2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
30 registered members (DannyS, carlspost, 36251, AZNpiano, Almaviva, astrotoy, camperbc, Bill McKaig,RPT, 6 invisible), 295 guests, and 353 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Soundboard shape and size [Re: j&j] #2960109 03/24/20 07:06 PM
L
Lady Bird Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by j&j
Steve,
Thank you for reminding me. About 7 years ago, while piano shopping, I did get a chance to play a Bosendorfer. I fell in love. The owner of the store came up and explained about the rim and all the spruce components actively producing the sound. The sound was gorgeous and I could feel the piano’s voice “vibrations” in my fingers, hands, wrists, torso and feet.

It was a wonderful experience, but sadly way above my pay grade. I have never played or felt a more responsive piano than that Bosendorfer.

Well what more is there ? That is enough surely ? So I do not really understand?

Last edited by Lady Bird; 03/24/20 07:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
(ad int) Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
Re: Soundboard shape and size [Re: PianoWorksATL] #2960137 03/24/20 09:38 PM
D
DreamPiano80 Online Content
Online Content
D
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
DreamPiano80,

Your question is related, but takes this old thread in a different direction. My suggestion is to pose the question in a new thread.

Thanks! I'll start a new thread for that question.

Re: Soundboard shape and size [Re: Learux] #2960223 03/25/20 08:54 AM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Learux
You can analyze all you want, when I play on a Bosendorfer I know I like the sound and touch very very much.

I’ve only played two Bösendorfer grands in my life, for much too short a time on each occasion. I love both the sound and the feel. 3hearts
Because of where I live in the US, I haven’t gotten the chance to try many other great European makers like Bechstein, Blüthner, Sauter, or Steingraeber. I’ve only tried Bösendorfer, Schimmel, Estonia (only one which I purchased), and Petrof (my friends that wasn’t for sale). I guess analysis of what makes a Bosendorfer sound and feel like it does is useful. The only way I can describe it is when I’m playing a Bosie , it feels as if the whole piano is responding and singing as I play. It reminds me of riding my horse when we would canter down the trail. I could feel his breathing and response to my cues.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
“Send lawyers, guns, and money. The $hit has hit the fan.” Warren Zevon
[Linked Image]
Re: Soundboard shape and size [Re: j&j] #2960276 03/25/20 12:08 PM
PianoWorksATL Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
The only way I can describe it is when I’m playing a Bosie, it feels as if the whole piano is responding and singing as I play. It reminds me of riding my horse when we would canter down the trail. I could feel his breathing and response to my cues.
3hearts I love that description. I've had customers describe the sound like going from stereo to surround sound. And often, we talk about the relationship between the tool and the pianist...some great pianos are like very sharp knives in the hand of a trained chef, and it is the skill that shapes the music. However, the analogy I used is that the Bösendorfer is like a well trained dance partner, that if you lead, it knows where to go.

Per this discussion, I would propose that Bösendorfer's rim means more to its soundboard design than with any other current maker.

With a laminated rim construction, the rim certainly affects the design of the soundboard, but makers like Schimmel & Kawai have demonstrated their designs substituting plexiglass for wood rims altogether. Having experienced the plexiglass Schimmels, the performance is objectively better...wider dynamic range, flatter sustain while maintaining an excellent tonal range vs. the identical instrument in wood. For that design, the added density of the plexiglass is the obvious factor.

With a less dense laminated rim, both the soundboard and string scale would be optimized differently to achieve wider dynamic range and flatter sustain. Anecdotally, it does seem to me that with a laminated rim, denser rims have an advantage in producing more (or a greater percentage) of the fundamental tone. I see many examples of this, but you can never isolate the one variable with so many other variables.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Re: Soundboard shape and size [Re: Hermerik] #2960375 03/25/20 05:35 PM
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
4000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
4000 Post Club Member
I've mentioned this before, but the piano by which I measure all others is an old Bösie! It's in the choir room at my hometown church. I love it.

And still I dream she'll come to me
That we will live the years together
But there are dreams that cannot be
And there are storms we cannot weather
Re: Soundboard shape and size [Re: PianoWorksATL] #2960427 03/25/20 08:06 PM
L
Lady Bird Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by j&j
The only way I can describe it is when I’m playing a Bosie, it feels as if the whole piano is responding and singing as I play. It reminds me of riding my horse when we would canter down the trail. I could feel his breathing and response to my cues.
3hearts I love that description. I've had customers describe the sound like going from stereo to surround sound. And often, we talk about the relationship between the tool and the pianist...some great pianos are like very sharp knives in the hand of a trained chef, and it is the skill that shapes the music. However, the analogy I used is that the Bösendorfer is like a well trained dance partner, that if you lead, it knows where to go.

Per this discussion, I would propose that Bösendorfer's rim means more to its soundboard design than with any other current maker.

With a laminated rim construction, the rim certainly affects the design of the soundboard, but makers like Schimmel & Kawai have demonstrated their designs substituting plexiglass for wood rims altogether. Having experienced the plexiglass Schimmels, the performance is objectively better...wider dynamic range, flatter sustain while maintaining an excellent tonal range vs. the identical instrument in wood. For that design, the added density of the plexiglass is the obvious factor.

With a less dense laminated rim, both the soundboard and string scale would be optimized differently to achieve wider dynamic range and flatter sustain. Anecdotally, it does seem to me that with a laminated rim, denser rims have an advantage in producing more (or a greater percentage) of the fundamental tone. I see many examples of this, but you can never isolate the one variable with so many other variables.

PianoWorks ATL
What do you mean by a "flatter sustain" ?
I like a good sustain even a "rather lively one ".,What I do not like is if the decay of sound is sudden.
Although I do not think anyone wants that.

Re: Soundboard shape and size [Re: PianoWorksATL] #2960545 03/26/20 05:43 AM
G
gwing Offline
G

There might be another explanation. Perhaps the plexiglass version is better and clearer because the plexiglass is not only denser but vibrates and transmits sound much less than wood, which is why it was used by some high quality hi-fi turntables. Thefore we might suspect that a plexiglass rim would contribute less to the overall sound and let the dynamics of the soundboard stand out for themselves. Maybe.

I find it difficult to believe that any sort of wide band or even sound production from a rib can be achieved. It will have frequencies at which it resonates and reinforces the overall sound so maybe careful choice of heavier materials that resonate at lower frequencies will benefit (some of) the lower notes where the soundboard response is rolling off, but I doubt very much if there is any improved dynamic range or flatter sustain generally, only for the notes where the rim might resonate.

Re: Soundboard shape and size [Re: gwing] #2960697 03/26/20 01:11 PM
PianoWorksATL Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
PianoWorks ATL
What do you mean by a "flatter sustain" ?
I like a good sustain even a "rather lively one ".,What I do not like is if the decay of sound is sudden.
Although I do not think anyone wants that.
By flatter sustain, I mean that the sustain decays less after the initial attack. Many pianos have a strong attack, but the initial decay is very strong, such that the long sustain is at a much more quiet level. Bösendorfer seeks to have their sustain to be of a flatter level, more like the sound of a bow across a stringed instrument. This gives the pianist more control over the overall expression.

Originally Posted by gwing
There might be another explanation. Perhaps the plexiglass version is better and clearer because the plexiglass is not only denser but vibrates and transmits sound much less than wood, which is why it was used by some high quality hi-fi turntables. Thefore we might suspect that a plexiglass rim would contribute less to the overall sound and let the dynamics of the soundboard stand out for themselves. Maybe.
This discussion echoes another thread about sound barriers. If the rim is designed to be very dense, then less of the sound is transmitted to the rim. In simple terms, more of the vibration energy is reflected back to the soundboard from the edges. But the soundboard and string scale have to be designed around this. In the case of the turntable, the density is isolating the vibrations on the turntable.

Originally Posted by gwing
I find it difficult to believe that any sort of wide band or even sound production from a rib can be achieved. It will have frequencies at which it resonates and reinforces the overall sound so maybe careful choice of heavier materials that resonate at lower frequencies will benefit (some of) the lower notes where the soundboard response is rolling off, but I doubt very much if there is any improved dynamic range or flatter sustain generally, only for the notes where the rim might resonate.
I'm not sure if you meant "rib" or "rim". I'll presume rim. You can design around a less dense rim in several ways by changing the shape of the soundboard and the string scale. Perhaps one with less crown and higher tension (or lower wire gauges and less tension) will pair better with a less dense rim. Crown and downbearing make the soundboard behave under stress. You can instead design a soundboard that operates under different forces, and I safely presume that the rim and rim connection would be optimized differently.

Bösendorfer speaks about the resonating box principle. If the soundboard on a laminated rim works similarly to the head of a drum, the rim construction of the drum (laminated wood or other materials) has some affect on the tone. But in the resonant box principle is what guides the construction of a violin or cello...the rim is an extension of the soundboard.

Because these are simplified explanations, the details make the result. Bösendorfer's methods make their design work. Using a laminated rim as a design platform can be executed better or worse, depending on the goals of the manufacturer. You can successfully make a laminated rim out of maple, beech, birch, oak, plexiglass, etc.). You can make it beautifully, or you can mass-produce it and the results will vary.

But if any maker tried to take a shortcut in the steps that make a Bösendorfer soundboard & rim construction, the result would automatically be poor. Bösendorfer's methods, including how they cut, season and dry the wood, make it an all-or-nothing result. Though there used to be other makers that employed this type of construction in Europe, there will never be a copy or "knock-off" of a Bösendorfer. There are no shortcuts.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Re: Soundboard shape and size [Re: PianoWorksATL] #2961092 Yesterday at 07:39 PM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I guess it’s the no shortcuts that make Bösendorfers so expensive.

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
Re: Soundboard shape and size [Re: Hermerik] #2961131 Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Chernobieff Piano Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
There is so much bad information regarding piano design/acoustics here I almost don't where to begin. I understand completely if someone likes the Bosendorfers (and I've played on a few nice ones) but to perpetuate their resonant box theory is a little over the top.

This was stated:
"Bösendorfer speaks about the resonating box principle. If the soundboard on a laminated rim works similarly to the head of a drum, the rim construction of the drum (laminated wood or other materials) has some affect on the tone. But in the resonant box principle is what guides the construction of a violin or cello...the rim is an extension of the soundboard"

So lets just use some simple common sense here. EVERY instrument that IS based on an resonant box has a trait in common. ITS a thin walled Box. The violin for example the back is a thin walled piece of maple behaving as a membrane.
Lets compare that to a Bosey. A membrane on top, and on the bottom - a massive criss cross beam structure. One would have an easier time in court proving its meant NOT to resonate.

Both the laminated rim and the Bosey style of rim are both behaving as drums. They're just built differently and each offers its own tonal spectrum.
-chris

Chernobieff Piano Restorations
Lenoir City, Tennessee U.S.A
www.chernobieffpiano.com
grandpianoman@protonmail.com
Re: Soundboard shape and size [Re: Hermerik] #2961138 22 hours ago
E
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
The "newer" Bosendorfer scale designs have laminated rims. (I am talking about the 5'8" and 6'7" and newest 9' models compared to the older 7' foot and two 9' and 9'6" models).

So evidently Bosendorfer doesn't think the pieced up spruce rim used in the good old days of Ignats and Ludwig Bosendorfer is vital for the entire brand.

I think the old rims were kept in place because they couldn't afford to invest in converting the old scales to laminated rim construction. And the sales department had to generate a "reason" to explain the inconsistency.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Re: Soundboard shape and size [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT] #2961212 13 hours ago
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I’ll ask again for perhaps an explanation for an amateur. I played a 6’7” in 2012 and the newer 214 VC Bösendorfer in 2019. Both pianos gave me the feeling that the whole piano was responding to my playing. I was told when I tried them about the special rim design. What gives those pianos the feeling that the whole piano is responding and resonating with my playing? The laminated spruce rim? The scale design with the laminated spruce rim?

Last edited by j&j; 13 hours ago.

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
Re: Soundboard shape and size [Re: Chernobieff Piano] #2961213 13 hours ago
R
Roy123 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Chernobieff Piano
John,
I like where your going with this, but i think Ash has the highest strength to weight ratio of the hardwoods if i remember correctly. Great to work with too, machines very well.

Kurtmen,

My philosophy is simple. To learn all the different prevailing ideas( past and present) in piano technology (soundboards specifically) challenge the ones that are false, agree with the ones that are true ( for confirmation) learn of the current trends, to be well rounded. So i am absorbing what is useful and discarding the rest. It's my "Jeet Kune Do".
I've been talking flexibility in soundboards for years and everyone else talks only about stiffness like its an automatic reaction. Yet they never mention about too much stiffness. If i'm lucky and press them hard enough then i get the "impedance matching" thing. That's been the jist of conversations of the past 2 years. But all that theory stuff is fine, but i never hear any practical ways to pull that off. It just sounds like hit or miss and trying to sound intelligent while guessing.
So, care to throw in what you think the variables and degrees are? So when in the shop hovering over a newly installed soundboard, how do you know if its too stiff? Or too flexible? Where is the balance point?
-chris

Stiffness and flexibility are 2 ways to express the identical thing. Mathematically, they are just the reciprocal of each other.

Re: Soundboard shape and size [Re: Hermerik] #2961385 3 hours ago
Chernobieff Piano Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Roy 123,

You missed the point. Other rebuilders seem to be "focused" on just Stiffness. Almost as if the more the merrier. What I'm saying by throwing flexibility into the conversation is to say that there are limits. The purpose of scalloping is to induce flexibility and to adjust and center the driving point under the bridge (no one else does this but that is its purpose) Most boards I have studied exhibit too much mass. And trying to gain stiffness via mass acoustically has a high price to pay in the form of added weight. Then trying to solve the weight problem, the size of the board is reduced. And on and on down the designer rabbit hole until the end product resembles a Bongo Drum instead of a Timpani Drum. Nothing against Bongo Drums. The resonance I am achieving right now is ten fold what i was getting a year ago. And that makes me happy.
-chris

Chernobieff Piano Restorations
Lenoir City, Tennessee U.S.A
www.chernobieffpiano.com
grandpianoman@protonmail.com
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pieces to learn or listen to during COVID-19 pandemic
by Tubbie0075 - 03/28/20 09:00 PM
Self-isolation
by MarieJ - 03/28/20 08:57 PM
Essential Services?
by malkin - 03/28/20 08:34 PM
Why are Kawai and Nord doing this?
by Almaviva - 03/28/20 06:53 PM
MP7SE vs S7 Pro vs Grandstage
by PeterGr - 03/28/20 05:39 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,751
Posts2,939,775
Members96,393
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission