2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
33 registered members (Chernobieff Piano, cameronkkk, 36251, Almaviva, David B, computerpro3, Dfrankjazz, 7 invisible), 280 guests, and 322 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Pianoteq 6.6 Bechstein audio Samples [Re: EssBrace] #2960299 03/25/20 01:01 PM
MacMacMac Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Does this mean it's time for me to try Pianoteq once again?
Originally Posted by EssBrace
I've just acquired a used Kawai VPC1 and I reluctantly resigned myself to having to slum it with PianoTeq (which I very rarely play because there's something difficult to define that I just couldn't get along with on all PianoTeq sounds).

I updated to 6.7 and thought, sod it, in homage to my grand piano I'll buy the new PT Bechstein model. I listened to all the available PT demos and thought it sounded the best to me. The Steingraber is second best to my ears.
Is 6.7 a real improvement over whatever 6.x I tried in demo?

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods, and more!
Re: Pianoteq 6.6 Bechstein audio Samples [Re: MacMacMac] #2960300 03/25/20 01:10 PM
E
EssBrace Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Does this mean it's time for me to try Pianoteq once again?

Is 6.7 a real improvement over whatever 6.x I tried in demo?

Go on, give it a go Mac.

I'd say the thing that has made the difference for me is the Bechstein model, not the move to 6.7. If you've already tried the Bechstein and didn't like it I'm not sure what (if any) difference you'll notice. Because it's ages since I've played PianoTeq I'm not well versed in what the more recent revisions to the basic software actually mean in practice. But the Bechstein model is useable for me (especially 'player position'). It's not perfect and I can tell it's PianoTeq but I'm enjoying it.

C. Bechstein Model B | Roland RD-1000 | Kawai VPC1
Re: Pianoteq 6.6 Bechstein audio Samples [Re: Mta88] #2960301 03/25/20 01:20 PM
E
EPW Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
E
It's not perfect and I can tell it's PianoTeq but I'm enjoying it.

Now that is the approach to take IMHO actually not humble IMO!!!

Really Pianoteq is great for the interaction it provides. Stop nit-picking the software so much. Yes it has flaws but come on folk for the little $ the stage cost it really is a bargain especially now in version 6.

I don't know if they will ever get rid of the metallic ting as some call it but it really is a lot less now then it was in say version 4. How about support this great software so it can improve for all of us. I love that the size of the program is so small compared to say Garritan CFX.

Peace

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
Re: Pianoteq 6.6 Bechstein audio Samples [Re: Mta88] #2960417 03/25/20 07:24 PM
J
JoeThePro Offline
J
I've been messing with the Bechstein Sweet, and with a little EQ, it really shines played through the built-in speakers on the ES8. Im so impressed with these speakers.
The upper half of the keyboard sounds a little loud though, or maybe its the lower half that sounds quieter, I cant tell. There are some very unpleasant resonances I've encountered in the 4th-6th octaves, so I need to mess with EQ and speaker position more to try to calm them down. But overall, wow what a sound.

Re: Pianoteq 6.6 Bechstein audio Samples [Re: JoeThePro] #2960462 03/25/20 09:57 PM
M
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I've been out of the loop for a while but just looked in and saw this topic. So Modartt has modeled a sampled version of a Bechstein? A model of a sampled digital piano? If that's right I didn't think I'd see the day that a digital sampled piano was so good it would be modeled instead of its acoustic source.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
Re: Pianoteq 6.6 Bechstein audio Samples [Re: Macy] #2960466 03/25/20 10:07 PM
J
JoeThePro Offline
J
Originally Posted by Macy
I've been out of the loop for a while but just looked in and saw this topic. So Modartt has modeled a sampled version of a Bechstein? A model of a sampled digital piano? If that's right I didn't think I'd see the day that a digital sampled piano was so good it would be modeled instead of its acoustic source.

No they have modeled an actual Bechstein. I don't think anyone would model a sample!

Re: Pianoteq 6.6 Bechstein audio Samples [Re: JoeThePro] #2960481 03/25/20 11:01 PM
M
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by JoeThePro
No they have modeled an actual Bechstein. I don't think anyone would model a sample!

So what does this mean (from the Pianoteq website):

C. Bechstein DIGITAL GRAND
"This physical model of C. Bechstein DIGITAL GRAND is originally derived from a C. Bechstein D 282 concert grand piano, captured by the acclaimed Teldex Recording studio in Berlin."

Sure sounds to me like they modeled the DIGITAL GRAND, not the original acoustic. The digital grand was sampled from the acoustic.

Is that not what they are saying?

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
Re: Pianoteq 6.6 Bechstein audio Samples [Re: Mta88] #2960482 03/25/20 11:04 PM
F
Fleer Offline
F
Exactly. Pianoteq modeled the Bechstein Digital Grand sampled by Bechstein.

Re: Pianoteq 6.6 Bechstein audio Samples [Re: Macy] #2960487 03/25/20 11:30 PM
J
JoeThePro Offline
J

"This physical model of C. Bechstein DIGITAL GRAND is originally derived from a C. Bechstein D 282 concert grand piano, captured by the acclaimed Teldex Recording studio in Berlin."

Sure sounds to me like they modeled the DIGITAL GRAND, not the original acoustic. The digital grand was sampled from the acoustic.

Ha, I stand corrected!

Re: Pianoteq 6.6 Bechstein audio Samples [Re: Mta88] #2960494 03/26/20 12:08 AM
C
Craig Richards Offline
C
Yes, Fleer is correct. Modartt created their C.Bechstein D282 model using the recordings made by Bechstein's engineers and recording engineer Tobias Lehmann at Teldex Studios as audio reference for their model. The same samples (plus some very extensive scripting) were used in the official C.Bechstein Digital Grand which runs in Kontakt. I have both the Pianoteq C.Bechstein D282 model & the Kontakt based C.Bechstein Digital.

Pianist, Composer & Arranger
Re: Pianoteq 6.6 Bechstein audio Samples [Re: Craig Richards] #2960501 03/26/20 12:52 AM
H
Harpuia Offline
H
Originally Posted by Craig Richards
Yes, Fleer is correct. Modartt created their C.Bechstein D282 model using the recordings made by Bechstein's engineers and recording engineer Tobias Lehmann at Teldex Studios as audio reference for their model. The same samples (plus some very extensive scripting) were used in the official C.Bechstein Digital Grand which runs in Kontakt. I have both the Pianoteq C.Bechstein D282 model & the Kontakt based C.Bechstein Digital.

Between Pianoteq C.Bechstein and Kontakt C.Bechstein Digital Grand, which one do you prefer?

Re: Pianoteq 6.6 Bechstein audio Samples [Re: Harpuia] #2960518 03/26/20 02:46 AM
G
Galuwen Offline
G
Originally Posted by Harpuia
Originally Posted by Craig Richards

Between Pianoteq C.Bechstein and Kontakt C.Bechstein Digital Grand, which one do you prefer?

How about the Casio GP510 in comparison?

C Bechstein everywhere :-).

Galuwen

Re: Pianoteq 6.6 Bechstein audio Samples [Re: Macy] #2960622 03/26/20 10:23 AM
MacMacMac Offline
Welcom back, Macy. You've been absent for quite some time.
Originally Posted by JoeThePro

Re: Pianoteq 6.6 Bechstein audio Samples [Re: Mta88] #2960626 03/26/20 10:33 AM
CyberGene Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Mac, I've noticed you get annoyed by any suggestion that Pianoteq Bechstein DG is modeled after samples and not after a real piano and that always puzzles me. Is this just a general dissatisfaction you have with statements that are not 100% confirmed by an independent and certified laboratory or it's that you doubt a model can be made based on samples?

Last edited by CyberGene; 03/26/20 10:34 AM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Re: Pianoteq 6.6 Bechstein audio Samples [Re: Mta88] #2960627 03/26/20 10:34 AM
MacMacMac Offline
You've got the wrong person, CG. I don't know or care how that Bechstein was created.
I was simply greeting Macy, who we've not seen for a long time.

Re: Pianoteq 6.6 Bechstein audio Samples [Re: MacMacMac] #2960629 03/26/20 10:38 AM
CyberGene Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
You've got the wrong person, CG. I don't know or care how that Bechstein was created.
I was simply greeting Macy, who we've not seen for a long time.

Ahh, OK, was reading between the lines. I remember the last time I suggested exactly the same thing as Macy (that according to Pianoteq themselves, they modeled it after the samples of the Bechstein DG), you got rather annoyed and I was left with the impression you don't like theories and speculations. But I might be wrong and thinking of someone else. Apologies.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Re: Pianoteq 6.6 Bechstein audio Samples [Re: Mta88] #2960645 03/26/20 11:22 AM
E
EVC2017 Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
I have not followed all this (and previous) discussions about Pianoteq being modelled after a physical piano vs. samples but I guess the first step to modeling any physical (AP, UP whatever) piano would be sampling it to perform an spectral/dynamic/whatever analysis over the samples. Other parts of the modeling that try reproducing other parts of the piano related to body/soundboard/room etc. could use other sources by I do not see how the process could work without sampling as a starting point.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
Re: Pianoteq 6.6 Bechstein audio Samples [Re: Mta88] #2960646 03/26/20 11:23 AM
G
Gombessa Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
I thought that ALL the different Pianoteq pianos are based on reference samples? How do they claim a model sounds like a Steingraeber if they don't make it sound like a Steingraeber?

The Bechstein Digital Grand is kind of odd to me. Some people are saying it's based on the same original sampling session used for the Digital Grand, some say it's sampled directly from the Digital Grand. Those sound like very different claims to me. There should be little that distinguishes one master recording session from another. You can choose your instrument, environment, mics, player, techniques, but in the end it's a true, direct sample of a real acoustic instrument.

But if it's actually sampling the "digital grand" product, that suggests it's inheriting all the loss of bitrate, fidelity/compression, scripted effects, looping, filters, etc. needed to manipulate a raw master sample into a typical built-in hardware piano tone, which seems like it would be a lot of loss and kind of pointless.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Re: Pianoteq 6.6 Bechstein audio Samples [Re: MacMacMac] #2960655 03/26/20 11:47 AM
J
Jake Jackson Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
J
Version 6.7 of Pianoteq introduces two new, significant controls: the duration of specific frequencies in the resonance and the EQ of the resonance. Makes a big difference in the sound, to my ears. Check out some of the recent demo's on the fxp page: https://forum.modartt.com/fxpcorner/index.php . Clicking on the name of the audio file in the middle column will play the file. The ones that experiment with the two new controls mention that fact or include the abbreviation "res" in the name.

Re: Pianoteq 6.6 Bechstein audio Samples [Re: Mta88] #2960661 03/26/20 11:56 AM
MacMacMac Offline
Perhaps we need to clarify what we mean by samples.

Modart would have to listen to the subject piano using microphone(s), and would then record the sounds.
And then do their magic analysis to be able to render the piano algorithmically / modelistically.
So does that recording count as "sampling".

Or maybe that completely wrong. Maybe they listen with ears only? And then tweak some magic to get PT to produce the sound.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pieces to learn or listen to during COVID-19 pandemic
by Tubbie0075 - 03/28/20 09:00 PM
Self-isolation
by MarieJ - 03/28/20 08:57 PM
Essential Services?
by malkin - 03/28/20 08:34 PM
Why are Kawai and Nord doing this?
by Almaviva - 03/28/20 06:53 PM
MP7SE vs S7 Pro vs Grandstage
by PeterGr - 03/28/20 05:39 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,751
Posts2,939,775
Members96,393
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission