2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
39 registered members (Almaviva, David B, Chernobieff Piano, computerpro3, 36251, Dfrankjazz, DannyS, carlspost, 8 invisible), 276 guests, and 284 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
MP7SE - BIG questions about saving stuff... #2960693 03/26/20 01:04 PM
Ragtime2k Offline OP
OP Offline
ok, maybe it's just me but...

I made some very nice Rhodes pianos I wanted to save.

The editing would include changes in the AMP effect, the efx1-2 and several more.

Now, about storing sounds or setups the manual states:

"the existing sound (also SETUP memory) will be overwritten with the adjusted sound"

question 1: does it mean that, saving the new sound, I would lose the original "factory" sound?

Finally, all the time I spent fine tuning parameters, in order to achieve the result I wanted, got lost because I was afraid that, hitting the "save" button, I would have overwritten (thus lost) the original preset.

question 2: is there a way to access some kind of "empty memory banks" where I can save new sounds and settings, yet keeping the original ones?

It wouldn't make much sense to give the possibility of saving new sounds if that meant losing the old ones, so I'm inclined to believe there must be a way to do it.

Apparently the manual is not very explicit about this matter (or maybe it was me that I couldn't find anything explicit about it...)

question 3: there is a "factory reset" option: does that mean I can restore the piano to its original state, sounds, settings, and all, no matter what I changed?

I would make a statue* of anybody who can solve this issue

*if I could grin

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods, and more!
Re: MP7SE - BIG questions about saving stuff... [Re: Ragtime2k] #2960701 03/26/20 01:24 PM
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
D
#1 - No

#2 - Yes (Owners Manual 64-66)

#3 - Yes (Page 117)

Last edited by dmd; 03/26/20 01:31 PM.

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used)
Re: MP7SE - BIG questions about saving stuff... [Re: Ragtime2k] #2960705 03/26/20 01:36 PM
Ragtime2k Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for your reply smile

I'm checking...

Re: MP7SE - BIG questions about saving stuff... [Re: Ragtime2k] #2960708 03/26/20 01:42 PM
N
Nip Offline
N
They did it really nicely - you can restore single presets from factory ones - so no need to worry. So even overwriting Sound presets you can restore.

Start using Setup slots - if you didn't already - sound ones remains as they are. More settings on panel follow as well.

And don't forget your savior - own storage on usb. Make backups.

Kawai MP7SE - Hammond XK3c - Synthesizers
Re: MP7SE - BIG questions about saving stuff... [Re: Nip] #2960711 03/26/20 01:54 PM
Ragtime2k Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by dmd
#1 - No

#2 - Yes (Owners Manual 64-66)

ok, those are there pages where it says "the existing sound will be overwritten"

So apparently if I store a modified sound, it should replace the factory one...

Originally Posted by Nip
They did it really nicely - you can restore single presets from factory ones - so no need to worry. So even overwriting Sound presets you can restore.

Start using Setup slots - if you didn't already - sound ones remains as they are. More settings on panel follow as well.

And don't forget your savior - own storage on usb. Make backups.

good to know but... So far I don't have clear if a new"setup slot" would overwrite the old one

The USB thing seems useful, though I still have to figure it out

Re: MP7SE - BIG questions about saving stuff... [Re: Ragtime2k] #2960715 03/26/20 02:02 PM
Ragtime2k Offline OP
OP Offline
setup slots.... uhmmm

did I just found a bunch of empty ones?

MIDI master
MIDI layers
MIDI zones

...?

that's GOTTA be the solution! laugh

Re: MP7SE - BIG questions about saving stuff... [Re: Ragtime2k] #2960728 03/26/20 02:46 PM
N
Nip Offline
N
The ones on preset buttons are not the factory ones, just copies - you can overwrite.
And then restore from factory elsewhere that cannot be destroyed.
All very safe and well made.

usb - just stick a memory stick in there - and go to system menu and make backup of your own choices you made stored all over.

Setup slots are just different in that they store panel settings, layers you set up and so on.
Ready to use, like a performer on stage for a certain song etc.

I'm fond of doing piano with a slow swell on choirs etc - perfect for that kind of thing.

Kawai MP7SE - Hammond XK3c - Synthesizers
Re: MP7SE - BIG questions about saving stuff... [Re: Nip] #2960732 03/26/20 03:08 PM
Ragtime2k Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Nip
The ones on preset buttons are not the factory ones, just copies - you can overwrite.
ok, but if I overwrite one of them, I lose the original until I restore it, right?

I found out I can use the setup slots, instead:
thanks, that was a good suggestion smile
(I "would" owe you a statue, but... read the asterisk)

me, instead, I like to reproduce as faithfully as possible the original sound of an instrument. Now I'm working of some Fender Rhodes and they're coming out nice...

Good thing now I can save them too! laugh

Re: MP7SE - BIG questions about saving stuff... [Re: Ragtime2k] #2960738 03/26/20 03:26 PM
E
EVC2017 Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
ES8 has what they call "Registrations" where one can save modified versions of the sounds (with virtual technician) as well as splits, layers etc. The factory sounds are not changed (if one doesn't want them to be). And you can save these Registrations to a USB stick and restore them after a factory reset.

Doesn't MP7SE have something similar?

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
Re: MP7SE - BIG questions about saving stuff... [Re: Ragtime2k] #2960741 03/26/20 03:29 PM
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Ragtime2k
Originally Posted by Nip
ok, but if I overwrite one of them, I lose the original until I restore it, right?

I found out I can use the setup slots, instead:
thanks, that was a good suggestion smile
(I "would" owe you a statue, but... read the asterisk)

me, instead, I like to reproduce as faithfully as possible the original sound of an instrument. Now I'm working of some Fender Rhodes and they're coming out nice...

Good thing now I can save them too! laugh

My suggestion is that you hold off building things that you wish to keep until you have a clear understanding of how those preset sounds (storing, changing and saving) work.

Otherwise, you are likely to put in a lot of work and be disappointed when things do not work the way you "thought".

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used)
Re: MP7SE - BIG questions about saving stuff... [Re: Ragtime2k] #2960781 03/26/20 05:36 PM
Ragtime2k Offline OP
OP Offline
well... it does work with the setups, quite easily

I made a couple of Rhodes I can't stop playing with and... now I have them saved! wink

Originally Posted by EVC2017
Doesn't MP7SE have something similar?
apparently yes but they're called "setups"

thank you guys, it's a good starting point to understand how this thing works. I only have it since a few days but... I'm getting there smile

Re: MP7SE - BIG questions about saving stuff... [Re: Ragtime2k] #2960851 03/26/20 10:05 PM
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello Ragtime2k,

To answer your questions:

question 1: does it mean that, saving the new sound, I would lose the original "factory" sound?

Yes, storing a SOUND (when not in SETUP mode) will overwrite the settings associated with that sound.
However, these settings can be restored with a Factory Reset, or be resetting individual sounds as desired.

Finally, all the time I spent fine tuning parameters, in order to achieve the result I wanted, got lost because I was afraid that, hitting the "save" button, I would have overwritten (thus lost) the original preset.

question 2: is there a way to access some kind of "empty memory banks" where I can save new sounds and settings, yet keeping the original ones?

Switch to SETUP mode - there are hundreds of memory banks that can be used to store adjusted sounds.
Some of these SETUPs also include Kawai-created settings, however these can easily be overwritten, or restored.

question 3: there is a "factory reset" option: does that mean I can restore the piano to its original state, sounds, settings, and all, no matter what I changed?

Yes.

As others have suggested, I believe it's useful to spend some time experimenting with creating and storing SETUPs so that it becomes fluent and intuitive for you.

Best of luck!

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Re: MP7SE - BIG questions about saving stuff... [Re: Ragtime2k] #2960908 Yesterday at 05:45 AM
Ragtime2k Offline OP
OP Offline
thank you James smile

yes, I finally figured it out. The way to save custom setups is thru... the setup mode! laugh

and there is a lot of empty banks, so no problem at all.

besides, I don't particularly like the "Kawai-created settings", so that's more free banks available to overwrite...

I have to see how big, in term of byte, is a setup file once you save it in a memory stick.

If it is small enough to be sent by email, we could create an "MP7SE setup exchange network", thru this forum... who knows, it could be interesting. wink

Moderated by  Piano World 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pieces to learn or listen to during COVID-19 pandemic
by Tubbie0075 - 03/28/20 09:00 PM
Self-isolation
by MarieJ - 03/28/20 08:57 PM
Essential Services?
by malkin - 03/28/20 08:34 PM
Why are Kawai and Nord doing this?
by Almaviva - 03/28/20 06:53 PM
MP7SE vs S7 Pro vs Grandstage
by PeterGr - 03/28/20 05:39 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,751
Posts2,939,775
Members96,393
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission