2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
38 registered members (cmb13, 20/20 Vision, David B, Boboulus, Beowulf, camperbc, carlspost, CharlesXX, 7 invisible), 305 guests, and 384 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 200 of 200 1 2 198 199 200
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2958642 03/19/20 01:56 PM
MacMacMac Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
@Tom: I presume that **normal** listening level is far below the "volume maxed" level you speak of. If so, then this seems entirely acceptable.

@lepianiste: I **almost** never had any hissing problem. I once had some hiss that I traced to a crappy equalizer.
With no input sounds, and with the equalizer plugged in to the amp, I'd get some hiss.
When I unplugged the equalizer from the amp I got no noise at all ... unless the amp volume was near max.
So I replaced that equalizer. Problem solved.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods, and more!
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: MacMacMac] #2958644 03/19/20 01:59 PM
TomLC Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
@Tom: I presume that **normal** listening level is far below the "volume maxed" level you speak of. If so, then this seems entirely acceptable.

Correct. I only thought to test this because of this topic. I otherwise would not have known. smile

[Linked Image]
Novice with a Novus.....?
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: TomLC] #2958646 03/19/20 02:13 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by TomLC

Correct. I only thought to test this because of this topic. I otherwise would not have known. smile

Same, the only reason I know is because of the previous buzzing/hissing threads smile

The NV-10 should really be silent at rest. It shouldn't be buzzing/hissing/white-noising. lepianiste, it may be time to contact Kawai service in your region. Possibly there's some bad shielding/grounding on a wire in your unit?

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2958661 03/19/20 03:20 PM
JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Same here, no hiss noticeable unless I turn up the volume and put my ear next to the speaker.

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: JoBert] #2958669 03/19/20 03:55 PM
N
navindra Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by JoBert
Same here, no hiss noticeable unless I turn up the volume and put my ear next to the speaker.

This thread is too long now... because there is some history of this already:

navindra: http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...wai-novus-nv10-hands-on.html#Post2805999

Gombessa: http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...wai-novus-nv10-hands-on.html#Post2806011

JoBert: http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...wai-novus-nv10-hands-on.html#Post2806041

Software changes, ears change, perceptions change.

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On [Re: navindra] #2958676 03/19/20 04:49 PM
L
lepianiste Offline
L
thanks everyone. I'll check the old posts and if nothing works I'll get in touch with Kawai

Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On: My COVID-19 Recording [Re: JoBert] #2959529 03/22/20 12:18 PM
N
navindra Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Last Dance is an incredibly beautiful piece originally performed and composed by Sarah McLachlan for her album Surfacing. This short piece manages to be quite sad, yet also somewhat happy and hopeful, at the same time; I'm still not sure if it's in C Major, A Minor, or an exotic key like D Dorian. It feels so apt for the COVID-19 era.

I learned this piece for my teacher's piano party, which got cancelled, like everything else around here, so of course, I had to record my virtual performance on my Novus.

The original piece is played on a detuned piano, so I agonized a fair amount on how to best render this.

This free MIDI Recorder app is quite excellent for recording MIDI via Bluetooth; I used it extensively.

Korg Module Pro on iOS with the expansion packs was also really good for experimenting. The Ivory pianos with the String and Syn Pad layers really help show what is possible in production. The cinematic pianos were also interesting to play with. I was strongly tempted to layer in a pad, but ultimately I chose purity of performance over production value.

The Pianoteq demo also impressed me with its versatility. I liked several of the Recording and Cinematic pianos. There is just so much to choose from. I had considered Modern U on the strength of David B's recommendation, however, the iLok requirement is not something I'm willing to compromise on -- I only mention this because Pianoteq has an amazing U4 model that also sounds very clean.

Either way, I've got nothing but beginner skills and I'm certainly not a producer. What I ended up with is what I ended up with... let me know your thoughts.

Criticism is welcome and needed -- the feedback from my first recording on the Novus was very much appreciated -- I've certainly got a lot of work to do.

Thanks and stay safe!

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On: My COVID-19 Recording [Re: navindra] #2960334 03/25/20 02:47 PM
N
navindra Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by navindra

The original piece is played on a detuned piano, so I agonized a fair amount on how to best render this.

So, there were exactly zero bites or feedback here to inform me if my second recording attempt on the Novus was Good, Bad, or Terrible. Perhaps a case of the old adage -- if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?

For the record, I used very different settings from my first recording on the Novus where I used Classic with Resonance bumped up to 8. This time I used Rich with Resonance at the minimum of 1 and I changed Reverb to Echo which I set to 1/4. It's not exactly the detuned upright effect on the original record, but I was pleased with the subtlety of it.

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On: My COVID-19 Recording [Re: JoBert] #2960337 03/25/20 03:00 PM
CyberGene Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Navindra, well, here's a feedback, since you wanted it.

I like the sound. From the current crop of digital pianos, Yamaha and Kawai are the best sounding ones, most probably due to using samples and I'm a fan of sampled pianos. I have slight remarks regarding the Kawai way of producing bass notes that are way too thick and at the same time clean (in a bass-guitar like fashion) but I've already said that in the past and it's not something that's too bad, just a remark. BTW, the modifications that you did to the sound are good, very realistic, maybe better than what I usually hear in demos of the Kawai Pianist mode.

I also like your playing, considering you're a beginner. You already show signs of good dynamics control which I think is what pianos are mostly about, isn't it smile Your hands also play in good sync, I don't hear chord tones that are played at different times due to lack of finger coordination and that's a good sign that you're progressing well. You can try improving your sense of rhythmic freedom. It seems like you try to much to play correctly and the fluidity of the piece is a bit sacrificed.

I like your setup and the video quality, lightning, framing smile

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On: My COVID-19 Recording [Re: CyberGene] #2960344 03/25/20 03:13 PM
N
navindra Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Navindra, well, here's a feedback, since you wanted it.

I like the sound. From the current crop of digital pianos, Yamaha and Kawai are the best sounding ones, most probably due to using samples and I'm a fan of sampled pianos. I have slight remarks regarding the Kawai way of producing bass notes that are way too thick and at the same time clean (in a bass-guitar like fashion) but I've already said that in the past and it's not something that's too bad, just a remark. BTW, the modifications that you did to the sound are good, very realistic, maybe better than what I usually hear in demos of the Kawai Pianist mode.

I also like your playing, considering you're a beginner. You already show signs of good dynamics control which I think is what pianos are mostly about, isn't it smile Your hands also play in good sync, I don't hear chord tones that are played at different times due to lack of finger coordination and that's a good sign that you're progressing well. You can try improving your sense of rhythmic freedom. It seems like you try to much to play correctly and the fluidity of the piece is a bit sacrificed.

I like your setup and the video quality, lightning, framing smile

Wow, thanks a lot, CG! That was way more on the positive side than what I was imagining... laugh

Thanks a ton for the invaluable feedback on rhythmic freedom and fluidity. This piece was actually more difficult for me than what it looked like on paper, so it's great to have this guidance and outside perspective. 👍

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On: My COVID-19 Recording [Re: JoBert] #2960367 03/25/20 05:05 PM
TomLC Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Navindra, I liked this. Your playing was nice. I thought the sound of the piano was beautiful! I am surprised that the settings were Rich - Echo. I am going to try that right now. Maybe it won’t sound so nice over headphones.

[Linked Image]
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On: My COVID-19 Recording [Re: TomLC] #2960455 03/25/20 09:50 PM
N
navindra Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Navindra, I liked this. Your playing was nice. I thought the sound of the piano was beautiful! I am surprised that the settings were Rich - Echo. I am going to try that right now. Maybe it won’t sound so nice over headphones.

Thanks very much, Tom! Hopefully these settings worked out for you.

Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On: My COVID-19 Recording [Re: JoBert] #2960554 03/26/20 06:25 AM
Kawai James Offline
navindra, thanks for sharing your video. I also think those settings sounds rather good!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On: My COVID-19 Recording [Re: JoBert] #2960648 03/26/20 11:28 AM
G
Gombessa Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Navindra,

Very nice playing, you're putting in a lot of effort and I'm really sad to hear your teacher's piano party was cancelled.

I can't really comment on the piano tone, because I typically watch YT on a laptop with poor speakers, so everything comes out sounding lowest-common-denominator smile

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On: My COVID-19 Recording [Re: JoBert] #2960706 03/26/20 01:39 PM
TomLC Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I tried your settings with headphone and that Echo, even at 25% is too much for me.

[Linked Image]
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On: My COVID-19 Recording [Re: TomLC] #2960752 03/26/20 03:55 PM
N
navindra Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Kawai James
navindra, thanks for sharing your video. I also think those settings sounds rather good!

Thanks James for your earlier guidance!

Originally Posted by Gombessa
Very nice playing, you're putting in a lot of effort and I'm really sad to hear your teacher's piano party was cancelled.

Thank you Gombessa, I really did put a ton of effort into this. However, on the original day of the performance, I completely failed to record it to my satisfaction in any of my takes, and I was clearly not performance ready. After another week of practice, it was much easier to get good takes.

Perhaps if I had spent another week of practice, it would look effortless instead of looking like I put a lot of effort into it! laugh

I tried your settings with headphone and that Echo, even at 25% is too much for me.

I also cranked Resonance down to the minimum of 1. I probably wouldn't use Echo for day to day general practice though.

Page 200 of 200 1 2 198 199 200

Moderated by  Piano World 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pieces to learn or listen to during COVID-19 pandemic
by Tubbie0075 - 03/28/20 09:00 PM
Self-isolation
by MarieJ - 03/28/20 08:57 PM
Essential Services?
by malkin - 03/28/20 08:34 PM
Why are Kawai and Nord doing this?
by Almaviva - 03/28/20 06:53 PM
MP7SE vs S7 Pro vs Grandstage
by PeterGr - 03/28/20 05:39 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,751
Posts2,939,763
Members96,393
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission