2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
39 registered members (Almaviva, David B, Chernobieff Piano, computerpro3, 36251, Dfrankjazz, DannyS, carlspost, 8 invisible), 276 guests, and 284 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yamaha M1 Console Piano #2960753 03/26/20 03:57 PM
J
justcandy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi everyone,

I found a Yamaha M1E for $2700 include matching seat, delivery, turning and 10 years warranty. The piano is in good condition. The seller says it's around 15 years, made in U.S. and been well maintained. But I found it online it's made in 1992. It's not Yamaha website so I'm not sure if it's correct. The serial no. is M1E T 159446. If anyone is an expert on this, could you let me know the correct manufacturer year? Thank you.

I found another Yamaha M1B for $2500 include matching seat and delivery with 3 or 5 years warranty. Seller says it's in mint condition made in 1986.

May I know your opinion if they are fair price? Or should I look for something else with this budget? Thank you so much for your opinion.

Last edited by justcandy; 03/26/20 03:59 PM.
(ad int) Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
Re: Yamaha M1 Console Piano [Re: justcandy] #2960788 03/26/20 05:52 PM
Carey Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by justcandy
Hi everyone,

I found a Yamaha M1E for $2700 include matching seat, delivery, turning and 10 years warranty. The piano is in good condition. The seller says it's around 15 years, made in U.S. and been well maintained. But I found it online it's made in 1992. It's not Yamaha website so I'm not sure if it's correct. The serial no. is M1E T 159446. If anyone is an expert on this, could you let me know the correct manufacturer year? Thank you.
I'm no expert, but I found a 1993 M1E for sale on the internet with a serial number starting with T179... and a 1989 model with a serial number staritng T123.... so it would appear that a T159446 would have been built in 1991 or 1992. The "T" means that the piano was built in Georgia, USA.

I found another Yamaha M1B for $2500 include matching seat and delivery with 3 or 5 years warranty. Seller says it's in mint condition made in 1986.
"Mint condition" means nothing. Any piano you are serious about purchasing should be checked out for you by an independent piano tech.

May I know your opinion if they are fair price? Or should I look for something else with this budget? Thank you so much for your opinion.
If both pianos are being sold be dealers, then the prices are too high..The dealer who told you the M1E is around 15 years old should be informed otherwise and perhaps he will be willing to lower the price significantly.

This 2009 PW Thread may be helpful

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/246012/19_year_old_Yamaha_M1B_a_good_.html

and this one from 2006

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/252720/yamaha-m1e.html

Last edited by Carey; 03/26/20 05:59 PM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Re: Yamaha M1 Console Piano [Re: justcandy] #2960790 03/26/20 06:01 PM
PianoWorksATL Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Go play the pianos/listen to the pianos. If you still like them, hire your own tech to inspect them and verify the condition. The tech can also identify any additional service the piano would need.

Yamaha's serial numbers actually do get quite confusing. The serial you provide does suggest 1992, built in Thomaston. There is actually another possibility that it is even older, but certainly not 15 years old. The piano could be fine, even good, but not a lot of confidence in the seller that is willing to tell you it is so much younger than it is. I'd be curious about that warranty, too.

The older M1B could certainly be good, too. 3 to 5 years warranty makes a lot more sense for a 30+ year old piano. As part of an inspection, be sure to check out the silk cords. Yamaha corrected a problem around then (but I do not recall exactly when), and the earlier silk cords break. That repair requires a good bit of labor.

We have an even older M1A from 1970, made in Japan. We serviced it, replaced all of the silk cords and a few odds and ends, and it is still a nice piano that we use as a loaner. I will say that 1970 M1A was better made, in my opinion, than the later M1's made in the US, but that they were still good starter pianos that were generally reliable.

I do recommend expanding your search. In comparing the used acoustic pianos within your budget vs. the new digital pianos in your budget, the digitals are good and not much risk. I respect your budget, I just don't get that excited about the pianos that tend to fall into that budget even when they are in good condition. I think that until you get to a more exciting acoustic piano, as a tool, the digitals are just better and without the maintenance cost of a 28+ year old console.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Re: Yamaha M1 Console Piano [Re: Carey] #2960950 Yesterday at 11:09 AM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Carey
Originally Posted by justcandy
Hi everyone,

I'm no expert, but I found a 1993 M1E for sale on the internet with a serial number starting with T179... and a 1989 model with a serial number staritng T123.... so it would appear that a T159446 would have been built in 1991 or 1992. The "T" means that the piano was built in Georgia, USA.

"Mint condition" means nothing. Any piano you are serious about purchasing should be checked out for you by an independent piano tech.

If both pianos are being sold be dealers, then the prices are too high..The dealer who told you the M1E is around 15 years old should be informed otherwise and perhaps he will be willing to lower the price significantly.

This 2009 PW Thread may be helpful

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/246012/19_year_old_Yamaha_M1B_a_good_.html

and this one from 2006

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/252720/yamaha-m1e.html

+1 thumb

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
“Send lawyers, guns, and money. The $hit has hit the fan.” Warren Zevon
[Linked Image]
Re: Yamaha M1 Console Piano [Re: Carey] #2961065 Yesterday at 06:07 PM
J
justcandy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi Carey,

Thank you for looking it up for the M1E pianos!

Now I see how the serial no. works. This is very helpful. So the M1E is definitely not a 15 year piano...

The two threads are helpful too. The first thread was selling the M1B built around 1990 for $1900, and that was back in 2009. So apparently the two pianos are overpriced...Thank you so much!

Re: Yamaha M1 Console Piano [Re: PianoWorksATL] #2961073 Yesterday at 06:37 PM
J
justcandy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi PianoWorksATL,

Thank you so much for all the information. They are very helpful!

Now I understand the M1E piano is at least 28 years, then it's a totally different story...

The M1B is actually made in Japan. Thanks for mentioning the silk cord issue and the suggestion of hiring my own piano technician. Now I understand it's important to check the real condition of the piano.

I agree with you on the digital piano suggestion! Actually digital piano was my original plan. I went to try some digital pianos, including YAMAHA CLP 525, YAMAHA CLP 625 that have hammer keys, but the keys still feel a lot lighter than a piano. I do feel CLP 525 key is a little heavier than the 625 which is strange. My most concern is that I want the same feeling of the keys as a piano. I used to practice on piano for years and more used to it. Do you have any suggestions on the digital pianos with heavier keys? Thank you.

Last edited by justcandy; Yesterday at 06:40 PM.
Re: Yamaha M1 Console Piano [Re: j&j] #2961077 Yesterday at 06:43 PM
J
justcandy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank you J&J!

Re: Yamaha M1 Console Piano [Re: justcandy] #2961085 Yesterday at 07:26 PM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Anytime justcandy. Don’t be in a big hurry to overspend on a piano just yet. There several piano dealers that are offering seriously discounted pianos by advance appointment and virtual store visits. Best Wishes.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
“Send lawyers, guns, and money. The $hit has hit the fan.” Warren Zevon
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pieces to learn or listen to during COVID-19 pandemic
by Tubbie0075 - 03/28/20 09:00 PM
Self-isolation
by MarieJ - 03/28/20 08:57 PM
Essential Services?
by malkin - 03/28/20 08:34 PM
Why are Kawai and Nord doing this?
by Almaviva - 03/28/20 06:53 PM
MP7SE vs S7 Pro vs Grandstage
by PeterGr - 03/28/20 05:39 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,751
Posts2,939,775
Members96,393
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission