2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
28 registered members (carlspost, 36251, AZNpiano, Almaviva, astrotoy, DreamPiano80, camperbc, Bill McKaig,RPT, 5 invisible), 295 guests, and 364 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tuning pins hard to turn, jumping many cents. #2958674 03/19/20 04:31 PM
J
James_C_L Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hey. I'm new to piano maintenance and was just wondering about this thing that is happening. I bought a used upright piano off a fella for dirt cheap that for the most part is in excellent condition. The tuning pins however do not seem to work like what i've seen in videos and so on. They're very stiff and require some real force to turn, and usually when they start turning they skip a few cents and sometimes make a loud squeaking/cracking noise. The strings have some buildup on them and i believe the piano spent the last 10 years unattended to on a beach front property. Thanks for any advice.

Noob
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Tuning pins hard to turn, jumping many cents. [Re: James_C_L] #2958719 03/19/20 09:55 PM
Maximillyan Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by James_C_L
.The tuning pins however do not seem to work like what i've seen in videos and so on. They're very stiff and require some real force to turn, and usually when they start turning they skip a few cents and sometimes make a loud squeaking/cracking noise..

we shall wanted see it's video too.

Re: Tuning pins hard to turn, jumping many cents. [Re: James_C_L] #2958740 03/19/20 11:21 PM
K
kpembrook Offline
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Hey. I'm new to piano maintenance and was just wondering about this thing that is happening. I bought a used upright piano off a fella for dirt cheap that for the most part is in excellent condition. The tuning pins however do not seem to work like what i've seen in videos and so on. They're very stiff and require some real force to turn, and usually when they start turning they skip a few cents and sometimes make a loud squeaking/cracking noise. The strings have some buildup on them and i believe the piano spent the last 10 years unattended to on a beach front property. Thanks for any advice.

Isn't that kinda like saying a car is in excellent shape except you can't turn left and the brakes don't work?

Almost certainly your piano cannot be tuned by an amateur following instructions on YouTube -- and perhaps even by a professional.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
Re: Tuning pins hard to turn, jumping many cents. [Re: James_C_L] #2958750 03/20/20 12:08 AM
L
Learux Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
A decade in a salty environment is bad for a vehicle, let alone a piano.

Consult an expert and see if it is salvageable.

Depending on year build and brand it might be done for.

Last edited by Learux; 03/20/20 12:08 AM.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T
Re: Tuning pins hard to turn, jumping many cents. [Re: James_C_L] #2958943 03/20/20 01:22 PM
Duaner Offline
Is there a wharf on the "beach-front-property" where she harboured for the past ten years?.....if there is (or even if there isn't) do yourself a favour and ".....set her adrift". You won't learn much from that sad forte except maybe what not to bring home the next time.

Last edited by Duaner; 03/20/20 01:23 PM.

Duane Graves

"Pushin 70...still haven fun I think..."
Re: Tuning pins hard to turn, jumping many cents. [Re: James_C_L] #2959155 03/21/20 05:34 AM
J
James_C_L Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Haha no. It was a beach front apartment. Perhaps the title was misleading. it doesn't have a problem staying in tune, it's just a !@#$% to get there.

Now somewhere during the pitch raise i had broken one of the higher up strings so i went ahead and restrung it. The pins on the restrung strings move very smoothly now. I thought maybe either the new string or the unwinding and rewinding of the pin a few turns had done the trick. To test it i sort unwound and rewound a string near the top of the piano and sure enough the pin is moving smooth as ever. I suppose it's possible i've just gone and stripped the pin board but i think it's okay. The new string is still in tune from days ago so it seems alright.

Thanks for the advice anyways :p

Noob
Re: Tuning pins hard to turn, jumping many cents. [Re: James_C_L] #2959171 03/21/20 07:08 AM
Beemer Offline
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Perhaps the strings are stuck on the felt?
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Re: Tuning pins hard to turn, jumping many cents. [Re: James_C_L] #2959176 03/21/20 07:56 AM
P
P W Grey Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Yes, if the wire rides over a decent amount of felt it will grip quite tenaciously to all the little bumps and divots from rust. PITN to tune. Lubrication on counter bearing and contact points will help.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
Re: Tuning pins hard to turn, jumping many cents. [Re: James_C_L] #2959275 03/21/20 01:28 PM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Jumping tuning pins are a problem with pianos that have been exposed to too much moisture. You might be able to turn them back and forth to make them smoother, but you may need to replace the pin block, which is probably more work than the piano is worth.

Semipro Tech
Re: Tuning pins hard to turn, jumping many cents. [Re: James_C_L] #2959388 03/21/20 10:34 PM
E
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
Some pianos come right from the factory with overtight, jumpy pins. What you did in lowering the pin a bit and bringing it back up is the exact procedure for solving the problem. One must avoid turning the pin too fast when doing this or the problem can get worse.

One can do this without restringing. It takes about four hours and then tune again in a few days.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Re: Tuning pins hard to turn, jumping many cents. [Re: James_C_L] #2959683 03/22/20 09:21 PM
T
TimM_980 Offline
T
Haha no. It was a beach front apartment. Perhaps the title was misleading. it doesn't have a problem staying in tune, it's just a !@#$% to get there.

Now somewhere during the pitch raise i had broken one of the higher up strings so i went ahead and restrung it. The pins on the restrung strings move very smoothly now. I thought maybe either the new string or the unwinding and rewinding of the pin a few turns had done the trick. To test it i sort unwound and rewound a string near the top of the piano and sure enough the pin is moving smooth as ever. I suppose it's possible i've just gone and stripped the pin board but i think it's okay. The new string is still in tune from days ago so it seems alright.

Thanks for the advice anyways :p

If the smooth pin is sticking out further than the tight ones you can hammer back in a bit to match the height of the other pins. That might help increase the torque.

If that doesn’t work, you can try getting a pin that has a larger diameter to replace the loose one if doesn’t hold pitch. One or two size up.

Here are two books you should try getting. YouTube videos can be unreliable sources of information sometimes.

Piano Servicing, Tuning, & Rebuilding: For the Professional, the Student, the Hobbyist
Pianos Inside and Out

Last edited by TimM_980; 03/22/20 09:23 PM.
Re: Tuning pins hard to turn, jumping many cents. [Re: TimM_980] #2959694 03/22/20 10:36 PM
K
kpembrook Offline
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by TimM_980
[
YouTube videos can be unreliable sources of information sometimes.

Piano Servicing, Tuning, & Rebuilding: For the Professional, the Student, the Hobbyist
Pianos Inside and Out

YouTube videos are almost always unreliable--either in presenting wrong information or not presenting enough information. And you, as a beginner, don't have the background to tell which is which. It is better to get authentic information from authentic sources such as the books mentioned above.

BTW The Piano Servicing, Tuning & Rebuilding book just came out in a 3rd edition with significant updates and improved graphics.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
Re: Tuning pins hard to turn, jumping many cents. [Re: James_C_L] #2960148 03/24/20 10:12 PM
J
James_C_L Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I guess everyone is still getting the wrong idea, neither the stuck pins or smooth pins have any problem holding tune. I was just wondering why the pins are grabbing the pin board so tightly in the first place and if there was anything i could do about it. My thumb joint still hurts a week later from all the wrench work and i'd hate to ever have to do this again.

Noob
Re: Tuning pins hard to turn, jumping many cents. [Re: James_C_L] #2960162 03/24/20 11:04 PM
T
TimM_980 Offline
T
What is the brand of the piano and serial number? With the serial number you can find out the age. This information can give us more insight into the piano you are working on.

Also what kind of wrench are you using? Is it a socket wrench?

Re: Tuning pins hard to turn, jumping many cents. [Re: James_C_L] #2960170 03/24/20 11:57 PM
B
BDB Offline
B
I replied with what I felt was most likely from your description, and Ed McMorrow replied with the other possibility. They both have to be dealt with in the same way. It is a lot of work. This job is not always easy. You got the piano cheap. The less money you pay, the more work you have to put into it.

Semipro Tech
Re: Tuning pins hard to turn, jumping many cents. [Re: BDB] #2960424 03/25/20 08:02 PM
Duaner Offline
Originally Posted by BDB
I replied with what I felt was most likely from your description, and Ed McMorrow replied with the other possibility. They both have to be dealt with in the same way. It is a lot of work. This job is not always easy. You got the piano cheap.
The less money you pay, the more work you have to put into it

[quote][/quote]

.....great point (in bold)

Duane Graves

"Pushin 70...still haven fun I think..."
Re: Tuning pins hard to turn, jumping many cents. [Re: James_C_L] #2960491 03/25/20 11:48 PM
J
James_C_L Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Whatever the case, the piano is in tune and it sounds great even with scummy strings.

I was using a little windy wrench thingy, you know that goes one way but not the other. I have a large tuning hammer now so i'll try that out soon to tighten up some of the unisons and i'll report back.

Noob
Re: Tuning pins hard to turn, jumping many cents. [Re: James_C_L] #2960508 03/26/20 01:15 AM
B
BDB Offline
B
You can ruin tuning pins by using a ratchet on them without the proper tip.

Semipro Tech
Re: Tuning pins hard to turn, jumping many cents. [Re: BDB] #2960512 03/26/20 01:52 AM
T
TimM_980 Offline
T
Originally Posted by BDB
You can ruin tuning pins by using a ratchet on them without the proper tip.

I think this is a lost cause.

Re: Tuning pins hard to turn, jumping many cents. [Re: James_C_L] #2960825 03/26/20 08:10 PM
L
LawsonK Offline
L
I've come across pianos like this in my travels.
I nickname them sticky pins or stuck pins that you have to get them past that crack sound before they actually do what they're told.
Just be careful of the strings and you should be right smile

Young with 10 years experience.
Trained by Albert.H.Fox
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pieces to learn or listen to during COVID-19 pandemic
by Tubbie0075 - 03/28/20 09:00 PM
Self-isolation
by MarieJ - 03/28/20 08:57 PM
Essential Services?
by malkin - 03/28/20 08:34 PM
Why are Kawai and Nord doing this?
by Almaviva - 03/28/20 06:53 PM
MP7SE vs S7 Pro vs Grandstage
by PeterGr - 03/28/20 05:39 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,751
Posts2,939,775
Members96,393
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission