2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
41 registered members (camperbc, 36251, cmb13, 20/20 Vision, David B, Boboulus, Beowulf, carlspost, 9 invisible), 308 guests, and 403 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Age-related coordination disorders between the hands #2956645 03/12/20 12:51 PM
N
Nahum Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
N
Which of the teachers and professional pianists has encountered this phenomenon? This means that some acquired coordination skills (not all) disappear on their own, and then the dominant hand imposes to another hand sequence of movements on the fingering and intervals. In such a situation, a separate work on part of each hand simply does not help.

Last edited by Nahum; 03/12/20 12:51 PM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Age-related coordination disorders between the hands [Re: Nahum] #2956852 03/13/20 10:26 AM
T
TimR Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
I don't know if this is related or not, but weird things happen in my brain with the coordination between muscle memory and audiation.

Most of my practice and playing is on trombone. Due to some hand and wrist pain issues I've been playing an alto trombone recently. It's considerably lighter to hold up. However the fundamental pitch is Eb rather than Bb, a fourth higher, so I play the same notes but with a different position/fingering.

On brass instruments you must audiate a note internally before playing it - and I find this very difficult to do. If I'm going to play a middle C, for example, and have a Bb tenor in my hand, I can think that note or sing that note spot on before playing. With the Eb alto in my hand, much of that skill disappears. I also find playing scales difficult, probably related, because I lose my place.

Why I think this might be relevant to your question is that I played left handed one year after a shoulder injury, and the same thing happened, though to a less extent.

gotta go practice
Re: Age-related coordination disorders between the hands [Re: Nahum] #2956884 03/13/20 12:56 PM
N
Nahum Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
N
TimR , thanks for the feedback! What you write is familiar to me from the period when, after 5 years of playing the violin, I began to master playing the viola by printed notes with key C . The problem of studying transposition is well known: I see note B on the midline, I think C is half a tone up and an octave down. Of course, this greatly slows down the reading of notes; however, do not despair, but become a maniac of reading notes; much more than is required directly for work (i.e. do not feed the dogs just before going hunting). In addition, I myself learned to play the alto saxophone, also by notes (and even very serious: Concerto for Jazz Band & Symphony Orchestra by Rolf Liebermann - dodecaphonic music). The situation was such that I read music much better than mine instrumental technique. Of course, the study of transposition after the age of 50 is slower than in my 33 years at that time.
All the same, I do not see a connection with the idea of ​​OP: the disorder of the trained mechanism for coordinating playing movements, which is unlikely to be associated with a deterioration in sight or external hearing. I suppose that the age-related process of memory decline refers to different types of memory, but to a different degree.

Re: Age-related coordination disorders between the hands [Re: Nahum] #2960541 03/26/20 05:37 AM
N
Nahum Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
N
To be more specific: at this stage, each addition of the other hand part , even in two hand arpeggios, causes immediate uncontrolled misses in the first-hand part; and this happens in both directions; no matter how much time was spent on each hand. At a young age, this simply did not exist. After many trials, I came across a complex type of coordination - instead of the usual ping- pong glance , view I constantly look at only one hand, while simultaneously imagining the movements of the other in the brain. So to speak, multi-look. It helps, but for me as an aphant , it is unfamiliar and very difficult , which requires tremendous effort.
Who knows this?

Re: Age-related coordination disorders between the hands [Re: Nahum] #2960716 03/26/20 02:05 PM
T
TimR Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Then another thought based on the looking.

Have you tried a mirror? I've been told that for phantom limb pain, working in a mirror can help retrain the brain to accept the missing hand, just thinking that the mental process might be similar for your issue.

gotta go practice
Re: Age-related coordination disorders between the hands [Re: TimR] #2960733 03/26/20 03:14 PM
N
Nahum Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by TimR

Have you tried a mirror? I've been told that for phantom limb pain, working in a mirror can help retrain the brain to accept the missing hand, just thinking that the mental process might be similar for your issue.
This works for me as follows: playing with both hands, I focus on the reflection in the mirror of my left hand (the right is the leading one in accuracy). The left hand misses, but if I imagine it movements in my head at the same time, then the best result comes out.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pieces to learn or listen to during COVID-19 pandemic
by Tubbie0075 - 03/28/20 09:00 PM
Self-isolation
by MarieJ - 03/28/20 08:57 PM
Essential Services?
by malkin - 03/28/20 08:34 PM
Why are Kawai and Nord doing this?
by Almaviva - 03/28/20 06:53 PM
MP7SE vs S7 Pro vs Grandstage
by PeterGr - 03/28/20 05:39 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,751
Posts2,939,763
Members96,393
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission