 Yesterday at 12:50 PM
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by joe80
I haven't played that many Cs, but the ones I have played have been very beautiful. They kind of have the tone profile of the D but somehow more rounded and sweeter, if that makes sense. They seem to be more balanced than the B.

I totally agree with that description when referring to a properly rebuilt American S&S C.

Cheers Joe,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Re: Steinway “C” owners— do you like this model or ??? [Re: Rich Galassini] #2961040 Yesterday at 04:14 PM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini

I totally agree with that description when referring to a properly rebuilt American S&S C.

Cheers Joe,

Since we’re on lock down I’m just curious. Was there a rumor that Steinway was bringing back the “C”? If so, is the reason because at that size the sound is as Joe describes?

Last edited by j&j; Yesterday at 04:15 PM.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
“Send lawyers, guns, and money. The $hit has hit the fan.” Warren Zevon
[Linked Image]
Re: Steinway “C” owners— do you like this model or ??? [Re: j&j] #2961048 Yesterday at 04:47 PM
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by j&j

Since we’re on lock down I’m just curious. Was there a rumor that Steinway was bringing back the “C”? If so, is the reason because at that size the sound is as Joe describes?

The C is currently built in Hamburg, j&j. I do not know of any plan to build them in NYC, but I am not in the factory. There were whispers of that a number of years ago, but I would guess that nothing is happening with that at this time, because I think I would have heard something about it..

As you know - I do not work for Steinway. smile

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Re: Steinway “C” owners— do you like this model or ??? [Re: Rich Galassini] #2961087 Yesterday at 07:29 PM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j

The C is currently built in Hamburg, j&j. I do not know of any plan to build them in NYC, but I am not in the factory. There were whispers of that a number of years ago, but I would guess that nothing is happening with that at this time, because I think I would have heard something about it..

As you know - I do not work for Steinway. smile

But Cunningham Piano has rebuilt more than a few. wink
Thank you.

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
Re: Steinway “C” owners— do you like this model or ??? [Re: Coda9] #2961110 Yesterday at 08:52 PM
C
Coda9 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks for everyone’s contribution to this thread so far it’s produced fascinating sound impressions . The 1888 restored model C from PianoCraft Seemed to produce a rich string sound dominant character seemed to produce a rich string sound dominant character , while the 1900 model C from Piano Works seeed to have a bit more crisp sound quality but with a beautiful bass. The photos of the Hamburg piano were breathtaking — shows the length very well . And the history of production is very welcome . In the past week I found an ad on craigslist for an 88 key Steinway model C, with minimal “ refurbishing “ asking around $20,000. I sent a query but have yet to receive answers to my questions .
My impression ( from hearing these videos) of this model C compared to a Steinway D doesn’t agree that it has as much magnitude and potential expansiveness . It seems more to have a character particular to its scale design. But I’m still very curious and hope to listen to more sound samples of this model C .

Re: Steinway “C” owners— do you like this model or ??? [Re: Coda9] #2961112 Yesterday at 09:10 PM
M
Maestro Lennie Offline
M
I think there is one at Holywell in Oxford. Quite uniform in the top 5 octaves, then boomy all through the bass. Too big for that beautiful hall, and very industrial-sounding. Sadly, it's fairly new, and everyone seems quite proud of it. If there was a room that could make good use of a gently-voiced Bechstein or Bluthner (or Grotrian?), that is the one.

Re: Steinway “C” owners— do you like this model or ??? [Re: Coda9] #2961121 Yesterday at 10:00 PM
F
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Our local performance center has a Hamburg C

It is un frigging believable

On Jan 28 Jean-Yves Thibaudet and Midori performed 3 Beethoven Violin Sonatas. I sat there stunned by the piano’s gorgeous tone.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
Re: Steinway “C” owners— do you like this model or ??? [Re: j&j] #2961136 22 hours ago
L
Lady Bird Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by j&j

Cheers Joe,

There are always new Steinways rumours!
You ask whether we like the sound .Well the video sound is not really good .
While at times I can hear the treble ,the bass is often too soft to judge.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 22 hours ago. Reason: Spelling
Re: Steinway “C” owners— do you like this model or ??? [Re: Lady Bird] #2961207 13 hours ago
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
And that’s always been a bit of a problem for me. A piano sounds very different to my ears when I’m playing it or listening to it be played when I’m right there than when I listen to recordings, even with high grade headphones. I’m sure thankful I went piano shopping last October rather than trying to shop with virtual visits to the showroom.

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pieces to learn or listen to during COVID-19 pandemic
by Tubbie0075 - 03/28/20 09:00 PM
Self-isolation
by MarieJ - 03/28/20 08:57 PM
Essential Services?
by malkin - 03/28/20 08:34 PM
Why are Kawai and Nord doing this?
by Almaviva - 03/28/20 06:53 PM
MP7SE vs S7 Pro vs Grandstage
by PeterGr - 03/28/20 05:39 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,751
Posts2,939,763
Members96,393
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission