2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
42 registered members (DannyS, David B, AZNpiano, DianeS, Charles Cohen, ambrozy, apianostudent, 8 invisible), 445 guests, and 333 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Webinar Thursday at 4PM Central - "Get to Know Your Piano" #2958438 03/18/20 05:25 PM
C
Chicago Pianos Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hello Piano World! I haven't posted in a loooong time but I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe. We are thrilled to have Don Mannino in our store tomorrow (Thursday, March 19th) to give a Facebook Live presentation called "Get to Know Your Piano". Here is the link to the Facebook event. https://www.facebook.com/events/3378330442182392

Please join the event and share the link with your piano friends, piano teachers, piano students, or anyone who you think might like to fill their toolbox with a little more knowledge. smile Here is the Facebook description of the event, hope you can join us! smile

Pianists, piano teachers and piano enthusiasts! This was originally scheduled as an event at our store but in light of the COVID-19 outbreak, we will be making it a Facebook Live event at 4PM Thursday. Please share and join us for this unique webinar!

Have you ever wondered what makes piano keys "stick"...or why some pianos have a better feel and sound than others? Can you name the major parts inside the instrument that has become such an important part of your life?

If you would like to know more about how the 12,000 parts behind those 88 keys come together to allow you to make beautiful music, this webinar will answer all those questions and give you an even greater appreciation for this incredibly complex piece of machinery. We will go live in this event at 4PM Central time, this Thursday, March 19th.

Pianoland owner John Cordogan and Registered Piano Technician Don Mannino will host the session, sharing:

* A brief history of the piano
* An overview of the important parts of the piano
* A discussion of tuning, action regulation and
hammer voicing
* Steps to keeping a piano playing at its best

About our guest speaker:
Don Mannino studied piano performance under Dr. Arthur Lambert at San Diego State University before beginning an apprenticeship in 1979 in a piano store and piano rebuilding shop. He then worked as an independent piano technician and piano rebuilder in the San Diego area. After coming to work for Kawai Pianos in 1995 as the manager of technical support, he now serves as the Director of Field Services for Shigeru Kawai Pianos in North America. In 2010 he was certified in Japan as a Kawai "Master Piano Artisan" (or MPA), the Kawai company’s highest level of concert piano technician. In July 2018 Mr. Mannino was awarded the Piano Technicians Guild’s highest honor, the "Golden Tuning Hammer” award.

John & Diane Cordogan
Cordogan's Pianoland
Midwest's Largest Piano Store
Family Owned Since 1950
www.chicagopianos.com
630-584-5000

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Chicago Pianos; 03/18/20 05:31 PM.

John Cordogan
www.chicagopianos.com
(ad int) Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
Re: Webinar Thursday at 4PM Central - "Get to Know Your Piano" [Re: Chicago Pianos] #2958498 03/18/20 08:56 PM
M
MarkL Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I live right down the street and bought my piano from you. I didn't know about this so thanks for posting, I'll tune in tomorrow.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
Re: Webinar Thursday at 4PM Central - "Get to Know Your Piano" [Re: Chicago Pianos] #2958507 03/18/20 10:08 PM
S
supersport Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Would it be possible for this to be recorded to view later?

David

Re: Webinar Thursday at 4PM Central - "Get to Know Your Piano" [Re: supersport] #2958591 03/19/20 08:59 AM
M
MarkL Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by supersport
Would it be possible for this to be recorded to view later?

By default Facebook Live streams become videos that are posted to the facebook page of the streamer. So you should be able to view the video anytime after the event takes place on Cordogan's facebook page. It's possible that Cordogan could choose to delete the video, just like they could delete any other post on their page, but unless there are some kind of copyright or permission issues, I wouldn't expect they would do that. Facebook is also struggling technically to keep up with the increased load due to people staying home, so be prepared for some bumps in the road.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
Re: Webinar Thursday at 4PM Central - "Get to Know Your Piano" [Re: MarkL] #2958619 03/19/20 12:09 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks Mark and hello! Hope you're enjoying your piano! smile We hosted a Piano Technicians Guild FB Live meeting Tuesday night and the sound/video quality & stream were great so we're optimistic it will go smoothly. I really don't know if we'll be able to continue to make the video accessible because the content isn't completely ours, but we'll see. I have seen Don Mannino's presentation and I'm confident everyone will find all of it very informative...and parts of it fascinating! Stay safe and healthy. Hope to "see" many of you today at 4PM central time on FB Live!

John Cordogan
www.chicagopianos.com
Re: Webinar Thursday at 4PM Central - "Get to Know Your Piano" [Re: Chicago Pianos] #2959870 03/23/20 04:13 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Just wanted to let everyone know that we are leaving the video on our page for now so we hope you have a chance to check it out! I'm confident you will find it to be interesting and educational! Stay safe, healthy and happy!

https://www.facebook.com/chicagopianos/videos/810568356132212

[Linked Image]

John Cordogan
www.chicagopianos.com
Re: Webinar Thursday at 4PM Central - "Get to Know Your Piano" [Re: Chicago Pianos] #2959894 03/23/20 06:03 PM
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hey John Cordogan!

I haven't seen you around these parts in a while. Welcome back!

Don Mannino should be fabulous! I have sat in on some of his classes at the PTG and he ought to be entertaining as well as passing on some good information. Please give my best to Diane.

Cheers,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Philadelphia, King of Prussia, and Cherry Hill, NJ
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/CunninghamPiano
Re: Webinar Thursday at 4PM Central - "Get to Know Your Piano" [Re: Chicago Pianos] #2959936 03/23/20 09:34 PM
S
supersport Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Thank you very much, so many people have some extra hours to fill right now.

David

Re: Webinar Thursday at 4PM Central - "Get to Know Your Piano" [Re: Chicago Pianos] #2960030 03/24/20 11:12 AM
J
Jethro Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Chicago Pianos
Just wanted to let everyone know that we are leaving the video on our page for now so we hope you have a chance to check it out! I'm confident you will find it to be interesting and educational! Stay safe, healthy and happy!

https://www.facebook.com/chicagopianos/videos/810568356132212

[Linked Image]

Thank you! Wanted to attend but was at work. I will watch the video it should be very interesting.

Working on:

Bach/Busoni Chaconne in D minor BWV 1004
Chopin: G Minor Ballade
Schumann/Liszt Widmung

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Kawai VPC-1
Re: Webinar Thursday at 4PM Central - "Get to Know Your Piano" [Re: Rich Galassini] #2960062 03/24/20 01:45 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Hi Rich! Thanks for the shout out! "10,000 post club"?! Guess I'm just a tad behind.😂 Hope the Galassini & Cunningham Piano family is staying stay, healthy and happy.

John Cordogan
www.chicagopianos.com
Re: Webinar Thursday at 4PM Central - "Get to Know Your Piano" [Re: Jethro] #2960066 03/24/20 02:02 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Hello Jethro...and all the Shigeru owners out there! I would also like to direct you to this link...

https://www.facebook.com/ptgchicago/videos/625682964645217/

It's a FB Live video from last Tuesday at our store for the Chicago chapter of the Piano Technicians Guild's about hammer voicing. Most of you know Don Mannino's technical credentials. As Kawai / Shigeru Kawai's only MPA (Master Piano Artisan) in the U.S., his knowledge of Shigeru Kawai's is unmatched, and in this video he discusses the art of voicing. Although it is largely geared toward Shigeru Kawai pianos, much of his knowledge and techniques are applicable to other brands. Pianists and piano enthusiasts will find the science and artistic craft behind this process fascinating! Hope you enjoy.

John Cordogan
www.chicagopianos.com
Re: Webinar Thursday at 4PM Central - "Get to Know Your Piano" [Re: Chicago Pianos] #2960070 03/24/20 02:25 PM
J
Jethro Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
J
Hello Jethro...and all the Shigeru owners out there! I would also like to direct you to this link...

https://www.facebook.com/ptgchicago/videos/625682964645217/

It's a FB Live video from last Tuesday at our store for the Chicago chapter of the Piano Technicians Guild's about hammer voicing. Most of you know Don Mannino's technical credentials. As Kawai / Shigeru Kawai's only MPA (Master Piano Artisan) in the U.S., his knowledge of Shigeru Kawai's is unmatched, and in this video he discusses the art of voicing. Although it is largely geared toward Shigeru Kawai pianos, much of his knowledge and techniques are applicable to other brands. Pianists and piano enthusiasts will find the science and artistic craft behind this process fascinating! Hope you enjoy.

Thank you. I'm at work right now but this is great! I'd like to know more about my Shigeru and pianos in general. I can't wait to listen to this webinar. I just had my Shigeru MPA visit a month ago and it is was time very well spent on my piano. How much do you think it cost them to fly these MPA's across the world to do these visits? It must be quite a bit.

Also hope to have more of a presence of Shigeru Kawai dealer on these boards. Most feel this piano brand doesn't get enough attention so hope to see you around.

Last edited by Jethro; 03/24/20 02:30 PM.

Working on:

Schumann/Liszt Widmung

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Kawai VPC-1
Re: Webinar Thursday at 4PM Central - "Get to Know Your Piano" [Re: Chicago Pianos] #2960524 03/26/20 03:11 AM
C
OP Offline
C
I don't really know how much it costs. I can only say I know it's worth it. As good as some of the best technicians are out there, after having been in the business for 35 years, I'm still always blown away at the improved tone colors, consistency, artistry – when an MPA is done with a Shigeru Kawai. In Don's video, you get a more than just a glimpse at what they're listening for and what they do to a piano to achieve their goal. Wear good headphones when you watch / listen, so you can hear the nuances of the changes made to the tone during hammer voicing. It's actually audible in the recording and it's pretty amazing.

John Cordogan
www.chicagopianos.com
Re: Webinar Thursday at 4PM Central - "Get to Know Your Piano" [Re: Chicago Pianos] #2960766 03/26/20 04:53 PM
J
Jethro Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
J
I don't really know how much it costs. I can only say I know it's worth it. As good as some of the best technicians are out there, after having been in the business for 35 years, I'm still always blown away at the improved tone colors, consistency, artistry – when an MPA is done with a Shigeru Kawai. In Don's video, you get a more than just a glimpse at what they're listening for and what they do to a piano to achieve their goal. Wear good headphones when you watch / listen, so you can hear the nuances of the changes made to the tone during hammer voicing. It's actually audible in the recording and it's pretty amazing.

Yes, the technician who is currently tuning my piano wants to learn more about the Shigeru line and he said he will research the piano to know more about voicing it. This video is going to be an excellent start so I hope you keep it available as a reference tool. Don Mannino does an excellent job demonstrating how to voice a hammer (specifically Shigeru) so I'm going to email the link to my technician.

Working on:

Schumann/Liszt Widmung

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Kawai VPC-1

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advice re pin block on 1928 upright
by Bren - 03/31/20 08:14 PM
Please don't ever watch this movie
by ebonykawai - 03/31/20 07:26 PM
rubato
by kyekye90 - 03/31/20 07:26 PM
Hercules DG300B and the K&M Tablet PC Holder 19791.
by Palmpirate - 03/31/20 06:38 PM
Knight Rupert is now my darkest nightmare
by ebonykawai - 03/31/20 06:30 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,828
Posts2,940,747
Members96,432
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission