2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
26 registered members (clothearednincompo, CharlesXX, Burkie, FrankCox, Eric399, astrotoy, BachToTheFuture, David B, 3 invisible), 458 guests, and 314 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Digital music displays—suggestions? #2959080 03/20/20 08:19 PM
AndyFielding Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey everybody,

Sorry if I'm duplicating an existing topic here. I looked around but didn't see one.

I've been computing since the '80s (where's my walker? [grumble]), but I'm still tied down with printed music pages—and I'd like to get with it here in the 21st century.

I'm prepared to convert most of my sheet music to PDFs. I'd also like to stop printing versions of my own music as I write and refine it, and do more playing and editing directly from my notation program (Sibelius).

My Windows laptop's display isn't practical for this. It's too small, and has the wrong orientation, and switching pages from its keyboard is too awkward. But a tablet computer would be overkill for me. I'd rather keep everything on my laptop (with prudent backups of course), and connect some kind of page-size flat display. I assume this would be considerably cheaper than obtaining a whole separate computer, too.

I'd also like to connect some kind of pedal unit to my laptop that I could program to switch music pages (in a PDF viewer or Sibelius, whichever I happened to be using).

This is possible now, right? If so, do you have any specific hardware recommendations?

Please keep in mind that I'm Windows-based, and don't know from i-stuff.

Thanks for your ideas!

P.S.: I've posted this in the Classical section, too, I understand many classical musicians and orchestras have already gone in this direction—but it also seemed that some non-classical people might be more generally tech-headed. Hope that makes sense. :?)

When people look at a tree, they look at the leaves. They don't look at the spaces between the leaves. – Keith Jarrett
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Digital music displays—suggestions? [Re: AndyFielding] #2959092 03/20/20 08:47 PM
L
Learux Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
A few of us use surface tablets. I think they work reasonably well.Screen can be a bit small.

There is several programs that you can use mobil sheets is what I prefer.

If you don't mind the bulkiness you can use a laptop that folds in half and has a touchscreen.

That is probably the most economical solution.

Ereaders I think is the way to go but all are hindered being just a tad small.

www.amazon.com/Sony-DPT-RP1-13-Digital-Paper/dp/B072DXXXN1

This latest model looks interesting but is pricey.(but will work good if you want to take a lot of notes, would be better if it was letter size)

https://remarkable.com/

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T
Re: Digital music displays—suggestions? [Re: AndyFielding] #2959183 03/21/20 08:52 AM
Beemer Offline
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
See my answer today over in your other post on Pianist Corner
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Re: Digital music displays—suggestions? [Re: Learux] #2959184 03/21/20 08:58 AM
Beemer Offline
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Learux
A few of us use surface tablets. I think they work reasonably well.Screen can be a bit small.

If you don't mind the bulkiness you can use a laptop that folds in half and has a touchscreen.

This latest model looks interesting but is pricey.(but will work good if you want to take a lot of notes, would be better if it was letter size)

Quote from a user on Amazon:
SONY The EULA - Sony very much oversteps with the EULA, disallowing opt out for data collection and providing themselves with permission to collect data not just from the Digital Paper itself but also from any device connected to the Digital Paper. The Digital Paper requires connection to a PC to operate (only way to load documents into the DP), meaning that Sony has effectively given itself permission to mine unspecified data from my PC and use it without any real restrictions, including expressly permitting themselves to share my data with unspecified third parties.
end quote.

Ian

Last edited by Beemer; 03/21/20 08:59 AM.

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Re: Digital music displays—suggestions? [Re: AndyFielding] #2959236 03/21/20 11:03 AM
L
Learux Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
This would be worth looking into seems far fetched.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T
Re: Digital music displays—suggestions? [Re: AndyFielding] #2959265 03/21/20 01:01 PM
A
AndyOnThePiano Offline
A
I use a laptop sat in a docking station behind my piano with a second monitor (24 inch) sat directly in front of me and slightly above my music stand,This means that I can use either 'old-skool' paper or PDF's without having to swap anything around. I have a remote BT keyboard to control the laptop so I don't have to reach over to it and a foot pedal.

I run Mobile Sheets Pro on the laptop for PDF and also have the free version on my tablet (a 10 inch Lenovo). My intention is to use the tablet when I'm out of the house (lessons etc), but I've not really used it yet. I'm thinking of maybe buying a 2-in-1 Windows laptop which will enable me to use the screen separately (like the Microsoft Surface).

I just finished building a four button USB foot pedal yesterday, which sits under my piano and allows me to control Mobile Sheets and a Transcription program (Transcribe !) which I use to slow down and loop backing MP3 tracks easily as I learn them and play along.

The foot pedal was 'self- isolation' project although in honesty I'd started it a bit before this all happened. There's a picture of it here.

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/galleries/2958803/foot-pedal-page-turner.html

It works by simulating key button presses on a remote keyboard. There's a few threads on here about similar solutions using BT keyboards etc.

I'd be a far better pianist if I spent the time I'm on this forum playing my piano instead.
Re: Digital music displays—suggestions? [Re: AndyOnThePiano] #2960556 03/26/20 06:31 AM
AndyFielding Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey guys—thanks for your replies!

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I'm already set for software (Sibelius for composing; PDF viewers for reading). And I'd rather use an external display I can connect to my laptop (e.g. HDMI), rather than investing in a separate computing device, like a tablet. (And maybe some people do use touchscreens for notation, but I think it'd drive me crazy!)

Hey, I didn't think about "e-paper" displays! Unfortunately, the devices you refer to are proprietary. You can see music PDFs on them, but you can't run software like Sibelius on them. Too bad—what could be a better type of display for notation than something that actually looked like ink on paper? laugh

Originally Posted by Beemer
Quote from a user on Amazon:
SONY The EULA - Sony very much oversteps with the EULA, disallowing opt out for data collection and providing themselves with permission to collect data not just from the Digital Paper itself but also from any device connected to the Digital Paper. The Digital Paper requires connection to a PC to operate (only way to load documents into the DP), meaning that Sony has effectively given itself permission to mine unspecified data from my PC and use it without any real restrictions, including expressly permitting themselves to share my data with unspecified third parties.
end quote.

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that the only way Sony could actually access your data would be if you gave the DP device permission to go online.

This is topic drift, but for what it's worth:

When my Sony e-reader finally pooped out, I found that Kindles were considered the best value. But I wanted to read e-books I already had, not buy more of them from Amazon... And I didn't want Amazon keeping track of everything I read, and so on.

Then I learned that you can put your own ebooks on Kindles (you just have to convert them to MOBI format, which is no big deal). And if you don't want to go online with them, you don't have to.

I've been enjoying my Kindle ever since. I've never taken it online. (I was even able to update its firmware manually, by downloading it to USB rather than over WiFi.) So unless Sony actually requires you to go online to use their DP device, it doesn't seem like too much to worry about.

Originally Posted by AndyOnThePiano
I use a laptop sat in a docking station behind my piano with a second monitor (24 inch) sat directly in front of me and slightly above my music stand,This means that I can use either 'old-skool' paper or PDF's without having to swap anything around...

A widescreen display also let you see two music pages at once, doesn't it—vs. just one page on a tablet?

BTW, rather than putting your monitor above your music stand (don't know about you, but that'd give me sore neck in no time), why not remove the monitor from its base, secure it to a music stand sturdy enough to support it, and place any printed pages you want to see in front of the monitor? I mean, it's flat, right? wink

I have a remote BT keyboard to control the laptop so I don't have to reach over to it and a foot pedal... I just finished building a four button USB foot pedal yesterday, which sits under my piano... The foot pedal was 'self- isolation' project although in honesty I'd started it a bit before this all happened. There's a picture of it here...

That's pretty cool!

Well, I just thought I should check with you to be sure I wasn't overlooking some specialized technology musicians might be using for this. For example, I understand most of the big orchestras have gone from music stands to display/pedal systems. And I assumed some of you had already made this transition.

But it seems like I can just look for a good-size, high-quality widescreen HDMI display—one that's sharp and clear enough to read music full-time without getting headaches and/or a stronger glasses prescription... Maybe the type people use for CAD drawing? Are there particular brands I should look into?

And one of these USB pedals you refer to... I'm not up to building my own, so where does one find something like that? Music stores? eBay?

Sorry to seem so clueless. As I mentioned, I've been computing a long time, but I've never seriously considered going totally digital with music till now. Thanks again for your input!

Last edited by AndyFielding; 03/26/20 06:32 AM.

When people look at a tree, they look at the leaves. They don't look at the spaces between the leaves. – Keith Jarrett
Re: Digital music displays—suggestions? [Re: AndyFielding] #2960588 03/26/20 08:38 AM
AndyFielding Offline OP
OP Offline
I had another thought about page-turning.

I think there are voice-recognition apps that can be programmed to send any key codes. So rather than resorting to a page pedal (which some people might find distracting while pedaling a piano, right?), voice commands can probably be used for any kind of document navigation.

They could be used to automate common notation actions, too, couldn't they? Wow—this could change everything.

Okay, I just wanted to sound dramatic. You know us artiste types. wink

Re: Digital music displays—suggestions? [Re: AndyFielding] #2960770 03/26/20 05:03 PM
A
AndyOnThePiano Offline
A
Thanks Andy.

My display is 24 inch and is nothing special, just a regular office quality monitor (less than $100) but is clear enough to easily read two sheets displayed side by side.

It's not mounted very high, although I know my description may have suggested that it was. It actually sits maybe a foot behind my music stand and is set up just high enough so that my line of sight allows me to just read the bottom line of the screen. I did think about recessing it into the stand itself for quite a while, which would be easy to do as my stand is substantial, wooden and very wide, but I figured that this would be more hassle as I'd have to remove all the paper stuff of my stand before I use the screen, and I typically have a lot of mess on my music stand.

Another alternative would be a touch screen, which would allow you to run Windows from the screen and you could probably even take notes directly on the screen.

There's plenty of page turners out there if you're not sad enough (like me) to make your own.

https://www.thomann.de/ie/airturn.html

The voice turner is probably a good idea if you can integrate it into the s/w.

I'd be a far better pianist if I spent the time I'm on this forum playing my piano instead.
Re: Digital music displays—suggestions? [Re: AndyOnThePiano] #2960792 03/26/20 06:09 PM
AndyFielding Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Andy... My display is 24 inch and is nothing special, just a regular office quality monitor (less than $100) but is clear enough to easily read two sheets displayed side by side...

That's encouraging! I have one downstairs that might even work. I'll let you know how it goes.

It's not mounted very high, although I know my description may have suggested that it was. It actually sits maybe a foot behind my music stand and is set up just high enough so that my line of sight allows me to just read the bottom line of the screen.
I did think about recessing it into the stand itself for quite a while, which would be easy to do as my stand is substantial, wooden and very wide, but I figured that this would be more hassle as I'd have to remove all the paper stuff of my stand before I use the screen, and I typically have a lot of mess on my music stand.

If it works well for you, that's all that matters. I just wondered if it'd occurred to you that it might not matter having everything in the same place.

Last night I actually had a vision of going out to the shop and building a stand so a monitor could sit flush in it. (The parts on either side wouldn't have to be solid wood; a few horizontal slats there would suffice.) But you beat me to it, mentioning it here.

Another alternative would be a touch screen, which would allow you to run Windows from the screen and you could probably even take notes directly on the screen.

I'm sure many people would find a touchscreen useful. I must admit, though, being such an old-school keyboard-'n'-mouse adherent, I've actually turned my laptop's touchscreen function off. (I haven't felt this way about phones, since we've always pushed things on them with our fingers.)

There's plenty of page turners out there if you're not sad enough (like me) to make your own.

(a.) Thanks for das Musikgeschäft in Deutschland—if we weren't in the midst of the COVID-19 scare, I'd probably talk my wife into it being a sufficient excuse to fly over there. It's one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited. smile

(b.) I have nothing but admiration for you, building your own pedal unit! Sorry if I gave you any other ideas. Having just finished remodeling our house—and learning everything along the way, often with hilarious results—I have nothing but respect for handy, imaginative people.

The voice turner is probably a good idea if you can integrate it into the s/w.

It'll be fun to try, at least. Being married, I'm so used to being ordered around, it'll be a novel experience telling something else what to do.

Indeed, with so many interesting things to do, it's hard deciding how to spend our time. Imagine, though—with a monitor in front of you, and voice-recognition software, we could dictate forum posts while playing music that didn't require sightreading! (I don't know how many of you improvise, but this would be a great opportunity to get into it.) I can't wait to try this.

After all, these days, it's not considered normal to do only one thing at a time. I've found that the less attention I pay to what I write, the more sense it makes. Look how sensible this topic has been—and the whole time, I've been dictating it into my phone while doing the laundry, vacuuming, and doing other more important, non-music-related things that enable me to stay married to a normal, non-creative person. Multitasking while practicing is a natural extension of this philosophy. You need priorities, right?

Re: Digital music displays—suggestions? [Re: AndyFielding] #2961055 03/27/20 05:32 PM
A
AndyOnThePiano Offline
A
Don't worry Andy, I didn't think for a moment that you were being critical. I was just laughing at my own geekyness. But I quite enjoy being a geek, and I'm better at it than I am the piano.

BTW- how's things in Vancouver ? I have a son working there at the moment (I live in Ireland). He's doing a year or two there after finishing his degree over here.

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recent Recordings - Music Conservatories
by Rhapsodyinblue - 04/01/20 12:04 AM
Best teachers in the U.S., redo
by Radio1ogy - 03/31/20 11:52 PM
Advice re pin block on 1928 upright
by Bren - 03/31/20 08:14 PM
Please don't ever watch this movie
by ebonykawai - 03/31/20 07:26 PM
rubato
by kyekye90 - 03/31/20 07:26 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,830
Posts2,940,766
Members96,432
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission